Author Topic: "The Letter of the law....."  (Read 2675 times)

Offline Night Porter

• Anny Roader
"The Letter of the law....."
« on: February 12, 2003, 09:47:20 pm »
Said ref Barry as he sent Robert off, oh yeah? then how come Ashley Cole wasn't booked for diving first half and Bergkamp for an attempted stamp on Jenas? I mean the intent was clear - in Cole's case to get Shearer booked & in Bergkamp's case to injure Jenas.Didn't follow the letter of the law there eh? Or was it that the media darlings were coming under the cosh and you relieved some pressure for them? I tell you these guys are deciding who wins what and who gets relegated etc. :upyours  
"We didn't underestimate them,but they were a lot better than we thought"Sir Bobby Robson.

hoonin

Re:"The Letter of the law....."
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2003, 09:50:42 pm »
You getting relegated then? ;D

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2003, 10:43:40 am »
Still, you're team put up a hell of a fight, I got really excited watching it on TV. Shame that lob in the last minute didn't go in, I think Seaman had been training on balls like that for obvious reasons ;). As for the red card: the ref should have had more feeling for the match and kept the 2nd yellow in his pocket. The first one Robert got was justified though ... But I think it might have only made your team fight more in the end, Arsenal didn't have fuck all to say in the 2nd half. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Offline Night Porter

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2003, 02:42:03 pm »
My point about relegation was that the refs decisions will determine who stays up or goes down - take West Brom,not one penalty all season? We beat them up here,but they had a blatent penalty refused.Apart from Sunderland (who are the worst team ever) it is hard to see which 2 teams will go down,My bet would be Bolton as their manager Sam Allardyce is always slating the refs and they will "have" him for it.  
"We didn't underestimate them,but they were a lot better than we thought"Sir Bobby Robson.

Offline stoz

• John Motson. The Flag Bearer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2003, 11:36:52 pm »
My point about relegation was that the refs decisions will determine who stays up or goes down

I don't think you can say that it's down to referees. ok, you may lose one or maybe two games because of bad decisions made against you, but that doesn't explain why you were consistently one of the worst three or four sides over the course of the season.

Remember Bolton going down a few years ago? They claimed it was because of 'goal' against Everton which was disallowed despite the ball being a foot over the line. The game finished 0-0. Yes, they may have felt aggreived as it cost them two points. But blaming that for going down? Possibly if the game was one of the last 3 or 4, but this particular match was actually their first home game in August! It's not like they didn't have time to recover from the setback. And I'm sure they would have got an equally poor decision go in their favour somewhere during that season too.