Author Topic: quirky things in modern football (that might annoy the shit out of you)  (Read 6283 times)

Online Kuytinho

• Kopite
Re: quirky things in modern football (that might annoy the shit out of you)
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2023, 02:53:42 pm »
Terms like....a false number 9, a roving number 8, a pivot an inverted something of other, it's all a load of annoying bollocks to me.
Definitely prefer this to hearing people say CDM and CAM.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2023, 03:01:03 pm »
A player missing a shot and the opposition fans in the background all throwing wanker signs and spewing all sorts of shit at said player. Utterly weird behaviour, rabid dogs
Good shout

Also when our fans (or away fans at anfield) obsessively watch opposition fans and do the same shit. there's a game on. stop being weird and engage with it or fuck off. noone with a brain cell is impressed with you throwing a wanker sign at someone 40m away from you

Offline TheMissionary

• PositionIsSoooooooOrdinary!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's nice, that's McDermott, and that's a goal!!
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2023, 05:01:38 pm »
A team concedes a goal, the camera pans across that team's fans, they see themselves on the big screen and they're up grinning and waving like sugar filled children.  f they really cared they'd have gobs on them or be angry (see my brother in law).  Gobshites.
TheMissionary
YNWA

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2023, 05:37:45 pm »
Remember when West Ham were leaving Upton Park?, and the media started calling it The Boleyn Ground in a bizarre effort to over romanticise the place, like it was hallowed ground or something, was just weird and it annoyed me at the time.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2023, 05:38:25 pm »
Remember when West Ham were leaving Upton Park?, and the media started calling it The Boleyn Ground in a bizarre effort to over romanticise the place, like it was hallowed ground or something, was just weird and it annoyed me at the time.

Didn't lose your head over it, though...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2023, 05:40:21 pm »
Terms like....a false number 9, a roving number 8, a pivot an inverted something of other, it's all a load of annoying bollocks to me.
It's horseshit, "we need a  6, but not a deep lying playmaker or a pure destroyer, we need a ball carrying libero or sweeper", fucking hell just call them a box to box/defensive/attacking/wide midfielder, it's fucking football hipster guff.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2023, 05:42:28 pm »
The only things rolling were my eyes in my head everytime I heard a talking head describe it as the "Storied Boleyn", what's storied about it?, I can not remember a famous night at Upton Park in my lifetime.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2023, 09:42:39 pm »
It's horseshit, "we need a  6, but not a deep lying playmaker or a pure destroyer, we need a ball carrying libero or sweeper", fucking hell just call them a box to box/defensive/attacking/wide midfielder, it's fucking football hipster guff.
sorry, but box to box would have to go into room 101 if you're getting rid of those terms

Offline coct3au

• twins with arsefinger
  • Kopite
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2023, 05:32:09 pm »
It winds me up that people get wound up about the ball being legitimately in the quadrant, and then the referees getting it wrong.

The whole ball all the way over the line - unless it's a corner, in which case the ball inexplicably has to be touching and everyone gets very cross about it not touching.

Get over it.

It's totally legit, sure, but I do find the pointlessness of it quite amusing. Almost like they need to grab that extra 10cm, because they aren't sure they can kick it all the way into the box, otherwise? ;D

Also:

Water breaks

Linespeople that wait for the referee to decide absolutely everything

"You'll never stop this flame, I will never let you go"

Any "Premier League record", or other implication that football was invented in 1992

Stopping the game when there is clearly no serious injury risk

Believing that the offside law was genuinely intended to punish someone whose shoulder is 1cm ahead of a defender

Too much football, and taking it all too seriously

And actually, the lack of quirkiness, ie the blandification of everything. Where are the maverick, unpredictable, slightly insane characters? Whatever happened to the heroes?

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2023, 03:28:14 pm »
The fella who sits behind every goal in English football shouting "AWAY!" every time the ball comes into the box. Classic of the genre at Brentford v Spurs right now.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2023, 03:58:39 pm »

;D

I'm getting married to the lady next door
she's been married seven times before
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline RMG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2023, 06:40:55 pm »
Sky showing you the highlight of an incident 3 times, then the managers reaction and then maybe a player or two reaction to it and then when they cut back the game has carried on and we are missing the game.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2023, 10:26:01 am »
Sky showing you the highlight of an incident 3 times, then the managers reaction and then maybe a player or two reaction to it and then when they cut back the game has carried on and we are missing the game.

Yesterday they decided to zoom in on Todd Boehly and then John Henry and you could hear the crowd getting excited about something on the pitch while we had to look at two old blokes who happen to own the clubs for ages instead.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2023, 10:31:00 am »
Compilation videos padding out the highlights with irrelevant stuff.  If I'm YouTube scouting a playmaker, I want to see him playmaking.  I don't want to see him playing a simple 10 yard pass and then a forward beating a man and tucking it away.  And then seeing another two replays of it from different angles.

The best videos are the ones where they just focus solely on the player you're there for and don't chuck in a bunch of replays.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2023, 10:34:26 am »
Social media…. Bloody annoying in the game.

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2023, 11:19:53 am »
Media training for players.  Understandably, there was a lot of noise around the Lionesses victory over the weekend.  They interviewed loads on 5-live in the 24 hours afterwards and all I heard was "process, process, journey, process, journey, journey, process, journey, journey, process."  They're all trained to say the same thing and it's just noise.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2023, 11:21:54 am »
Media training for players.  Understandably, there was a lot of noise around the Lionesses victory over the weekend.  They interviewed loads on 5-live in the 24 hours afterwards and all I heard was "process, process, journey, process, journey, journey, process, journey, journey, process."  They're all trained to say the same thing and it's just noise.

That's why I find interviews with the players extremely boring on Sky/BBC - Don't even watch post match interviews anymore. The best ones are either the clubs own behind the scenes bits, or the actual in depth sit downs with proper journalists.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2023, 11:27:04 am »
People with signs asking for shirts.

God yes. It's the absolute scourge of what is deemed as "normal" crowd behavior.  I honestly don't care who calls me a miserable c*nt and for me to chill out.  I hate it with a passion

Especially adults pushing their embarrassed kids forward to do it.   Even worse, grown adults holding the sign with no kids anywhere in sight.

Players lobbing a shirt into the crowd is great to see and it's a lucky dip for whoever grabs it.  More often than not, if an adult grabs it, then he/she hands it to the nearest kid anyway.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2023, 12:17:37 pm »
God yes. It's the absolute scourge of what is deemed as "normal" crowd behavior.  I honestly don't care who calls me a miserable c*nt and for me to chill out.  I hate it with a passion

Especially adults pushing their embarrassed kids forward to do it.   Even worse, grown adults holding the sign with no kids anywhere in sight.

Players lobbing a shirt into the crowd is great to see and it's a lucky dip for whoever grabs it.  More often than not, if an adult grabs it, then he/she hands it to the nearest kid anyway.

chill out, you miserable c*nt...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline RMG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2023, 12:36:54 pm »
Yesterday they decided to zoom in on Todd Boehly and then John Henry and you could hear the crowd getting excited about something on the pitch while we had to look at two old blokes who happen to own the clubs for ages instead.

Happens way too often, don't really get the need to show us an incident 3 times.

Twice is more than enough, plus it's slow motion.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2023, 12:44:38 pm »
sky showing geriatric billionaires while the crowd are reacting to something thats happening on the pitch, even unrelated to reactions. cannot fucking stand when that happens (as it did with henry/boely - i dont wanna watch those dickheads i want to watch football)

editing on a number of occasions was awful on the broadcast yesterday

oops sorry, beaten to it!

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2023, 05:07:38 pm »
Players cutting holes in their socks for their calf muscles. Twats.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2023, 05:13:37 pm »
Players cutting holes in their socks for their calf muscles. Twats.

You're my favourite poster on RAWK. Those players need to be shot and I don't care, if we have any players who do that. They're idiots as well...

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2023, 05:18:53 pm »
You're my favourite poster on RAWK. Those players need to be shot and I don't care, if we have any players who do that. They're idiots as well...

I can’t believe kit manufacturers don’t make bigger socks for them! It looks so shite. 

They do seem to make the legwarmer versions of socks these days - i.e. no feet  ;D  So players can wear those socks they all wear. Making the socks bigger surely can’t be that hard.

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2023, 05:33:53 pm »
And actually, the lack of quirkiness, ie the blandification of everything. Where are the maverick, unpredictable, slightly insane characters? Whatever happened to the heroes?

It’s a clinical science now with analysts/data/AI/whatever the newest fad is driving performance. If you’re showboating, you’re not contributing towards the target xG.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2023, 07:05:22 pm »
Teams bringing all players back to defend a corner (except perhaps 87mins+)

Surely every team has at least one pacy player who is crap at defending and will achieve far more defensively by occupying an opposition player or two on the half way line. than bumbling around in his own penalty area.

My corner theory is: put your playmaker about 35 yards out to receive the measured pass out of defence and your quickest attacker on the half way line to chase the hoofed clearance / or the through ball from the playmaker. If Im wrong, id welcome tactical correction.

Late to this but their is definite logic, and I think we are the best proponents of it.

If you keep players forward for a corner, the opposition just leave more players back which results in no counter attacking opportunity. Even if your attacker manages to get hold of a ball lumped up to him, he will be surrounded by defenders and all he will be able to do is hold the ball up whilst his team mates try and join him. Defensively you are also leaving more space in the area for the corner to be attacked which can never be a good thing.

By bringing every player back, you're more likely to make the opposition over commit, and then if you do get hold.of the ball you can break as one, with many more passing opportunities. The chance we created against Arsenal is a great example of this, and we've scored a ton of similar goals under Klopp - a few against West Ham spring to mind.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2023, 07:17:30 pm »
Nothing really annoys me about modern football*

*apart from the fans, players, managers, refs, football twitter, bantz, and the unending greed that permeates through every facet of it.

Offline tonysleft

• Legacy Fan
  • A manc
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2023, 07:31:42 pm »
The way the game has changed country wide since Guardiola arrived. It feels like every single team plays a differing level of the exact same kind of game now. God, Bolton and Burnley were shite to watch but at least there was a bit of variety.
Great chiefs and great loves in obliterated light

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2023, 09:20:33 pm »
The desire of all teams when in possession no matter where they are on the pitch to get the ball back go the goalie if no options seem available or they don't want to take any 'risks'.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2023, 09:33:17 pm »

And a ‘high press’ and/or a ‘low block’.  Load of nonsense.  Years ago it was called an attacking team v a defensive team.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2023, 11:30:56 pm »
The term XG. Absolute load of shit term made up by stat nerds.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2023, 11:38:12 pm »
Watching a match and continually being bombarded by ads by W88, Betway, Bet365, Unibet & BKB which take up about 80% of the time on the advertising boards at the ground.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #72 on: January 1, 2024, 12:36:59 am »
The term XG. Absolute load of shit term made up by stat nerds.

Exactly

The only expected goals is the 5 I expect before every game, 7 if it's the mancs

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #73 on: January 1, 2024, 12:59:22 am »
The way the game has changed country wide since Guardiola arrived. It feels like every single team plays a differing level of the exact same kind of game now. God, Bolton and Burnley were shite to watch but at least there was a bit of variety.
It’s not just pro football. You’ve got fat old geezers playing out from the back for the dog and duck on a Sunday morning.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline mightymoose1972

• Main Stander
« Reply #74 on: January 1, 2024, 01:01:49 am »
Every team playing goalkicks out of the 6 yard box, immediately putting themselves under pressure

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: January 1, 2024, 01:17:05 am »
I’m probably a miserable old sod but I absolutely hate with a passion away teams playing in change strips when there is absolutely zero colour clash.
Man City are guilty of this numerous times, Arsenal at Fulham earlier.
Thankfully we very rarely commit this offence.
I know it’s all about shirt sales etc… but it really gets on my tits.

Online Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #76 on: January 1, 2024, 08:41:59 am »
Half and half scarves

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #77 on: January 1, 2024, 10:51:32 am »
For me....

1. People trying to steal inches at corners and putting the ball as close as possible to being outside the quadrant thing.

Apparently it’s to stop them getting lime on the ball.
« Last Edit: January 1, 2024, 10:54:38 am by Redbonnie »

Offline Judge Red

• Kopite
« Reply #78 on: January 1, 2024, 11:52:27 am »
Having an AV monitor being wheeled out at the side of the pitch like the ones they did when I was at school in the 80s in the classroom

Offline Mahern

• Kopite
« Reply #79 on: January 1, 2024, 12:02:22 pm »
Radio commentators, just say what is happening on the pitch right now in front of your eyes. You'd swear we must have about 9% possession in most of our games the shit they chat. And fuck off with telling us what is happening at every other ground up and down the country including the conference every minute. Nobody gives a fuck. Just rattle off all the scores at half time and full time. Then people can concentrate on the commentated match. Fuck off.