Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 504003 times)

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #12960 on: Today at 09:06:41 am »
What gives me a lot of confidence going forward isn't just Slot alone but Slot together with a world-class recruitment team that we have.

If the nerds just keep on bringing in boss players like they did the last decade we'll be fine (when you bring the folks like Balotelli, Markovic, Borini etc. is how you get into trouble)- I think Slot would be more than good enough to coach them up and just push us into conversations - like this season - that's all I can ask as a fan. The ball is round, everything is possible so let's get into the mix and see what happens.

I think whoever the new manager was they'd be blown away with all the pieces they'd have available to build a new monster team - Bradley, Quansah, Bajcetic, Danns with Trent, Macca, Harvey, Cody...the potential is absolutely humungous.

Online Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #12961 on: Today at 09:16:19 am »
Whoever we got was going to be a gamble, Alonso included. We've had years of stability, a world class manager who built a world class team so there's always going to be a challenge to keep that going, just look at United and Arsenal for a clear example.

One thing is for sure, he won't succeed unless everyone unites behind him. So let's do that and see where it takes us!
It really is a unique situation. Generally a new manager comes in with the club in some sort of trouble with a vast amount of work required to get them competitive.

Despite thet collapse of the last month, we are already competitive, and maybe only 1-2 players from competing again. Yes, we may have to deal with a few senior players leaving but that's the same every year.

Does that mean we'll be winning next season? Who knows, there are going to be bumps whilst Slot gets to grips with the league but barring disaster we should still have a good season. Something like 17-18 would be good.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #12962 on: Today at 09:25:33 am »
Get the fuck in. Welcome Arne!

Love me a bit of Pixies. Here comes your man!

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #12963 on: Today at 09:30:07 am »
For those who know little about the new man, this is a great place to start. Adam Crafton spent some time with him last season and has some really interesting views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcSz3-tvEEI&pp=ygUddGhlIGF0aGxldGljIGZvb3RiYWxsIHBvZGNhc3Q%3D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #12964 on: Today at 09:31:26 am »
Love me a bit of Pixies. Here comes your man!

Going to be gigantic for us.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #12965 on: Today at 09:32:37 am »
Klopp - Walter White
Slot - Hank Schrader

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #12966 on: Today at 09:51:31 am »
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #12968 on: Today at 10:07:34 am »
What's the alternative? That we're still playing exactly the same way in 2040 because we can't possibly disturb the precious under-11s?

I am still waiting for someone on here more knowledgeable than me to reply this message. Its a fair point mind. Are we always going to play the same because we had Klopp?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #12969 on: Today at 10:07:40 am »
Just waiting for all the Arnie headlines.

'I'll be Back!', 'Hasta la vista, baby'. 'Fuck the Tories'

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #12970 on: Today at 10:09:09 am »
I am still waiting for someone on here more knowledgeable than me to reply this message. Its a fair point mind. Are we always going to play the same because we had Klopp?

We are going to play in the style of Smooth Jazz laced with 1950s bread adverts and a snippet of Father Ted while keeping a milk float above 4 miles an hour.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12971 on: Today at 10:09:57 am »
Looks like we’ve replaced Ljinders, Krawietz and Kornmayer so far from key positions.

Online LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #12972 on: Today at 10:12:14 am »
We are going to play in the style of Smooth Jazz laced with 1950s bread adverts and a snippet of Father Ted while keeping a milk float above 4 miles an hour.

I can live with that.  ;D

Online DiggerJohn

• Kopite
  • Up the Scouser Republic
« Reply #12973 on: Today at 10:15:30 am »
For those who know little about the new man, this is a great place to start. Adam Crafton spent some time with him last season and has some really interesting views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcSz3-tvEEI&pp=ygUddGhlIGF0aGxldGljIGZvb3RiYWxsIHBvZGNhc3Q%3D

So Arnie loves wingers I will have some of that, I love my wingers fast tricky and cocky

Offline muszka

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12974 on: Today at 10:17:05 am »
What gives me a lot of confidence going forward isn't just Slot alone but Slot together with a world-class recruitment team that we have.

Probably why we passed Amorim who wanted more control over transfers. I guess Edwards was quite plain and told Slot that we provide players to you and your job is to do as best as you can with them and Slot was more than happy about it. He is an exciting new manager on the rise so it's not like he's gonna be unhappy that the club is gonna provide him with one of the best squads in the world to do as he pleases.

Just look at Ten Hag and Anthony transfer - utter disaster that's gonna hurt them for years and you do not want to give that much control to managers unproven on the biggest stage.

Edwards clashed with Klopp over contract extensions and he was right. Rewarding Henderson with 4 year contract when he was clearly declining was a terrible decision. Imagine Gerrard didn't bail us and Henderson would still have 1 year left with Hendo on a huge wage, we couldn't improve the midfield because of that for another year.
« Last Edit: Today at 10:18:50 am by muszka »

Online Enders

• Game. Has a thing for Edward Colanderhands
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez! Allez! Allez!
« Reply #12975 on: Today at 10:24:59 am »
The Red Slot Machine
“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”

Online Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #12976 on: Today at 10:33:36 am »
Main thing for me is that he’s backing himself and promoting himself to be manager. That shows he has a confidence in his ability and a strength that is an absolute necessity to follow Jurgen.

Also for those expressing concerns here, this guy is not another fucking Roy Hodgson. He’s coming into a club that is not in crisis, is (despite Al’s protestations to the contrary) very well run and inherits the vast majority of a squad that will produce for the next decade. He has some of the most sought after analysts and eminent player scouts around that looks from everyone’s account to be a perfect match to his philosophy and vision.

No one can predict how this will turn out, but then again, that would be the case if Jurgen stayed. What is patently evident is that the club has acted quickly and efficiently (again) in securing what they (and a lot of others) think is the right solution to move us forward.

Stop making comparisons to Seven Hag and others like that as they’re absolutely nothing to do with Liverpool football club and their lack of success elsewhere has no bearing whatsoever as to how successful or not they will be here as we are different to the others. What I’m saying is that take him on his merits and stop making comparisons to others. It’s totally disingenuous - that’s the domain of the common gutter press and people who want us to fail.

What I find annoying is that he’s already failed in some people’s eyes and he’s not even here yet. Everyone’s saying that we’ll do well to finish 4th next season already. Fuck off with that view. The negativity here is utterly appalling. Of course I’m gutted Jurgen is leaving but it had to happen soon. What worries me is that despite all of us saying pretty much the same, when the likes of Virg and Mo also go (as inevitably they will) then it’ll be used as a stick to beat him with. It’s going to happen no matter what ladies and gents. God forbid if Trent doesn’t sign another deal as he’ll be royally fucked.

The more I read of Arne, the more I like. When his name came up I asked a bunch of guys I work with in the Netherlands who talk highly of him (not Feyenoord fans either) as for those who decry the Eredivise, it’s produced some of the best club players on the planet and there is not one side there that is not a selling club, so to say that the standard is not that high is lazy at best as all the better players that come through these sides academies and the ones that they bring in cheaply and develop all go elsewhere so it’s no surprise that the league looks weak. It’s a bit like the England rugby situation with players going to France now. The domestic game is struggling, but the one thing that is massively different is that where the Dutch players go abroad, the national team actually benefits and is getting back (not here yet though) to being one of the top footballing countries again, whereas the England rugby team struggled because of the pathetic selection rule.

Theres a lot of potential in this appointment - and as I’ve said all along, the back room staff will have a massive say as well. Thats my only reservation in the appointment as that’s an even bigger unknown that appointing Slot himself. I’d like to see a Milner or other familiar face brought in to help out and be part of it, but only if they bring value of course. We wait to see

This is one appointment that I can get behind. It’s new, it’s fresh and it brings the chance to evolve what we do and change things up. We’ve needed that. Change is always fraught with concern, but change is inevitable so we get on with it in all forms of life. This is no exception but change we are. Bring it on.

Let’s celebrate what Jurgen has done for us properly now. The weight is lifted and now we can rightly revel in what that man had done for us. Slot seems to be done, so let’s concentrate on making the last four games a memorable send off for one of our greatest ever managers.
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #12977 on: Today at 10:43:43 am »
Song anyone?

This isn't Rotterdam or anywhere it's Liverpool not Rome, but everywhere that Arne goes he doesn't need a comb. Doesn't need a comb.

Online FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #12978 on: Today at 10:46:44 am »
Hopefully he does well, don’t get why people would be excited, think he’s more a ‘wait and see how he does’ appointment. Particularly with the changes to the team that will be happening. The last of our great title winning team will be bowing out over the next two years in Mo, Virgil and Robertson. Trent, if he stays, will be the only outfield regular from that period. Will be a period of massive change so maybe unfair to expect Slot to have us challenging.

Because people like to be optimistic about their clubs chances. What else is the point of supporting a club?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #12979 on: Today at 10:47:41 am »
Surely we can give Slot his own new thread now?

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #12980 on: Today at 10:49:39 am »
Surely we can give Slot his own new thread now?
Slot one in then
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Online Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #12981 on: Today at 11:08:45 am »
Song anyone?

This isn't Rotterdam or anywhere it's Liverpool not Rome, but everywhere that Arne goes he doesn't need a comb. Doesn't need a comb.
:lmao :lmao :lmao

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #12983 on: Today at 11:10:48 am »
Has anyone noticed yet that his name - slot - is the same word that’s used to describe putting something inside of something?

Online Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #12984 on: Today at 11:13:40 am »
Has anyone noticed yet that his name - slot - is the same word that’s used to describe putting something inside of something?

And that you can rearrange the letters in his name to spell out Earn Lots.

Online Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #12985 on: Today at 11:18:17 am »
You Lost me with that one

Online danm77

• Main Stander
« Reply #12986 on: Today at 11:18:32 am »
I think the squad isn't as good as Klopp said it was on his announcement and I'm worried about the extent to which he had some of our players over-performing. Lots of questions around the level of players our more recent additions in Diaz, Nunez, Gravenberch, Szoboszlai they certainly have potential but I'm not super confident about their ability to fulfill it. Then there are more questions about established players and what level we can expect from them going forward. A lot of them are well off their best. Trent in particular seems to be an issue regarding his role. His return to the side seems to have impacted Macallister's ability to dictate the game. Robertson hasn't had his best season. Salah has been dreadful since AFCON. Even the players I am pretty confident in like Jota, Konate and Alisson seem to have injury problems. Virgil has had a pretty good season, but we still seem to be awful at keeping clean sheets.

There's honestly not any managerial talent around that's on Klopp's level. So I can understand the muted response of some. It's hard to be excited when you're losing a manager who put together one of, if not the greatest Liverpool side you've ever seen. But you have to give the new manager a chance or you may as well give up on football. Can't see a title challenge again next season, but will be disappointed if we don't make the CL.

It will be interesting at least to evaluate FSG's 'model' without Klopp. I can't say I've got much faith in it. Even with Klopp it seemed to offer zero margin for error. But at least we'll finally know the truth and end the debates on here lol.

The squad is generally in a good place, we are 3rd in the table after all, having been in a title race until now. However, it does still need some work. We need a proper, specialist DM, we have a decision to make over a couple of our forwards. Sell Salah now? Is Darwin the man for the long term? We also need another defender. Konate is injury prone, Quansah is still young and Matip is leaving. Also, what do we do about Trent? He is incredible on the ball but I really question him at RB.

Online ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #12987 on: Today at 11:36:30 am »
What's the alternative? That we're still playing exactly the same way in 2040 because we can't possibly disturb the precious under-11s?

Already adressed mate.
This isnt about Arne or Klopp anymore.
The club needs to have its own identity.

Well yes to put it crudely.

Changing the formation from U9s to first team requires a mammoth phase shift in our understanding of the systems. Players, coaches etc. will have to be "rehired" or "reeducated" and will need time and effort to change their roles and some may work out and some may be moved on. Its a huge effort to change the system. You already know that.

With 1 system in place, we will not be a "jack of all trades" club. We will be focussing all our efforts, energy and education in one particular system. We will be perfecting the system at every opportunity we get. So any coach that comes, 30 years from now, will have a blue print to work with and optimise it the way he deems fit. It will be a switch between possession or counter attacking or Kloppo or whatever brand of football. But the basic skeleton will be the same. Players will be mastering one particular playing style, will be played in one (or two or three) positions and will be reliable when called to the first team.

This is not about what fits our club in the present. But what our club will stand to represent in 30-40 years from now. And beyond that actually.

We will have our own La Masia. Or Campus Bayern from where we will be churning out our local lads for the first team.

Online ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #12988 on: Today at 11:42:11 am »
One point that I forgot to mention was ...

Ok today Amorim plays 343 we want our entire structure to change from 4231 to 343. Fair enough. If we got him that is.
In 10 years, there will be another coach from Spanish league who is tearing everyone a new asshole with a 2-4-4 formation. If he becomes our coach, that would mean another revamp of our entire structure. Once again.
So with every coach, comes a need to rebuild and start (once again and frustratingly) from point zero.

It should stop sometime.

Part of our inconsistency, in the last 50-60 years has been the lack of a playing identity. We got some of the best coaches. But as a club, we didnt have a distinct playing style the way Barca or Bayern or Milan or Ajax have. They have the playing style inscribed in their club charter and any coach that wants in, should fit the mould. I dont think thats unreasonable given what we have achieved and what we are capable of achieving.
« Last Edit: Today at 11:43:53 am by ChaChaMooMoo »

Online vanoord

• Kopite
« Reply #12989 on: Today at 11:49:26 am »
Song anyone?

Oh, Arne Slot, I wanna know-o-o-o-o-o what you've got?

Okay, it needs more work...
But ye gotta know where ye're just gonna rush in. Ye cannae just rush in anywhere. It looks bad, havin' to rush oout again straight awa'..