Author Topic: Number of games we have to play at 12:30 kickoffs-Not just after internationals  (Read 5963 times)

Offline shank94

• Currently at minus 10 and falling...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
How is it dividing the fan base?

The more you are shown at primetime the more chance you have of capturing the heart of a neutral fan or the next generation of fans.

It is all about exposure. I mean look at how keen the club was to play the 39th game abroad or why teams routinely jet halfway around the world for preseason tours.

Exposure equals more TV money and crucially bigger commercial deals. The other thing is that the Club isn't going to complain about playing in the 12:30 slot especially when playing in the Europa League limits the number of times you can play on TV.

Sky get the majority of first picks with 19 going to the 16:30 Sunday. That slot usually gets the biggest game of the weekend. So if there is a top game then we aren't going to get that slot and you can only be picked for the 2pm slot five times a season.

We know how exposure works but Klopp can be quoted as far back as to 2018 speaking against these kick offs. So considering your continuous conjecture, Klopp has been regularly and knowingly been shafted by the club every single time this has happened in the past 5 years, which is around double digits. So it's even more confusing when you say "So it will be up to Klopp to speak out again."
Everyone knows it's Shanks, Shank is part of my name.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
We know how exposure works but Klopp can be quoted as far back as to 2018 speaking against these kick offs. So considering your continuous conjecture, Klopp has been regularly and knowingly been shafted by the club every single time this has happened in the past 5 years, which is around double digits. So it's even more confusing when you say "So it will be up to Klopp to speak out again."

Firstly it isn't the clubs choice when it plays. Each weekend the TV companies get to pick which games are televised.

BT/TNT bought the package for thirty two  12:30 kick offs per season. 20 of those fixtures are 2nd picks and 12 are 5th picks.

So the only way we get a 12:30 kick off is if Sky do not pick us.Then you get the situation in which certain games can only be played in certain slots. For instance Europa League teams can only play Sunday after a Thursday game and the Police get a say on high risk games.

Currently the maximum number of 12:30 League games a club can play is 6 per season. Liverpool could easily lobby for that to be reduced. The other clubs who don't get as many games would be delighted. The issue for LFC would be that we would be cutting our income whilst increasing other clubs income.

Klopps job is to look after the players welfare and to win as many games as possible. The commercial side of the clubs job is to bring in as much revenue as possible.

Klopp has made it clear he doesn't like pre season tours. That hasn't stopped us going to the Far East for the last couple of seasons and lining up a trip to the States for this summer.

The brutal reality is that if you want to compete at the top then getting as much revenue from TV and tours comes with the territory.

We are contracted to play up to 6 12:30s a season. That can be changed in the next TV deal currently being negotiated and the club could push for fewer games but I wouldn't hold my breath
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline tray fenny

• virtue signaling keyboard warrior
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It's not bad.

Since 17/18 there's been 10 games played at 12.30 after an international break
6 wins, 2 defeats (both to Abu Dhabi), 2 draws (v Manc United and Everton).
why should we always have to overcome adversity?
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
I used to enjoy the 7,30 a.m games when they first started showing over here. Trying to guarantee 10 or so people would show up,so the bar would open and then the  wait till 8 a.m for a beer. ;) .Ya felt kinda like a to cool for school club.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I used to enjoy the 7,30 a.m games when they first started showing over here. Trying to guarantee 10 or so people would show up,so the bar would open and then the  wait till 8 a.m for a beer. ;) .Ya felt kinda like a to cool for school club.

I still like them as I have the rest of my day to get shit done.

except when we'd lose - then I angry all weekend.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
Klopp should start doing his Friday press conferences at 6am or 7am. The journalists would soon make their feelings known about the early starts.

Offline Kloppage Time

• Anny Roader
  • ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
Love them 12:30 kick offs!

Anyone can have a good day, but you have to be able to perform on a bad day.

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Bincey

• Legacy Fan
  • Is that Joe Pasquale? In the garden?
Seems we've another 12.30pm... This time away to Crystal Palace.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
Seems we've another 12.30pm... This time away to Crystal Palace.

And that's been bought forward, despite our game before that against Sheffield United being put back a day.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
So the Wednesday night league game then an away at Sat 12.30, of course. Absolute scum.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
That is ridiculous. Although a Saturday 12.30 away at Palace does bring back pleasant memories of that 7-0.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
Absolute piss take at this stage.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Can the club do anything or do they not care at all?

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
Can the club do anything or do they not care at all?

The TV contract allows for a team to have 6 games per season in the BT/TNT 12-30 slot per season.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Bincey

• Legacy Fan
  • Is that Joe Pasquale? In the garden?
The TV contract allows for a team to have 6 games per season in the BT/TNT 12-30 slot per season.

Would the Palace match make that 5?

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

Jeez, that’s unbalanced.
Six to us, none to most.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
Would the Palace match make that 5?

4 I think.

Wolves A and Everton H played and then City A and Palace A.
Jeez, that’s unbalanced.
Six to us, none to most.

Each team has to feature at least once in the 12-30 slot.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Jeez, that’s unbalanced.
Six to us, none to most.

Chelsea/Spurs are getting a few, always seems to be Utd and City who miss out (unless they play us).

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
At least it's away. If they're going to kill the atmosphere it might as well be at the opposition's ground.

Pisses me off though that BT use us for our ratings and then give us that Everton Fan TV coverage we got on Saturday. They ruin matches with these kick off times and had the audacity to blame the ref for 'ruining the game' by doing his job and sending Young off. Even though the game was a total non-event before the red card with everyone still half asleep.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
Chelsea/Spurs are getting a few, always seems to be Utd and City who miss out (unless they play us).

BT/TNT sports has Thirty-two 12:30 kick-offs per season. Twenty of those are second picks and twelve are 5th picks. So unless it is on Police advice then you only get to play at 12:30 if Sky hasn't picked your game.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
At least it's away. If they're going to kill the atmosphere it might as well be at the opposition's ground.

Pisses me off though that BT use us for our ratings and then give us that Everton Fan TV coverage we got on Saturday. They ruin matches with these kick off times and had the audacity to blame the ref for 'ruining the game' by doing his job and sending Young off. Even though the game was a total non-event before the red card with everyone still half asleep.

The 12:30 slot is actually not bad for goals or xG.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
Another one in the offing in palace away. They like to give us the tricky ones for the graveyard slot.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to

The 12:30 slot is actually not bad for goals or xG.

They tend to pick up second half when everyone wakes up a bit, but they're such slow burners.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season