Author Topic: Standardised charging cable  (Read 751 times)

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Standardised charging cable
« on: October 4, 2022, 03:41:30 pm »
Probably mentioned in another thread but just in case...
European MPs have voted for a law requiring all new portable devices to use the same type of charging cable.

Smartphones and tablets, including the Apple iPhone and iPad, would have to use a USB-C charger from 2024, while laptop manufacturers would have until 2026 to make the change.

The new rule will cover a range of "small and medium-sized portable electronics", according the EU, including:

mobile phones
tablets
e-readers
mice and keyboards
GPS (global positioning system) devices
headphones, headsets and earphones
digital cameras
handheld videogame consoles
portable speakers
As an Android phone/tablet user with an iPhone user wife, Sony and Canon cameras and Garmin Satnav - all inexplicably with different chargers - I think this is a great thing.  The nest of tangled chargers may one day be a thing of the past!

Following a provisional agreement by the European Union, in June 2022, the UK government told News BBC it was not "currently considering" introducing a common charging cable.
The UK is sitting it out currently but hopefully we follow suit shortly.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
Re: Standardised charging cable
« Reply #1 on: October 4, 2022, 03:43:45 pm »
Wouldn't trust Apple to go USB-C. The next iPhone could be wireless charging only
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2 on: October 4, 2022, 07:28:54 pm »
Wouldn't trust Apple to go USB-C. The next iPhone could be wireless charging only
The most likely move I reckon…. Although lots of apple devices are usb-c charged so it wouldn’t be a massive step
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 4, 2022, 07:34:06 pm »
I think you'll find we'll be using our own chargers in Brexit Britain, the EU can't tell us what to do anymore.

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: October 5, 2022, 08:20:02 am »

Portless iPhones have been rumoured for a while, as has a new iPhone charging system at high speeds that Apple have apparently created a new cable for, that would circumnavigate a EU directive as USB-C can't reach the new speed.

My MacBook and iPad charge via USB-C anyway and I can't remember the last time I plugged a cable into my phone.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #5 on: October 5, 2022, 08:38:15 am »
All my devices are USBC

Laptop, tablet, phone, charging bank etc. Even a little hoover I bought

Honestly it's great. I've got one charging point basically. Never need to change the cable. Only variation is my phone can do wireless so I have another setup for that

Don't agree with any concept of a slower charging time. My phone has a charging brick, charges the blower in about 25 mins. Cable isn't the issue

« Last Edit: October 5, 2022, 08:39:56 am by ToneLa »

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 5, 2022, 04:22:41 pm »
I think you'll find we'll be using our own chargers in Brexit Britain, the EU can't tell us what to do anymore.

Brexit Britain*

*excluding NI who can ditch their lightning cables.