Author Topic: Lucas’ critical role for Liverpool  (Read 552084 times)

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
Re: Lucas’ critical role for Liverpool
« Reply #5720 on: November 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm »
Seems like everybody in here always knew Lucas was a gem and backed him from the first minute  8)

Personally I was on the hate wagon and blamed him for every bad result we got but that was because I was a cock and couldn't see the wood for the trees.
My turning point was the start of the 09/10 season when he came back all beefed up, he could have taken the easy option and went, but was back to prove himself, he showed a lot of character so I thought to myself I should stop acting like a twat and back Rafa and give this fella a chance.

Lucas f.e.needs good footballers around him to shine in contrast to Mascherano. On the other hand Mascherano cannot play in a holding role in a high tempo passing game like Barcelona... they moved him to center back position because of his not so top level pass and move qualities, whereas Lucas would fit just right in there. Lucas at Barcelona... I don´t wanna imagine this but it would make Barca even better..
Lucas is a far far better passer than Masch, take speed out of his game and you dont have much else really
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 12:54:51 pm by KERRYKOP »

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #5721 on: November 28, 2011, 12:53:00 pm »
Thing is, I STILL think Lucas is improving. I don't think he's the finished article yet.

Loved the little spat between Agger and Lucas, who said we didnt have captains on the pitch eh?
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #5722 on: November 28, 2011, 12:54:10 pm »
Someone previously mentioned Redondo and that's a pretty good comparison. Lucas should be looking to emulate that type of player as he's certainly got the ability to do so.

Redondo is a pretty good comparison. Lucas still has a way to go though but at the rate he's going by the time he's 27/28 - I don't think phenomenal will be enough to describe him. There's potential to surpass a lot of truly great footballers.

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #5723 on: November 28, 2011, 12:57:08 pm »
Has he renewed his contract?

Think he did that back in march/april sometime.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #5724 on: November 28, 2011, 12:57:57 pm »
Lucas has finally made Garth Crooks team of the week!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9649524.stm
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5725 on: November 28, 2011, 12:58:55 pm »
Thing is, I STILL think Lucas is improving. I don't think he's the finished article yet.

Loved the little spat between Agger and Lucas, who said we didnt have captains on the pitch eh?

What was that spat about anyway? Looked like Agger was blasting Lucas.
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline edge

• Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #5726 on: November 28, 2011, 01:00:19 pm »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9649524.stm
Chose the least flattering picture of all thou.

Offline Leeroy77

• Main Stander
  • The real owners will always be the fans
« Reply #5727 on: November 28, 2011, 01:01:08 pm »
He was immense yesterday.

Seems to read the game so well these days. I'll be honest enough to say I used to have a dig at him in the early days but I'll learn never to pre judge a player so quickly from now on.

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #5728 on: November 28, 2011, 01:01:59 pm »
What was that spat about anyway? Looked like Agger was blasting Lucas.

No idea what it was about. Seemed a bit odd (thought initially Agger was going on about Aguero play acting on the floor). - was so funny though. Agger shouting about something and Lucas true to character saying "calm down, it's okay, don't worry"
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline mulhergremista

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5729 on: November 28, 2011, 01:02:35 pm »
Very true, he's astonishingly fit - but that fitness is also hugely due to the ultra-professionalism he shows off the pitch in almost every respect you could think of. He's always had the talent, but the reason he's becoming one of the best of the best now is the same secret a lot of the other true greats have - huge natural talent allied to almost superhuman dedication in terms of perfecting his art. It's a fantastic thing to see in a player like Lucas, who is a real-all rounder in terms of his skill set. It's taken him longer to 'mature', but then that's maybe because while most players try to improve what they are good at, Lucas has tried to improve everything, and has reached a point where there's almost no aspect of midfield play that he isn't at least 'very good' in. To the point where he can pull a lot of strings in attack while almost single-handedly shutting down an absolutely fearsome array of opposing midfield and 'between the lines' talent.

Ditto  8) :) :lickin

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #5730 on: November 28, 2011, 01:03:54 pm »
That´s what you get when talking to Mancs ;)

To be fair, one of them at least is usually pretty fair in his assessment of most things Liverpool and i've had a few really good, well rounded debates with him about both clubs.

It seems that on the Lucas front though, he refuses to acknowledge at all the massive development that has occurred over the past few seasons.

What is it they say about first impressions?
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Mucho-Xabi

• Anny Roader
  • Fight the Cuts
« Reply #5731 on: November 28, 2011, 01:07:13 pm »
Phenomenal last night. Tackling passing defensive attacking. Just a complete performance.
Ta Rafa La

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5732 on: November 28, 2011, 01:10:39 pm »
To be fair, one of them at least is usually pretty fair in his assessment of most things Liverpool and i've had a few really good, well rounded debates with him about both clubs.

It seems that on the Lucas front though, he refuses to acknowledge at all the massive development that has occurred over the past few seasons.

What is it they say about first impressions?

To be fair, he does have good reason to dislike Lucas, who has a pretty good record against them. If I remember right, a 2-1 at Old Trafford in 09-10 and the 1-0 in the FA cup last season are his only 2 losses against them, while he's been a significant part in at least 3 wins (4-1 at OT in 08-09, 2-0 at home in 09-10 and 3-1 at home in 10-11).
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline edge

• Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #5733 on: November 28, 2011, 01:11:09 pm »
Gotta agree with people here. Lucas' performances lately(last year or so, really) have been exceptional.

He's going on my next kit. Warrior on the front, Lucas on the back. Very fitting indeed.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #5734 on: November 28, 2011, 01:12:42 pm »
If I got a name on the back of my shirt it would be Lucas. One of our most important players.
same for me

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5735 on: November 28, 2011, 01:13:38 pm »
I don´t know with Redondo, who was truly spectacular on his day but than again sometimes sloppy and unreliable. I really think in this position it´s hard to make comparisons, Makele, Alonso, Mascherano, Lucas, Ballack, they all played it differently good and all of them depend on the playes around them to suit their game.

While no two players are exactly the same, I do think the Redondo comparison is fair to show the type of player Lucas presently is and one he could become. He was an excellent player whose role is a similar one to that which Lucas can perform.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5736 on: November 28, 2011, 01:14:38 pm »

He's going on my next kit. Warrior on the front, Lucas on the back. Very fitting indeed.

I have already three of them, the red home one, the third and the brasilian one ;)
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Davvo7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • STILL walk a million miles for one of your smiles!
« Reply #5737 on: November 28, 2011, 01:14:53 pm »

The law of averages says that even that bellend had to stumble onto being right once!
Boocoo dinky dau

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5738 on: November 28, 2011, 01:20:00 pm »
Redondo is a pretty good comparison. Lucas still has a way to go though but at the rate he's going by the time he's 27/28 - I don't think phenomenal will be enough to describe him. There's potential to surpass a lot of truly great footballers.

Yeah, I wasn't so much comparing the quality of the two as the type of players they are and the role they perform.

There's an excellent piece on Lucas here for those haven't read it (by some weirdo called royhendo):

http://www.level3football.com/royhendo/article/lucas_leiva_vickery_and_duartes_words_of_wisdom_from_2008

There's so much good stuff in there it's difficult to select a certain few bits to quote, so I won't, but the descriptions of the 'volante' role, what it entails and Lucas's game are spot on and it's something he's still developing IMO.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 01:22:26 pm by Hazell »
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #5739 on: November 28, 2011, 01:20:19 pm »
I have already three of them, the red home one, the third and the brasilian one ;)

I've got the home one from 09/10 with Lucas on the back........................quite rare that and I got quite a few sniggers whenever I wore it back in the day!  Whose laffing now eh? :)
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline doc_antonio

• Legacy Fan
  • Always look on the bright side of life
« Reply #5740 on: November 28, 2011, 01:20:25 pm »
with all due respect, although lucas is a great player he is still on par with parker and song... anyone who says parker or song aren't as good needs a slap, just because he plays for liverpool doesnt mean hes the best in the premiership.

although the thing that i would choose him over the other is that hes only 24-25? so plenty of years left to play/get even better.
"When I’ve got nothing better to do, I look down the league table to see how Everton are getting along." - Bill Shankly

Offline scared_person

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5741 on: November 28, 2011, 01:23:15 pm »
Just been and had a look on This Is Anfield. Unbelievably, there are still people who think he's crap!

Talk about not wanting to admit you're wrong! I mean, I can understand how people thought he wasn't up to much a few years ago (though I disagreed and could see his potential) but now!?! They are utterly deluded fools who are desperate to be proven right.

We're extremely lucky to have him. Despite his tackling, his harrying, his heading, his passing and his tireless running the biggest asset he has are his huge cast iron balls. Many a player would have been run out of the club by the idiotic boo boys, but Lucas is made of tough stuff.

Offline edge

• Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #5742 on: November 28, 2011, 01:25:15 pm »
with all due respect, although lucas is a great player he is still on par with parker and song... anyone who says parker or song aren't as good needs a slap, just because he plays for liverpool doesnt mean hes the best in the premiership.

although the thing that i would choose him over the other is that hes only 24-25? so plenty of years left to play/get even better.
Well. Difficult to call, but statistically I do believe Lucas edges them out. Higher workrate?

Also, I'd like to see Parker or Song stop City/Mancs/Chelsea the way Lucas has in these past weeks.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #5743 on: November 28, 2011, 01:31:39 pm »
For those into them...

His chalkboard stats are absolutely unbelievable. I've never seen one like it:

Passes attempted 75
Passes completed 69
Success rate 92%

Tackles attempted 11
Tackles won 11

That's split into:

Duels won (aerial) 5/5
Duels won (tackle) 6/6

That last is extraordinary. I don't think I've ever seen such a high number of successful tackles by their measures, let alone achieved by winning 100% of all the 'duels' entered into.

Then we have:

Interceptions 6

Again incredible, it's rare to see more than 2 or 3 in this stat.

Edit, I almost forgot:

...and he did all this while drawing 2 fouls and only giving away 1, and even that was well away from the area.

That's without even mentioning the sheer quality and creativity of so many of his passes today. He wasn't just utterly dominant in his capacity as a defensive midfielder but hugely influential in attack.

That is outstanding. If Scott Parker had done this yesterday the MOTD2 studio would've been a jizz-fest.

Having said that, while I get wound up at Lucas's lack of praise from certain quarters, I also secretly like the fact he's our hidden gem and we don't get all the "he'll be off to Barca/Madrid/City" shite that goes with any kind of talent being recognised.

Lucas is boss. And thank you Rafa for giving him to us.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline doc_antonio

• Legacy Fan
  • Always look on the bright side of life
« Reply #5744 on: November 28, 2011, 01:32:06 pm »
Well. Difficult to call, but statistically I do believe Lucas edges them out. Higher workrate?

Also, I'd like to see Parker or Song stop City/Mancs/Chelsea the way Lucas has in these past weeks.

true.

only reason i said it was because there is alot of people on this forum who think he's the greatest player in the world just because he plays for us and the fact that song and parker dont means they're shite, when we know they're not. he's been on a great run and the amount of shit that he came through just makes you love him that bit more, but that doesnt mean the rest are shite.. look at spurs, more or less the same team from last year with a few additions (parker, friedel and adebayor) and now they're playing brilliantly, their missing link...parker...

on another note, thanks rafa for lucas.
"When I’ve got nothing better to do, I look down the league table to see how Everton are getting along." - Bill Shankly

Offline ziggyy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wums should remain underground...
« Reply #5745 on: November 28, 2011, 01:32:30 pm »
Anyone did a compilation of his moves in the City game already?   I think this may be a classic like Robbie's hat trick against Arsenal.

Offline edge

• Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #5746 on: November 28, 2011, 01:35:01 pm »
Anyone did a compilation of his moves in the City game already?   I think this may be a classic like Robbie's hat trick against Arsenal.
A couple in the Audio/Video-thread: http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=112969.17320

Offline NOTBORNIN1982

• and neither is he the best poster on here, not even close in fact. Maybe the 1982nd.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
« Reply #5747 on: November 28, 2011, 01:37:53 pm »

?
"How much do you smoke, sir? Two packs a day, is that right? Pussy. I go through two lighters a day. That's right, two lighters! You're a health nut compared to me."

Offline ziggyy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5748 on: November 28, 2011, 01:38:07 pm »

Offline ziggyy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5749 on: November 28, 2011, 01:40:00 pm »

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5750 on: November 28, 2011, 01:42:43 pm »
Still can't get over how immense that performance was yesterday. I haven't seen a midfielder dominate a game like that for a long, long time it was absolutely incredible.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #5751 on: November 28, 2011, 01:59:52 pm »
Yeah thanks. djphal's pretty good but I really think his source was either incorrect or that Purslow/Hodgson were completely wrong (most likely the latter). I don't believe for a second that Lucas is lazy or not a good trainer - I think I said before, having watched him these 5 years, both on the pitch and off it, and having watched him turn from whipping boy to having the captain's armband, it's extremely unlikely that he'd be the kind of person that was being suggested.
Same for me at the time, no fucking way Lucas is a consisently lazy trainer. No-one develops like he has without serious hours, sweat, effort and study off the pitch. What I was just about prepared to believe (but still thought unlikely) is that him and Aquilani trained poorly in some sessions simply because I can well imagine that Hodgson after Rafa would have been like patronisingly teaching a chinese calligraphy artist how to potato print.

Hodgson's whole ethos is to drill a defence into two banks of four, lots of repetition, lots of old school running based fitness work. After the tactical nuance, the many defensive modes, the positioning, the detail, the individualised fitness programmes of Rafa I could believe that even the most comitted of players and trainers might lose motivation in some or several training sessions.

Similar to Pepe and that 'keeping coach.

In short, it's hard to be motivated when you've learned more than your teacher is offering, and I honestly think that's what it was like for some of the more tactically aware players under Hodgson.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #5752 on: November 28, 2011, 02:02:18 pm »
Not sure what Lucas replied to Agger, but the look he gave him was one of "you finished ranting now?" he was completely unperturbed by it, unlike when Carra used to give him a verbal volley and a loud of gob 3 years ago which caused  Lucas to retreat even further in to his shell.  How the lad has grown.
What I really liked about that was the way the players didn't leave it on a bad word - both had a bit of a say, and when they were finished they sort of shook or touched hands, they went away both acknowledging the other rather than angry with each other, it's an important thing in any argument, that - by all means argue, we all need to have our say/get it out of our systems, but if you live/work with the person also important to make peace as soon as possible so it doens't affect anything/anyone else.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #5753 on: November 28, 2011, 02:12:11 pm »
He was good yesterday like, but you might be losing the run of yourself there. I still remember the chips I was eating when Robbie knocked in that hatrick. They were crinkle cut btw.

Offline El jefe

• Kopite
« Reply #5754 on: November 28, 2011, 02:22:00 pm »
what a player. Single best performance from a midfielder this season. There was one tackle he did that drew a standing ovation from half of the centenary. Just a tackle! The best compliment i can give him is that if you ask Mancini right now with all his billions which Liverpool player he would take. It wouldn't be Suarez or Pepe, it would be Lucas. People call Kuyt a big game player but for me it's Lucas, every big game he bosses the midfield like at Chelsea last year

Offline ziggyy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5755 on: November 28, 2011, 02:25:20 pm »
He was good yesterday like, but you might be losing the run of yourself there. I still remember the chips I was eating when Robbie knocked in that hatrick. They were crinkle cut btw.

I mean the YouTube vid. Something that people might go back and watch 4-5 years later.

Can't remember what I did... but definitely not munching crinkle cut chips:(

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #5756 on: November 28, 2011, 02:47:37 pm »
what a player. Single best performance from a midfielder this season. There was one tackle he did that drew a standing ovation from half of the centenary. Just a tackle! The best compliment i can give him is that if you ask Mancini right now with all his billions which Liverpool player he would take. It wouldn't be Suarez or Pepe, it would be Lucas. People call Kuyt a big game player but for me it's Lucas, every big game he bosses the midfield like at Chelsea last year

That must be the one where he dispossessed Yaya Toure, without clattering him, without really slide-tackling, and almost while standing up whilst catching up to him from behind. It was awesome.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #5757 on: November 28, 2011, 02:48:20 pm »
That must be the one where he dispossessed Yaya Toure, without clattering him, without really slide-tackling, and almost while standing up whilst catching up to him from behind. It was awesome.

He is the absolute master of the standing tackle.
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline IndianKopite

• Anny Roader
  • Liverpool 4ever!!!
« Reply #5758 on: November 28, 2011, 02:53:18 pm »
Great performance from him against Man City.On the balance of play we should have won it.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #5759 on: November 28, 2011, 03:00:31 pm »