Author Topic: Liverpool's defence - Giraffes, Walls and Automobiles  (Read 169853 times)

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
Re: The rejuvenated defence thread
« Reply #360 on: April 24, 2017, 08:37:51 am »
I never bought this 'when Matip and Lovren play we're unbeaten'. Even when they've played together we've conceded +1 goal a game.

I think Lovren should get a new contract, but we should be buying a better CB to try and push him out of the team. Then we make the team stronger and the squad.

In any case, there were collective mistakes yesterday, just as there are on most goals. We don't seem to be getting better at this.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #361 on: April 24, 2017, 09:36:24 am »
The thing where we make a mistake defensively, for it then to lead to another mistake and another and more often than not us conceding a goal......after having very little to worry about for large parts of the game....really needs to fucking stop. I don't know what it is, lack of focus, panic, weak mentality, whatever you wanna call it just fucking address it.

All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #362 on: April 24, 2017, 09:48:28 am »
As soon as the football gods realised Lovren + Matip were on an unbeaten run, they were quick to work their magic. Nothing better than a Benteke brace to kill the good mood around us.

Sometimes it feels like no matter who's defending, we'll still concede (no news here). A prime Nesta would look distinctively rubbish for us etcetera...

Ha, a prime Nesta would never have been wrong sided so easily for the first goal, Cabaye just strolled past him. Lovren's passing and clearances are so poor it often leaves him and the team in troubles. A few examples in the first half and a very big one leading up to there second goal.

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #363 on: April 24, 2017, 10:08:24 am »
Allardyce's analysis after the game -
“From start to finish we were exceptionally good tactically,” he said. “We came as underdogs and set out a game plan. With our limited possession, we exposed Liverpool’s weaknesses time and time again and that’s why we were able to recover. If you look at what Liverpool created from open play there was very little. Coutinho’s free-kick was a wonder goal.”

Allardyce was asked to clarify what me meant by Liverpool’s “weaknesses.”

“Liverpool play a superb attacking style,” he reminded. “It means both full backs go high up the pitch. [Joel] Matip and [Dejan] Lovren are very exposed. If you get the right runners, they are both big men that don’t like running towards their own goal. That’s how our equaliser came with Cabaye picking up space. Then our winner: Liverpool are pretty weak, having conceded six already from corners. Now it’s seven.”

Allardyce: "On the corners everyone knows Liverpool are pretty weak. They conceded 6 off corners which we told the lads about. It’s now 7."

Thing is , if everyone knows about it, why is it that we can't fix it. Allardyce improved a relegation fodder team's defence. If Klopp can't get us defending corners, then maybe the questions are at certain time going to be asked of him. It doesn't take millionaire superstars to stop corners from going in for goals. We have conceded record breaking goals from corners this season, only Watford and one more team have conceded more.
This is an organization failure, the responsibility which lies with the coach. I can accept in open play, we concede goal, it might be due to limited defensive ability of the defenders, but conceding from direct corners so many times, is a basics issue, and one which is easily fixable even by a lower league coach.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 10:13:16 am by Carra-ton »
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #364 on: April 24, 2017, 10:18:35 am »
^ Agree with the above. It's not like there's no height in the side either.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #365 on: April 24, 2017, 10:24:25 am »
^ Agree with the above. It's not like there's no height in the side either.
We're the lowest team for height and weight in the league;

Although that doesn't explain the lack of organisation and leadership from set-pieces. What Lucas was doing for the second goal yesterday is anyones guess, one of our most experienced players leaving his zone and giving Benteke loads of space to attack.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #366 on: April 24, 2017, 10:50:11 am »

Ok - I'm not sure who they include in that team. I suspect it's not including Can and Lucas, both of whom played yesterday.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: April 24, 2017, 10:52:42 am »

Although that doesn't explain the lack of organisation and leadership from set-pieces. What Lucas was doing for the second goal yesterday is anyones guess, one of our most experienced players leaving his zone and giving Benteke loads of space to attack.

So we have Mignolet, Matip, Lovren, Can yesterday. Lucas is good in the air, Origi is pretty tall and Milner is hardly a short arse, neither is Firmino.

What do we do then? Bomb out Coutinho, Clyne and Wijnaldum?

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #368 on: April 24, 2017, 10:54:02 am »
Ok - I'm not sure who they include in that team. I suspect it's not including Can and Lucas, both of whom played yesterday.
It's an average based on the whole squad.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #369 on: April 24, 2017, 10:56:57 am »
Our weakness at set pieces has nothing to do with height or weight.  Can see that by simply looking at the 7 goals we've conceded from them.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: April 24, 2017, 10:59:37 am »
Lucas and Milner are both below the 178-and-a-bit centimetre average shown on that graph. Strange that they've been pointed out as examples of players who "aren't that short". Maybe they just look big when stood next to the other dwarfs.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #371 on: April 24, 2017, 11:05:11 am »
So we have Mignolet, Matip, Lovren, Can yesterday. Lucas is good in the air, Origi is pretty tall and Milner is hardly a short arse, neither is Firmino.

What do we do then? Bomb out Coutinho, Clyne and Wijnaldum?
As I said at the bottom of that post, the lack of height is only part of the problem.

Look at Lucas for that second goal, moves out of his zone giving Benteke space to attack. That's one of our most senior players switching off there. We're not disciplined enough when defending set-pieces.

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: April 24, 2017, 11:26:40 am »

Oh joy, Watford next.

Defending set pieces against them should be a riot.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #373 on: April 24, 2017, 11:29:35 am »
Oh joy, Watford next.

Defending set pieces against them should be a riot.

Most of that weight is just Deeney.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: April 24, 2017, 11:32:42 am »
Credit to Tomkins for compiling that data. I've been calling our squad soft all season. It seems like that should be used in a literal sense. We really have stockpiled a squad of scrawny fuckers.

I've admired Spurs all season for how hardened they are compared to us, and not surprisingly that graph has them right smack in the middle with the perfect balance of not too much or too less.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: April 24, 2017, 11:40:14 am »
Not sure it is a pure height and weight thing. I think it is more to do with technique, positioning, anticipation and mentality. A lot of our players just seem like they get dominated in physical contests. I'd say Gini is probably the only player who I've seen consistently out-muscling his opposite number. Too often we're seeing our centre halves or fullbacks being bullied by faster players, or stronger players, or players with better jump/leap. A lot of these athletes are very similar - I can't imagine it is purely down to physical qualities, I think there is probably more to it.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #376 on: April 24, 2017, 11:45:49 am »
Given that there's almost no causative link between height and weight and success in football compiling that data and discussing it is probably a phenomenal waste of time

Offline kingz

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #377 on: April 24, 2017, 04:47:11 pm »
Thing about Lovren is there is a difference between being a poor defender and being a poor defender in our team.

As we've seen from day one he has too much space to defend in our team and he's simply not good enough to do it - very few defenders are. It doesn't necessarily make him a poor defender, in my opinion if you put him in Luiz's place at Chelsea they still win the league with him, but just like Luiz he is gonna struggle if the space they have to defend is much bigger than when you're in a back 3.

It takes an elite decision making and ability to read the play in order to be error free defending in our team , or even City and Arsenal for that matter. It something we have to consider if we want to call him a poor defender which he isn't but we need better if we want to win the league playing with Klopp's style.

Is the system the reason he did this ?..

https://twitter.com/lfcfanscorner/status/856530007577030658

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #378 on: April 24, 2017, 05:00:09 pm »
I don't think this zonal marking is really working out too well when we defend corners. Every time we defend a corner I'm shitting brick. Would like to know our percentage of corners that we concede from, how many times the opposition wins the first ball etc, bet it'd make for pretty grim reading. I remember Klopp on monday night football (sky sports) going into details on how we defend set pieces. I wonder if teams looked at that and have found a way of exploiting it even more.

Maybe give man to man marking a go and see how we get on. This way at least you'll be able to tell who's losing their man constantly.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #379 on: April 24, 2017, 05:02:18 pm »
It is actually. There's no cover from the fullback , he's trying to defend in a big space against a pacy forward and of course he makes a bonehead decision to try to clear the danger with his head. You put him in a team like Palace where he's always protected by fullbacks and DMs and he can defend properly but he can't do it in our team as he's simply not good enough.

We need another outstanding defender like Matip if we want to have a good defensive record with our style of play.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #380 on: April 24, 2017, 05:03:07 pm »
Maybe give man to man marking a go and see how we get on. This way at least you'll be able to tell who's losing their man constantly.
Klopp said on MNF he could do man-marking in Dortmund because he had tall players but here he has to be creative. I think that defender we're after would solve the problem for us.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #381 on: April 24, 2017, 05:04:05 pm »

Bloody hell, dont know why I am shocked though!

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #382 on: April 24, 2017, 05:06:36 pm »
It is actually. There's no cover from the fullback , he's trying to defend in a big space against a pacy forward and of course he makes a bonehead decision to try to clear the danger with his head. You put him in a team like Palace where he's always protected by fullbacks and DMs and he can defend properly but he can't do it in our team as he's simply not good enough.

We need another outstanding defender like Matip if we want to have a good defensive record with our style of play.

Matip is decent defender, a bit early to describe him as outstanding defender we just need someone else to partner him instead of Lovren.

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: April 24, 2017, 05:14:26 pm »
The coach plays his part but you need a defensive leader on the pitch too.  He should be the one spotting mismatches, keeping people on drill and taking the initiative when every corner comes in.  Used to be Carra, Agger or Hyppia, Even Sakho did it at times last season.

Our back 4 don't really talk anymore, or are unqualified.  Matip is quality, but doesn't seem the leadership type, Lovren is a flawed player and wouldn't know where to start...We need a big booming CB who will control the line, drag players where he wants them and tears them to bits every damn time they make a mistake, whether it leads to a goal or not.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #384 on: April 24, 2017, 07:50:02 pm »

You don't think that's partly the fault of our system?

Offline kingz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #385 on: April 24, 2017, 08:00:00 pm »

What exactly? the poor pass or the flying squirrel impression instead of staying on his feet ?..

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: April 24, 2017, 08:01:49 pm »

He gives the ball away and then madly tries to win a header and misses with that header. It was a mad, rush of blood incident that Lovren is used to.

Offline liverpool185

• Kopite
« Reply #387 on: April 24, 2017, 08:15:05 pm »

Honestly what on earth is this guy fucking thinking trying to play a dumb pass like that, then to top it off one of the worst pieces of defending I have ever seen. He is a complete and utter liability who has cost this side so many goals and points this season with his dumb defending, if he get's a new contract i'm going to be so mad at Klopp.
David Moyes, a woman beater without actually beating a woman.

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #388 on: April 24, 2017, 08:22:43 pm »
Lovren created the situation with his panic pass. There's a big space to defend because he gave the ball away with an idiotic pass with the whole team in attacking positions. His fault.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: April 24, 2017, 08:25:41 pm »
Jurgen does know how to set up and coach a good defence, just look at Dortmunds goals conceded both season's they won the title compared to the previous 3.

I don't know if he brought in different players to achieve it or whether something else changed to make it work better but I'm sure we'll get there just like they did.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #390 on: April 24, 2017, 08:40:51 pm »
What exactly? the poor pass or the flying squirrel impression instead of staying on his feet ?..
Two centre backs both being pressed without another red shirt within 30-yards. No one in midfield has dropped to receive a pass. Both full backs pushed high up the pitch meaning the only out ball is a risky 30-yard ball to Milner. It's a shite pass and worse recovery but our system helped created the situation.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: April 24, 2017, 10:20:33 pm »
Two centre backs both being pressed without another red shirt within 30-yards. No one in midfield has dropped to receive a pass. Both full backs pushed high up the pitch meaning the only out ball is a risky 30-yard ball to Milner. It's a shite pass and worse recovery but our system helped created the situation.

I think it is a failure of the players and not the system that not one of three CMs was dropping deep to give the safe option. Once they have got caught upfield like that Lovren should be more than experienced enough to see that there is nothing on and go long to Origi. The ball he tries to play is utterly brainless. Then just as he used to do at the beginning of his LFC career he then made a bad mistake even worse by panicking and launching himself at a ball he was never going to win.

It doesn't matter what system you play, if players make poor decisions like that you're going to concede goals.

Offline naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #392 on: April 24, 2017, 10:28:20 pm »
Tbf we are extremely open at home to a fast counter attack
Swansea was similar
Corners well that's just a 4 year continuous joke where this team is concerned
Too many fancy dans
We struggled even with Brendan
Sometimes we need to play smart and shore up the defence against teams that just lump it up. I watched the Rael/ Barca game and the difference tactically between liverpools game and it was night and day.
Against the top half in the premiership teams play football, against the rest it's kick and rush, yet we try the same tactics for both types of game.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 10:40:43 pm by naka »

Offline Thats So Dimitar

• Kopite
« Reply #393 on: April 24, 2017, 11:47:36 pm »
Think there was also a failing from the fullback there. The ball was in the air for a good few seconds but doesn't start running back until the ball is actually won by the opposition.

What is he waiting for exactly? You get taught as a kid to come to the ball and it was pretty obvious it wouldn't reach him.
We beat Real Madrid

Offline joekim87

• Truly gone shark fishing.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #394 on: April 25, 2017, 02:11:25 am »
That clip of Lovren is comedy gold. Pity he is our starting centre back...

Offline kingz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #395 on: April 25, 2017, 06:13:59 am »

Found this and it seems interesting but also confusing.. According to this numbers our defense is great yet somehow 14 teams conceded less big chances than us ..

Chances conceded ( Center ) : only Man Utd , Arsenal , Spurs, City conceded less  ..

Chances conceded ( left ) : only City conceded less ..

Chances conceded ( Right ) : no team conceded less chances thru the right zone than us ..

Only Chelsea and Man Utd conceded less goals attempts ..

Big Chances conceded ( A situation where a player should reasonably be expected to score usually in a one-on-one scenario or from very close range )  :  14 teams conceded less big chances ....

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: April 25, 2017, 07:13:40 am »

There are plenty other options apart from the one he chose. The obvious one is to turn and play it back to Mignolet. Another is to hit it in to space on our left side. But he panicked. First with the pass, then when he realised he fucked up, again, he panicked again trying to win it back. He created that all by himself, not the system.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: April 25, 2017, 07:27:50 am »
I don't think we can obtain the ideal squad in just this one window. I wouldn't be too unhappy if we only brought in defensive players. None of Mignolet, Lovren, Moreno, Klavan and Lucas are consistently good enough and Milner isn't even a defender. Until this is fixed, we will flatter to deceive.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: April 25, 2017, 07:30:18 am »
I don't think we can obtain the ideal squad in just this one window. I wouldn't be too unhappy if we only brought in defensive players. None of Mignolet, Lovren, Moreno, Klavan and Lucas are consistently good enough and Milner isn't even a defender. Until this is fixed, we will flatter to deceive.

The defence is important but there is absolutely no way we can go into next season with 4 midfielders for 3 positions, 2 wingers and strikers where 1 is never fit.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: April 25, 2017, 07:37:02 am »
A Mané type player is needed indeed. A proper striker too, no question. Add a CM who can cover the CB's when the fullbacks are pushed up, or use Henderson/Can here and add a midfielder with a good passing range who can set the tempo for us, an Alonso type. Add also a CB and a left back. That's quite a shopping list.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 07:39:00 am by Groundskeeper Willie »
Love Ren & Stimpy