Author Topic: 2018 Formula 1 Thread  (Read 203830 times)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
Re: 2018 Formula 1 Thread
« Reply #160 on: February 22, 2018, 04:24:21 pm »
i hope i can find a good link to the times like last year, it made it somewhat interesting

though if i see the mercs not on top i will strongly suspect a sandbag job

usually they take the leash off near the end of testing.

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: February 22, 2018, 04:49:10 pm »

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: February 22, 2018, 06:49:33 pm »
Good spot

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #163 on: February 22, 2018, 07:43:44 pm »
Toto Wolff wants to take a chainsaw to the Halo. Says it makes the car look ugly, adds weight and alters the cars centre of gravity.

Hamilton wants to sign a new contract before the start of the season.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #164 on: February 22, 2018, 08:39:46 pm »
The Sauber had a halo like the Ferrari too
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #165 on: February 22, 2018, 09:16:53 pm »
Video from Merc here

https://twitter.com/mercedesamgf1/status/966757806857703425

The view with Halo is awful..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline davidlpool1982

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #166 on: February 22, 2018, 10:14:20 pm »
They're going to have to put another set of lights further down the track, no way the cars at the front of the grid will be able to see the lights dude to the halo. I'm also a little intrigued to see how it looks in Wet conditions, can imagine the water rolling off it to be annoying

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: February 23, 2018, 07:41:01 am »
Quite a drastic change to the side pods

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 07:46:48 am by Upinsmoke »

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: February 23, 2018, 07:46:28 am »

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #169 on: February 23, 2018, 08:09:06 am »
They're going to have to put another set of lights further down the track, no way the cars at the front of the grid will be able to see the lights dude to the halo. I'm also a little intrigued to see how it looks in Wet conditions, can imagine the water rolling off it to be annoying

Good point re: wet weather conditions. We will probably hear a lot about it during the course of the season as teams, and the drivers in particular, get to grips with it actually in race conditions. I still can`t get my head around how it doesn`t apparently affect the drivers sight lines - I appreciate that you can trick the eye etc but nevertheless it is a pretty big piece right in front of you.

Not sure I really like the McLaren.....will have to have a couple of looks. Still no sauber though ! (although I doubt many teams will be looking at the back of it save for passing)
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #170 on: February 23, 2018, 08:49:23 am »

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: February 23, 2018, 08:50:51 am »
That’s actually pretty good

I don't like the orange and blue combo and lack of sponsor just makes it bland on the whole for me.

Some interesting bits on he car here https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/966950184289820672?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E1

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #172 on: February 23, 2018, 08:54:08 am »
I don't like the orange and blue combo and lack of sponsor just makes it bland on the whole for me.

Some interesting bits on he car here https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/966950184289820672?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E1

The blue is OK and in small enough areas. Correct orange this time round.

That amount of detail this early on gives me hope.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: February 23, 2018, 08:58:53 am »
Papaya is back babyyy.

Cars look decent this year, as long as you ignore the fucking hideous halo which still looks like an afterthought piece of scaffolding even after its been incorporated into the design. The shots on track look awful now, you can barely see the drivers helmet in most shots.

Ferrari going nearly all red is nice, wish theyd have gone retro with a red/black style but its still decent, Merc looks pretty identical, all the big teams will keep the main bits of aero tech behind until the last minute anyway, but the cars do look mighty slim around the engines which is cool.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: February 23, 2018, 09:06:15 am »
Video from Merc here

https://twitter.com/mercedesamgf1/status/966757806857703425

The view with Halo is awful..

Wow how does that not bother the drivers, it's absolutely awful.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #175 on: February 23, 2018, 09:23:09 am »
The lack of sponsors on so many of these cars is worrying. Where is the money coming from?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #176 on: February 23, 2018, 09:48:13 am »
That McLaren doesn't look bad as such, but fucking hell do they need a 'large' sponsor.

They should have sprayed 'McLaren' down the sides or something to stop it looking so boring and unfunded.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 09:56:35 am by voodoo ray »

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: February 23, 2018, 10:16:01 am »
I dont think I've seen a car that I like bar the Sauber.  Only so many things you can do with a Ferrari and the others are just 'eh...'

McLaren is horrendous for me.  Last couple of years as a backmarker and now it looks like one too.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: February 23, 2018, 11:33:35 am »
The toro Rosso looks good albeit the same paint job as last year

Can imagine the unveiling
"May we unveil, the toro rosso honda*"
*fireworks*
"Wow what a spectacular firework display"
"Strange,, that wasnt supposed to happen!"
"Wait what,,,,?"
"I'll be back in a tick.........yep thought so. We only pushed it out, we thought that would be ok only the Honda has detonated."
"Soooooo all set for Australia"
"No"

Online IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #179 on: February 23, 2018, 12:19:42 pm »
I quite like the McClaren - the colour reminds me of a scalextric car I used to have when I was younger.

But surely a company of their size can find a sponsor to slap across the side of the car? Even if it's some sh*te like Sportspesa or Angry Birds  :D

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: February 23, 2018, 12:23:25 pm »
I hear Boullier mention this morning on Sky that the engine will be over 950bhp.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #181 on: February 23, 2018, 12:24:55 pm »
That McLaren is horrible, sank a long way since the way the cars looked when Hakkinen and then Hamilton were winning them titles. I guess it would look a bit similar to the Mercedes, but that orange is horrible. Looks like an Arrows or Minardi sort of colour scheme.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #182 on: February 23, 2018, 03:41:25 pm »
That McLaren is horrible, sank a long way since the way the cars looked when Hakkinen and then Hamilton were winning them titles. I guess it would look a bit similar to the Mercedes, but that orange is horrible. Looks like an Arrows or Minardi sort of colour scheme.

Bit of a slight on Arrows - their Orange scheme was fantastic. In fact I'd go as far to say that Arrows had the best collection of liveries of all: the cream USF&G, Orange, Zepter/Danka blue, Warsteiner gold. Even the Footwook schemes were interesting.

If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #183 on: February 23, 2018, 03:46:49 pm »
Nah not a fan, prefer my F1 cars to be either red, silver or like a can of Red Bull on wheels.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #184 on: February 23, 2018, 04:07:27 pm »
The orange arrows were decent looking cars.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #185 on: February 23, 2018, 04:14:20 pm »
I like the orange, just not a fan of it with the blue. Also looks weird without a sponsor, as someone said above they should have put their own branding on it for now.

Offline Endoe

• Legacy Fan
  • A liverbird on my chest
« Reply #186 on: February 24, 2018, 01:41:48 am »
I hear Boullier mention this morning on Sky that the engine will be over 950bhp.

And the Hondas output?

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: February 24, 2018, 10:45:52 am »
And the Hondas output?
They were saying at the end of last season they were close to matching Renault's output so it wouldn't surprise me if they were in the 930s.  The power became less of an issue in the end, Alonso was getting pretty high up the grid by the end of the season, it was the reliability.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #188 on: February 24, 2018, 10:56:41 am »
The lack of sponsors on so many of these cars is worrying. Where is the money coming from?

McLaren are struggling like a lot of teams at the moment. The sad fact is companies want to be associated with success, and until they get back up to the other end and start winning again, they will continue to struggle and attract big sponsors like they used too.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #189 on: February 24, 2018, 10:59:36 am »
I think (from a largely uneducated position) that there must be some laziness in not getting sponsors. After all go back and look at fucking Minardi when they existed, they'd get about 4 minutes exposure on telly during a gp weekend but were absolutely plastered in sponsors some years.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #190 on: February 24, 2018, 11:03:47 am »
I think (from a largely uneducated position) that there must be some laziness in not getting sponsors. After all go back and look at fucking Minardi when they existed, they'd get about 4 minutes exposure on telly during a gp weekend but were absolutely plastered in sponsors some years.

They are holding out for a decent price. Cheap sponsors are easy to find. One’s that offer competitive money much harder. They will not commit early unless they feel they are getting maximum value for that space.

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: February 24, 2018, 11:12:00 am »

As mentioned above, Papaya Orange is both historic and Corporate colour for McLaren.

Probably just a testing livery till they nail down/finalise a main sponsor.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #192 on: February 24, 2018, 11:12:57 am »
laziness was the wrong word. I meant stubbornness.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: February 26, 2018, 07:53:32 am »
Testing starts today :D

Times from the first day of a testing from last 2017 for comparison...

Final times and laps completed

1 Lewis Hamilton (GB) Mercedes 1:21.765* (73 laps)
2 Sebastian Vettel (Ger) Ferrari 1:21.878 (128)
3 Felipe Massa (Brz) Williams 1:22.076*  (103)
4 Kevin Magnussen (Den) Haas 1:22.894* (51)
5 Daniel Ricciardo (Aus) Red Bull 1:22.926* (50)
6 Valtteri Bottas (Fin) Mercedes 1:23.169* (79)
7 Sergio Perez (Mex) Force India 1:23.709* (39)
8 Carlos Sainz (Spa) Toro Rosso 1:24.494 (51)
9 Nico Hulkenberg (Ger) Renault 1:24.784 (57)
10 Fernando Alonso (Spa) McLaren 1:24.852* (29)
11 Marcus Ericsson (Swe) Sauber 1:26.841 (72)

* time set on soft tyres; all others set on medium tyres

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #194 on: February 26, 2018, 08:00:40 am »
ted's favourite day

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #195 on: February 26, 2018, 08:17:47 am »
here we go chaps. Season starts (sort of) proper. Thanks for last years Day 1 testing times Graeme. Will be interesting to see the comparisons. As usual we will probably not find out a great deal other than perhaps McLaren moving right up the table posting times that are not miles behind. Anyway, it is good to see some cars back out on a track
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Qston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #196 on: February 26, 2018, 08:28:23 am »
and McLaren have got an installation lap completed....is that progress on last year already ?!  ;)

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: February 26, 2018, 08:33:45 am »
and McLaren have got an installation lap completed....is that progress on last year already ?!  ;)

Yes

Redbull gone back to usual livery. Shame.

A few other teams got the halo wing like the Ferrari. I wonder if we still redbull and Mercedes copy that soon. Something very easy to copy if there's any benefit.

Mclaren have crashed already  ;D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 08:46:53 am by clinical »
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #198 on: February 26, 2018, 09:05:49 am »
Meh - Alonso in the gravel, red flag.  ;D

"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #199 on: February 26, 2018, 09:08:11 am »
*Hello Darkness my old friend*