Author Topic: Liverpool 3 vs CSKA Moscow 1 Super Cup Win- Post match momments and what not  (Read 14096 times)

Offline koppite118

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Another Trophy Folks and yet again we showed we can get the result even when we play poorly .
                                 well done cisse and you arent the worst striker weve got, so lets see the return of the boy wonder asap .

Offline RedLiver

• Main Stander
  • Liverpool FC - Always the First, 8 trophies ahead
I bet Abramovich has just made a call to Mourinho to ask him why he cant get the same results as Liverpool with the same amount of money Liverpool spends on players.

Did Chelsea play well against Wigan? They almost lost; in fact, Wigan dominated the entire match. Chelsea almost drew with Arsenal. Let's not over-do with the negativity.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate,
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure....

- Marriane Williamson

Offline MasterJ

• Kopite
  • "IDALGO"
I think Cisse's message after he scored his first goal was towards Rafa. I won't dodge the issue here and people may say that he didn't look at Rafa directly, but he ran towards the bench and pointed to the crowd right behind Rafa, without even looking at him. I think it was a message to him.

Offline waffle

• Anny Roader
loads oof responses, comments were on how poorly we played,we didnt creat ya dah yah dah.... no one seems to remember that when poorer play against better teams(our beloved reds) they WILL set up the team bus infront of their goal. they had a 5-4-1 wall lined up mates!
We did dominated the game, their only chance in their mindset, was to counter attack and which is what they did.
AS rafa said, we made one mistake and it nearly cost us.
we had a lil more than double the amount of shots, 60% of possesion.... that alone speaks for itself!
Its true that we didnt play attractive football but how can any team when there isnt any space to!!
We are shapin up to be a tight  unit, we will get better and support your REDs!

The thing is they didnt even defend well, we were just less poor than they were. We lacked ideas,creativity and to be honest dont think we deserved to win

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Did Chelsea play well against Wigan? They almost lost; in fact, Wigan dominated the entire match. Chelsea almost drew with Arsenal. Let's not over-do with the negativity.

Spot on - but with Wigan - Chelsea, it was brave little Wigan. With us, it was us scraping through against a poor team.

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
  • Someday, everything is gonna be different...
;D VERY generous with the ratings.

I didn't think Cisse would be going anywhere but Rafa dodging the question ala Owen saga has put a doubt in my mind now. I hope not anyway, we need the strikers and common sense tells me he wont be sold, but a nag has now emerged.  >:( I don't like all this fucking about and it being allowed to turn into a media feeding frenzy.

Every game that goes by though the huge black hole that is our right wing situation becomes more and more apparent, that needs sorting with some quality, attacking quality - but hopefully that is only a few days away.

Pheeny, i completely agree with your comment earlier in the thread about an on form striker. I did mention that the Morientes/Cisse strike force had netted 6 in 8 competitive games in a thread the other day, check 8 in 9 now. Oh and if you want to include preseason as well i believe its 13 goals for those two in 12 matches.

Those Michael Owen tinted sunnies really fucking work eh!

Made up for Djib, made up for Carra.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 11:23:46 pm by Drobs »
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Offline chris.bonnie

• Main Stander
sell lazy hole Morientes, the biggest waste of space in a liverpool shirt since Diouf

Pheeny

I think Cisse's message after he scored his first goal was towards Rafa. I won't dodge the issue here and people may say that he didn't look at Rafa directly, but he ran towards the bench and pointed to the crowd right behind Rafa, without even looking at him. I think it was a message to him.
what a load of bollocks.As everyone knows the wives etc are always on halfway line behind the dugouts.Dijb has himself said he ran towards his wife.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
Thought we were timid and uninspiring till we equalised. Movement was poor, crossing half-hearted, couldn't do the basics right. Cisse gave us a bit of spark which was great. Hope that isn't his last performance in a red shirt. Very dissapointed with everyone else (bar Xabi actually) particularly Morientes. He's a fantastic player but looks too lethargic and off the pace.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline cakmin

• Estoy aburrido
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • La Ostra
By playing Potter, Cisse, Finnan, Luis and Flo-Po (?) on the right wing this season, it clearly shows Rafa's head is spinning around at the moment for  trying to find the real right winger for his team.
A right winger is really really needed quick!!! But who and how much do we have in the bank ???

hoonin

7.5 for Garcia? I'm pretty vocal when it comes to supporting him, but lets be honest here - he stank place out for large portions of the game!

Offline The Fletcher Memorial

• Feels mildly violat.................. ed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reality is hard to find
Thats the most accurate rating somone has given garcia tonight.

I thought so!! He's a liability!
The sky does not know of east or of west;
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Agony Aunt. Has a thing for gay singers...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....
what a load of bollocks.As everyone knows the wives etc are always on halfway line behind the dugouts.Dijb has himself said he ran towards his wife.

Tony, yes, but did he swear at her?  he did on my slow motion replay.

He was upset and exhilarated.  But I am certain he meant it for the bench.
Never give up

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
7.5 for Garcia? I'm pretty vocal when it comes to supporting him, but lets be honest here - he stank place out for large portions of the game!

Quite possibly his most frustrating game to date. I was actually hoping he and Morientes would be replaced by Pongo and Cisse at HT.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Tonight was the Luis Garcia of one year ago - I thought by the end of last year he managed to cut out the fancy stuff, but obviously not. But I didn't like it when tyledsley said 'If owen comes back Garcia will have to give up the no10 (or words to that effect)'

Pheeny

I disagree I thought he was the only one willing to try anything in the first half.

Offline MasterJ

• Kopite
  • "IDALGO"
Pheeny

The way the guy celebrated says it all! He went to up to a few metres in front of Rafa and didn't even look at him. Cisse is a mature person, i don't expect him to go up directly and dig into Rafa in front of the worlds media.

Matter of opinion i guess.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
It doesn't surprise me that we were lethargic in a game our captain described as unimportant. Made up we won. There are no meaningless games. Another shiny trophy for the cabinet :)
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
Tony, yes, but did he swear at her?  he did on my slow motion replay.

He was upset and exhilarated.  But I am certain he meant it for the bench.

Fancy a job working for ITV?  :P

If he swore at Rafa i very much doubt he would have used English to do so. (I'm assuming you dont speak French here)
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Offline Chindits

• It's important to me
  • Legacy Fan
  • L4 Scal-Qaeda Cyber Terrorist Cell
    • ccTwitter
wonder which charity cisse will donate his 100k mom award money?

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....
Fancy a job working for ITV?  :P

If he swore at Rafa i very much doubt he would have used English to do so. (I'm assuming you dont speak French here)

Actually no as they are a disgraceful bunch.  I do speak French and the swearing I saw was in English.

Never give up

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS

That's it, you're not a real fan.
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline Jessie

• Kopite
 :scarf :champ :scarf  WTG yet another SCAREY Match -  yet another GREAT result  ;D

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
I'm pretty vocal when it comes to supporting him, but lets be honest here - he stank place out for large portions of the game!

Thats a bit unfair. He was in the right positions but fluffed the final shot. Morientes was totally anonymous. But that was possibly down to tactics. Nothing much changed with Morientes second half.

Offline cork scouser

• Legacy Fan
  • Rafa will lead us to no. 19
delighted for the lad! this thread prob be locked soon mate!

ok it was joined in with another thread - good idea!
Cork : European Capital of Culture 2005
Liverpool : European Capital of Culture 2008

Merge Cork and Liverpool into the sporting city. No one would touch us.

Offline Spartacus.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
I disagree I thought he was the only one willing to try anything in the first half.

Stick me on there and I would be "willing to try anything" - its not enough tho is it.
RAWK anti scouse?

Offline Sinos

• itis
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

I would agree with that.
My ass cheeks clapped together louder than an excited Latino man with maracas... I had just laid the mightiest fudge dragon ever known to mankind in its very own water bath.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/tybuq/did_you_ever_think_you_were_going_to_die_from_a/

hoonin

Pheeny, theres no doubt LG tried to get involved, but  most of it led to us losing possession! Played in his best position but had one of his worst  games!

Offline Captain-Carra

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Norbert Klopp. The Boss.
I would agree with that.
Ok, lets sell Garcia then.

Won us the Champs League with his goals so maybe that's all he's gonna do. Fancy flicks are annoying so let's get Murphy back from Charlton.
"The major civilising force in the world is not religion, it's sex." - Hugh Hefner

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan

One down.

Four to go.

Onwards and upwards...

:D

87:13

Offline Spartacus.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
Ok, lets sell Garcia then.

Won us the Champs League with his goals so maybe that's all he's gonna do. Fancy flicks are annoying so let's get Murphy back from Charlton.

Grow up lad - read the im I sent you
RAWK anti scouse?

Offline Kalico

• Kemlynite
  • Oh, and we'll watch the old gods play
Reading some on here you would think we just scraped by Torquay United.  They won the UEFA cup FFS. Like we did a few seasons ago. You know, when we were all over the moon 'cos we were fucking fantastic? Okay, we played shite a lot of that season but sometimes it's nicer to be lucky than good...

Anyway, CSKA are no mugs and they hardly threatened. One good chance and one goal.

We didn't look stretched. We didn't look under pressure (unlike under Ged when we always looked stretched and under pressure.) But we did lack a cutting edge and we did lack width. But, as Rafa has said, he is looking for a RM so maybe that shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone (although Zenden was poor and Garcia infuriating.)

A new RM, a fit and in form Kewell, a new (hopefully speedy and talented) CB and then I think we may start to see things really coming together.

Rafa's got two under his belt, now.  So,  ;D  Life is good!

Offline LFC-Enforcer

• Anny Roader
  • Viva la revolucion!
Perhaps we need to take off the red glasses and realise how poor we look. We were awful and none of the problems from last year are resolved. Slow in defence, wank on the wings.

Oh ffs, it was not much more than a glorified friendly, with Rafa trying out different things again, our captain out injured, a mix of new signings, and we were a bit rusty. So fucking what. If we play that way and win 3-1 I'll take that any day, enough of your bitching and moaning, save it for the knitting circle.
The blood is its most red nearest to the heart.

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....

Me too and not just because of my obsession  ;D

Would rather a player who was in the position to miss than skulking around trying to get rid of it sideways.  There were others far more atrocious who didnt even gve us the pained pleasure of missing a chance.

Never give up

Offline cork scouser

• Legacy Fan
  • Rafa will lead us to no. 19
zenden was wank tonight, done fuck all since he has joined. though josemi did ok, he's been out of action a long time. Sissoko looks very promising if very raw yet. Moro is getting too much bad press on here. IMO he works very hard for the team and is getting only scraps to work off.
Cork : European Capital of Culture 2005
Liverpool : European Capital of Culture 2008

Merge Cork and Liverpool into the sporting city. No one would touch us.

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
Actually no as they are a disgraceful bunch.  I do speak French and the swearing I saw was in English.

;D

Ive had a look on the slow mo's but i cant make out anything, what do you reckon he said then?

Offline Sweet Silver Song

• Rotation, rotation, rotation....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Proud not to be a hypocrite...
Completely disagree with those who say Moro is lazy, or couldnt care less. he does run a lot. He moves back to collect the ball. He isnt blest with Cisse's pace, so you're not going to see him going on three or four scorching runs, but he does cover a lot of ground.

Completely agree with this. Morientes played one of his best games for us in teh first half, disappered a bit in the second, and in extra time, as I think fitness caught up with him. I know some of you might think I'm talking bollocks, but if you watch his movement and the way he made space and brought other into play you'd appreicate what he contributed. The game is not all about spraying 40 yards eye catching balls or scoring half volleys from the edge of the penalty area.
*With such simplicity the European cup is won.
**Sour-ness, will he get a shot? Now Dalglish...across the face of the goaaaalllll!
***Alan Kennedy!...He goes on...he scores!
****Liverpool need a Grobbelaar save...or a Conti miss. They've got a Conti miss!
*****And Liverpool have won it! They're back...outsiders all the way...

Offline anglelockgms

• Kopite
  • Survived a Stevie G Screamer in the Holte End
Great comeback! Lot of work still to be done but feck it, another european trophy!! Get in there!!!

Offline jamiehill

• Kopite
  • MacIntyre, Treadmore and Davitt
sell lazy hole Morientes, the biggest waste of space in a liverpool shirt since Diouf

... yeah, the man who's two goals in Sofia put us into the Champions League.

The man is a good luck charm when it comes to Europe. Its worth having him around just for luck. Every recent team he's been with has either won the thing or at least been in the final!

I do think he needs to learn English though. I saw him on the BBC MoTD and he still hasn't picked up any of the language.
The English club proved that miracles really do exist. I've now made Liverpool my English team. They showed that football is the most beautiful sport of all. They showed their unconditional support at half-time when they were losing 3-0 and still they didn't stop singing." Diego Maradona

Offline Jibbeeeey!

• Main Stander
Lets not kid ourselves, this was a dire performance and a dire game we were lucky to win. Also, I’m not going to blame just the players. Zenden and Garcia were poor all night, with neither offering width. Finnan who started on the right looked like a fullback converted to the wing, quelle surprise. He would later be subbed abd replaced by Garcia. Garcia is not a winger and to expect him to play the traditional right-winger is unfair. Zenden is more worrying. Brought in to offer guile and crossing skill, so far he has done neither. Essentially, during the summer, we have strengthened areas we were already strong in (midfield and goals – Carson is as good as any premier keeper and Dudek, the much maligned is more than capable). Both Reina and Sissoko are fine players, but these weren’t the positions we needed players in. we also bought Crouch and a raft of kids who won’t see first team action for two to three years. The jury is still out on Crouch, but since we already have a top class targetman in  Morientes, I don’t see why we needed another striker.

So to the game and the problems from last year are still in evidence. With lack of quality on the wings (can either Riise, Zenden or Garcia knock in a semi-decent cross? The best cross of the night was from Cisse) Morientes was left to forage on scraps, throwing himself stupidly at balls straight down the middle, chasing back to help his midfield, meaning there was no forward option, even having to chase and harrying 4 defenders on his own. Totally daft. In the middle, Alonso and Hamann were in complete control. Defensively, Josemi was good for half an hour before lack of matches caught up to him. Thereafter he looked out of puff and consistently fouled Moscows best player Carvalho, giving away a series of needless free kicks. Hyppia was leaden footed and highlighted the urgent need for a new centreback. Carragher was Carragher, performing heroics. Riise and Zenden both had a go at fullback and left wing, neither convinced. Finnan was dogged but uninspired on the right, while Garcia was awful.

My biggest concern is with the manager’s substitutions. Why replace Alonso, our most creative player with a destroyer like Sissoko? Our problems were not in the middle. Finnan went off for Pongolle. Not a bad option, accept of course Pongolle is totally match unfit and what was really needed (obvious to anyone watching) was pace to get behind the defence. When Cisse finally came on, his impact was immense. Two goals and an assist says it all. On a personal, I think it would be criminal to sell Cisse, even if it was to fund a right winger and centreback. Before anyone starts suggesting this would be a good idea, I would like to point out that it’s the mark of a mickey mouse club to sell key personnel to fund the purchase of replacements.

Sadly, it looks like this season will closely follow the last. Turgid, uninspired football, bogged down in the middle of the park stuff. Fine against the big boys who will come out to play, but I fully expect us to scrape bad draws and concede three points in piss poor one nils to player heavy defences we will be incapable of breaking down. That’s right, prepare for another season of ‘analysts’ bemoaning our lack of width, cutting edge and pace in defence. And to be perfectly honest, they are right.

I agree with all of that.  I was going to write something similar but you've done it better.  I was hugely disappointed with tonight.

So far I've thought Zenden has performed well, but tonight was very poor.  Width and good crosses would have broken that defence down tonight.  We had neither and it really showed.  Its our biggest problem.

What is NOT our biggest problem is a 20 goal a season natural goalscorer!  Just give Jibby a chance, I'm sure Moro would find all his deft touches and lay offs served well by Cisse's snap finishes.

I am a huge fan of Jibby and you can tell he loves the club and will always try his best.  On top of that, he is a superb player.   Given the chances that Moro has been given already this season I think he'd be the player everyone would be raving about.

Lil Luis had a shocker, but everyone has off nights and he damn well kept trying, and got his rewards in the end.  I hope it was down to the pitch and just one of those nights.  But I really can't see him and Moro working as an up front pairing.  All the formations and signings has made me worry about exactly where Luis is going to fit in, and I'm still no clearer.  Rafa obviously sees him as being just off, but I think Moro/Cisse Crouch/Cisse will work far better.  Of the choices Garcia/Moro is the worst, and its so far proven to be so.

Flo Po should be strongly considered for the right, but will need to change his game quite a bit.

The pairing of Hamann and Sissoko against Sofia was a puzzler and I can only put it down to resting Zenden, Alonso.  I really think we missed a chance to try Zenden in the middle, once Kewell comes back we'll have plenty of choice there.

The key point though is tactics to break down 7-10 behind the ball defenses.  The answer is at least partly, width, helped on with Cisse's pace and Moro/Crouchs lay offs.