Author Topic: Lucas’ critical role for Liverpool  (Read 552081 times)

Offline Cool Hand Lucas

• Main Stander
  • Die-hard Red from across the Atlantic. YNWA!
Re: Lucas’ critical role for Liverpool
« Reply #5680 on: November 28, 2011, 07:53:36 am »
Perharps one day, but Reina's next in line, no?

ah yes. we should just let them fight it out between the two  ;D
Join the #FreeSuarez avatar campaign! http://i.imgur.com/9K7pw.jpg

Offline redforlife

• For future reference an equals sign looks like this: =
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #5681 on: November 28, 2011, 07:55:55 am »

And that'd be the one battle I wouldn't expect Lucas to win!
Didi Hamann

In the corridors and changing rooms of Anfield I met many people - the great, the talented, the legendary.  I know that I only met one genius.  He was a small, smiling man with a neatly clipped beard.  His name was Rafael Benitez.

Offline doc_antonio

• Legacy Fan
  • Always look on the bright side of life
« Reply #5682 on: November 28, 2011, 07:56:53 am »

lucas may be a beast, but pepe is subhuman. and judging by the crazyness of reina yesterday i think he could take lucas.
"When I’ve got nothing better to do, I look down the league table to see how Everton are getting along." - Bill Shankly

Offline edmundljs

• Kopite
  • A Liverbird upon my chest, JUSTICE!!!
« Reply #5683 on: November 28, 2011, 07:58:11 am »
lucas may be a beast, but pepe is subhuman. and judging by the crazyness of reina yesterday i think he could take lucas.

Reina is the one with the groves on. 5 pounds on Reina to take it.

Offline Cool Hand Lucas

• Main Stander
  • Die-hard Red from across the Atlantic. YNWA!
« Reply #5684 on: November 28, 2011, 08:02:15 am »
I dunno you guys. lucas will run circles around pepe.

Join the #FreeSuarez avatar campaign! http://i.imgur.com/9K7pw.jpg

Offline ShibbyLFC

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5685 on: November 28, 2011, 08:12:31 am »
Pepe or Agger (if he can consistently stay healthy) would get it before Lucas I think. Lucas is our midfield general, but IMO he doesn't have that charismatic personality. He's kind of quiet. Pepe and Agger definitely have it. They're constantly yelling and telling teammates what to do.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #5686 on: November 28, 2011, 08:34:11 am »
He is The General, The Boss, even Bruce Lee can't handle ou Leiva
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5687 on: November 28, 2011, 09:02:26 am »
His first name is Lucas, is Lucas, is Lucas,
His second name is Lieva, is Leiva, is Leiva,
And that's why we like him, we like him, we like him,
Infact we fucking love him, we love him, we love him......

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5688 on: November 28, 2011, 09:10:05 am »
Playing for a move to City, that's him sorted for January then.

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5689 on: November 28, 2011, 09:15:33 am »
Well deserved man of the match!

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #5690 on: November 28, 2011, 09:16:54 am »
I dunno you guys. lucas will run circles around pepe.

LOL. That's a quality gif mate.

I just want to concur everyone's views on Lucas. He is turning into such a complete midfielder. Who gives a shit if he doesn't score when every other facet of his game is so excellent. Again, his forward passing was so quick and incisive, and the amount of times I held my breath yesterday as he was about to thread a pass through a gap I couldn't see and it just went past the toes of Man City players to a team-mate.

His back-tracking is incredible, his work-rate is unmatched, his drive and tenacity was too much for a star studded Man City midfield. He has turned into an absolutely immense midfielder.
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5691 on: November 28, 2011, 09:32:37 am »
It came from an ITK on here, I think it was djphal. One of the reliable ones anyway. There was rumours about two players, think the other was Aquilani (IE them both being poor in training) and Aquilani was shipped out shortly after. I think it's fortunate for us that Poulsen was so dreadful, because if he'd had a decent start Lucas might have been sold too.

Yeah thanks. djphal's pretty good but I really think his source was either incorrect or that Purslow/Hodgson were completely wrong (most likely the latter). I don't believe for a second that Lucas is lazy or not a good trainer - I think I said before, having watched him these 5 years, both on the pitch and off it, and having watched him turn from whipping boy to having the captain's armband, it's extremely unlikely that he'd be the kind of person that was being suggested.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #5692 on: November 28, 2011, 09:35:27 am »
Overall, a candinate for MOTM.

Understatement of the season?
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline scared_person

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5693 on: November 28, 2011, 09:52:47 am »
What a player!

Won every tackle, won every header and made almost every pass he tried. He just gets better and better.

How does he manage to win every header? He's not the biggest but he leaps like a salmon.

He is so, so important to the team.

Offline givemekaliber

• Official Gimp to the Transfer Forum!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leather Bottle - Halewood
« Reply #5694 on: November 28, 2011, 09:59:34 am »
He was immense yesterday. Snuffed out almost everything that came his way. He and Adam can hold their heads up high after that performance.
Tommy Smith is better looking than Sophia Loren

Suarez is an utter lunatic

Smoke bombs/grenades/pyros/giros are necessary

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Get Behind Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #5695 on: November 28, 2011, 10:03:42 am »
Yeah thanks. djphal's pretty good but I really think his source was either incorrect or that Purslow/Hodgson were completely wrong (most likely the latter). I don't believe for a second that Lucas is lazy or not a good trainer - I think I said before, having watched him these 5 years, both on the pitch and off it, and having watched him turn from whipping boy to having the captain's armband, it's extremely unlikely that he'd be the kind of person that was being suggested.

Have to agree with that.

There's surely no way the lad is a slacker in training. Not least because his engine is so good on match days, that type of endurance can only be gained in training.
From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline WooltonDave

• Best car driver in Woolton. According to himself.
  • Main Stander
« Reply #5696 on: November 28, 2011, 10:10:16 am »
You don't get into the Brazil midfield unless you have a modicum of "something" about you.

Lucas has grown, has become a must have on the team sheet, has become a collosus and is undoubtedly one, if not the best holding midfielder in the league..................he's still shite though  ;)
"He's got a kiss from a man wearing a blue and white shirt".............Quasimodo............Lady Killer.

Offline doikc

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #5697 on: November 28, 2011, 10:10:34 am »
The rumors were started by Purslow to justify selling them. Bollocks he doesn't train well
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." Mahatma Gandhi. Benitez YNWA

Online LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #5698 on: November 28, 2011, 10:14:15 am »
He was just simply unbelievable yesterday

Offline gtazn

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #5699 on: November 28, 2011, 11:11:15 am »
Lucas needed to be nothing less than immense against City, and he was...AND THEN SOME!

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5700 on: November 28, 2011, 11:11:24 am »
Does't train well...please.

Remember an interview with Xabi after he had left talking about the difficulty of replacing him and Xabi said that there was already the player at the club who was better than him and it showed during training / words to that effect. He was referring to Lucas, it later turned out. Will see if a quick scan turns up any quotes, but I remember the gist of what was said clearly.

Lucas won't replace Alonso nor Masch, but he has the specs, and is already showing it from time to time, to be a more complete player than both. Easily.

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #5701 on: November 28, 2011, 11:12:53 am »
I loved the look that Silva gave him after Lucas dumped him on the ground after a crunching tackle.

Lucas is the best defensive midfielder in the EPL by a long way.
#JFT97

Offline lfc786

• Kopite
« Reply #5702 on: November 28, 2011, 11:13:14 am »
i think lucas can be captain last season he handled the youngsters very well always encouraging them even yesterday he was telling everyone to calm down when ballotelie got sent off

some one should make a gif of when agger was having a right go at lucas and lucas replied"ok mate"

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #5703 on: November 28, 2011, 11:23:57 am »
i think lucas can be captain last season he handled the youngsters very well always encouraging them even yesterday he was telling everyone to calm down when ballotelie got sent off

some one should make a gif of when agger was having a right go at lucas and lucas replied"ok mate"

Not sure what Lucas replied to Agger, but the look he gave him was one of "you finished ranting now?" he was completely unperturbed by it, unlike when Carra used to give him a verbal volley and a loud of gob 3 years ago which caused  Lucas to retreat even further in to his shell.  How the lad has grown.
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Online Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #5704 on: November 28, 2011, 11:28:49 am »
After the struggles Gerrard has been having with injuries these last 2 seasons and Carra's involvement becoming less important, I think Kenny should possibly be looking to the future and thinking about a new captain and vice captain for next season. The 2 outstanding candidates would have to be Lucas and Reina, hard to separate them really.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #5705 on: November 28, 2011, 11:57:56 am »
For those into them...

His chalkboard stats are absolutely unbelievable. I've never seen one like it:

Passes attempted 75
Passes completed 69
Success rate 92%

Tackles attempted 11
Tackles won 11

That's split into:

Duels won (aerial) 5/5
Duels won (tackle) 6/6

That last is extraordinary. I don't think I've ever seen such a high number of successful tackles by their measures, let alone achieved by winning 100% of all the 'duels' entered into.

Then we have:

Interceptions 6

Again incredible, it's rare to see more than 2 or 3 in this stat.

Edit, I almost forgot:

...and he did all this while drawing 2 fouls and only giving away 1, and even that was well away from the area.

That's without even mentioning the sheer quality and creativity of so many of his passes today. He wasn't just utterly dominant in his capacity as a defensive midfielder but hugely influential in attack.
He was fucking immense yesterday. For those of you that slated him, I have always had faith in him.

Fuck the lazy pundits, Rafa was right about him all along.
Quote from: Harvest Fields
i watched the chelsea game at my sisters. her 12 year old son is severly autistic and i forgot myself and jumped up screaming at the goal and he went nuts. screaming and shouting. scared the fuck out of me. apologised to my sister as i thought id upset him, turns out he was joining in.

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5706 on: November 28, 2011, 12:00:34 pm »
MOTM yesterday

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5707 on: November 28, 2011, 12:10:19 pm »
For those into them...

His chalkboard stats are absolutely unbelievable. I've never seen one like it:

Passes attempted 75
Passes completed 69
Success rate 92%

Tackles attempted 11
Tackles won 11

That's split into:

Duels won (aerial) 5/5
Duels won (tackle) 6/6

That last is extraordinary. I don't think I've ever seen such a high number of successful tackles by their measures, let alone achieved by winning 100% of all the 'duels' entered into.

Then we have:

Interceptions 6

Again incredible, it's rare to see more than 2 or 3 in this stat.

Edit, I almost forgot:

...and he did all this while drawing 2 fouls and only giving away 1, and even that was well away from the area.

That's without even mentioning the sheer quality and creativity of so many of his passes today. He wasn't just utterly dominant in his capacity as a defensive midfielder but hugely influential in attack.

Thats incredible. Quoted to save it :)
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #5708 on: November 28, 2011, 12:22:27 pm »
The same person, no doubt, faps away merrily to Xavi.
Scotty Parker is his God, if only Lucas could get caught out of position more often so he could go thundering into tackles like a brave lion then maybe he could prove himself.

Its got to the stage now where you have to laugh, its like a stubbornness in people that they cant admit they were wrong and are still wrong about him, it could even perhaps be a tinge of guilt in how they have treated him, our maybe I'm being kind, some of our support are a disgrace.

He was fucking immense yesterday. For those of you that slated him, I have always had faith in him.

Fuck the lazy pundits, Rafa was right about him all along.
I have to say it took a while, but its nice to be proved right, Iv been crucified for having the audacity to back Lucas when even a total blind fool could see his rate of improvement was going to turn him into something special. The best in the league at what he does now and as The Fonz would say "They can all go sit on it"

Offline Butter Keks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5709 on: November 28, 2011, 12:24:38 pm »
Seems like everybody in here always knew Lucas was a gem and backed him from the first minute  8)

Personally I was on the hate wagon and blamed him for every bad result we got but that was because I was a cock and couldn't see the wood for the trees.

Offline callanlfc5times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5710 on: November 28, 2011, 12:25:41 pm »
One of the best individual performances in a red shirt for a long time and that isn't even an over exateration, he was a machine yesterday like the complete perfect mix of Alonso and Mascherano rolled into one. Lucas has developed into one boss player.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE
FOR THE 96
JUSTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #5711 on: November 28, 2011, 12:26:40 pm »
I love Lucas, last season he started showing all the doubters what he was all about and even then he was still labeled a "squad player" by some.... look at him now you numpties!

Those stats for yesterday are unreal, especially since it was versus City and the sort of players they have... fucking get in Lucas you awesome man!

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #5712 on: November 28, 2011, 12:32:01 pm »
Wonder if he drank the bubblywater Sky had Adam give him.. ;D

Offline C@mry

• Anny Roader
  • Vera
« Reply #5713 on: November 28, 2011, 12:35:20 pm »
Has he renewed his contract?

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5714 on: November 28, 2011, 12:37:36 pm »
Has he renewed his contract?

No, he's off to Napoli for £3m. Maddock said so.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5715 on: November 28, 2011, 12:38:06 pm »
Seems like everybody in here always knew Lucas was a gem and backed him from the first minute  8)

Watching Barnesey on LFCtv talking about Lucas. Reckons Lucas is playing no different now from what he's done from the very start and his initial doubters and critics have merely jumped on the bandwagon of the myth of improved form to justify their initial doubt/criticism.

The man's clearly re-writing history eh V?

:)

Well, he didn´t change the way he plays overall, that´s for sure.

One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #5716 on: November 28, 2011, 12:39:08 pm »
So this morning i've had people queing up to tell me (again) how overrated Lucas is (yawn).

According to two Manc's:

A) He is but a mere speck in the ability rear-view mirror of 'Scotty' Parker.
B) Darren Fletcher (predictably) is also a "much better player".
C) Alex Song is on a par.

Also (get this) a Leicester supporter has been chirping up to state unequivocably that:

A) Parker and Essien (ha) are head and shoulders above Lucas.
B) Lucas is "okay", but nowhere near top class.

I've been accused by all that I am simply demonstrating the effects of "scouse tinted glasses".

Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5717 on: November 28, 2011, 12:42:30 pm »
So this morning i've had people queing up to tell me (again) how overrated Lucas is (yawn).

According to two Manc's:

A) He is but a mere speck in the ability rear-view mirror of 'Scotty' Parker.
B) Darren Fletcher (predictably) is also a "much better player".
C) Alex Song is on a par.

Also (get this) a Leicester supporter has also been chirping up to state unequivocably that:

A) Parker and Essien (ha) are head and shoulders above Lucas.
B) Lucas is "okay", but nowhere near top class.

I've been accused by all that I am simply demonstrating the effects of "scouse tinted glasses".

:o That´s what you get when talking to Mancs ;)

IMO the only player being on the same level as Lucas in recent years in terms of organising the play on the pitch was Ballack, with Ballack being better in attack and Lucas better in tackling.

And according to a lot of fans Essien was head and shoulders above him, Ballack, too. Well, they couldn´t replace him so far but people still won´t see the quality in a player NOT doing the spectacular things just for the sake of it and doing everything else right instead.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 12:44:17 pm by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5718 on: November 28, 2011, 12:46:23 pm »
IMO the only player being on the same level as Lucas in recent years in terms of organising the play on the pitch was Ballack, with Ballack being better in attack and Lucas better in tackling.

Someone previously mentioned Redondo and that's a pretty good comparison. Lucas should be looking to emulate that type of player as he's certainly got the ability to do so.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline steveeastend

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5719 on: November 28, 2011, 12:51:25 pm »
Someone previously mentioned Redondo and that's a pretty good comparison. Lucas should be looking to emulate that type of player as he's certainly got the ability to do so.

I don´t know with Redondo, who was truly spectacular on his day but than again sometimes sloppy and unreliable. I really think in this position it´s hard to make comparisons, Makele, Alonso, Mascherano, Lucas, Ballack, they all played it differently good and all of them depend on the playes around them to suit their game.

Lucas f.e.needs good footballers around him to shine in contrast to Mascherano. On the other hand Mascherano cannot play in a holding role in a high tempo passing game like Barcelona... they moved him to center back position because of his not so top level pass and move qualities, whereas Lucas would fit just right in there. Lucas at Barcelona... I don´t wanna imagine this but it would make Barca even better..