Author Topic: Oasis...Fans ...in ....here.  (Read 180607 times)

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Oasis...Fans ...in ....here.
« Reply #2080 on: June 13, 2021, 11:27:08 pm »
Noel on the sky arts documentary just admitted everything from be here now to don't believe the truth was forgettable, bar the odd song.

strange when those albums came out, they were the best thing he did in yrs, he always said

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #2081 on: June 13, 2021, 11:33:37 pm »
Got very little time for him after this week's news.

However, Oasis songs were a significant part of my growing up soundtrack and I don't think I'll ever not enjoy - at the very least - the hit of nostalgia they give me.

Be Here Now always gets slammed, but it's got some really enjoyable moments.  The opener has got a cracking swagger to it, and I really like some of the up-tempo ones - 'My Big Mouth', 'I Hope, I Think, I Know', and 'It's Gettin' Better Man'.

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2082 on: August 15, 2021, 09:37:23 pm »
so much of their music is dire, used to love them. I moved on and left them behind, was boss supporting them like a footy team when I didn't know what good music was, just havin a boss time with me mates.
PSN: white-of-my-eyes

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #2083 on: August 25, 2021, 08:29:39 pm »
I see the Knebworth Documentary is coming out next month. The promo videos I've seen look very good. They've obviously gone for a nostalgic angle on it, which is understandable I suppose. It was one of those rare gigs that really captured the imagination and held you in the moment. I remember seeing them in Cork 25 years ago as a young teenager and hanging on every word. The songs, the melodies, the attitude, it all seemed to "click" for the youth at the time. It all went to fuck after Morning Glory though. I decided to listen back through all their albums recently and fuck me, there's some right dire dreary shite in there, particularly on 'Standing on the Shoulders of Giants'.

'Don't Believe The Truth' and 'Heathen Chemistry' are ok. There's nothing in there that I'd consider musically interesting or inventive. 'Dig Out Your Soul' has a few decent tunes but they're sandwiched between a lot of shite. As for 'Be Here Now', the less said about that the better. All in all though, it's not a bad discography, considering Noel isn't half the genius he makes himself out to be. He has a knack for melodies, I'll give him that, but there's no doubt he's a shameless thieving bastard. He also seems to have completely disappeared up his own hole in recent years. At least Liam has stayed true to himself by still being the same c*nt he was from day 1

I'll watch the documentary for sure though, for the nostalgia at least   
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #2084 on: August 26, 2021, 01:14:59 pm »
I actually rate  'Be Here Now' , It was one of my first CD album purchases when i was just 12 years old!

Never actually bought another Oasis album until i was in my 20s

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2085 on: August 26, 2021, 01:18:52 pm »
Pretty fair summary Billy. I can’t say I listen to them now at all but if a song comes on the radio it generally takes me back. I remember listening to the Knebworth concert on a shirt Walkman while on holiday in Normandy, and could just about pick up Radio 1!

Came home a few days later to find out my mates had gone at the last minute so was pretty gutted to miss out. Think A Level results came out the next week. Aaah, nostalgia. :D

Online kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #2086 on: September 7, 2021, 01:14:57 am »
I see the Knebworth Documentary is coming out next month

Does it mention them lads from Marsh Lane , Bootle ?
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2087 on: September 10, 2021, 09:18:51 am »
I really like this.

https://youtu.be/Ur1Q4ogZbRY

Offline Elliemental

• Kopite
  • You Love Us
« Reply #2088 on: September 20, 2021, 09:01:23 pm »
Glad I'm not the only person who still rates "Be Here Now". No, it's not a patch on "Definitely Maybe" or "What's the Story", but it still has its moments. I love the actual song BHN, Magic Pie and All Around the World would have been a belter had they trimmed some of the fat from the track.

Definitely Maybe, however, will always be the soundtrack of my misspent youth. Every song on that album is pure brilliance.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #2091 on: October 2, 2021, 08:35:59 am »
Fair fucks to Liam I say. His solo material mightn't be the greatest, and his gimmick might be a bit jaded, but he's still way more relevant than Noel these days. The impression I've always gotten from Noel is he seems to be convinced that he was the brains behind the success of Oasis. I don't think I've ever seen him make it through an interview without self-aggrandising over what a genius he supposedly is. Don't get me wrong, I think he wrote some great tunes, and certainly has a knack for catchy melodies, but a genius he is not. His catalogue has its fair share of dreary shite as well. He'll probably never admit it, but it must eat away at him watching Liam headline major festivals while he's out playing little theatres and side stages. I also reckon that deep down he knows he'd still be tuning guitars for the Inspiral Carpets if it wasn't for Liam's persona
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2092 on: October 3, 2021, 05:23:25 am »
Fair fucks to Liam I say. His solo material mightn't be the greatest, and his gimmick might be a bit jaded, but he's still way more relevant than Noel these days. The impression I've always gotten from Noel is he seems to be convinced that he was the brains behind the success of Oasis. I don't think I've ever seen him make it through an interview without self-aggrandising over what a genius he supposedly is. Don't get me wrong, I think he wrote some great tunes, and certainly has a knack for catchy melodies, but a genius he is not. His catalogue has its fair share of dreary shite as well. He'll probably never admit it, but it must eat away at him watching Liam headline major festivals while he's out playing little theatres and side stages. I also reckon that deep down he knows he'd still be tuning guitars for the Inspiral Carpets if it wasn't for Liam's persona
Noel had a great first solo album and a good second solo album, then he decided to prove that he was the genius behind all of Oasis' success when Liam released his debut album, Noel released a god-awful third album that had maybe one good song.

Since 2017, Liam has been much more relevant than Noel, had Noel stuck to what made his first two solo albums great, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Online redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #2093 on: October 3, 2021, 07:22:48 am »
Yeah Noel’s shot himself in the foot quite a lot though over the past 5 years or so.

Like you say, in an attempt to prove something he did something which alienated his fan base and when it didn’t stick, rather than admit defeat he came out with words to the effect of ‘Oasis fans are living in the past and I don’t need them, I’ve moved on’. And move on they did, to his younger brother.

I’ve seen them both in their solo careers and it’s chalk and cheese. Noel’s was a very civilised affair, almost entirely acoustic with strings. Liam’s was basically like seeing Oasis. People going mental, singing their hearts out and I have to say an average age of 20/21 which I found incredible given how long Oasis have been defunct for. Neither are wrong, Noel is in his 50’s so has every right to calm things down but it appears Oasis’ legacy is growing and they’re all gravitating to Liam to get their fix.

On a side note, I’ve noticed that Noel is already feeling the heat because after once saying he hopes to get to a point where he doesn’t have to play any Oasis songs l, he’s now said he wants to record a whole album of reworked Oasis songs….

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2094 on: October 15, 2021, 01:31:20 pm »
Noel had a great first solo album and a good second solo album, then he decided to prove that he was the genius behind all of Oasis' success when Liam released his debut album, Noel released a god-awful third album that had maybe one good song.

Since 2017, Liam has been much more relevant than Noel, had Noel stuck to what made his first two solo albums great, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Noel had a great first album but I massively disagree that had he stuck with that formula that we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

What made Oasis the sensation that they were wasn’t really the tunes, although they did have some great tunes, it was Liam and the rock n roll persona that Oasis developed because of him which he’s now managed to revive. People spent years desperate for Oasis to get back together and those shouts have largely quietened now because they essentially have reformed but without Noel, I’ve seen Liam a couple of times since 2017 and it’s been fucking boss, I’ve seen Noel once and I could barely hear him.

It’s about what you like at the end of the day, for me music is about watching it live, the attitude and the way it makes you feel, if that’s your bag then Liam will always be the winner,  if you prefer to sit at home with a glass of scotch listening to acoustic tunes (which I do sometimes) then it will be Noel. Absolutely neither is wrong or objectively better or worse than the other, but one will always sell better than the other if you do it right which is why Liam is selling out Knebworth 2 days on the spin and Noel is not.

I think the fact that Liam has managed to basically maintain the average age of his audience that Oasis had 25 years ago is testament to quite how well that product sells. People want their rock stars to be flawed but cool, and he pulls that off perfectly.

Roll on Knebworth.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #2095 on: October 15, 2021, 02:41:48 pm »
Rumour has it that Liam Gallagher will be at the Piece Hall in Halifax (5,000 capacity) next summer along with Weller (different dates i am presuming)

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2096 on: October 15, 2021, 02:44:09 pm »
 :lmao
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #2097 on: October 19, 2021, 08:36:43 am »
I wouldn't listen to either of them these days, but I at least respect Noel for trying something different. Rather than churning out some sweaty, 50 year old, pound-shop Karaoke pub tunes about being young. In a parker.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #2098 on: December 21, 2023, 11:58:39 am »
Liam and John Squire collaboration due next year: https://www.gallaghersquire.com/

Single released 5th January, and an album to follow: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/dec/21/liam-gallagher-and-the-stone-roses-john-squire-album

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #2099 on: December 24, 2023, 07:31:16 am »
Liam and John Squire collaboration due next year: https://www.gallaghersquire.com/

Single released 5th January, and an album to follow: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/dec/21/liam-gallagher-and-the-stone-roses-john-squire-album

Little snippet of the song, does sound Stone Roses Waterfall esc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O6Pe8-SHg0
#Sausages

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #2100 on: January 5, 2024, 11:35:44 am »
That new Liam Gallagher / John Squires song is really terrible. How terrible? I'd prefer to hear a Noel Gallagher / Ian Brown collaboration than another song from them.

https://open.spotify.com/track/2xE7912IhBp4poxLjOS6WJ?si=w5FYsVldTOiwF3kAEuTMqA&nd=1&dlsi=85c68e3b0b8942e3
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2101 on: January 5, 2024, 03:13:43 pm »
It sounds okay musically, just a bit dated and cloying and the song itself isn't up to that much. I actually think a Squire/Noel collaboration would be decent, but neither he nor Liam are really good with song structure or lyrics.

Offline jedimaster

• Kopite
« Reply #2102 on: January 5, 2024, 04:31:25 pm »
That new Liam Gallagher / John Squires song is really terrible. How terrible? I'd prefer to hear a Noel Gallagher / Ian Brown collaboration than another song from them.

There you go : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz1t7SS6zYg

Listened to the Gallagher/Squire song and it has grown on me. Clearly an echo of former glories that pales in comparison to what they did in their heydays, but still nice to hear something new, especially from John.
We do beg your pardon, but we are in your garden

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #2103 on: January 6, 2024, 04:36:41 pm »

https://open.spotify.com/track/2xE7912IhBp4poxLjOS6WJ?si=w5FYsVldTOiwF3kAEuTMqA&nd=1&dlsi=85c68e3b0b8942e3

The harmony is almost identical to Who Feels Love, a track that was utterly forgettable when it was on Standing on the Shoulder of Giants, over 20 years ago. Don’t know how the Gallagher’s don’t get bored re-interpreting the same thing over and over again.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2104 on: January 6, 2024, 08:17:36 pm »
It sounds okay musically, just a bit dated and cloying and the song itself isn't up to that much. I actually think a Squire/Noel collaboration would be decent, but neither he nor Liam are really good with song structure or lyrics.

It's nice to hear Squire's guitar again but it just feels like half an idea for a song stretched over 5 minutes. Just relying on a 'vibe' and a general sound instead of an actual song.

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2105 on: January 13, 2024, 09:32:45 am »
Squire and Gallagher definitely had a few cans of Carling and got playing with Chat GPT 1.0, sounds like a first gen AI song. Got ten songs in a night.

MAD FOT I.T
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #2106 on: February 6, 2024, 10:53:20 pm »
Here's the latest release, From Mars To Liverpool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm9D7Gs_OeQ
#Sausages

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2107 on: February 12, 2024, 03:32:51 pm »
Oasis were a big part of my youth but honestly never, ever listen to them now.
Their music really hasn't aged well at all.
Gallagher is a tool. Was funny at first back when we all were young but then we grew up.
He didn't.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #2108 on: February 12, 2024, 03:35:05 pm »
Oasis were a big part of my youth but honestly never, ever listen to them now.
Gallagher is a tool. Was funny at first back when we all were young but then we grew up.
He didn't.

Both of them have always been a pair of twats. They were back then and still are now. Nothing has changed.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2109 on: February 12, 2024, 03:50:59 pm »
Both of them have always been a pair of twats. They were back then and still are now. Nothing has changed.

No argument here.
But being a twat when your twenty is more appealing than remaining a twat when your 50.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #2110 on: February 12, 2024, 04:17:30 pm »
No argument here.
But being a twat when your twenty is more appealing than remaining a twat when your 50.

That is very true  ;D

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2111 on: February 12, 2024, 04:36:34 pm »

That's because it was never more than pub band level

Another case of musical "emperors new clothes"
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2112 on: February 12, 2024, 06:26:19 pm »
Disagree that the music hasn't aged well. Basically 30 years later and some of those early tracks remain up there with the most popular the country has produced. The first two albums are genuine greats, the rest was largely forgettable but every album still had a couple of really good songs.

The Gallaghers are both nobheads in their own ways, I do agree its much less funny when youre past middle age, but I can't help but love them for what they used to be.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2113 on: February 12, 2024, 09:59:09 pm »
That's because it was never more than pub band level
Another case of musical "emperors new clothes"

Absolute nonsense.

The stuff they churned out in the mid-90s stands toe to with anything. Stuff like Slide Away, The Masterplan, Live Forever etc is not “pub band level”.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2114 on: February 12, 2024, 10:19:45 pm »
Would have to make a great argument to convince me songs like 'Don't Look Back In Anger; 'Live Forever' hasn't aged well, i mean people knew they were a Beatles rip off back then, whats really changed?

I think more than it not aging well, its just nostalgic, it takes you back to a particular time but thats what music is supposed to do.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2115 on: February 13, 2024, 12:38:33 am »
Oasis are pretty much the most popular music of that era amongst kids now, so it's quite a stretch to say it hasn't aged well. I'd say the first two years have aged like fine wine, it shouldn't be overshadowed by Liam's (and it is 90% Liam's) subsequent cokehead behaviour. They're the third leg of the Britpop tripod with Blur and Pulp, and arguably the most important.

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2116 on: February 13, 2024, 07:18:12 am »
Oasis are pretty much the most popular music of that era amongst kids now, so it's quite a stretch to say it hasn't aged well. I'd say the first two years have aged like fine wine, it shouldn't be overshadowed by Liam's (and it is 90% Liam's) subsequent cokehead behaviour. They're the third leg of the Britpop tripod with Blur and Pulp, and arguably the most important.

Oasis are possibly more populer now than when they split up

What's helped them is rock music has turned to crap in the last 20 yrs.  If a band as good as led zep, the smiths had come out that would age them, even Oasis' b sides album the masterplan is as good as any rock record in  about 20 yrs

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #2117 on: February 13, 2024, 06:57:38 pm »
Would have to make a great argument to convince me songs like 'Don't Look Back In Anger; 'Live Forever' hasn't aged well, i mean people knew they were a Beatles rip off back then, whats really changed?

I think more than it not aging well, its just nostalgic, it takes you back to a particular time but thats what music is supposed to do.

I`ve never understood the Beatles rip off-thing. Apart of Liam Gallagher sounding a bit like John Lennon, their sound doesn`t sound like The Beatles. Definitely Maybe sounds more like Sex Pistols than the Beatles.

Offline lobsterboy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2118 on: February 14, 2024, 02:46:18 pm »
Oasis are what you get if Slade had come from Burnage  ;D
When I'm feeling nostalgic for those days I usually end up sticking The Verve on, not Oasis.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2119 on: February 14, 2024, 03:21:50 pm »
Interesting views. I’m definitely more in the ‘don’t listen to them at all’ camp now and I was a big fan from 94-98 in my teenage years. If a song of theirs comes in I won’t turn it off but I don’t seem to actively play their stuff anymore, even though I love some 90s indie nostalgia when I’m out for a run or in the car.

Pathetically, I think some of that is just getting pissed off with the City shrilling.