Author Topic: Samie's Legendary Manager Draft  (Read 18974 times)

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
Re: Samie's Legendary Manager Draft
« Reply #600 on: August 27, 2021, 04:36:15 am »
Transfermarkt doesn't show anybody's games for Aztecs in that season (maybe it doesn't for NASL itself for certain seasons), that's the problem. It just shows who arrived and who departed. It clearly shows Michels was appointed mid 1978 while Best left on Jan 1st 1979. However, without details of games, it's hard to be sure.

Rinus Michels joined the LA Aztecs in November of 1978
https://www.nytimes.com/1979/08/22/archives/do-the-aztecs-have-worlds-best-coach-signed-johan-cruyff.html

The last game of 1978 played by George Best for LA Aztecs was on June 20th in a 4-0 loss to the Washington Diplomats at RFK Stadium    http://soccerstats.us/games/43018/
http://soccerstats.us/teams/los-angeles-aztecs/games/

He did not play another game after that for LA--- He moved onto the Ft Lauderdale Strikers during the same season in 1978 playing 9 games for the Ft Lauderdale (and playing the next season too in 1979)

https://www.statscrew.com/soccer/stats/p-bestgeo001

It was a great idea, that I wish had come true - but Rinus Michels didn't mess around with training (he wrote the USA manual on licensure and how to run sessions for coaches across the board here in the States).  The players he brought in Suurbier, Cruyff, Rongen, Di Bernardo (from IU) were class in training. George liked the beach, Besties bar in Manhattan Beach he ran with Ken Adams, and the women.  His mind was not on training as much in the late 70s.   By 80-81, he kind of got back into it with the San Jose Earthquakes - played a lot of games, show his genius, but physically he was losing pace and stamina - although he was still magic on the ball.   Good try mate, I was rooting for you!

Come to me next time you need anything NASL - one my good friends - his dad played for the St Louis Stars and Chicago Sting - plus I can call Rodney Marsh anytime on his phone show Grumpy Pundits :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 01:06:50 pm by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #601 on: August 27, 2021, 06:33:11 am »
Thanks mate. If Michel's joined in Nov. that makes Tommy Smith dubious as well as he only played till August. I will change this too.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #602 on: August 27, 2021, 07:49:15 am »
Yeah I have been reading a few articles for timings this morning. The League never seemed to run past November, so it's not likely Best would never have played a competitive game, and similar with Smith.

Apologies PIM. May be something for us to consider for future "manager" drafts, the research aspect of olden days football.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 07:55:15 am by Elzar »
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #603 on: August 27, 2021, 07:56:58 am »
Yeah, there are those who have offered their actual views and added to the discussion and then there are those who choose to be unnecessarily grumpy about it.

Comparing this to Messi really? It's clear none of the managers could pick him or he'd have been first pick. It's been clear right from the beginning that none of Messi's managers are in the game. How is it comparable to a scenario where we are talking about the 70s in a relatively unknown league with much less stats and images in the internet itself? I have evidence that Best played 10 days before Michels was appointed. However, since that is not of worth in this case, I didn't post the evidence. So, I was hoping to find evidence of him playing after that period (from July to August 1978). I know a few players who clearly played in the NASL, and yet it is difficult to find images of them in NASL. There's clearly discrepancy in the internet in this case on who joined when, and it was being rightly discussed with people adding value to the discussion regarding it. I took the points of those like Elzar, Drinks Sangria, Max and Lawnmowerman and took further the discussion with them because they wanted to genuinely help me in finding out one way or the other. I don't see why you want to reduce that to one demand - 'post a pic and get done or do one'. That's how your posts sound like.

I had less intentions of picking Best after I changed my pick, as I was already happy to give him up, and now I don't have any intentions of picking him up after this. Have a good draft!

I'm grumpy? Fucking hell that takes the biscuit.

...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #604 on: August 27, 2021, 08:04:46 am »
Yeah I have been reading a few articles for timings this morning. The League never seemed to run past November, so it's not likely Best would never have played a competitive game, and similar with Smith.

Apologies PIM. May be something for us to consider for future "manager" drafts, the research aspect of olden days football.

No need to apologize mate. As you said, it was good getting to the research side of drafts.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #605 on: August 27, 2021, 08:52:54 am »
There's always some controversy in a draft  ;D wouldn't be a draft without it
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #606 on: August 27, 2021, 09:06:12 am »
I'm completely lost with the order now, some people have 8, some have 9 and Lastrador has 10 :D

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #607 on: August 27, 2021, 09:19:37 am »
I'm completely lost with the order now, some people have 8, some have 9 and Lastrador has 10 :D

I think Gattuso is meant to be on Hazell's team. That should put everyone back on 9 players!
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #608 on: August 27, 2021, 09:30:31 am »
No need to apologize mate. As you said, it was good getting to the research side of drafts.

It was a really interestng rabbit hole of research, mate. I went on a mission last night to find a game for you and came up empty handed. I found a database which listed every NASL game involving LA Aztecs through 78 to 79 with team sheets for each match and Best didn't appear on any post June 20th. Best part of these drafts is the research angle. This one has been especially good for that  :)
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #609 on: August 27, 2021, 09:33:35 am »
It was a really interestng rabbit hole of research, mate. I went on a mission last night to find a game for you and came up empty handed. I found a database which listed every NASL game involving LA Aztecs through 78 to 79 with team sheets for each match and Best didn't appear on any post June 20th. Best part of these drafts is the research angle. This one has been especially good for that  :)

Cool. Can you PM me the link, I would like it for future reference :)

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #610 on: August 27, 2021, 09:41:24 am »
Cool. Can you PM me the link, I would like it for future reference :)

It's the same one our learned friend Trend posted above  ;)

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #611 on: August 27, 2021, 09:56:04 am »
It's the same one our learned friend Trend posted above  ;)

Soccerstats? Yeah, I was doing the same exercise then  :D

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #612 on: August 27, 2021, 11:28:16 am »
Sorry list should be okay now? Mixture of yesterdays odd picking, and me only having my phone has thrown me.

I’m out until this evening, not in work so no computer to access. I have hazells, trends and browns picks. Anyone want to take them off me?
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #613 on: August 27, 2021, 11:31:21 am »
Sorry list should be okay now? Mixture of yesterdays odd picking, and me only having my phone has thrown me.

I’m out until this evening, not in work so no computer to access. I have hazells, trends and browns picks. Anyone want to take them off me?

:wave

I've gone, with Hazell and Claus TrousersBrown straight after....so think its PiM now
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 12:12:47 pm by fucking appalled »
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #614 on: August 27, 2021, 12:50:12 pm »
Done with my pick. Should I PM Trend?

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #615 on: August 27, 2021, 12:52:20 pm »
Nah I've got Trends too! One sec

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #616 on: August 27, 2021, 01:10:07 pm »
Toyed with the idea of *unnamed CB who is still available to another manager in the draft* alongside Hansen, but decided that they very much come as a pair, so Lawrenson it is. I urge all around to join me in forgetting his entire punditry career.

I just didn't fancy Colin Hendry as being up to the task.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #617 on: August 27, 2021, 01:10:21 pm »
Nah I've got Trends too! One sec

Here, I'll do it - would you just let me paddle Lobo --- was doing great until he got in the backseat :) :)
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #618 on: August 27, 2021, 01:14:35 pm »
Thats a very good RB to get this late especially after the ones who have gone.
Y.N.W.A.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #619 on: August 27, 2021, 01:17:27 pm »
In other news, Rafa Benitez has submitted his top XI ever

Players considered but left out of the side are: Eden Hazard, Marik Hamsek, Wesley Sneijder, Lucio, Fat Frank, David Albeida, Dirk Kuyt, Lorenzo Insigne Kalidou Koulibaly, Maicon, John Arne Riise and Petr Cech
Missed out on Stevie Gerrard, Iker Casillas and considered Ashley Cole/Karim Benzema
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 01:28:55 pm by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #620 on: August 27, 2021, 01:20:55 pm »
Oof, that Benitez team is great. I considered taking Torres early in a Chelsea-esque move simply to deprive others of him, but I wanted Suarez (loved Nando, think he was the best 9 on the planet for two years but Suarez was better) and Rush so it would have been way too many pure strikers.

The midfield is the thing of beauty in that lineup, narrow for sure, not massively mobile, but Modric and Alonso simply would not give the ball away, Masch is one of the finest destroyers the game's seen in the last 25 years and Aimar was a genius. Possibly would have gone Lucio over Sami, who I love dearly but I think Lucio was the finer player. But it's close. Reina over Canizares but that's why I took Pepe a few rounds early for a keeper, he was one of only two viable options I could choose and the only one available to other managers. Petr Cech in his prime was better than any of them in my opinion.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #621 on: August 27, 2021, 02:32:50 pm »
Sarge is still up and then Drinks Sang and then PIM - but here is Cleveland's pick.

Cleveland Brown will select a player no one can get in about 3 picks - Effenburg

Here is his lineup as I will be out for the next 4 hours.  Jupp's Strumpets are below :)   Cleveland thanks all of you for his inclusion :)   Except Gerry because he stole Ribery and must pay the price :)

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #622 on: August 27, 2021, 02:42:36 pm »
Fellas, I'm making my last pick now as I wont be around and none of yous can select him anyway

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #623 on: August 27, 2021, 02:46:24 pm »

Aragones/Del Bosque

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #624 on: August 27, 2021, 03:07:00 pm »
I am just gonna go and select my GK too. If SPS wants him, I can change my pick.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 03:12:31 pm by Max_powers »

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #625 on: August 27, 2021, 03:22:08 pm »
Got to love the etiquette during the picks....up until the last couple of rounds which is just BUNDLE!!!! :D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #626 on: August 27, 2021, 03:37:49 pm »
I think it'll upgrade on Galli.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #627 on: August 27, 2021, 04:03:10 pm »
So where are we at?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #628 on: August 27, 2021, 04:08:40 pm »
So where are we at?

Samie's turn. SPS's time is up. I PMed him.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #629 on: August 27, 2021, 04:20:45 pm »

Thought?

Thibaut Courtois
 Paulo Ferreira       Ricardo Carvalho         Sergio Ramos       Luis Filipe
          Claude Makelele                                       Fabinho
                                        Kevin De Bruyne
       Mohammad Salah                                Christiano Ronaldo                       
                                        Karim Benzema

Can someone do my team thingy in Porto colours.  :wave
Y.N.W.A.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #630 on: August 27, 2021, 04:22:57 pm »
Not bad that Sarge (I'll have a crack in a minute)

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #631 on: August 27, 2021, 04:25:10 pm »
Thanks.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #632 on: August 27, 2021, 04:28:32 pm »

Thought?

Thibaut Courtois
 Paulo Ferreira       Ricardo Carvalho         Sergio Ramos       Luis Filipe
          Claude Makelele                                       Fabinho
                                        Kevin De Bruyne
       Mohammad Salah                                Christiano Ronaldo                       
                                        Karim Benzema

Can someone do my team thingy in Porto colours.  :wave

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #633 on: August 27, 2021, 04:31:00 pm »
Nice one.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #635 on: August 27, 2021, 04:56:24 pm »
Nice that Samie, notwithstanding Donadoni and Boban out of position and the shame of not having Galli or Rossi to mirror Milans greatest side ever.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #636 on: August 27, 2021, 05:00:56 pm »
I'm doing what Arrigo Sacchi himself did. Take it up with him.

Galli thing well I wanted a better keeper.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #637 on: August 27, 2021, 05:15:21 pm »
Shadow of what could have been. Baggio when you could have picked Van Basten? Baggio when you could have picked any of the dutch trio synonomous with the milan and sacchi of the time? you threw it away samie. Buckled under the pressure

wow, you go the whole draft picking an ac milan team and finish it off with an Inter milan keeper. That's the cherry right there
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 05:18:50 pm by Lawnmowerman »

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #638 on: August 27, 2021, 05:23:49 pm »
Apologies on the delay, picking now.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #639 on: August 27, 2021, 05:25:25 pm »
Shadow of what could have been. Baggio when you could have picked Van Basten? Baggio when you could have picked any of the dutch trio synonomous with the milan and sacchi of the time? you threw it away samie. Buckled under the pressure

wow, you go the whole draft picking an ac milan team and finish it off with an Inter milan keeper. That's the cherry right there

;D

It's a good team though LMan. ADMIT IT!