Author Topic: La Liga game to be played in America  (Read 10455 times)

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
La Liga game to be played in America
« on: August 16, 2018, 11:33:29 am »
Urgh. We'll have to riot if this is ever close to happening over here. Ridiculous.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports/soccer/europe/2018/08/16/spains-la-liga-stage-regular-season-game-u-s/1005846002/

Spain’s La Liga will become the first major European soccer league to stage a regular-season game in the United States, possibly as early as this season.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: La Liga game to be played in America
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 11:39:43 am »
Fuck everything about this. Hopefully they fight it over there, because the PL don't need any further encouragement with their bollocks 39th game ideas

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 11:40:23 am »
Grim

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 12:07:12 pm »
Bollocks to that.

Whilst I'm totally against the idea, what's the difference in that and the NFL having games in London?

There's fans of both sports on RAWK so do they disagree with both, or in favour of both, or like one but not the other?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 12:09:00 pm »
Fuck everything about this. Hopefully they fight it over there, because the PL don't need any further encouragement with their bollocks 39th game ideas

I think the league realises, unless the "39th game" has absolute no bearing on the league, that having a 39th game, no matter where it is played, would make it an absolute laughing stock.

My concern is that if La Liga do succeed with this, the league try and emulate it and have it as a regular season fixture, which would mean half the teams would have a home game actually in the States, meaning one fewer home game at Anfield (if it's us), which whilst would make tons of money, would absolutely p*ss off loyal supporters back home

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 12:12:11 pm »
Spanish press are saying it will be either a Real Madrid or Barca game. It really wouldn't surprise me if it was actually el clasico they picked.

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 12:14:58 pm »
Bollocks to that.

Whilst I'm totally against the idea, what's the difference in that and the NFL having games in London?

There's fans of both sports on RAWK so do they disagree with both, or in favour of both, or like one but not the other?
Don't agree with the NFL and MBL coming here and wouldn't go despite liking both, but its a bit different in that they are already franchies.
cyas

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 12:23:21 pm »
Bollocks to that.

I go to a few of the NFL games so can't really complain - but the franchises do move around a bit more and less "tribal" for the most. But they definitely have played a part in normalizing this and their success will see other leagues follow, like this.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 12:29:49 pm »
Horrible idea! Absolutely detest everything about it

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 12:43:47 pm »
There is no large professional NFL-style football league in the UK to compete with.

I imagine MLS will either protest this encroachment, or will benefit from La Liga offering money or one of its big three to play another pre-season MLS all-star match. I mean, if you are a casual football fan in the US, are you going to want to spend your money on an MLS match this weekend or a true regular season match between Atletico-Barcelona or Liverpool-City or Bayern-Dortmund? This La Liga move will open the floodgates.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 12:46:50 pm »
Spanish press are saying it will be either a Real Madrid or Barca game. It really wouldn't surprise me if it was actually el clasico they picked.

Imagine being a Barca fan and having your home game against your biggest rival played anywhere but camp nou. Fans need to boycott games against this shit.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 01:07:11 pm »
I think the league realises, unless the "39th game" has absolute no bearing on the league, that having a 39th game, no matter where it is played, would make it an absolute laughing stock.

We effectively already have them with the pre season friendlies in the ICC

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 01:07:33 pm »
Imagine being a Barca fan and having your home game against your biggest rival played anywhere but camp nou. Fans need to boycott games against this shit.

yeah, there's no way they're gonna play eibar v leganes over there it'll deffo be barcelona v real, during our game against the mancs in pre season it got mentioned a few times about premier league games being played over there, that was both on a us tv stream and lfctv

needs nipping in the bud now to be honest, i don't like the nfl games being played over here, not got a problem with them per se but they've been popular and that will only ever lead to one thing with c*nts like scudamore in charge and the downright greed in the league, it's bound to happen one day and it won't be a shite game like cardiff v huddersfield either

imagine seeing us going 4 up against the mancs and instead of a proper let off in the ground with lads going over 4 rows of seats there's fat c*nts whooping and hollering with high fives all round, shite

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 01:39:15 pm »
If this happens over here, I will be done with it all. Completely done. Hope the Spanish lads absolutely hound whatever vultures have sanctioned this.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 01:52:33 pm »
We effectively already have them with the pre season friendlies in the ICC

I would say those are just normal pre-season friendlies, the fact that they usually have bigger English teams in there is irrelevant for that point.  I was more talking about when the Premier League were suggesting having an entire 10 match "round" of games, randomly drawn out, to be played somewhere in January over one weekend, which *would* count towards the standing of the league table.  They then backtracked the counting towards the table part, but were still looking at the logistics of having an entire extra round of fixtures fitted in sometime in January, but all the clubs and supporters were against this for multiple reasons

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2018, 02:01:42 pm »
Bollocks to that.

Beyond the whole franchise thing meaning the ties are already less strict, the NFL includes bye weeks as part of their schedule and fit a London game around that so they can spread the impact of the travel, in a longer football season it would instead result in additional travel demands with no additional rest or if given a week off after it, there would be an extra one on the fixture backlog that the top clubs tend to have anyway.

Offline Scottymuser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2018, 02:04:17 pm »

It would surprise me if, at least initially, it were the classico as it would be in neither club's interest to lose their home fixture, with the support it generates, to the States, and risk losing an important fixture in the title race.  Also, the classico's are almost the only fixtures they actually fill up their stadium for - it makes more sense to take a match where there less empty as they wouldn't be missing out on as much match day revenue.  For instance, in May, Barcelona played Villareal in May at Camp Nou in front of 55k despite it being a chance to show of the trophy; Real Madrid vs Valencia in August was in front of only 61k despite it being a clash of 2 of the biggest 5/6 clubs in the country, etc. 

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2018, 02:07:18 pm »
Don't mind NFL coming here because don't care about it as much as proper football.

Our league games should not go anywhere though imo.....not as if the league needs the money. not as if the sponsors need more money

Flying out there for the Charity shield is as far as I'd go
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Scottymuser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2018, 02:26:00 pm »
Don't mind NFL coming here because don't care about it as much as proper football.

Our league games should not go anywhere though imo.....not as if the league needs the money. not as if the sponsors need more money

Flying out there for the Charity shield is as far as I'd go

Actually, having that pointless waste of time abroad would not be a bad idea at all - I am a big fan of county cricket, and the traditional season opener of County Champions vs MCC Invitees used to be at Lords the week before the first Uni games, so end of March/beginning of April, and now it has been moved to Dubai it has actually got better (largely due to weather)

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2018, 02:27:15 pm »
This is disgusting.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline dptlfc83

• Main Stander
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2018, 02:27:45 pm »
Horrible horrible idea! It's defo on the agenda tho and if it's successful the PL will try to do the same. This is why I think people are naive when they don't think VAR will lead to ad breaks whilst refs are looking at decisions. The people running the game aren't arsed about making things better or fairer, they only see ways to make more money and to fuck with the fans.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2018, 02:30:16 pm »
This is why I think people are naive when they don't think VAR will lead to ad breaks whilst refs are looking at decisions.

How much did 4Pool pay you to say that  :D

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2018, 02:39:43 pm »
It would surprise me if, at least initially, it were the classico as it would be in neither club's interest to lose their home fixture, with the support it generates, to the States, and risk losing an important fixture in the title race.  Also, the classico's are almost the only fixtures they actually fill up their stadium for - it makes more sense to take a match where there less empty as they wouldn't be missing out on as much match day revenue.  For instance, in May, Barcelona played Villareal in May at Camp Nou in front of 55k despite it being a chance to show of the trophy; Real Madrid vs Valencia in August was in front of only 61k despite it being a clash of 2 of the biggest 5/6 clubs in the country, etc. 

The Camp Nou may only have had 55k in it but that makes very little difference to Barca's revenue as they have over 85,000 season ticket holders. They've already banked the money. I would imagine the Bernabeu is something similar.

Barca have already said today they see this move as a positive thing for la liga and they are bound to already have an insight to the kind of figures being mentioned for them to play a game in the states. And if they're going to the states to play, what will generate more money for them, a game against Getafe or one against Real Madrid?

It might not happen this season but I'd be amazed if a Barca vs Real Madrid game isn't played in the US within the next 5 seasons as part of this deal.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2018, 02:48:53 pm »
Horrible horrible idea!

Definitely pyroparty, much as you might protest ha!

Offline Scottymuser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2018, 02:49:42 pm »
I didn't know that about the season ticket holders were that many.  Anyway I agree abojut next 5 seasons - that's why I said initially it wouldn't be a classico.  I think it will also come down to, if Barce/Real feel that their home fixture, which they'd usually expect to win, would be materially different (i.e. they'd have a worse chance to win) if played abroad, and whether they are willing to swallow that risk (I don't think they'd make significantly more money on a classico considering they already get massive amounts of foreign money for that one fixture) to chance an incremental increase in money made - and I think if one of the other had a fixture say every year for the first 4/5 they'd then understand the impact and be willing to go for it.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2018, 02:51:25 pm »

Undisclosed fee... 8)
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2018, 02:52:40 pm »
Horrible horrible idea!

yeah

having said that your lot could look at it as a potential solution for the city game ;D

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2018, 02:53:52 pm »
Maybe Tottenham should get themselves a home stadium in the US for the season.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2018, 02:54:01 pm »
Relevent Sports is the same group who run the ICC preseason tournament.

Owned and run by Charlie Stillitano. Fergies bezzie mate.

Hope it flops and the stadium isn't full.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2018, 02:57:14 pm »
Bollocks to that.

The difference between the 2 sports is relegation & the fact that to win the trophy you actually have to win the league unlike in the NFL.

Can you imagine a team going down because of losing their home advantage & maybe a player being unable to play due to stiffness after the flight,they would rightly go after the PL if they're ever stupid enough to follow suit.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2018, 03:00:50 pm »
Ridiculous. While I'm glad to see the MLS growing over there, American football shouldn't be encouraged to grow by uprooting European teams and forcing them to play on their turf.

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2018, 03:04:55 pm »
It's all about raising the profile of La Liga and their tv viewing audience in the USA. Which will be to the detriment of other leagues on tv.

Premier League execs are probably in an emergency meeting to counter this.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2018, 03:06:43 pm »
It's all about raising the profile of La Liga and their tv viewing audience in the USA. Which will be to the detriment of other leagues on tv.

Premier League execs are probably in an emergency meeting to counter this.

I doubt they'll be worried, the PL pisses on La Liga from a great height commercially - its why the Spaniards are going through with mad deals like this to try and catch up.

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2018, 03:11:55 pm »
Interesting to see who they'll try to mess with. Pick a 'small' fixture and you'd struggle to get anyone caring, pick a 'big' one and boy will they have riots on their hands. Also tremendously unfair. I'd still be completely opposed but cup games abroad would make way more sense. Just say first fixture drawn will be played in X or Y.

It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2018, 03:14:23 pm »

The difference between the 2 sports is relegation & the fact that to win the trophy you actually have to win the league unlike in the NFL.

Can you imagine a team going down because of losing their home advantage & maybe a player being unable to play due to stiffness after the flight,they would rightly go after the PL if they're ever stupid enough to follow suit.

Another issue...Alexis Sanchez, had trouble getting a visa during the summer due to his suspended prison sentence in Spain. So, if Barca play in this game, will they just leave Messi at home?

Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline dptlfc83

• Main Stander
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2018, 03:18:38 pm »

Haha great minds think alike and all that!

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2018, 03:19:43 pm »

According to the radio earlier the Spanish football president said El Classico wont be moved out of the country. Though i imagine if this is a success then it will eventually be played outside of Spain as part of this venture.
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2018, 03:20:12 pm »
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline dptlfc83

• Main Stander
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2018, 03:20:40 pm »
Definitely pyroparty, much as you might protest ha!

I can promise you I'm not pyroparty? Whoever that is. I'm guessing he was great tho 😂.

Offline dptlfc83

• Main Stander
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2018, 03:22:31 pm »
yeah

having said that your lot could look at it as a potential solution for the city game ;D

Your lot? Do you not support Liverpool? Or are you suggesting I don't? I'll meet you in the flat for a bevvie at the next home game, I'll buy 😀