Author Topic: VAR! Video Assistant Referee & Shite Referees in General  (Read 1369485 times)

Offline Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: VAR! Video Assistant Referee & Shite Referees in General
« Reply #25800 on: May 1, 2024, 11:40:00 am »
Another week. Another lot of revisionism and another group of fans gaslit with clear and obvious BS!
Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #25801 on: May 1, 2024, 11:53:05 am »
“Mutual engagement” :lmao

Hudson-Odoi was goal side and would surely have got a shot away from deep inside the box had he not been mutually engaged from behind by Young.

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25802 on: May 1, 2024, 11:57:19 am »

Hudson-Odoi was goal side and would surely have got a shot away from deep inside the box had he not been mutually engaged from behind by Young.

they'll just start making up words next. "The decision was due to a clear crillingement during the phase of play."
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25803 on: May 1, 2024, 12:05:34 pm »
From the North London Derby:

Oliver in a great position and looking straight at the incident but you get:

“No, no, no, no, no, no, no”.

“I don’t think he sees him coming. He tries to play the ball”.

So according to Oliver it doesn’t matter that Rice kicks Davies because for him “he tries to play the ball”.

Without VAR he wouldn’t have given the pen for that reason.

But Dermot last week describes Forest’s 1st non-pen as “The referee has the best view” to justify why it wasn’t given. Yet Oliver who is in a great position and surely has the “best view” of the above incident but wasn’t going to give what was a blatant pen to Spurs.

So just constant revisionism to justify the outcome.
Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25804 on: May 1, 2024, 01:19:02 pm »
they'll just start making up words next. "The decision was due to a clear crillingement during the phase of play."

Cromulent process, boys

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #25805 on: May 1, 2024, 01:26:10 pm »
A friend of mine brought up an interesting point, if PGMOL had any self-awareness they could implement three to four easy fixes next season to address issues of bias

1. Randomize the selection of referees with caveats for preventing those who support certain teams from reffing them or the rivals. Serie A did something like this for one season to combat accusations of bias in the mid-80s. It was the year Verona won the title.

2. Limits on the amount of times a match official can officiate clubs per season so you don't have the same match officials constantly dealing with the same sides

3. Not making reactive rules changes mid-season. Keep to a rule and implement it regularly rather than backtracking or changing thresholds mid-season when some clubs have already benefited. Any changes can be made during the following season

4. Have refs explain decisions. Allow audio/transcripts of discussions of contentious decisions to be available within 48 hrs of a match
« Last Edit: May 1, 2024, 01:27:56 pm by rafathegaffa83 »

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #25806 on: May 1, 2024, 01:29:51 pm »

The terms they use are just laughable, aren't they?

I still play Sunday League and obviously arguments break out all the time over fouls and non-fouls. I'm just imagining now me turning round to someone I'd kicked and saying "it was just mutual engagement!"
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #25807 on: May 1, 2024, 01:50:11 pm »
The PGMOL boys club is cringeworthy. “Longy have a look at that mate, Tayls what do you reckon mate? Nice one mate”

Maybe having them act as a professional body rather than a group of lads is the first start to improved standards. I bet they’re a right shower of self-entitled wankers when they go for their monthly “boys curry night”.

I hate that. I keep comparing this to air traffic control as that's the ultimate in clear radio communication. Everybody has a designation, nobody speaks over one another because messages are confirmed over, everything is repeated in clear language to ensure no misunderstanding. How hard can it be to send PGMOL on a weekend course at Heathrow and have an ATC boss review every month?

People might think a comparison to ATC is overblown, but at the end of the day why not aim for perfection? PL football is hundreds of millions of pounds at stake on these decisions. If ATC is a bit much, surely getting some ICC umpires in to explain the DRS communication process is a start.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25808 on: May 1, 2024, 02:20:04 pm »
A friend of mine brought up an interesting point, if PGMOL had any self-awareness they could implement three to four easy fixes next season to address issues of bias

1. Randomize the selection of referees with caveats for preventing those who support certain teams from reffing them or the rivals. Serie A did something like this for one season to combat accusations of bias in the mid-80s. It was the year Verona won the title.

2. Limits on the amount of times a match official can officiate clubs per season so you don't have the same match officials constantly dealing with the same sides

3. Not making reactive rules changes mid-season. Keep to a rule and implement it regularly rather than backtracking or changing thresholds mid-season when some clubs have already benefited. Any changes can be made during the following season

4. Have refs explain decisions. Allow audio/transcripts of discussions of contentious decisions to be available within 48 hrs of a match

Point 1 would also benefit the existing roster immensely, because you would have not as well known refs getting a chance to referee some big games. If they were offered proper support by PGMOL, they could prosper from that. By support I mean VAR helping them, not covering for them.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #25809 on: May 1, 2024, 02:26:32 pm »
I hate that. I keep comparing this to air traffic control as that's the ultimate in clear radio communication. Everybody has a designation, nobody speaks over one another because messages are confirmed over, everything is repeated in clear language to ensure no misunderstanding. How hard can it be to send PGMOL on a weekend course at Heathrow and have an ATC boss review every month?

People might think a comparison to ATC is overblown, but at the end of the day why not aim for perfection? PL football is hundreds of millions of pounds at stake on these decisions. If ATC is a bit much, surely getting some ICC umpires in to explain the DRS communication process is a start.

I'd prefer it if they look at pilots and how they communicate. Same as air traffic controllers, but at the same time they could also look at how pilots communicate amongst them (those in the same cockpit), because they make a big point about hierarchies not mattering during communications, i.e. the lower ranked person not being afraid to speak up about stuff that's not right and higher ranked people being thankful for that input rather than feeling undermined. Could also help with how refs and VAR see each other and their roles.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25810 on: May 1, 2024, 03:05:15 pm »

It doesn’t even need to be of that standard. Just an internal acknowledgment that the Referee-VAR is a professional relationship, not an informal one.  Generally speaking high performing companies don’t tend to have meetings or communications where colleagues refer to one another by their pet names, regardless of whether they’re good friends or not.  Certainly not on communications that might end up being heard by clients or third parties. It sounds really bad, especially if they already have a grievance against you. It sounds like they’re taking the piss.

It such a simple thing to get right that it reflects really poorly on those in charge that it’s not implemented.  I’m not saying they should use “Mr Taylor” to or anything, but “Michael” will do instead of “Olly”.  Anthony instead of “Tayls”, and certainly not fucking “Dazzer”.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25811 on: May 1, 2024, 09:28:32 pm »
Taylor and Atwell useless c*nts in Europe too
Jurgen YNWA

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25812 on: May 2, 2024, 01:45:49 am »
No, not Atterz, surely?

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #25813 on: May 2, 2024, 09:00:40 pm »

'Anthony Taylor will be the man in charge of the Superiore’s final on May 26th in Tirana. This match will decide the 2023/24 Albanian champions'.

https://twitter.com/AlbanianFooty/status/1786054840893714843 (may need another / better source)

Like they haven't got enough shit going on.

PS - if anyone works in the betting industry and noticed any large amounts of bets placed for this game from in the Manchester area, let us know. ;D
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #25814 on: May 2, 2024, 09:14:11 pm »
So why can't the PL bring in foreign referees for big games?

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #25815 on: May 2, 2024, 10:30:53 pm »
So why can't the PL bring in foreign referees for big games?

Same reason as VAR don't like sending referees to the pitch-side monitors, mate - their ego.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #25816 on: May 2, 2024, 11:52:47 pm »
'Anthony Taylor will be the man in charge of the Superiore’s final on May 26th in Tirana. This match will decide the 2023/24 Albanian champions'.

https://twitter.com/AlbanianFooty/status/1786054840893714843 (may need another / better source)

Like they haven't got enough shit going on.

PS - if anyone works in the betting industry and noticed any large amounts of bets placed for this game from in the Manchester area, let us know. ;D

Fucking hell, those poor Albanian fans have to rely on him for their season defining game. Seems a tad unfair on them, that.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #25817 on: May 4, 2024, 01:25:26 am »
I see Clattenberg has resigned from his Nottingham Forest position

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #25818 on: May 4, 2024, 09:16:03 pm »
I see Clattenberg has resigned from his Nottingham Forest position

Che Neville will be happy
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #25819 on: May 4, 2024, 10:10:13 pm »
Che Neville will be happy

He’s pretending that he didn’t call for him to resign.

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25820 on: May 4, 2024, 10:22:27 pm »
Eh? He said it live on the tele

Online Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #25821 on: May 4, 2024, 10:42:22 pm »
Eh? He said it live on the tele

I couldn’t believe what I was seeing/hearing. I’ll try find a link.

Edit: Found it. I know this is tiktok but link should work in browser anyway. He flat out says “we’d never call for someone’s resignation” the gaslighting has reached new levels this year

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGeQetTRT/
« Last Edit: May 4, 2024, 10:45:18 pm by Tonyh8su »

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #25822 on: May 5, 2024, 07:48:21 am »

What a weird c*nt.

Like when he said the United protest wasn’t violent.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25823 on: May 5, 2024, 08:21:54 am »
What a weird c*nt.

Like when he said the United protest wasn’t violent.

All amicable and friendly this, even giving canned drinks to the Police

Jurgen YNWA

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #25824 on: May 5, 2024, 09:12:03 am »
Be a strange one today. PGMOL have fucked us out of the league and there is nothing to play for so I can see it going a variety of ways

Referee has a good game. Referees fairly. The best formation, tactics and players win the game and... I'm sorry. I can't even finish this sentence :lmao

Given how much we have been fucked up the arse by PGMOL this season, Tierney inexplicably gives us a raft of decisions, including two penalties that are as dodgy as fuck and the LiVARpool bandwagon gets to build up over the summer about what a lucky club we are

Or.. More likely...

We have an absolute shithouse decision against us - probably a penno or a red card, Klopp loses his shit and Tierney sends him off so that he can't be on the bench the last game of the season. Not sure if a red card for a manager lasts one game or more.

Personally, expecting that Tierney is as openly bent as he's always fucking been and we'll get fucked up the arse like we have been in pretty much every single game this season.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/comments/136rl53/paul_tierney_decisions_against_liverpool/

« Last Edit: May 5, 2024, 09:14:59 am by Andy @ Allerton! »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #25825 on: May 5, 2024, 10:35:19 am »
All amicable and friendly this, even giving canned drinks to the Police

He’s a paid pub bore. Loves the sound of his own voice far too much and just follows his paymasters instructions.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #25826 on: May 5, 2024, 10:51:04 am »
He doesn't think about what he's saying.

He's very good with Carra on MNF but live off the cuff stuff, he's a fucking car crash

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #25827 on: May 5, 2024, 10:56:18 am »
He doesn't think about what he's saying.

He's very good with Carra on MNF but live off the cuff stuff, he's a fucking car crash

They are both too arrogant now.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25828 on: May 5, 2024, 11:08:36 am »
Now we have nothing really to play for it's absolutely guaranteed we get some really clear and obvious decisions going our way that shouldn't. You just watch the narrative change then to "LiVARpool", "refs favour them" etc... The PGMOL will know exactly what they are doing.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #25829 on: May 5, 2024, 03:33:57 pm »
Who remembers going to the match, going to the pub afterward and discussing, the match, the player's performances, the goalscorers, etc? ...

*Sigh*

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25830 on: May 5, 2024, 05:30:22 pm »
Whoever is on VAR should just log off and head on home. 2 clear penalties to us and they're not bothered to look at them. What's the point in them being there?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25831 on: May 5, 2024, 05:31:35 pm »
Whoever is on VAR should just log off and head on home. 2 clear penalties to us and they're not bothered to look at them. What's the point in them being there?

Gakpo trip was ok not being I think. He goes down like a dive even it wasnt.

The handball is insane though. One look and cleared. Guarantee they decided he headed it, which just isn't true. It's one of them where if it doesn't involve us they look at it 100 times over.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25832 on: May 5, 2024, 05:32:12 pm »

The handball is insane though. One look and cleared. Guarantee they decided he headed it, which just isn't true. It's one of them where if it doesn't involve us they look at it 100 times over.
Based on other matches, both were penalties.

Online Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #25833 on: May 5, 2024, 05:34:46 pm »
Based on other matches, both were penalties.

based on other matches that took place just yesterday.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25834 on: May 5, 2024, 06:16:42 pm »
Oh so yo’re checking that for a penalty? Fucking twats.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25835 on: May 5, 2024, 06:19:54 pm »

He gets kicked in the ankle? That's a foul every day of the week. Spurs got a freekick for that in the second half. If a player stays on his feet, he never gets a penalty. We've seen that countless times in the early years of Mo. Absolute joke that decision...

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #25836 on: May 5, 2024, 06:32:30 pm »
It's weird how long some decisions take. One of their goals. Clearly onside.

They spend an age, it's killing the game

If you don't think City get that penalty on Gakpo...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25837 on: May 5, 2024, 06:33:56 pm »
He gets kicked in the ankle? That's a foul every day of the week. Spurs got a freekick for that in the second half. If a player stays on his feet, he never gets a penalty. We've seen that countless times in the early years of Mo. Absolute joke that decision...

No is agree, it should have been a penalty. I just think if you go down the way Gakpo did it gives VAR an easy way out.

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25838 on: May 5, 2024, 06:47:20 pm »
No is agree, it should have been a penalty. I just think if you go down the way Gakpo did it gives VAR an easy way out.

And the answer to that is, if he doesn't go down, it also gives the VAR an easy way out "He stayed on his feet, so clearly it wasn't a foul". The thing is, it shouldn't matter whether or how the player goes down in a situation like that. He clearly gets kicked in the ankle. That's the bottom line. It is something that impedes his progress whether he just gets out of step, but keeps on running or whether he takes off and flies into the front row of the stand. It's a foul. As could be seen in the second half BTW, when almost the exact same thing happened in front of our box and Spurs got a freekick. I'm not necessarily saying the peno wasn't given, because it was us (but I do have a strong feeling it being us played some part), but I'm saying a foul should be a foul whether the player takes a dive, whether it happens in the penalty area or whether there's a blue sky.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25839 on: May 5, 2024, 06:52:52 pm »
And the answer to that is, if he doesn't go down, it also gives the VAR an easy way out "He stayed on his feet, so clearly it wasn't a foul". The thing is, it shouldn't matter whether or how the player goes down in a situation like that. He clearly gets kicked in the ankle. That's the bottom line. It is something that impedes his progress whether he just gets out of step, but keeps on running or whether he takes off and flies into the front row of the stand. It's a foul. As could be seen in the second half BTW, when almost the exact same thing happened in front of our box and Spurs got a freekick. I'm not necessarily saying the peno wasn't given, because it was us (but I do have a strong feeling it being us played some part), but I'm saying a foul should be a foul whether the player takes a dive, whether it happens in the penalty area or whether there's a blue sky.

You could also make that argument with Gomez's high foot though to be fair. Anywhere else on the pitch and that's a foul.