Author Topic: Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Amazon TV series - September 2022)  (Read 40873 times)

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Amazon TV series - September 2022)
« Reply #200 on: September 2, 2022, 04:00:50 am »
You can watch it now. I switched off soon after the “do you know why a ship floats and a stone sinks” conversation. It seems intolerably boring, unfortunately.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: September 2, 2022, 09:26:02 am »
I really enjoyed it....
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: September 2, 2022, 09:42:27 am »
You can watch it now. I switched off soon after the “do you know why a ship floats and a stone sinks” conversation. It seems intolerably boring, unfortunately.

Haven't seen it yet but you have read Lord of the Rings right? Let me tell you about a man named Tom Bombadil...

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #203 on: September 2, 2022, 09:45:54 am »
Loved that first episode, they really nailed the look of it, tis gorgeous. Performances are sound too.

Not enough tits though.

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: September 2, 2022, 10:02:34 am »
Thought it was a good start, looking forward to more episodes!

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #205 on: September 2, 2022, 10:48:54 am »
Loved that first episode, they really nailed the look of it, tis gorgeous. Performances are sound too.

Not enough tits though.

It's a TV-14 so none of that kind of stuff will be in it  ;D

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #206 on: September 2, 2022, 11:06:23 am »
It's a TV-14 so none of that kind of stuff will be in it  ;D

Battle of the Five Boobies?

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgĺrden Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: September 2, 2022, 11:18:04 am »
Haven't seen it yet but you have read Lord of the Rings right? Let me tell you about a man named Tom Bombadil...

Jesus Christ almighty it took me like 3 months on audiobook to listen to the first book, with at least 6 weeks being that dickhead. God it's a real slog at times

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: September 2, 2022, 11:21:52 am »
Jesus Christ almighty it took me like 3 months on audiobook to listen to the first book, with at least 6 weeks being that dickhead. God it's a real slog at times

I am on Return of the King at the moment with Andy Serkis narrating. Done the first last month. He does a great Ian McKellen impression. His Smeagol is passable as well.

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: September 2, 2022, 12:31:03 pm »
Not enough tits though.
I thought Lenny Henry was in it?

Offline Tombellylfc

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #210 on: September 2, 2022, 12:57:26 pm »
I've not looked at the social media reaction yet but no doubt that will be the shit show it often is for the big franchises. Probably would be better and enjoy it all more if I don't check to to be honest because I enjoyed those first 2 episodes and I'm looking forward to more

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: September 2, 2022, 01:22:42 pm »
I've not looked at the social media reaction yet but no doubt that will be the shit show it often is for the big franchises. Probably would be better and enjoy it all more if I don't check to to be honest because I enjoyed those first 2 episodes and I'm looking forward to more

There were a whole group of people lining up to slate it months ago before they'd even seen a trailer (because it was 'woke' and destroying Tolkien's legacy or something), so no doubt they'll all be telling us it's a train wreck regardless of how good it actually is. They're so invested in it being terrible that they can't cope with anyone saying anything good about it, so they've already been saying that all the good reviews are fake and / or paid for by Amazon, and the only 'real' reviews are the bad ones. But there are some people discussing it sensibly on Twitter, like Nerd of the Rings and Tolkien Professor.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: September 2, 2022, 05:00:45 pm »
Thought it was great. If you're obsessed with seeing the supposed "message" in everything you watch, you probably won't like it but then again you probably find it hard to enjoy anything at all these days. roll on episode 3

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #213 on: September 2, 2022, 08:39:19 pm »

You're nuts. It's gorgeous, brilliant, clearly building for something.

Every scene just jawdropping gorgeous

If you're a total nerd for the books or hate fantasy you won't like it but having spent two hours without even being able to look at me phone it's brilliant

Two episodes here are just setup, and still great. The story isn't going yet. But it's setup. It's great, wish it was all available now!

Thank god I bought a massive 4k TV

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: September 2, 2022, 08:41:19 pm »

I'm surprised to say I looked on The One Ring forums and there's actually a really positive writeup and posts there

If THEY can like it...

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #215 on: September 2, 2022, 09:34:23 pm »
Really enjoyed the first two episodes a great show.

Looking forward to the rest.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: September 2, 2022, 11:25:15 pm »
Watched the first episode. As po-faced as you’d expect and the begorrah Oirish accents really grated on me. But a promising start. Ridiculously beautiful for a tv series and decent acting.

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: September 3, 2022, 12:31:55 am »
It's better than I expected from the trailers and screenshots, where I've been quite critical. Trying my best not to compare it with the LOTR movies and just take it for what it is. Looking forward to the remaining seven episodes this season.
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #218 on: September 3, 2022, 01:25:25 am »
They are saying the show is getting review bombed on Rotten Tomatoes the audience score is 34% with over 2000 reviews.

Not sure why people do this it may hurt a film that you have to go to the cinema to see not sure it will hurt asomething that's on streaming.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2022, 01:33:42 am by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: September 3, 2022, 01:28:21 am »
I think it's great so far.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #220 on: September 3, 2022, 02:31:31 am »
I loved it, looks amazing.
We are Liverpool!

Offline RAWK Meltdown #1

• "Assume they got our phones, assume they got our houses, assume they got us, right here, right now as we sit, everything. Assume it all..."
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • " When You Have To Shoot..Shoot...don't TIKI-TAKA"
« Reply #221 on: September 3, 2022, 03:49:17 am »
Though not religious, I've read The Bible from cover to cover....more than once (different translations just to be thorough)

I've also read everything Tolkien ever wrote.

Imagine if Amazon bought the "rights" to The Bible and then...you know, just kind of did their own thing with the "official" narrative, but still wanted to market it as a "Bible Inspired" adaptation.

Now imagine the backlash they might get from people who ARE devoutly religious.

This might go some way to explaining why this production is already getting panned on all manner of online platforms.

There's people out there who know their Bible, and there's people out there who know their Tolkien

Both of these groups are extremely precious about official narrative and canon.

(As they perceive it to be..)

I've tried to watch Rings Of Power as a "stand alone" fantasy.

I even said to the missus, "Let's just pretend I know NOTHING whatsoever about Tolkien's universe..."

I tried man...I really did.....but halfway through the second instalment it had to go off, and the missus agreed....and she knows NOTHING about Tolkien's middle-earth backstory.

The visuals are stunning off course, and I'd like a few stills of them for desktop wallpaper, but otherwise....nope!!

I'm in the unfortunate position of being able to see exactly what they've attempted to do with this, and the modernity themes they've attempted to overwash it with.

And that's just me....somebody whose extremely Tolkien literate....but extremely far from being a Tolkien zealot.

I've read The Bible enough to spot if somebody was f*cking with the basic narrative.

I've also read Tolkien enough to be able to spot the same.

There's really nothing Tolkien about this adaptation whatsoever. They've misinterpreted and misrepresented key characters and their functions within the lore of the original universe.

They haven't improved anything by doing this....they've basically just made it an unwatchable act of sabotage for those who are Tolkien literate.

There's claims Amazon are getting "review bombed" by negative critiques.

Well....yeah....off course they are. I mean, what did they honestly expect?

Millions of people are extremely passionate about Tolkien's work and revere it with great esteem.

You "f*ck with it" at your own peril IMHO!!

YNWA

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: September 3, 2022, 05:51:18 am »
Though not religious, I've read The Bible from cover to cover....more than once (different translations just to be thorough)

Imagine if Amazon bought the "rights" to The Bible and then...you know, just kind of did their own thing with the "official" narrative, but still wanted to market it as a "Bible Inspired" adaptation.

This might go some way to explaining why this production is already getting panned on all manner of online platforms.

There's people out there who know their Bible, and there's people out there who know their Tolkien

I even said to the missus, "Let's just pretend I know NOTHING whatsoever about Tolkien's universe..."

I tried man...I really did.....but halfway through the second instalment it had to go off, and the missus agreed....and she knows NOTHING about Tolkien's middle-earth backstory.

The visuals are stunning off course, and I'd like a few stills of them for desktop wallpaper, but otherwise....nope!!

I'm in the unfortunate position of being able to see exactly what they've attempted to do with this, and the modernity themes they've attempted to overwash it with.

And that's just me....somebody whose extremely Tolkien literate....but extremely far from being a Tolkien zealot.

I've read The Bible enough to spot if somebody was f*cking with the basic narrative.

There's really nothing Tolkien about this adaptation whatsoever. They've misinterpreted and misrepresented key characters and their functions within the lore of the original universe.

They haven't improved anything by doing this....they've basically just made it an unwatchable act of sabotage for those who are Tolkien literate.

Millions of people are extremely passionate about Tolkien's work and revere it with great esteem.

The Bible stuff is weird and isn't helping your argument IMO but let me guess

You don't like this Tolkien adaptation,

Because it's too soon?

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: September 3, 2022, 07:58:32 am »
you must've done a serious stretch?? Fair play. Read the bible numerous times and on top you've read those tolkien books? where do you get the time to have a missus which suggests a social life and time to watch tv mate?? ;D i thought people like yourself lived in hermit caves!

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: September 3, 2022, 08:06:51 am »
You don’t need to be a hermit to read the bible. Took me about 3 months as a teen. Reading is great. More should try it.

I’ve read a lot of Tolkien but not everything. But, I have a very different view to Meltdown when it comes to adaptations. Every person who picks up a book does an adaptation in their mind. It will almost certainly vary wildly from what others saw. That’s why tv/film adaptations of books I’ve read and love rarely bother me.

I’m working with my sister on adapting her novel for tv and it regularly surprises her how differently I read into things and hot many subtle (important) things I missed.

« Last Edit: September 3, 2022, 08:12:19 am by thejbs »

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: September 3, 2022, 08:11:36 am »
You don’t need to be a hermit to read the bible. Took me about 3 months as a teen. Reading is great. More should try it.
you didn't read the bible in 3 months as a teenager. you scanned over it, be honest! Like i say fair play to anyone's read it. This website is reading, that's my fill
« Last Edit: September 3, 2022, 08:13:46 am by Lawnmowerman »

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: September 3, 2022, 08:13:30 am »
you didn't read the bible in 3 months as a teenager. you scanned over it, be honest! Like i say fair play to anyone's read it

I read it like I would a novel - a work of fantasy fiction. If you ‘study it’ then it will take longer.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #227 on: September 3, 2022, 08:46:50 am »

The problem with all of this is that some people (predominantly Tolkein fans obviously) were determined to hate it regardless of the content or quality. You look at the trailers or pop onto the relevant bits of Reddit and you have countless posts of people imploring others not to bother watching it, and to review bomb it.

Now, as hard as it is to believe, it's not made for that relatively small group of people. It's made to have a broad appeal, capitalising on the current interest in fantasy epics (see GoT) and building on the success of the LotR films. That's one of the reasons for it incorporating "modern themes". Complaining about this to me is like people complaining that Doctor Who shouldn't be a woman or that Bond can't be blonde. It's all fiction, it's all made up. These aren't real things that have been written down. And some of the complaints about woke casting etc are unbelievable. Who the fuck cares if a dwarf is black or white - they're not fucking real.

I read LotR and the Hobbit as a teenager and honestly, I don't remember the finer details now. I know for a fact that the Hobbit films bore scant resemblance to the book, but if they were good films I wouldn't have really cared. The issue is that they were basically shite. I'd watch the Two Towers again happily but I'd be surprised if I ever watch one of the Hobbit films again. Not because it offended the lore but because it was rubbish. The LotR films set an exceptionally high bar. That being said, my wife is a big Tolkein fan and I know that are numerous inconsistencies between the books and film - that's the nature of adaptations and the need to condense a hugely dense story into approximately 10 hours of screentime.

It would probably be better for film makers to say that Rings of Power was "inspired by" Tolkein's works rather than being an adaptation of it. It might mollify the most passionate, or it might not. But no one is ever going to make an entirely faithful adaptation of the endless backstory and Tolkein lore. Ultimately much of it would be fairly dull. There's a reason that LotR is popular but most haven't dug into the Silmarillion or memorised the appendices to the former. I love backstory and depth but most people frankly aren't bothered and find it dry.

Sometimes I feel like shouting at the zealots in these circumstances - frankly they should be extremely grateful that a production company has lavished something they're interested in with a vast budget and beautiful cinematography. I can't comment on the acting or plotting as I've not watched it yet. As a big Stephen King fan I'm used to getting excited about adaptations, only for them to disappoint because directors, editors and producers struggle to "get it right". The Stand, Under the Dome, the Dark Tower etc. But of course there are also some brilliant examples which I can enjoy, and there's nothing to stop me ignoring them all and just reading the books again. In any case, I wouldn't dream of review bombing, it's fucking stupid to review something you've not seen and that thousands of people have worked on. Life's too short.

The Bible comparisons are interesting but I think it's missing a key point which is that (whether or not you believe) the Bible is a religious text. If you're not a Christian you can view it either as a historical record or a series of allegorical stories (or moral messages) but it's purpose is to evangelise, spread the Christian messages and provide teachings to Christians about how to worship and live their lives. If someone wants to parody it, they can (see Life of Brian). There have been numerous adaptations which have received different degrees of criticism from the church/Christians.

The difference for me is that if you inherently believe in the bible and are a christian, making significant changes to the content which undermine the message/purpose is offensive to your faith and beliefs. The Bible is, in theory, a historical record (at least as far as it relates to the life of Jesus and beyond, I don't think there are many left who believe that the entire world flooded while Noah lived on a boat with two of every animal or that Moses lived to 500 years old). Bible "zealots" believe every single word as fact. Tolkein is, in its entirety, a work of fiction. That doesn't mean it can't be hugely important to people, and that they can't be protective of the source material, but as it's expressly not real it's not equivalent to the bible which is intended to be read as real (whether you believe that or not).
« Last Edit: September 3, 2022, 09:01:25 am by JerseyKloppite »

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: September 3, 2022, 08:49:47 am »
I read it like I would a novel - a work of fantasy fiction. If you ‘study it’ then it will take longer.

Mainly because it's heavy reading. It's considerably easier than older works (the English bible is the foundation of modern English after all), but it's still not something we're used to. Tolkien has elements of heavy reading, but it's still elements, not the whole.

I don't mind adaptations, but the originals still have some themes that should be kept. If you throw out these themes, it doesn't matter how your adaptations look, they're still shit.

Some adaptations highlight these themes even better than the original text, and I love them for it. Eg. PJ's Boromir is much more the hero Faramir idollised and Denethor adored than the text Boromir Tolkien gave us, chiefly because of Sean Bean. I love that adaptation. PJ's Aragorn killed an envoy, which is against just about everything Tolkien wrote about. I don't love that adaptation.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: September 3, 2022, 09:38:27 am »

It would probably be better for film makers to say that Rings of Power was "inspired by" Tolkein's works rather than being an adaptation of it. It might mollify the most passionate, or it might not. But no one is ever going to make an entirely faithful adaptation of the endless backstory and Tolkein lore. Ultimately much of it would be fairly dull. There's a reason that LotR is popular but most haven't dug into the Silmarillion or memorised the appendices to the former. I love backstory and depth but most people frankly aren't bothered and find it dry.

I don't think the term "adaptation" has been used previously and it seems clear enough to me that that's not what that is - the rights they own alone make that very clear

It's not and has never been an attempt at doing the Silmarillion and that alone is much of why this series needs to create original material

It's not, I don't think, an "adaptation" of anything with material from anywhere other than Lord of the Rings inclusive of its appendices

The show's full title indeed includes The Lord of the Rings so to me, somebody up to speed on Tolkien (I am most certainly not) has no actual reason to assume it's an adaptation of the Silmarillion, the Lost Tales etc. Amazon don't have the rights but nowt but LOTR

One presumes there is a contingent against even the very idea of veering from Tolkien's words, but this was never really an adaptation - I don't believe it's even sold itself as such, it's just "a fantasy series" based on Lord of the Rings.

Anybody with a cursory knowledge of the texts should probably have expected creative liberties to be taken as soon as they learned the scope of what it can cover is merely just LOTR. In many cases it's going to be different from the books because it's not the books they legally can reference.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2022, 09:41:46 am by ToneLa »

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: September 3, 2022, 09:39:53 am »
The other point to remember here is that it's not an adaptation of an actual book or existing story - it's literally trying to expand on a limited amount of information Tolkien wrote about the 2nd Age. There's no existing detailed story to actually adapt (and they don't have the rights to the Silmarillion). So the big events that happen will still happen, but most of the details of how things develop are having to be created or pieced together using what detail Tolkien did leave in various places.

Therefore the idea that they're completely contradicting the lore or the characters is not really valid, since there simply isn't much there to contradict. People have complained that Galadriel was never a warrior, but you have to remember she is thousands of years old and there are huge gaps in the record of what she did at various times. Plus, there were some later writings of Tolkien where he did mention her leading armies. It could be argued that Jackson's movies changed more details about characters, events and themes than this show does - and Tolkien's son hated them - yet most people love those films, or at least don't hate them with a passion for contradicting the lore.

I don't know how anyone can say they have a full understanding of all the themes and character arcs after like two episodes of a five-series show, seems a little arrogant and pretentious to me.

The review bombing is pathetic, because it's coming from people who in many cases haven't even seen it, they were determined from the beginning, before the first trailer even came out, that it would be a disaster. They're desperate to control the narrative and can't allow anything positive to be said about it, so now they're desperate to jump on any positive review or comment about the show, saying they're all 'paid shills' for Amazon. And so much of this hostility has nothing to do with what's actually in the show, it's coming from people who are obsessed with 'woke' and 'virtue signalling' and claiming that it's destroying Tolkien's legacy and going against everything he stood for. I'm not even sure some of them are actually very big Tolkien fans, they just see an opportunity to jump on another culture wars bandwagon. They claim to have a deep understanding of Tolkien and what he stood for, but I'm pretty certain he wouldn't have appreciated their ignorance, intolerance and hostility towards people who hold different views. They've become so obsessed with the details of the lore that they've completely forgotten the meaning of what he wrote. Their obsessive gatekeeping just completely sucks any enjoyment out of things like this.

The comparison to religious text is ridiculous in one way, but actually quite apt in another - many of the reactions display the same ignorance of reality, simplistic and dogmatic attitudes, insecurity and condemnation of those on the 'wrong' side that you'd expect from religious extremists. They refuse to acknowledge reality, can't acknowledge subtleties or contradictions, can't accept that the show's creators might have done some things well, they're just convinced that it's a desecration of a sacred work by evil people trying to corrupt our culture with wokeness.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2022, 10:33:46 am by Rob Dylan »

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: September 3, 2022, 10:03:05 am »
Pretty excited for this... the second age is the least-developed of the three, so the writers will have more room to introduce their own elements without stepping on the toes of the Tolkien scholars.

Have basically totally ignored this show until it came out so haven't read the whole thread before but this is a good take from page one  ;D

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #232 on: September 3, 2022, 10:14:36 am »

Delighted.  ;D

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: September 3, 2022, 11:06:39 am »
My partner and I watched the first episode last night and really enjoyed it, although the existence of black hobbits (and a black elf) obviously enraged us both. Great looking show though, really beautiful. Looking forward to seeing how it progresses. I read the Silmarillion years ago but can't really remember any of it so I'm not too bothered if they take liberties with the lore, as I'm sure they have done.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: September 3, 2022, 11:30:02 am »
If you can accept the existence of hobbits and elfs you can surely accept the existence of brown ones!

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: September 3, 2022, 11:40:24 am »
If you can accept the existence of hobbits and elfs you can surely accept the existence of brown ones!
Nope, definitely not. Where in any of the lore does it mention black hobbits/elves/whatever? It doesn't. It doesn't not mention them either, but it definitely doesn't mention them specifically. It's a woke disgrace. Health and safety gone mad. As a straight white male I've never felt more oppressed and/or discriminated against. I'm away to give it a scathing review on IMDB.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #236 on: September 3, 2022, 11:54:55 am »
Durin pleading to defund the police was a bit over the top and on the nose though.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: September 3, 2022, 11:55:45 am »
Nope, definitely not. Where in any of the lore does it mention black hobbits/elves/whatever? It doesn't. It doesn't not mention them either, but it definitely doesn't mention them specifically. It's a woke disgrace. Health and safety gone mad. As a straight white male I've never felt more oppressed and/or discriminated against. I'm away to give it a scathing review on IMDB.

;D

Don't forget Rotten Tomatoes!

I've seen people making the argument that Dwarves can't be black because they spend so much time underground so their skin pigmentation would be pale not dark. They're suddenly concerned with biology and scientific accuracy when it comes to that, but are happy to accept a world where people and animals and plants all developed and survived for thousands of years before the sun was even created.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: September 3, 2022, 12:01:17 pm »
;D
loving the diversity. I'd give it 9/10 for having the courage to give the hobbits Irish accents and being scruffy "travellers"....

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #239 on: September 3, 2022, 12:14:09 pm »
;D
loving the diversity. I'd give it 9/10 for having the courage to give the hobbits Irish accents and being scruffy "travellers"....

Whilst not hiring a single Irish actor. But they're the soundest bunch of the lot so far so they get a pass.  ;D