Author Topic: quirky things in modern football (that might annoy the shit out of you)  (Read 6281 times)

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: quirky things in modern football (that might annoy the shit out of you)
« Reply #120 on: February 19, 2024, 01:59:57 pm »
The profile the referees have.

There was a saying that you never noticed a good referee. Unfortunately that's not the case nowadays . Many of them are in it to be seen and build a rep.

People know all their names whereas in the past you barely knew was reffing. Only the likes of Colina were well recognised but that was down to his greatness as a referee and his unique appearance. The recognition of his ability as a ref came later too if I recall correctly

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
Re: quirky things in modern football (that might annoy the shit out of you)
« Reply #121 on: February 19, 2024, 04:13:25 pm »
Media training for players.  Understandably, there was a lot of noise around the Lionesses victory over the weekend.  They interviewed loads on 5-live in the 24 hours afterwards and all I heard was "process, process, journey, process, journey, journey, process, journey, journey, process."  They're all trained to say the same thing and it's just noise.

I totally get the media training. It's needed because of what the media do, which is irritating.

I remember enjoying post match interviews in the 90's on 'The Match'. If Kenny had substituded Barnes off because he was having a poor match, everyone has a poor match, he could say that and there'd be no fall out at all. The player would probably agree, or disagree but say that that's the gaffers call. Do that nowadays and the media will quickly turn it into "Barnes and Dalglish post match spat" or something more headline making.

It's got so bad that even fans now think a manager shouldn't say anything like that in public, like that is normal. So post match interviews are just boring rehearsed lines, no matter what happened on the pitch.

I loathe the media so much.