Author Topic: General Election December 12th  (Read 147077 times)

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
General Election December 12th
« on: October 2, 2019, 12:13:10 pm »
For discussion of the upcoming election, this is not for the purpose of giving zealots a singular platform to abuse other members. Play nice or get fucked!
« Last Edit: November 5, 2019, 03:25:41 pm by Titi Camara »

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: General Election December 12th
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 01:25:44 pm »
The bookies have a Tory majority at evens and a labour majority at 18/1, what exactly are you so excited about?
Brexit (n) - "The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed."

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 01:46:38 pm »
Just seen that video. It says the fox hunting ban...gone!

Im not sure this is either correct or desirable.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 01:48:39 pm »
Just seen that video. It says the fox hunting ban...gone!

Im not sure this is either correct or desirable.

Yep.  Must be a typo I think.  Start as we mean to go on I guess  ;).

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 02:51:26 pm »
PV?

Whats that?

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 02:51:59 pm »
The bookies have a Tory majority at evens and a labour majority at 18/1, what exactly are you so excited about?

They didn't think Brexit would happen or Trump would be President.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 02:53:52 pm »
Believer

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 02:55:55 pm »
People's Vote

Agree with you.

The worry is the public voting though - people will vote for the Tories as Corbyn is painted as a villain by the shit press.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 03:03:48 pm »
Agree with you.

The worry is the public voting though - people will vote for the Tories as Corbyn is painted as a villain by the shit press.

As true as it ever was

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 03:03:51 pm »
They didn't think Brexit would happen or Trump would be President.

This is quite a common misinterpretation of what bookies odds mean. All they are doing is offering percentages on the likelyhood of outcomes. So they think theres about a 5% chance of a labour majority and about a 50% chance of a tory majority and 50% chance of a hung parliment. (The percentages normally add up to around 107% with the 7% their profit.)

They then translate these into odds with best price on Labour about 20/1. This gives people who think Labours odds are better than that to place a bet and to translate their superior knowledge or instinct in this matter into winnings.

However if a lot of money gets placed on Labour then the odds will shorten and the odds on a Tory visit will lengthen. However they will always have that 7% profit margin as thats there business.

They dont "think" that the Tories will win and they dont "think" that Labour will win either, they only think one outcome is more likely than the other. However they are very flexible and will change odds based on all sorts of factors including the volume of cash placed by people like yourself on the outcome.

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 03:16:18 pm »
Agree with you.

Are there really loads of voters who would have voted for [insert less leftwing labour leader]  but would vote for Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson rather than Corbyn?

Surely the "typically votes labour but doesn't like Corbyn" voter is going to vote as follows

Pessimist:  tactically votes labour because it the tories are going to win and corbyn will resign. all that matters is keeping the tory majority down.
Centrist/ardent Remainer: votes Libdem
Purist Left: votes Green
Idiot: votes Brexit

« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 03:18:09 pm by Fortneef »

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 03:37:20 pm »
Do you understand the point he was making.  I think there's a mistake in the clip.

People do not want the fox hunting ban gone, and it hasn't happened either.

The Dementia Tax wasn't "blocked" either, it was pulled by May when she saw how unpopular it was with the public.

Its quite sad, he's unable to partake in any sort of discussion or exchange of views.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 03:43:17 pm »
That makes literally no sense whatsoever. I don't beleive in bookies odds, are bookies odds something you can even beleive in?  ???

The bookies do however usually base there odds on research, figures, statistics and facts, so again what I'm asking is, why are you so excited by an election where the most likely outcome other than what we already have is much much worse?

I beleive Liverpool can acheive borderline miracles because I've seen us do it. What evidence is there that Corbyn can win a GE?
Fact: He’s lost every election he’s contested as leader
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2019, 04:28:40 pm »
I'm going to make a prediction that Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson will lose his seat
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2019, 04:48:58 pm »
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2019, 04:51:20 pm »
Are there really loads of voters who would have voted for [insert less leftwing labour leader]  but would vote for Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson rather than Corbyn?

Surely the "typically votes labour but doesn't like Corbyn" voter is going to vote as follows

Pessimist:  tactically votes labour because it the tories are going to win and corbyn will resign. all that matters is keeping the tory majority down.
Centrist/ardent Remainer: votes Libdem
Purist Left: votes Green
Idiot: votes Brexit

There is a slice of the electorate that regularly switches straight between Tories and Labour. They're (probably) middle England, 'natural' demographically Labour voters who will vote for something positive and optimistic (1997-2007 Blair), but in times of uncertainty (2010) or Labour 'extremism' and/or tabloid hysteria (1983, 2015, 2017) vote Tory.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2019, 04:56:33 pm »
PV?

Whats that?

Per vaginam. Latin referring to anything going into, or coming out of a vagina.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2019, 05:06:10 pm »
If anything it would be more likely to stop older voters getting out so possibly no bad thing.

What a classless comment  ::)

and totally wrong many older voters like myself are organised and have a postal ballot in place for the household,  otherwise labour might not get the very many senior votes heading their way :wave
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Online Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2019, 05:08:25 pm »
What a classless comment  ::)

and totally wrong many older voters like myself are organised and have a postal ballot in place for the household,  otherwise labour might not get the very many senior votes heading their way :wave
yes my Mam has had a postal vote for years now so it won't effect her, and many of her friends do the same so I agree, I'm not sure turnout amongst the older generation will be adversely effected by a winter election

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2019, 05:13:50 pm »
So the most probable course of events is that Johnson continues as PM with an increased majority, pulls the trigger on brexit, and agrees a trade deal with the US to make up the economic vacuum left in which the NHS is up for grabs. Horrific, just horrific.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Online Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2019, 05:24:24 pm »
So the most probable course of events is that Johnson continues as PM with an increased majority, pulls the trigger on brexit, and agrees a trade deal with the US to make up the economic vacuum left in which the NHS is up for grabs. Horrific, just horrific.
I think the most likely occurrence is an even more hung parliament. The results will be all over the shop. Lib Dems will do well in some areas, Tories will lose seats. I don't think there'll be that many that change hands between Tories and Labour aside some with wafer thin majorities.

I think we'll end up with yet another election in the Spring

Offline RobinHood

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2019, 06:21:39 pm »
I wish I shared your optimism that the NHS is going to be the key battleground, unfortunately it’s going to be about one thing and one thing only, Brexit.

To me the Labour policy could not come at a worse time, one thing the politicians are right about is that ‘Brexit Fatigue’ is real, and I don’t believe there’s any appetite at all for another renegotiation. Whilst there are other things Labour are going to get tripped up on, I fear that this one could be the worst.

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2019, 07:02:47 pm »
My understanding is that the Scottish NHS is probably the best (or least worst) performance wise,

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2019, 08:46:19 pm »
Leaving this here and then I’m off.

Vote for your party, vote tactically, but please make sure the Tories go. I was born in the dying days of Thatcher, my adult years have been blighted by austerity, I want better for my kids.

A children’s book about food banks is a grim sign of our failure as a society
Aditya Chakrabortty

I have just read a beautiful book about something truly obscene. Full of lovely pictures and occasional bits of text, it’s the kind you might read with your four-year-old. It shows a little girl and her mum as they visit a food bank.

It’s a No-Money Day is narrated by the daughter who sees how her mother worries over every penny, while shielding her from the painful stuff. “There’s no more cereal, so I have the last piece of toast. Luckily Mum isn’t hungry,” the girl says; and you know the biggest thing Mum will have for breakfast is her own little white lie. When they reach the food bank, the child tucks into biscuits and squash while her mother sags like a balloon from which the air has escaped.

Only just published, it is believed to be the UK’s first picture book about food banks. And, while the subject has been handled compassionately by the prize-winning author Kate Milner, I can’t help but see that landmark as a disgrace – for all of us. It is the watershed moment when Britain’s food banks go from newspaper headlines to a subject that teachers cover in classrooms; the moment at which mass destitution is no longer a badge of political failure but is instead accepted as part of British life.

As recently as 10 years ago, child poverty was an evil that prime ministers Tony Blair and Gordon Brown both vowed to abolish; now it is something you shamefacedly explain to your child as he or she nestles in your lap.

Picture books used to be small worlds where kids could dream about farmyard animals and cuddly monsters; today they teach about the vast number of people that their parents’ generation treat like dirt. In 2016 David Cameron casually dropped the legally binding targets to reduce child poverty – and those figures jumped. More than 4 million children live in poverty in the UK today – or nine kids in every classroom of 30. At the start of this decade, the Trussell Trust ran just 57 food banks, giving 14,000 food parcels a year to children. It operated 428 food banks last year, handing nearly 580,000 parcels to children. This is a charity that sees itself as temporary. Our failure as a society is making it permanent.

In one of the richest societies in human history, such figures should mortify us, yet the Westminster classes take them as unremarkable. They hardly ever trouble TV bulletins or newspaper columns, while Conservative cabinet ministers such as Fuckwitted Pob lookalike Fuckwitted Pob lookalike Michael Gove sneer at the impoverished for not being able to “manage their finances”.

As the UK staggers into a rage-filled general election, well-lunched gasbags will solemnly inform us that this is an election about “getting Brexit done” – while ignoring the cuts, the broken economy and the other causes that helped to drive the Brexit vote of 2016. Dealing with those causes would entail being winched out of the deep embrace of the TV studio sofas, tearing out the IV drip that feeds them the untreated bullshit of No 10 “sources”, and seeing more of the country than could ever be conveyed in a fleeting vox pop.

If the experts did that, they would confront a society where levels of deprivation once considered shameful are now treated as normal; where what was scratched together just a few months ago is now relied on as part of the new, ad hoc welfare state.

This week I went to Colchester, in Essex, to see something both brilliant and saddening: a Munch Club. In a small scout hut on the postwar Monkwick housing estate, 45 children and their parents were getting a free lunch to ease the expense of half-term holidays. Tiny kids were burrowing into mountains of chicken nuggets and chips before collecting chocolate cake in custard. There’ll be Munch Clubs across the town this week, run by volunteers and depending on donations. They’re the idea of Maureen Powell, a local pensioner with a sharp blond bob and a smoker’s laugh. She started here just a year ago, and by Christmas plans to run no fewer than six Munch Clubs. People keep asking her to lay on more, and she thinks she knows the number-one reason why.

“Universal credit!” she shouts, putting the blame squarely on the policy spawned by that MP down the road in Chingford, Iain Duncan Smith. “You have to wait five weeks for any money to turn up; and they mess you about. They [the government] give you a [starting] loan, which they take out of your benefits. It’s just debt upon debt upon debt.”

To keep the clubs going, Powell often raids her state pension while her small home is crammed with four freezers and three fridges to store supplies. As indicated by the crutch with which she hobbles, she has her own issues – arthritis, asthma and secondary multiple sclerosis. Let me speak plainly: Powell is a hero, yet nothing about this system feels like an adequate replacement for a proper welfare state. Except that’s not something the UK can say it really has any more – not when the state prefers literally to melt 50p pieces of hubris rather than keep citizens from starving.

At one table sit Gary and Rebecca, surrounded by their five kids. She raises the children, while he stacks shelves at a supermarket. When his wages hit their bank account, the money is all gone on bills by that same afternoon. Their universal credit top-up is just not enough.

If they weren’t at the Munch Club, “neither Gary nor me would eat anything till dinner, so as to leave more for the kids”, says Rebecca. How do they cope with the hunger? “You get used to it,” she shrugs.

Their children get neither sweets nor treats, and their parents can’t afford to take them to Colchester zoo or the fireworks. I think about the classroom tradition of talking about what you did in your holidays and wonder what these kids say. I wonder how tough things get at home, and how much they overhear.

Not far away is Bevan Close, a reminder of the Labour minister who built this estate. Nye Bevan wanted communities founded on fairness, where “the doctor, the grocer, the butcher and the farm labourer all live in the same street”. What has replaced his vision? When Cameron entered No 10, Colchester borough council received £11m a year from Whitehall. It’s a sum that has dropped and dropped: this year it is £275,000; next year, precisely zero. Common lawns on the estate used to get cut every month; now it’s only three times a year. Police officers used to patrol on foot; now, says councillor Dave Harris, “the only time a cop car turns up is when there’s really bad news”. The large NHS clinic, where parents took newborns to be weighed, is now shuttered up.

We could talk about austerity or tough choices, but something far more profound has happened here – a poor area a couple of hours from Westminster has been systematically stripped of some of the rudiments of civilised life. This is the new normal for swaths of Britain: where a man can be declared fit for work shortly before dying; where headteachers have to beg parents for toilet roll; where children must rely on a sick pensioner to keep them fed out of term time.

That’s what this election is really about: not Brexit, not Boris v Jezza, but how we define a civilised society.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/30/food-banks-childrens-books-britain-hungry-election

Online Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2019, 09:46:08 pm »
Time to make a sub and bring on Divock as leader of the Labour Party and guarantee a last minute win!
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2019, 10:12:51 pm »
Ann Coffey standing down, another brave fighter for Labour values gone.
Nicky Morgan also standing down,will be replaced by another Boris clone I imagine.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 10:14:56 pm by oldfordie »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2019, 10:26:07 pm »
I'm going to make a prediction that Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson will lose his seat
There seems to be some murmuring that he's going to move to the seat vacated by Alan Duncan retiring (Melton and Rutland).  Duncan took 62.8% of the vote in 2017 making it one of the safest Tory seats in the country.

It would be an act of extreme cowardice by Johnson but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it happens.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2019, 10:49:23 pm »
There seems to be some murmuring that he's going to move to the seat vacated by Alan Duncan retiring (Melton and Rutland).  Duncan took 62.8% of the vote in 2017 making it one of the safest Tory seats in the country.

It would be an act of extreme cowardice by Johnson but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it happens.

Why would he be looking for a seat when he's due to die in a ditch tomorrow? ;)

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2019, 11:40:33 pm »
Westminster voting intention:

CON: 34% (+2)
LAB: 26% (+2)
LDEM: 19% (-2)
BREX: 12% (-1)
GRN: 1% (-1)

via @Survation 29 - 30 Oct
Chgs. w/ 18 Oct

Online filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2019, 12:09:25 am »
I think anyone would be foolish to say they know what is going to happen in this election with any degree of certainty.

Tories will certainly be delighted with where they are starting from and ultimately are better placed to consolidate the Leave voters than Labour are to consolidate Remain ones, but elections will never be single issue affair no matter how much some parties may wish they are.

On top of the usual election campaign uncertainties, this time around we still have the EHRC investigating for antisemitism, Johnson's relationship with Arcuri still stinking of corruption as much as it has done since it came to light, a December election leading to the increased possibility of weather affecting turnout, and we could have yet another NHS winter crisis starting by the time polling day comes around. All of that is before you get around to the near impossibility of mapping 4 and 5 party politics and how effective tactical voting will be and how the BXP intends to act.

The only predicition i feel comfortable making is that this will probably the nastiest election campaign I have ever seen.

Online Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2019, 01:11:38 am »
I think the most likely occurrence is an even more hung parliament. The results will be all over the shop. Lib Dems will do well in some areas, Tories will lose seats. I don't think there'll be that many that change hands between Tories and Labour aside some with wafer thin majorities.

I think we'll end up with yet another election in the Spring

Best case scenario is probably a hung parliament at this point, there's no chance of labour winning a majority and things could end up far worse than that if Boris does some deal with Frottage to ensure the brexit party doesn't contest the more marginal tory seats.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2019, 07:33:14 am »
Jewish group removes campaigning support for Labour in election

JLM says party’s handling of antisemitism cases means only ‘exceptional candidates’ will be backed

The Jewish Labour Movement (JLM) has withdrawn campaigning support for Labour in the upcoming general election in protest at its handling of antisemitism cases.

As one of the oldest socialist societies affiliated to Labour, the group regularly sent out activists to support candidates across the country before voters went to the polls.

However, for what is believed to be the first time in its 100-year history, it will not organise members to head out to constituencies and instead only support “exceptional candidates”, such as its parliamentary chair, Ruth Smeeth, and other MPs it views as having been supportive.

A statement released by the organisation said: “We will not be campaigning unless in exceptional circumstances and for exceptional candidates, like our parliamentary chair Ruth Smeeth, and members of the parliamentary Labour party who’ve been unwavering in their support of us. We will not be giving endorsements to candidates in non-Labour-held seats.”

JLM credits its campaigning work as securing Labour wins in Bury South in 2017 and 2015, Leeds North West in 2017, holding Hampstead and Kilburn in 2015 and winning Hornsey back in 2015 from the Liberal Democrat minister Lynne Featherstone.

The organisation, which has 2,500 members, blames the Labour leader, Jeremy Corbyn, for allowing a “culture of antisemitism to emerge and fester” within the party.

t said the effective strike does not mean the group no longer supports Labour’s policies and historic values, or that they want to see Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson or the Liberal Democrat leader, Jo Swinson, as prime minister.

“The Jewish Labour Movement has a long and proud history of activism in the Labour party and the wider Labour movement and 2020 marks our 100th anniversary of affiliation to the Labour party,” it said.

“This crisis of antisemitism in the Labour party stems from a failure of leadership from Jeremy Corbyn. When the answer has been to take swift, decisive action, the reality has been equivocation and token gestures.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/31/jewish-group-removes-campaigning-support-for-labour-in-election
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 07:35:01 am by Red-Soldier »

Offline dirks digglers

• Kopite
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2019, 07:51:33 am »
I think anyone would be foolish to say they know what is going to happen in this election with any degree of certainty.

Tories will certainly be delighted with where they are starting from and ultimately are better placed to consolidate the Leave voters than Labour are to consolidate Remain ones, but elections will never be single issue affair no matter how much some parties may wish they are.

On top of the usual election campaign uncertainties, this time around we still have the EHRC investigating for antisemitism, Johnson's relationship with Arcuri still stinking of corruption as much as it has done since it came to light, a December election leading to the increased possibility of weather affecting turnout, and we could have yet another NHS winter crisis starting by the time polling day comes around. All of that is before you get around to the near impossibility of mapping 4 and 5 party politics and how effective tactical voting will be and how the BXP intends to act.

The only predicition i feel comfortable making is that this will probably the nastiest election campaign I have ever seen.

Agreed, it’s an unusual scenario. I wonder though, are most people are sick of the nasty stuff, maybe such an approach may backfire? Unless we’ve already gone so far down the hate hole that we won’t see daylight again for a generation.

If the best case scenario is that enough people vote tactically to stop a Tory majority (and let’s face it, this will require people to do this for themselves as there’s no way Labour will stand down a single candidate tactically, on past evidence), even then the chances of Labour and the Lib Dem’s and SNP agreeing on a way forward seems unlikely. And that’s the best case scenario. No way Labour under Corbyn win a majority. And if Labour can’t win a majority when the choice is an existential threat to any remaining vestiges of social care, services, workers rights, etc, then what’s the point? They couldn’t wish for a better opportunity.
If you can’t understand it without an explanation, you can’t understand it with an explanation.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2019, 08:57:52 am »
Makes me laugh the crocodile tears from some of these one nation Tories who are scarpering. They are the ones that have caused this whole mess, from implementing harsh austerity measures, their stupid immigration targets and their rather blasé attitude to arranging, campaigning on and pushing for a Brexit referendum in the first place, without any foresight as to how toxic and divisive such a vote was always going to be.

They will be replaced by more dumb ass Tories, but them going on TV and social media to moan about abuse and the general toxic climate can fuck off.

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2019, 10:28:22 am »
Expecting more of the same, unfortunately.

Brexit bearpit leaves no room for decent MPs
Jenni Russell
October 31 2019, The Times

Not since the referendum have I been so distressed by British politics. The list of politicians quitting either the Commons or their parties at this election, driven out by relentless abuse, vicious partisan faction-fighting, or because the mainstream parties have become so extreme that they will not tolerate the principled moderates who used to have a home in them, includes many of the most talented and honourable people in the House. Our politics no longer has a place for them. That should scare all of us.
. . .

rest of article
. . .
The merciless hostility routinely directed at MPs has become too much for some to bear. Heidi Allen, the former Conservative MP turned Lib Dem, yesterday quit politics, exhausted by the “nastiness and intimidation that has become commonplace”. It is a 24-hour-a-day barrage of intimidation on Twitter, text, email and Facebook. It cannot be escaped.

Nobody, says Allen, should have to put up with threats, aggression, being shouted at in the street, sworn at on social media or living with panic buttons. This is not public scrutiny. It is dehumanisation for doing a job.

Allen was frank about the psychological cost of being targeted. Most MPs dare not admit it for fear of being trolled even more. Yet this level of hatred was never part of MPs’ job description in the past. It’s a phenomenon that has exploded since the referendum campaign.

In May the commissioner of the Metropolitan Police told a Commons committee that threats to MPs were running at “unprecedented” levels, soaring in a year; 152 offences had been reported to police in the first four months of 2019, a 90 per cent rise on spring 2018. These threats are not equally distributed. Female and ethnic-minority MPs are particular targets. In 2017, a Radio 5 Live survey found a third of female MPs had considered quitting as a result.

It is hard for most of us to grasp what this means. It is feeling continuously under siege, scared both for oneself and one’s family. MPs can be targeted for offending their party’s core or its opponents. Margaret Hodge, the Labour MP who enraged Corbyn supporters by criticising his failures on antisemitism, is one of many who has had to follow police advice to install bulletproof, fireproof letterboxes, a heavy-duty front door, reinforced back doors and panic buttons after death threats.

Anna Soubry, the former Tory MP, had such a serious anonymous threat that the sender is on remand in jail, awaiting trial. Her family have been menaced. Her 84-year-old mother, who lives on her own and keeps a dog ball and bowl on her lawn, was sent a letter threatening her pets. The old lady was terribly shaken. Soubry’s partner received an RIP card. It offered sympathy for the MP’s death, adding: “We’re coming for you.”

This toxic atmosphere has been fanned by party leaders failing to condemn their followers’ behaviour, and in particular by the prime minister. This week the Archbishop of Canterbury accused him of using inflammatory language which risked “pouring petrol” on Brexit divisions. Last month, MPs in the Commons begged Johnson to speak out against death threats and restrain his language. Instead he dismissed talk of threats as “humbug”. The volume of venomous tweets soared that evening, doubling overall, with the Labour MP who had requested his intervention hit with 100 vitriolic tweets an hour. In the week earlier she had a total of 31.

Johnson and Corbyn are exacerbating these divisions because both are busily transforming their parties from broad churches into intolerant cults. Moderates are being deselected or hounded out or giving up in despair. Within the Tories, MPs like Kenneth Clarke, Philip Hammond and David Gauke, who did their democratic duty by attempting to find a Brexit that the whole country could live with, have been brutally expelled, redefined as “arch-Remainers”. In Labour, committed MPs such as Owen Smith and Gloria de Piero decided there was no point in carrying on. “My party’s a s***show,” one departing Tory MP told me. “A cesspit”, said one Labour MP of their party.

The tone of the coming campaign is going to intensify these pressures. It will, insiders say, be nakedly populist and aggressive. Johnson’s only justification for holding it now, rather than pushing Brexit through, is the pretence that parliament was blocking his deal. It wasn’t. It had approved the second reading of his deal and passed his Queen’s Speech. Those are inconvenient facts Johnson hopes voters won’t notice.

Instead, his campaign intends to inflame and harness the anger of Tory, Brexit Party and Labour Leavers by presenting all dissenting and opposing MPs as traitors, blockers, saboteurs. The support of all Leaver categories is his only route to a majority. Already social media is alive with people tweeting “drain the swamp” and “good riddance to rats”. Potential new MPs will be expected to be supine voting fodder.

This narrow sectionalism, this demonisation of anyone who has a different view of a good Brexit or a good society, is disastrous not just for MPs affected but for the country. We are losing a generation of dedicated, thoughtful public servants: Dominic Grieve, Amber Rudd, Sir Nicholas Soames — people who have been trying to work through the terrible, byzantine puzzle that is Brexit while being hated much of the way.

We are making a political career a monstrous, burdensome, thankless task, appealing only to those with rhino skins and an anxious servility to power. It’s no way to find the talented leaders of the future. We the voters will pay the price.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dd7b6d7e-fb33-11e9-837f-79f312a00fbd
[close]

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2019, 11:28:36 am »
Think its wrong that we are having an election, when the main concern is Brexit and it's in the hands of marginal seats. The vast majority of the public have no say, as their vote means fuck all. We had a referendum were every vote mattered that got us into this mess, let every vote count getting us out of this stalemate.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 11:50:07 am by OOS »
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline dirks digglers

• Kopite
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2019, 11:32:06 am »
Think its wrong that we are having an election, when the main concern is Brexit and it's in the hands of marginal seats. The vast majority of the public have no say, as their vote means fuck all. We had a refuredum were every vote mattered that got us into this mess, let every vote count getting us out of this stalemate.

A good place to start. https://www.makevotesmatter.org.uk/
If you can’t understand it without an explanation, you can’t understand it with an explanation.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2019, 11:39:51 am »
Leaving this here and then I’m off.

Vote for your party, vote tactically, but please make sure the Tories go. I was born in the dying days of Thatcher, my adult years have been blighted by austerity, I want better for my kids.

Horrible reading that. In all the Brexit nonsense it really has been forgotten about how shit things have gone in the past 9 years.

Leave or Remain, I don't give a fuck anymore to be honest, these bastards just need voting out now. End of.

Online filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2019, 11:56:26 am »
A couple of polls out today from IpsosMori and Yougov, who I think were 2 that managed a decent level of accuracy for the European elections (a lot of pollsters heavily overestimated Labour in that)

CON: 41% (+8)
LAB: 24% (-)
LDEM: 20% (-3)
BREX: 7% (-3)
GRN: 3% (-1)

via @IpsosMORI, 25 - 28 Oct

CON: 36% (-)
LAB: 21% (-2)
LDEM: 18% (-)
BREX: 13% (+1)