Author Topic: Runcorn Bridge...  (Read 17691 times)

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
Runcorn Bridge...
« on: July 13, 2012, 07:55:18 pm »
'The bridge will continue to be closed overnight and on weekends from tomorrow Friday, July 13.

Between 10pm and 5.30am traffic will stopped from crossing the bridge for 30-minute periods.

Diversion routes will be provided although they can be up to 16-miles long'.

16 fuckin miles!?......this twattin work was meant be done and dusted by the end of November 2011..........get the fuckin job finished you workshy cnuts!!!
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Runcorn Bridge...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 12:10:34 am »
Fuckin hate having to head to Runcorn or the M56 . Always seems to be some kind of delay going on whether it's a weekend or a weekday, and seems like it's been going on for decades.

Had to go to Frodsham the other week and took me 1.5 hrs hours ! It's only a 20 minute drive usually , but they were resurfacing a short stretch of the Weston Expressway duriing the morning rush hour . Do it overnight of a weekend you shower of twats . Have these pricks never heard of cost benefit analysis ?
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 12:31:40 am »
You obviously have no memories of the delays of years gone by...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/VuBHVznFpBI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/VuBHVznFpBI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1</a>

Although I was only tiny, my memory of going on this in about 1959/60 or so was absolutely terrifying, the the whole thing used to sway and creak and the state of the river back then you just don't want to know...

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline meff

• istoffeles?
  • Kopite
  • does your dog bite?
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 01:32:46 am »
Work has finally started (sort of) on the new crossing as the survey barges have been out in the estuary over the past few weeks taking core samples for the new bridge supports. We'll have probably done the double and won the champions league again before it's finished :P
For those about to Klopp! We salute you

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 02:02:51 am »
The longer it takes, the better.

Yes, it may well upgrade the current dated bridge, but the second it's finished you won't be able to get anywhere between North Wales, and Northern England without a serious  detour or having to fooking pay for the privilege  :tosser

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 09:16:37 pm »
Drivers are likely to face more delays as the current phase of maintenance works continues on the Silver Jubilee Bridge.

From Tuesday, November 6, there will be short duration overnight closures from 10pm to 5.30am. on the hour every hour all traffic will be stopped from crossing the bridge for periods of 30minutes. A signed diversion route will be provided, although due to the diversion route being 16 miles it may be quicker to wait for the bridge to re-open. It will be up to the individual drivers as to which option they choose. Advance warning signs will be put up around the bridge. The overnight and weekends lane closures will also continue to be in place between 7pm and 6am, which will involve the closure of two lanes on the bridge with single lane running in each direction.

seriously..what the FUCK are doing? ...took me 40 minutes to get across the fuckin thing on Saturday afternoon...only to be greeted with roadwork carnage and gridlock on the Runcorn expressway...why the fuck is this shit taking so long?...makes the Big Dig look like a couple of potholes in Sefton fuckin Park....c*nts
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 11:40:27 pm »
Its a must avoid at weekends, it was awful on Saturday.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 11:51:47 pm »
Is falling down , falling down ...
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 11:53:19 pm »
I live on one side of the bridge, yet I swear I'll go over it about 4 times a year, thank fuck. Horrible traffic whenever I do.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 1, 2012, 09:34:59 am »
Is falling down , falling down ...
You're not far wrong you know. I overheard people talking on the bus the other day whilst being stuck in the traffic - They're having to do a major maintenance job on the whole thing because of bad steel corrosion and concrete deterioration caused by de-icing salt. Or something like that anyway; I wasn't paying too much attention because I'm sure you'll agree it isn't the most fascinating conversation to listen in on.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 11:11:13 pm »
If you have to go anywhere near Runcorn on your travels you'll know that the disruption the construction of the Mersey Gateway is causing is unreal....its like the whole of Runcorn and Widnes has been unearthed to make way for it....and with the demolition of the Ditton flyovers due to start this weekend (the link from Speke Road onto the Bridge)...its about to get even fuckin worse....be warned

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/local-news/busy-widnes-commuter-route-shut-10806825
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 11:31:35 am by Pistolero »

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 10:35:45 am »
Pity we couldn't extend a branch of the Northern Line to Runcorn via a second rail tunnel, but that kind of infrastructure project would be way too expensive and likely not very practical.

You look at something like the loop line and realise just how much the city suffers from a lack of vision.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 01:48:00 pm »
As long as my spar and I can ride our bikes over...the rest of yiz can suck it. :P
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 03:04:28 pm »
Going past this right now.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2016, 08:57:45 pm »
Pity we couldn't extend a branch of the Northern Line to Runcorn via a second rail tunnel, but that kind of infrastructure project would be way too expensive and likely not very practical.

You look at something like the loop line and realise just how much the city suffers from a lack of vision.

Liverpool airport needs its own station. It's a great airport now and it needs that vital link. Yes it's an extortionate amount but it needs it. Getting off at south parkway and bussing it is fucking lame in this day and age
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016, 09:15:22 pm »
Liverpool airport needs its own station. It's a great airport now and it needs that vital link. Yes it's an extortionate amount but it needs it. Getting off at south parkway and bussing it is fucking lame in this day and age

Agreed..connecting it directly to the rail network via South Parkway is the way to expand the airport even further

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016, 09:39:44 pm »
it's embarrassing that it doesn't have a station to be honest
cyas

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 09:41:40 pm »

Agreed, but the chances of a purpose built link to the airport are pretty much zero.  All the focus is on renovating existing infrastructure - adding stations along pre-existing lines or laying new tracks through pre-existing tunnels and cuts that are currently out of use. 

Extending a spur from the Northern Line through to the airport would mean driving new tunnels and making new cuts; around, through or under existing housing estates, retails parks etc.  The disruption and cost is simply prohibitive. 

It's small minded thinking from small minded, short termism men and women.

Popcorn's Art

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 09:57:06 pm »
Agreed, but the chances of a purpose built link to the airport are pretty much zero.  All the focus is on renovating existing infrastructure - adding stations along pre-existing lines or laying new tracks through pre-existing tunnels and cuts that are currently out of use. 

Extending a spur from the Northern Line through to the airport would mean driving new tunnels and making new cuts; around, through or under existing housing estates, retails parks etc.  The disruption and cost is simply prohibitive. 

Pretty sure there's enough space to have a tram-like train running along Speke Hall Road, to link up with the mainline either from the Jag goods line, or from Hunts Cross.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 11:45:55 pm »

A rail link would be ideal, although I'm not sure who would benefit except you who lives close to Lime Street, Me & Pistolero who live close to West Allerton Station and Roady who lives by Mersey Road station :)
Anyone accessing the airport won't necessarily come via Lime Street or the Merseyrail line, they come from all over the North West and various parts of Liverpool, so I reckon the patronage would be relatively low on a cost benefit analysis basis.

I'd like to know who you think the small minded, short termism men and women are though mate?

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 1, 2016, 05:48:45 pm »
Pretty sure there's enough space to have a tram-like train running along Speke Hall Road, to link up with the mainline either from the Jag goods line, or from Hunts Cross.

I think the idea has been mooted a few times in the Echo, but naught has yet to come from it.  As John says though, something like that would only really benefit local users; what's needed is a dedicated rail link but as I said before, just extending a branch off the Northern Line from Liverpool South Parkway would likely be considered prohibitively expensive under the current economic conditions.

John, when I talk about the short termism of small minded men and women it's largely aimed at a council that lacks ambition; but it could also be aimed at Merseytravel and Merseyrail, whose ambition in extending the network has seemingly been limited to electrifying existing lines rather than build new ones.  (Admittedly I don't know the funding details of the Roby/Huyton stations expansion but I'm guessing this did not come directly out of Merseytravel's existing budget but was specifically earmarked for this purpose.)

Yes, I recognise that I am probably being overly harsh and yes these are difficult economic times.  I could go on but it just seems that an engineering project on the scale of the loop line, which arguably took place during similarly difficult economic circumstances, would be considered pie in the sky today.  And don't forget the Merseytram debacle.
« Last Edit: February 1, 2016, 05:52:05 pm by Red Beret »

Popcorn's Art

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 1, 2016, 07:38:34 pm »
I commute to Crewe every day for work. I get off at south parkway on the way home and the amount of people getting off the train to use the airport is pretty high on occasion. They are bewildered when the announcement says "change here for the Liverpool John Lennon airport" most of them are utterly shocked they then have to get a bloody bus. I agree it'll cost an absolute fortune but will we be saying the same thing in 20 or 30 years time when it'll likely cost a lot lot more and will be pretty much a necessity?

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 1, 2016, 07:40:46 pm »
I commute to Crewe every day for work. I get off at south parkway on the way home and the amount of people getting off the train to use the airport is pretty high on occasion. They are bewildered when the announcement says "change here for the Liverpool John Lennon airport" most of them are utterly shocked they then have to get a bloody bus. I agree it'll cost an absolute fortune but will we be saying the same thing in 20 or 30 years time when it'll likely cost a lot lot more and will be pretty much a necessity?
Also that you have to pay extra for the bus, its not like its a free airport shuttle bus.

Love how this thread about the bridge is now about trains to the airport ;D
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 1, 2016, 07:43:22 pm »
Also that you have to pay extra for the bus, its not like its a free airport shuttle bus.

That may be my fault 😀

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 1, 2016, 07:48:15 pm »
I think the idea has been mooted a few times in the Echo, but naught has yet to come from it.  As John says though, something like that would only really benefit local users; what's needed is a dedicated rail link but as I said before, just extending a branch off the Northern Line from Liverpool South Parkway would likely be considered prohibitively expensive under the current economic conditions.

Don't know, doesn't Birmingham have some sort of train that connects the airport with the train station? Something similar could work, and it'd be easier to build than connecting the mainline.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 1, 2016, 08:52:56 pm »
Don't know, doesn't Birmingham have some sort of train that connects the airport with the train station? Something similar could work, and it'd be easier to build than connecting the mainline.

Most cities do.  Ours somehow keeps putting it off or finding reasons not to do it.  It's another reason I feel those responsible lack vision, ambition, and display small mindedness.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 1, 2016, 09:03:51 pm »

I think it's mostly dissatisfaction with Liverpool's non-integrated transport network in general.  ;D

Take a look at Liverpool South Parkway and the airport on Googlemap sometime.  Short of driving a spur off the mainline straight through a tunnel beneath Speke Retail Park there doesn't seem a whole lot of options for a direct mainline link.  And even then people from outside the city would still need to change at LSP for the airport link (although I imagine people do something similar at Manchester Piccadilly for the airport.)

Popcorn's Art

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #27 on: February 1, 2016, 09:13:10 pm »
Take a look at Liverpool South Parkway and the airport on Googlemap sometime.  Short of driving a spur off the mainline straight through a tunnel beneath Speke Retail Park there doesn't seem a whole lot of options for a direct mainline link. 

I think the most suitable new station/spur would be from somewhere around the RSPCA / Finch Farm location.....across the east side of Speke - and then along to the airport - as that area consists mostly of farmland........still a huge undertaking but surely possible?..and i'm sure it would pale into insignificance when compared to the astronomical amount of work thats happening to create the Mersey Gateway (he says, trying to steer the thread back to Runcorn Bridge  ;D)

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 1, 2016, 09:13:49 pm »
Could a line not be run off the lime st to hunts cross? Somewhere around Aigburth station so it's on the correct side of the road? I have no idea about the possibilities or feasibility ?It'd be direct from lime st?

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 1, 2016, 09:44:13 pm »
Could a line not be run off the lime st to hunts cross? Somewhere around Aigburth station so it's on the correct side of the road? I have no idea about the possibilities or feasibility ?It'd be direct from lime st?

South Parkway is your best bet mate.  It's the second biggest station in Liverpool (I think) with six platforms, intersecting the Northern and City mainline services.  You could run a dedicated service from Lime Street, calling all stations to West Allerton, before branching off at the Parkway.

The problem is the existing lines are all hemmed in by roads, bridges and housing estates.  A tram-train link from Cressington might be an option - might get it to run alongside Garston Way before heading onto Banks Road before diving for the river front, but there's still a lot of junk to get through and that would only benefit locals.

I suppose you could run a tram-train from Hunts Cross; it would have a straighter run to the airport if you could get it to follow Woodend and Western Avenues, but you'd need extensive changes to make room for it.  It would cause chaos to a fairly important traffic route in a major residential and retail area.  It would be easier to build a second Runcorn bridge I reckon.  ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 1, 2016, 09:56:01 pm »
Superbly put back on topic 😀

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 1, 2016, 09:56:42 pm »
The Bridge is a complete nightmare isn't it?

Popcorn's Art

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 1, 2016, 10:21:28 pm »
The Bridge is a complete nightmare isn't it?
Dunno, never get much further than the airport..... ;D

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 1, 2016, 10:30:44 pm »
😀

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 3, 2016, 01:32:18 pm »
Will be down to 1 lane in each direction when the new one opens. Oh and both will be tolled!

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #35 on: February 3, 2016, 01:47:15 pm »
Will be down to 1 lane in each direction when the new one opens. Oh and both will be tolled!

so basically there'll be just as much congestion as there is now....but you'll have to pay for the privilege of sitting in it....lovely....cant wait

Offline JoeH

• Slightly obsessed with things up the bum - thinks it's funny.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 3, 2016, 01:50:31 pm »

so basically there'll be just as much congestion as there is now....but you'll have to pay for the privilege of sitting in it....lovely....cant wait
The new bridge will be three lanes per direction with no stopping from the M56 across and from Speke Road back. It will be tolled, but if you are within Halton you get a free pass for the bridge. ANPR is used to charge you for using the bridge and the old bridge will be closed for two years to be upgraded. Once it is re-opened it will be for public transport/taxis and Cyclists only.

Offline Roady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 3, 2016, 05:35:19 pm »
So they're building a new bridge to prevent congestion or try to.  Then they are preventing the public from using the old bridge hence causing congestion on the new one 😀 Sounds good

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: February 5, 2016, 09:32:15 am »
  And even then people from outside the city would still need to change at LSP for the airport link (although I imagine people do something similar at Manchester Piccadilly for the airport.)

Nope the train line between Leeds and Manchester continues straight on to the airport without having to change at Picadilly. I moved away from Liverpool a few years back and now when I go on holiday I can just jump on the train in Huddersfield and go straight through to the airport, it's incredibly useful and also means it's the first airport I look at using when travelling
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: February 5, 2016, 06:11:20 pm »
Nope the train line between Leeds and Manchester continues straight on to the airport without having to change at Picadilly. I moved away from Liverpool a few years back and now when I go on holiday I can just jump on the train in Huddersfield and go straight through to the airport, it's incredibly useful and also means it's the first airport I look at using when travelling

It also means that people in Liverpool are more likely to fly from Manchester than their own airport, which is crazy!  :o ;D

Popcorn's Art