Author Topic: Liverpool vs Nottingham Forest (Premier League) - 14:00, Sunday 29th October  (Read 6590 times)

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
Liverpool vs Nottingham Forest

14:00, Sunday 29th October
Anfield
Premier League
Referee: Chris Kavanagh

Liverpool host Nottingham Forest at Anfield this Sunday afternoon, as the Premier League enters its second quarter of the 2023-24 season. Jurgen Klopp’s side beat Everton 2-0 at Anfield last time out, and currently sit fourth in the table – three points behind leaders Spurs, after an encouraging start. Visiting Forest occupy 15th, and drew 2-2 with Luton Town after a late comeback from the Hatters last weekend – they go into the weekend six points clear of the drop zone. Supports of both the Reds and Steve Cooper’s side can feel encouraged by the start to the campaign, but – for varying reasons – will feel a little frustrated that their games to date haven’t yielded at least a couple more points.

Famous rivals of yesteryear, Liverpool and Forest had gone almost twenty-three years without meeting prior to being drawn together in the quarter final of the 2022 FA Cup – Liverpool won 1-0, courtesy of a Diogo Jota goal, on their way to claiming the trophy. Former Liverpool forward, Taiwo Awoniyi scored the winner in a shock 1-0 win in Nottingham that October – the match was the sides’ last league meeting since 1999. Forest’s first Anfield visit since October 1998 came back in April – Klopp’s side were struggling down in 8th, having taken just one win from their previous five matches, whilst Cooper’s visiting side had recently dropped into the relegation zone, with just three points and no wins in ten games. Goalless at half-time, a lively second half saw Forest equalise twice before Mohamed Salah’s 70th minute winner – the 3-2 win was a second win in a decent run to the end of the season for the Reds (seven wins in an eleven match unbeaten run), whilst Forest would lose just once more as they steered themselves clear of relegation with a late season upturn in form.

Forest supporters had endured a dismal quarter of a century or so of following their side prior to their promotion campaign in 2021-22. They were relegated from the Premier League twice, in 1997 and 1999, and dropped into the third tier for three seasons from 2005. There was only really one push for Premier League promotion during this period, fired by the goals of Robert Earnshaw under Billy Davies in 2010. Supporters expected nothing good from their 2021-22 campaign when Chris Hughton was sacked in mid-September – Forest had picked up just a single point from their opening seven matches, and looked like relegation certainties. Steve Cooper was appointed a week later, however, and he oversaw a remarkable turnaround. Forest lost just six more matches on their charge up the Championship table, ultimately finishing fourth and securing promotion courtesy of a Levi Colwill own-goal for Huddersfield Town in the playoff final.

Promoted somewhat unexpectedly and with a squad bolstered by loanees, before then signing more than twenty players during the summer 2022 transfer window, 2022-23 was always set to be an exciting but uncertain ride for Forest. Unsurprisingly, Cooper’s disjointed side endured a difficult opening period of the season – they took just four points from their opening nine matches and propped up the table, albeit picking up slightly in the period prior to the World Cup break. Their form after the break and through to early-February offered real encouragement, however – eleven points from six matches almost doubled their points-tally and saw them rise to 13th. Forest would go on to falter during the spring, taking just three draws from eleven matches and sliding back into the drop zone, but a strong end to the season saw them secure survival with a game to spare – three late-season home wins (against Brighton & Hove Albion, Southampton, and Arsenal) proving key.

It was another busy transfer window for Nottingham Forest this year, albeit not competing with last summer’s number of acquisitions. New goalleeper Matt Turner and forwards Chris Wood & Anthony Elanga are notable signings, alongside World Cup-winner Gonzalo Montiel and Liverpool-favourite Divock Origi. It’s been a reasonable start for Forest – their three defeats have all been away defeats in games they’ve have expected little from (Arsenal, United, and City), whilst they’ve beaten newly-promoted Sheffield United and struggling Chelsea. The four draw in their opening nine matches represent cause for some frustration, however – particular having to come from behind at home to Burnley and wasting a 2-0 lead at home to Luton last time out. The draws against Brentford and Palace are likely less of a concern, but they’re the type of sides they should be aspiring to join in the relative safety of the lower mid-table and wins against the likes of Burnley and Luton are key to achieving that.

Jurgen Klopp’s side have had a good week following the recent international break, taking a 2-0 win from last weekend’s Merseyside derby before putting five goals past Toulouse in the week – the frustration of the Spurs debacle and the dropped points against Brighton now feel a long time ago. The Reds have what appears to be an attractive run of fixtures prior to a trickier festive period, and will be keen to ensure they get the expected jobs done in matches such as these. Forest have what appears to be a tough run of fixtures (Liverpool, Villa, West Ham, Brighton & Hove) before what could prove to be a pivotal week in early December (Everton, Fulham, Wolves) – their supporters are unlikely to expect much from Sunday’s match, but will recall last autumns victory and take that as encouragement for mild-optimism ahead of what is effectively a free hit. A tenth league game of the season for both sides, Sunday’s match is key to a mid-autumn period that will see supporters’ hopes & expectations for the remainder of the season adjusted or consolidated according to their form.

Offline shank94

• Currently at minus 10 and falling...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Thanks for the write up!

They are missing most of their key attacking players including Taiwo, Elanga, Hudson-Odoi and our very own Divock. They've got their throw-in merchant fit for this one so set pieces is probably the biggest way they get something.

I think after the previous game, 9 of the team probably choose themselves, wondering whether it will be Diaz, Gakpo with Salah.
Everyone knows it's Shanks, Shank is part of my name.

Offline marios_moustache

• Kopite
Unsure where to post this. Due to illness I am unable to attend the Forest game and have put 3 tickets together in U9 on the official ticket resale

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
Steve Cooper looks like he's on a night out and popped 2 doves abar half an hour ago.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
Thanks for the OP jack. Really informative, and we really should be able to win this and maintain their losing away form against the big sides… and Man Utd.

They actually had chances to get a draw late in that Arsenal game so they can be stubborn, hard to break down and compete.

However we’re a different proposition to the team that struggled against them last season, and at home I’d like to think we can win scoring a few goals.

Hopefully we can avoid going one down early and have a more comfortable afternoon.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online RedG13

• Legacy Fan
Great Op  Jack.
Expecting strongest possible team.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
We should really have too much for these and a few other teams we're playing in the coming weeks. Despite them signing tons of players I don't really know who plays for them and they threw away a good lead against Luton last week which should translate to a lot of chances tomorrow.

Alisson
Trent   Konate   VVD   Tsimikas
Mac Allister   Gravenberch   Szoboszlai
Salah   Nunez   Diaz

Should be our strongest team right now. Ideally we'll get a commanding lead and can take a few off ahead of the cup tie on Wednesday.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
Come on Redmen!!
Thanks for a detailed op Jack. Their injuries are worse than I realised and so I can only believe they will be here to frustrate. We could d9 with a first half goal to draw them out. Think we win by two clear goals.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Thanks for the write up!

They are missing most of their key attacking players including Taiwo, Elanga, Hudson-Odoi and our very own Divock. They've got their throw-in merchant fit for this one so set pieces is probably the biggest way they get something.

I think after the previous game, 9 of the team probably choose themselves, wondering whether it will be Diaz, Gakpo with Salah.

Ha! How often have we come up against a team missing their goal scorers and suffered the only goal ever scored by a substitute left back playing centre forward. >:(

These are the games we need to win, score early, don’t concede and then score a couple more.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
Was interesting to see Forest switch from a possession based team to a counter attacking team half way into last season. Completely against the grain of current trends but was a very pragmatic approach by Cooper which ultimately led to them staying up. Imagine they'll be happy for us to pass it around at the back and deny us space in their own half. They'll break with pace and power on the turnover. Will be keeping an eye on Murillo who has shown early signs of being a talented LCB/LB and maybe one to look at in the summer.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
Figure with their injuries they’ll be super defensive and try to nick a goal by hook or by crook. Just need to be patient and not lose our concentration and we should be fine. Not really concerned about the lineup other than I’d prefer Darwin starts. We’re solid favorites and need to get the 3 points here. Up the Reds!

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Another game I'll miss due to working so I'm relying on our magnificent Comms team to keep track of things 👍

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Gravenberch and 10 others will destroy these lot.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Baldy smells we're coming...

Pep Guardiola:

"When I finish at City, Liverpool have been our [biggest] rival. They make us a challenge, higher and higher, and help make us a better team in all departments. They challenged us like no other team has done before, in my period here..."

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
3 points please.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Safe to say Luis Diaz will be given compassionate leave for the next game(s)?

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
Put on A strong team, 3 point, no injury, thx!
Believer

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
Can't even remember what happened v these last season... should be an easy win, right?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
We won 3-2 at home last season, wasn’t easy! Hoping today will be more so
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
With Diaz likely out is Doak back yet?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
Jota Salah n Nunez to start up top n hope Diaz parents are safe. Just highlights it's just s game as the lad must be a bag of nerves with worry. Fingers crossed the boys will continue their good form.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
Like to see Gakpo on the left wing if Diaz doesn't play. Hardly played there for us but arguably his best position.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
Like to see Gakpo on the left wing if Diaz doesn't play. Hardly played there for us but arguably his best position.

Think he’s still been eased back, no? Think it’ll be Jota.

Would like to see Gravenberch start again, not sure he will.

Offline Stevo79

• Kopite
I would think Grav is nailed on to start. A three of him, Mac and Dom.

Offline zamagiure

• tujenkins
  • Legacy Fan
Only 24 posts on this. Is there a sence of complacency.
mines a pint

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
Jota, Nunez and Salah for me. Jones is back for this one right?

Offline shank94

• Legacy Fan
Jota, Nunez and Salah for me. Jones is back for this one right?

This is the last game, he will available in the next domestic fixture.

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK

Yes I think so probably
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
They've actually managed to assemble a fair amount of attacking talent in their recent splurge of money; Awoniyi, Hudson-Odoi, Elanga, and of course the legendary Origi. Neco bombing on from right back likely adds a lot too.

Most of those players seem to be out injured or touch and go for this game though so I think it'll be a real fuck up if we don't win here. I can see a couple of Aurier braindead moments leading to easy goals.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

Tbf the thread only went up yesterday and since then we’ve had news about Diaz and his family.

Klopp and the players certainly won’t show any complacency. Let’s get the job done Reds.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
Put them to the sword. Show no mercy.

Online The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 01:02:20 pm by The Final Third »

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
Largely as expected and nice to see our biggest goal threats all on the pitch together.

Looks like Forest have Elanga as a lone striker so we shouldn't have too much threat to deal with.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
Most obvious 11 of the season that one. Forest with 5 at the back and 3 DM's.

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
No Divock for them.

Offline shank94

• Legacy Fan
Most obvious 11 of the season that one. Forest with 5 at the back and 3 DM's.

Won't be surprised if they park the team bus inside Anfield ffs

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Origi not even on the bench, didn't realise he was injured.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Nice line up that. Looking forward to this one.