Author Topic: Happy Valley  (Read 21745 times)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Happy Valley
« on: May 27, 2014, 11:32:19 pm »
I'm surprised there isn't a thread on this. Superb television and brilliant performance from Sarah Lancashire. Tonight's episode was both touching and brutal.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline lfcshaunod

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
Re: Happy Valley
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 12:01:20 am »
Gonna watch it on catch up tomorrow. Was tonight's the final one?

I agree, it's been brilliant to watch. Sarah Lancashire is really good in it.

Saying that, I think every character is played well.
I'M NOT NED STARK'S BASTARD!!!

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 12:23:10 am »
Final episode next week.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 10:46:53 am »
Magnificent series. Lancashire must get an award for this surely. Acting is brilliant all round and makes you feel genuine tension.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 06:30:34 pm »
This has been filmed around my local area and I can tell you they have clearly done their homework with the local Police. The guy who poured petrol over himself because his bird dumped him to go with his mate. The story of someone climbing and falling out of a flat because some guys where threatening him at his door and a few other notable things are all based on real life. Not sure of the ethics involved when using these stories (albeit with subtle changes) but it adds to the reality of life around Happyfax.
As for the show itself its better than the usual "Period Drama" the BBC are famed for, Its top notch screenwriting and a top performance from Sarah Lancashire.
Also some good acting by Bob and Rita from the another local "Cult Classic"  "Rita Sue and Bob too" .
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 07:06:40 pm by yorkyrawky »

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 06:39:55 pm »
Had been going to watch all 6 episodes in one go but was bored last Sunday and watched the first 4 - bloody brilliant! Was really tense watching the end of last week's! Not seen last night's yet as I was out but will be watching it tonight as I can't wait any longer.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 06:56:56 pm »
Enjoying this too. Watched the first one reluctantly expecting Peak Practice type dreariness.

Loads of familiar faces I can't place. league of Gentlemen bloke obviously, and O'Brown from Downton but what has Nevison been in? And the policeman who called round last night? And Ashley's wife/girlfriend? Very frustrating!

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 07:10:32 pm »
Enjoying this too. Watched the first one reluctantly expecting Peak Practice type dreariness.

Loads of familiar faces I can't place. league of Gentlemen bloke obviously, and O'Brown from Downton but what has Nevison been in? And the policeman who called round last night? And Ashley's wife/girlfriend? Very frustrating!

This might help  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3428912/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 07:20:13 pm »
Also some good acting by Bob and Sue from the another local "Cult Classic"  "Rita Sue and Bob too" .

Classic movie.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 11:13:14 pm »
Superb - saw the writer talking about it before it aired - she basically was saying that although it was a cop drama - her main focus was the characters and she also wanted a drama based on a uniformed officer for a change,
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 11:47:35 am »
I'm surprised there isn't a thread on this. Superb television and brilliant performance from Sarah Lancashire. Tonight's episode was both touching and brutal.

I looked last week and was surprised. The fourth episode was the most genuinely gripping, tense and immersive hour of TV drama I've seen in many years. Brilliantly written, brilliantly acted.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Herby

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 01:04:54 pm »
Classic movie.

The scene when she takes here boyfriend of Pakistani descent home, and her drunk dad comes home, is one of the best scenes ever.

Offline lucas65

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 02:59:05 pm »
Definately the best thing on the telly at the moment. Gripping stuff and belting acting.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 05:52:17 pm »
yes a cracker. As this comes to a close I have high hopes for From There to Here, the new drama based on the IRA bombing of central Manchester. I had just left the place when this happened in real life, and it had affected the lives of friends and places I liked (record shops in the exchange for instance, and a friend who lived in a flat on the roof of the arndale, who had to move out). Spooked me really, as I had lost a second cousin in the Birmingham pub bombings of the early 70s. For a family of Irish descent, it was very difficult. My dad came over from west cork, worked in the same place for 17 years, and had got the sack the day after the bombing for being a paddy. When they found out his niece had died, they gave him the job back.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 03:05:02 am »
Watched two episodes last night with the girlfriend after she kept telling me to watch it and I'm hooked. Watched the other three today. It's a fantastic British TV series, one of the best I've seen in years lately.
Justice for the 97

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #15 on: June 2, 2014, 02:40:31 pm »
Given that I live in Halifax and know of all the locales - I was at first a little skeptical to start a new thread before it started thinking it might be a little twee like Last Tango in Halifax (something akin to a new take on Heartbeat).  Was i wrong!! This has been a brilliant piece of drama, it has not shied away from brutality (which you normally find in the "inner city" dramas) and the acting has been superb.   

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 3, 2014, 11:21:43 am »
Given that I live in Halifax and know of all the locales - I was at first a little skeptical to start a new thread before it started thinking it might be a little twee like Last Tango in Halifax (something akin to a new take on Heartbeat).  Was i wrong!! This has been a brilliant piece of drama, it has not shied away from brutality (which you normally find in the "inner city" dramas) and the acting has been superb.   

You know it was written by the same person as Last Tango. And actually that was a lot tougher than it seemed at first glance.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #17 on: June 3, 2014, 11:28:34 am »
Thanks for the recommendation Alan on the other thread. Watched the 5 episodes in the weekend and I thoroughly enjoyed them. Cannot wait for the last one. Superb series that has everything. Very good acting by the leading actress (not only her ), interesting characters that you give a damn and  the plot has evolved lovely. Brutality is a plus for me when is not used mindlessly and this has been the case.

Oh and I learned two new "words". Owt and summat.  :D
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #18 on: June 3, 2014, 01:27:48 pm »
You know it was written by the same person as Last Tango. And actually that was a lot tougher than it seemed at first glance.

Yep, i thought Last Tango was OK (probably down to the actors/writing) but it's not my kind of drama. T'other half loved it so i was usually posting shite on RAWK when it was on - I appreciated it but i wasn't overly fussed about seeing the next one.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: June 3, 2014, 10:05:31 pm »
Gutted this is over now! Great finale:

Spoiler
TLR was never going to get away with it really. Catherine was brilliant in the end there, what a performance.
[close]

Wonder if there'll be a second series? Certainly got legs for it with a potential trial.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: June 3, 2014, 10:18:41 pm »
At the end they advertised a DVD of "Series 1" so they must be considering another.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: June 4, 2014, 10:04:05 am »
Filmed less than 5 miles from where I live, using actors/actresses we all know, fantastic drama.

Going to watch the last episode tonight. Can't wait.

13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #22 on: June 4, 2014, 10:38:05 am »
I think there'll be a second series - possibly to do with the councilor she tried to arrest in episode 1 or 2.  A woman who works with the wife used to live in the house where they held the lass that was kidnapped - she's adamant that she did not leave it in the state that was shown in the programme.

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: June 4, 2014, 03:55:59 pm »
Quality performances all round and a truly gripping finale +1
However...
Would you let Ryan come home on his bike with Chesco ? Writer -1

« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 09:19:32 pm by yorkyrawky »

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: June 4, 2014, 04:03:42 pm »
Yeah exactly - it's a bit mental they let him come home at all by himself knowing TLR was still on the loose but that's the only negative I can think of for this series!

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: June 4, 2014, 04:05:34 pm »
When watching Last Tango I heard Derek Jacobi keep saying "Up Elland".... f*cking amateur  ;)

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: June 4, 2014, 08:25:39 pm »
Just watched finale.

Fuck me, what fantastic acting, Sarah Lancashire deserves an award, and Tommy played a brilliant part, best drama I've seen this year.

And I loved Shetland.

13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #27 on: June 5, 2014, 11:00:52 am »
Saw it last night. I don't think there should be any complaints about how it finished. Again, it was a brilliant episode with some excellent scenes like the
Spoiler
party scene when the son goes off. Was just too good.
[close]

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #28 on: June 5, 2014, 01:06:31 pm »
Great stuff, it really was.

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
« Reply #29 on: June 5, 2014, 08:39:34 pm »
I only saw the last 3 episodes but thought this was brilliant , great acting . Came across it by chance flicking through the telly .

Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.

Offline greyfade

• "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe....."
  • Legacy Fan
  • ★★★★★
« Reply #30 on: June 9, 2014, 01:17:59 pm »
Nothing on telly is fucking touching Happy Valley this year. Scintillating.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2014, 03:45:25 pm »
late to the party, but finished this last night.  absolutely superb stuff, and on a par with anything out of the USA this year, and that includes true detective etc.  funny, bleak and brutal, sometimes all at the same time.  lancashire and pemberton deserve every award going.

i agree about the one flaw being right at the end with the out-of-characterness of that decision on catherine's part, but it's not a big enough point to ruin what is otherwise a stunning piece of television.

oh, and the theme music was awful, completely wrong choice for the show, but i can forgive that too.

all that said, i really hope there isn't a second series.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2014, 03:54:47 pm »

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2014, 04:30:24 pm »

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2014, 04:57:17 pm »

all that said, i really hope there isn't a second series.

You shit!

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2014, 10:14:56 am »
Get in. Very good news.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2014, 11:30:04 pm »
well, i'll only have high hopes considering the quality of the first series, but i can't help but feel that the story has been told as well as it could be, and the characters explored pretty thoroughly already.  this does stink a bit of the BBC trying to needlessly overstretch a show that has been both a ratings and a critical success (and who can blame them really, as there aren't all too many of those anymore).

we shall see.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #37 on: September 3, 2015, 10:30:24 am »
You'll be pleased to know they're filming Series 2 around these parts. 

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #38 on: September 4, 2015, 08:30:23 am »
Nice. Looking forward to it.

Offline Jonny-LFC

• Kopite
  • Yorkshire Red
« Reply #39 on: September 4, 2015, 01:05:01 pm »
You'll be pleased to know they're filming Series 2 around these parts. 

Looked in my mates house down Sowerby as a potential spot for filming where one of the coppers lives, but he didn't quite make it. He was gutted!
@JonnYNWA