Author Topic: The Meh Scottish Football Thread  (Read 374521 times)

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Meh Scottish Football Thread
« Reply #1720 on: August 12, 2018, 09:29:26 am »
Rodgers should've got out after the unbeaten season in my opinion, don't think his stock has risen since. Probably the opposite actually, they got a few severe kickings in Europe last season and are in danger of not even making the CL groups this season. That shit sticks, regardless of whether he's working with a gang of bums or not. Some on here would have you believe he'd be in the running for almost any Premier League job, but I reckon I've got a better chance of marrying Scarlett Johansson than Rodgers has of getting a top 6 job anytime soon.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1721 on: August 12, 2018, 09:38:05 am »
The back pages of the papers up here are now full of the fact Dedrick Boyata is refusing to play, his agent claiming broken promises over a move.

Im still confused in how you go from celebrating a double treble to a mini 'crisis' (relatively speaking of course) in a matter of weeks.  :o

Offline archie

• bald. Our man in Moscow. And a bloody decent chap. MIA, last seen babysitting.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • you're due a duechers
« Reply #1722 on: August 12, 2018, 09:46:10 am »
Good win for the Jambos. Lafferty an important player for them although Windass has left Rangers so I expect him to move.

Mon the buddies.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1723 on: August 12, 2018, 09:49:08 am »
Rodgers should of got out last season. He's done as well as anyone could. It's always difficult to progress in Europe but that's not exactly his forte as we saw with us.

Gerrard's situation is a little different as he's still very much learning and in the early stages. Plus it's still a rebuilding job, if Gerrard wins a league at Rangers it'll probably be a bigger achievement than what Rodgers has done up there, like I say I'm not knocking Brendan but he's managed Celtic during a period of very little competitiveness.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1724 on: August 12, 2018, 10:57:25 am »
Rodgers should've got out after the unbeaten season in my opinion, don't think his stock has risen since. Probably the opposite actually, they got a few severe kickings in Europe last season and are in danger of not even making the CL groups this season. That shit sticks, regardless of whether he's working with a gang of bums or not. Some on here would have you believe he'd be in the running for almost any Premier League job, but I reckon I've got a better chance of marrying Scarlett Johansson than Rodgers has of getting a top 6 job anytime soon.
it depends on what level he thinks he is, he has absolutely no chance of getting a top 6 PL job this summer unless he does amazingly well in Europe (Neil Lennon did better than him in europe and got a fucked Bolton next, strachan did better and got boro in the championship and oneill who did the best and won stuff in England with Leicester and had a better rep in England than Rodgers got villa who weren’t in a great place back then)

best case scenario would be a Fulham/West Ham/wolves where he could get a decent budget and inherit some decent (even a big championship club like villa could be a decent option to build something), Newcastle if rafa goes could be an option but it’d be career suicide for him in terms of getting a big job ever again if Ashley is still there, so if he sees himself as an elite manager and won’t take a club outside the top 6 he will be waiting a long long time to work again and will probably take souness’s seat on super Sunday as his next job

Gerrard's situation is a little different as he's still very much learning and in the early stages. Plus it's still a rebuilding job, if Gerrard wins a league at Rangers it'll probably be a bigger achievement than what Rodgers has done up there, like I say I'm not knocking Brendan but he's managed Celtic during a period of very little competitiveness.
If gerrard gets to the Europa group stages and gives it a good go he’s probably outdone Rodgers when it comes to Europe

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1725 on: August 12, 2018, 12:33:53 pm »
Celtic's transfer business or lack of this summer has been bizarre, a lot of Brendan's signings have been disappointing and the January lads they signed to be CL ready this summer have been dreadful or a total waste of time like Compper but that's no excuse not to go again, you can easily argue that August is by far the most important month of their season. Gerrard got criticised for going to a supposedly impossible job but I think it's a great time to go there, Celtic look stale and as it stands are currently weaker than last season. Rangers were exceptional v Maribor, they may fancy this, 1 title and he's a hero there forever, need another attacker though, can't rely on Morelos all season especially if they make the Europa.

Massive game for Celtic in midweek. The first real occasion Brendan hasn't had it all his own way since he's got there, will be interesting to see how he comes through it.

Offline helen the llama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1726 on: August 12, 2018, 10:25:17 pm »
Good win for the Jambos. Lafferty an important player for them although Windass has left Rangers so I expect him to move.

Mon the buddies.

Can’t see him leaving before the end of the season unless Rangers increase there offer AND it is all paid upfront. Ann Budge and Craig Levein know what they are doing.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #1727 on: August 15, 2018, 11:44:23 pm »
The unbeaten season was impressive, but the gap between Celtic and the rest was like 5 times what City's gap was to the rest in the PL last year. Impressive feat, but nothing outrageous.

And while you can't expect them to perform miracles in Europe, Rodgers European track record is really poor.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #1728 on: August 15, 2018, 11:54:00 pm »
The unbeaten season was impressive, but the gap between Celtic and the rest was like 5 times what City's gap was to the rest in the PL last year. Impressive feat, but nothing outrageous.

And while you can't expect them to perform miracles in Europe, Rodgers European track record is really poor.

How many teams have had invincible seasons in football, though?

And not only that, but invincible seasons where they were unbeaten in every domestic competition?

Better looking than Samie.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1729 on: August 16, 2018, 12:19:16 am »
How many teams have had invincible seasons in football, though?

And not only that, but invincible seasons where they were unbeaten in every domestic competition?

Scottish football is difficult to compare with other leagues, the other clubs in Scotland outwith the Old Firm literally have no money to spend now. None. And we're not talking about between the teams at the top of the league vs bottom, we're talking about their nearest rivals. The team that has finished 2nd the past few years has spent about £500k over the past 8 years. So when you add in the fact Rangers have been handicapped for various reasons during this time, you can understand why some remain a bit sceptical at his feat.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1730 on: August 16, 2018, 12:21:01 am »
Scottish football is difficult to compare with other leagues, the other clubs in Scotland outwith the Old Firm literally have no money to spend now. None. And we're not talking about between the teams at the top of the league vs bottom, we're talking about their nearest rivals. The team that has finished 2nd the past few years has spent about £500k over the past 8 years. So when you add in the fact Rangers have been handicapped for various reasons during this time, you can understand why some remain a bit sceptical at his feat.

It doesn't matter about the league though - it's a highly unusual achievement, and to do it, you have to have everything right in your preparation - training, team selection, tactics, man-management. That's why they're so rare. It's not so much about the opposition as it is about maintaining the standard across 50+ games. It's not an achievement to be sniffed at.

Offline dptlfc83

• Main Stander
« Reply #1731 on: August 16, 2018, 12:21:54 am »
I really hope gerrard finishes above Rodgers, that would be great 😂

Offline PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #1732 on: August 16, 2018, 12:27:46 am »
In all honesty this Celtic team would stuggle to avoid relegation from the Championship in England, let alone the Premier League.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #1733 on: August 16, 2018, 12:33:23 am »
Basel, Dynamo Kyiv, Salzburg, Olympiacos, Anderlecht, CSKA Moskva, Ludogorets, Sparta Praha, Kobenhavn, Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, Viktoria Plzen

All clubs that are ahead of Celtic in the UEFA club coefficients. More obscure leagues have clubs regularly doing better than Celtic and other Scottish clubs in Europe these days. In terms of quality, the SPL is probably not much better than the Bosnian Premier League and other such similar leagues.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1734 on: August 16, 2018, 12:42:00 am »
Basel, Dynamo Kyiv, Salzburg, Olympiacos, Anderlecht, CSKA Moskva, Ludogorets, Sparta Praha, Kobenhavn, Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, Viktoria Plzen

All clubs that are ahead of Celtic in the UEFA club coefficients. More obscure leagues have clubs regularly doing better than Celtic and other Scottish clubs in Europe these days. In terms of quality, the SPL is probably not much better than the Bosnian Premier League and other such similar leagues.

While I wish that were the case, our league is utter tripe, I get your point but the SPL is on another planet in comparison.

;D

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1735 on: August 16, 2018, 12:53:24 am »
In all honesty this Celtic team would stuggle to avoid relegation from the Championship in England, let alone the Premier League.
Hold on now!, they are hugeeeeeee and would be winning the Premier league, FA Cup, World snooker and darts championships within two years of moving to the Premiership, cause that's what their fans say, so it must be true, given that they also sang YNWA first too.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1736 on: August 16, 2018, 06:54:38 am »
It doesn't matter about the league though - it's a highly unusual achievement, and to do it, you have to have everything right in your preparation - training, team selection, tactics, man-management. That's why they're so rare. It's not so much about the opposition as it is about maintaining the standard across 50+ games. It's not an achievement to be sniffed at.

Im trying not to knock it, I appreciate what it takes to keep those levels up (I do like Arsenal after all  ;) ), I do disagree though that quality of opposition has nothing to do with it. If it wasn't for a strong Rangers in 96,Tommy Burns Celtic would have been unbeaten as they lost their only league game to them, & perhaps with a domestic treble after getting knocked out both cups by them, instead of empty handed.

Celtics unbeaten season came in a year where most of their traditional rivals were struggling, Rangers were playing with the majority of the team that were in the Championship the year before, Hearts likewise the year before, Hibs & Dundee Utd weren't even in the league, they were down in the Championship due to poor management. So nearly all of the traditional 'bigger teams' bar Aberdeen either weakened or not even in the division.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 08:19:16 am by ScottishGoon »

Offline helen the llama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1737 on: August 16, 2018, 10:22:42 pm »

Celtics unbeaten season came in a year where most of their traditional rivals were struggling, Rangers were playing with the majority of the team that were in the Championship the year before, Hearts likewise the year before, Hibs & Dundee Utd weren't even in the league, they were down in the Championship due to poor management. So nearly all of the traditional 'bigger teams' bar Aberdeen either weakened or not even in the division.
Three of the Hearts/Celtic Matches Ian Cathro was manager for.  Amd while Cathro could be brilliant (4-1 v Rangers) for some games, most often he was not very good.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1738 on: August 19, 2018, 12:30:19 pm »
Rangers are still sizable underdogs today, right?
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1739 on: August 19, 2018, 12:39:46 pm »
That was over the line, another poor decision against Rangers.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1740 on: August 19, 2018, 12:40:18 pm »
Rodgers at the city game together getting bodyscanned before getting in ;D

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #1741 on: August 19, 2018, 12:41:34 pm »
I could have sworn I heard them saying pre-match that VAR was being used.
AHA!

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1742 on: August 19, 2018, 12:41:46 pm »
I had no idea Scotland didn't have goal line technology.  :o How very backwards.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1743 on: August 19, 2018, 12:52:54 pm »
Looks horrible that, how is this daft pitch allowed at this level anyway?
"This level" is your answer.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1744 on: August 19, 2018, 01:13:31 pm »
2-0, deserved it. Morelos is class.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1745 on: August 21, 2018, 12:24:25 am »
Anyone fancy a spot the error game, on this ticket for Annan v Queens Park match.

;D
#Sausages

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #1746 on: August 21, 2018, 08:14:55 am »

Post code is wrong.

Apart from that, £62 in the Queen Elizabeth II Platinum Stand seems like a bargain for such a game.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1747 on: August 23, 2018, 08:17:06 pm »
Are you taking your DeLorean to get to the game?

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1748 on: August 23, 2018, 08:34:49 pm »
Post code is wrong.

Apart from that, £62 in the Queen Elizabeth II Platinum Stand seems like a bargain for such a game.
its a complimentagy ticket as well

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #1749 on: August 24, 2018, 08:02:20 pm »
Is it that the 18th wasn’t a Saturday?

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1750 on: August 24, 2018, 08:38:25 pm »
I want to see conditionx so any chance of the reverse of the ticket please  :D
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1751 on: August 24, 2018, 08:42:52 pm »
Googled the phone number, got this:

https://yellow.place/ru/aafc-social-annan-britain

Do they have a big Russian following?
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline David in Edinburgh

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Klopp
« Reply #1752 on: August 26, 2018, 11:50:56 am »
I had no idea Scotland didn't have goal line technology.  :o How very backwards.

A massive understatement when describing the choobs who ru(i)n the game up here. :no
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 11:52:32 am by David in Edinburgh »

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1753 on: August 29, 2018, 01:47:24 pm »
Looks like Dembele wants out before the deadline. Will be interesting to see if Celtic sell, their fans are already melting down about the lack of business.

@STVRaman
Brendan Rodgers says Moussa Dembele missed training as the striker and his representatives were at Celtic Park holding talks with club over his future.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1754 on: August 31, 2018, 09:29:20 pm »
Dembele gets his wish. Off to Lyon.

http://www.celticfc.net/news/14881

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1755 on: August 31, 2018, 09:51:35 pm »
Tidy profit for Celtic - any plans to reinvest some of it on the squad?
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1756 on: August 31, 2018, 09:59:03 pm »
He'll get to work with Fekir that will be a good partnership to watch.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1757 on: August 31, 2018, 10:06:59 pm »

Looking at the Celtic boards - looks like their money men aren't into reinvesting in the team.

Shades of Rafa's last seasons here by the sounds of it.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #1758 on: September 1, 2018, 08:37:07 am »
Looking at the Celtic boards - looks like their money men aren't into reinvesting in the team.

Shades of Rafa's last seasons here by the sounds of it.

The return of the biscuit-tin brigade?
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1759 on: September 1, 2018, 01:31:39 pm »
they bought that lad from PSG earlier in the summer didn’t they? Plus they have a big financial hole of no CL this season to plug