Author Topic: Dave's TV Snobbery Topic with added Low Brow Self Indulgences  (Read 1235719 times)

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
Re: Dave's TV Snobbery Topic with added Low Brow Self Indulgences
« Reply #7840 on: December 3, 2017, 10:59:33 am »
Godless was boss. A certain set piece was absolutely magnificent. Jeff Daniels was boss as well. Is it bad that I nearly came to tears when my favourite character
Spoiler
the little Indian kid was crying cause he led the horse to those trees and he had to put it down? Fucking hell
[close]

If anyone wondered, the German woman is Michael Shannon character's crazy wife from Boardwalk Empire.

‘Dark’ is great so far.  It’s like Stranger Things for grown-ups.  My advice though: Netflix have it set to English dubbing, so switch to German with English subtitles. 

When I saw the available options for downloading there was the dubbed one as well and my only thought was 'Fuck no' :)
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7841 on: December 8, 2017, 03:40:42 pm »
Anyone heard about a german language drama on Netflix called Dark?

Read some brilliant reviews of it.

Gonna put this on the top of my to watch list.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7842 on: December 8, 2017, 03:45:36 pm »
Anyone heard about a german language drama on Netflix called Dark?

Read some brilliant reviews of it.

Gonna put this on the top of my to watch list.

It's literally mentioned in the post above yours. ;)

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #7843 on: December 10, 2017, 09:23:18 am »
Very Bladerunner looking.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/M8PsZki6NGU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/M8PsZki6NGU</a>
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7844 on: December 10, 2017, 11:48:02 am »
Any of you watched Future Man (Hulu time travelling comedy) yet ?  I've just finished it and whilst it won't be for everybody I really enjoyed it.

I've just finished this and it was surprisingly fantastic. The episode where they time travel to the 80's and Wolf decides to stay was hysterical.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #7845 on: December 10, 2017, 11:45:27 pm »

So much to enjoy in this.....Jack O'Connell as always oozing star quality, ditto fellow Brit Michelle Dockery...Scoot McNairy's disheveled, half blind lawman...the terrific Merritt Wever as the free-spirited and hard-boiled widow Mary Agnes....and Jeff Daniels, magnificent and chilling as the evil fuckin nut-job Frank Griffin.........visually stunning too.....beautifully shot, with the cinemascope landscapes at times reminiscent of The Searchers and Night Of The Hunter......a slow paced and at times brutal homage to the classic western but not afraid to up-end some of the traditional character tropes of the genre and the mythologising of the frontier.....loved it

Ditto. Well said P.

An exceptional piece of telly in so many ways. So many delicious touches. Mesmerising.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #7846 on: December 11, 2017, 01:01:17 am »
Finished Godless what a wonderful production that was.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #7847 on: December 11, 2017, 03:02:18 am »
Started 4 Blocks, Arabic gangster drama set in Berlin, think The Pistol mentioned it a few weeks back in this thread but couldn't find his post in a search.

Very good stuff...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #7848 on: December 11, 2017, 03:14:42 am »

So much to enjoy in this.....Jack O'Connell as always oozing star quality, ditto fellow Brit Michelle Dockery...Scoot McNairy's disheveled, half blind lawman...the terrific Merritt Wever as the free-spirited and hard-boiled widow Mary Agnes....and Jeff Daniels, magnificent and chilling as the evil fuckin nut-job Frank Griffin.........visually stunning too.....beautifully shot, with the cinemascope landscapes at times reminiscent of The Searchers and Night Of The Hunter......a slow paced and at times brutal homage to the classic western but not afraid to up-end some of the traditional character tropes of the genre and the mythologising of the frontier.....loved it

The first film I thought of watching this was Shane how the kid looks up to him.

One of my favourite characters was the old Indian women really enjoyed the hunting trip part of the series.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 03:17:18 am by Trada »

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #7849 on: December 11, 2017, 09:20:00 am »
Dark' is one of the best shows I've seen this year.

German with English subtitles but it's compelling.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #7850 on: December 11, 2017, 09:30:20 am »
Started 4 Blocks, Arabic gangster drama set in Berlin, think The Pistol mentioned it a few weeks back in this thread but couldn't find his post in a search.

Very good stuff...

This is great....a Gomorrah'esque drug/gang thriller - centered around an Arabic gang family in Berlin...fast paced and enthralling ...did half the series in last night and very impressed. Available on Amazon prime and your usual stockists

:thumbup
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #7851 on: December 11, 2017, 10:39:50 am »
What's happened to Dave, almost a month since he last posted? Hope he's ok!
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7852 on: December 11, 2017, 12:20:03 pm »
It's literally mentioned in the post above yours. ;)
My Bad.

Going to get on Dark sometime this week.

Finished the last  2 episodes of Godless last night and it's just pure brilliant.

Anyone think Netflix see potential for a season 2,i know the show was a 1 season only but that ending makes me think they left it open,maybe see social media and reviews and then decide to do another season or more?

Ray Goode is such a compelling character.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #7853 on: December 11, 2017, 12:46:25 pm »
Very Bladerunner looking.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/M8PsZki6NGU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/M8PsZki6NGU</a>

There is a trilogy of Takeshi Kovacs novels. I enjoyed them. It is the sort of hard science fiction that you dread filmed adaptations of.  Whilst it could work, I have the same trepidation that I normally feel about Gibson adaptations.

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #7854 on: December 11, 2017, 03:25:40 pm »
:thumbup

Do I need to spoiler the bit from episode 1 where Abbas
Spoiler
farts at his girlfriend
[close]
?

Was rolling... ;D

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7855 on: December 11, 2017, 06:00:52 pm »
I've just finished this and it was surprisingly fantastic. The episode where they time travel to the 80's and Wolf decides to stay was hysterical.

"I've shit your bed again"   ;D
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #7856 on: December 11, 2017, 08:11:13 pm »
Anyone?

Online afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #7857 on: December 11, 2017, 08:36:55 pm »

Competing in the Dakar rally...

On the bike...

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7858 on: December 11, 2017, 11:41:25 pm »

Smashed through 13 ep's of this today and agree, great little watch ;D.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #7859 on: December 12, 2017, 11:12:13 pm »
Just started Netflix Manhunt: Unabomber.

Y.N.W.A.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7860 on: December 14, 2017, 06:49:21 pm »
Dark is great. Get on it. Quality soundtrack too

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7861 on: December 14, 2017, 07:57:16 pm »

Watched it all today it is very good and Paul Bettany was totally brilliant in it.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7862 on: December 14, 2017, 07:59:20 pm »
By the way you can now get Amazons Prime on Apple TV as well as Netflix saves me having two seperate units now.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7863 on: December 14, 2017, 08:54:01 pm »
Watched 5 episodes this week of Dark,really impressed with it,tas someone said on this thread it's like a more mature stranger things kind of show.

My other half got about 15 minutes of the 1st episode and gave up because it has subtitles. :butt

Her loss.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7864 on: December 15, 2017, 09:28:48 am »
Watched 5 episodes this week of Dark,really impressed with it,tas someone said on this thread it's like a more mature stranger things kind of show.

My other half got about 15 minutes of the 1st episode and gave up because it has subtitles. :butt

Her loss.

Find it mad that some people are put off a show/movie because of subtitles.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7865 on: December 15, 2017, 12:52:22 pm »

Her loss.
I found the start of episode 1, the subtitles do move quick. Maybe it's the family scene at the start where they're all talking over each other that put her off. It settles down tell her

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #7866 on: December 15, 2017, 01:03:49 pm »

Her loss.

Netflix gives you the option to listen to the English dubbed version but it fucking ruins it. I know Germans and French are big on dubbed versions on imported TV shows and movies but just yikes.

Anyway, finished Dark last night and absolutely loved it.

Incredibly atmospheric, some great music to accompany it, lovely colour contrast and very strong and convincing performances.

I think there is always a danger to have a derailment plot wise because of the nature of it (plot) and there were some tiny signs of it but overall it was a success. Had its timely revelations and a lot of bingeability but not necessarily because of cligghangers rather than that the whole package is so well presented to the audience.

Series had some characters that you bond with them, its anti heroes and some that whereas you see there is no cure for them, they are at least interesting to begin with.

Spoiler
Wanted, like Jonas, to grab Mikkel and bring him back but you are being reminded, like the former, that things are not that simple anymore.  :(
[close]

PS: This has to be one of the most impressive HD material I've ever seen when it comes to face details. Any imperfections, pores etc were incredibly visible.  Sumptuous as that twat Martin Tyler would say.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 01:05:48 pm by Yiannis »
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #7867 on: December 15, 2017, 07:34:22 pm »

Nice one, I must miss loads on Netflix this was really good

Couldn't help but think of Jim Carey whenever Bettany was on screen
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 08:15:49 pm by Igor Tripod Biscan »
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #7868 on: December 16, 2017, 04:48:19 pm »
Watched it all today it is very good and Paul Bettany was totally brilliant in it.

Enjoyed it too and the acting was excellent I agree, loving the Netflix Serial Killer shows, this and Mindhunter, so more of the same please.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7869 on: December 16, 2017, 05:06:58 pm »

I will often think twice about a subtitled show or movie, it just takes more scheduling than stuff you can have on in the background while doing other stuff.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #7870 on: December 17, 2017, 02:24:27 pm »
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #7871 on: December 18, 2017, 09:22:47 pm »
Just a quick heads up to those of you who can access the BBC iPlayer, they are doing a box set thing for Christmas, making it possible to watch a few whole series that may be of interest to those who missed them. 1st two I have noticed are Line of Duty series 1-4 and Taboo, both of which are easily recommended. I am told that even our overseas relatives can get in with software that makes you look like you are over here, expat or its like.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7872 on: December 18, 2017, 11:28:34 pm »
I am just about to sit down and watch the 2nd episode of the SyFy show Happy,the first episode was totally bonkers so I have high hopes for this one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy!_(TV_series)
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7873 on: December 18, 2017, 11:32:15 pm »
i am watching Series 2 of the Australian Series 'Wanted'  not too bad and no need to concentrate too hard with the plot.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7874 on: December 19, 2017, 10:46:25 am »
I am just about to sit down and watch the 2nd episode of the SyFy show Happy,the first episode was totally bonkers so I have high hopes for this one.

Based on the Grant Morrison comic, I might check that out.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #7875 on: December 19, 2017, 12:30:29 pm »

Waiting for the daughter to rise from her pit to start this...the trailer looked nutty ;D

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #7876 on: December 19, 2017, 12:41:47 pm »

Just watched the trailer that looks mental will have to give it a watch.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/K60kfc-k-8g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/K60kfc-k-8g</a>

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #7877 on: December 19, 2017, 08:08:30 pm »

This is good, as good as Mindhunters - but it could have been better had they cast a lead who could act.

I don't mind Sam Worthington, I don't mind him at all... But his calling far exceeds his ability. I have seen a fair few of his roles and some have been good, some have been wide of the mark. He is supposedly a gigantic arse on set too - which tells me that he is either an egotistical beaut (which can be him, acting out of his ego), or that he has engagement problems (finds it hard to act, so needs constant attention).

For him to play the lead in a real-life drama - portraying a real-life character... bemuses me. The fella is all 1's and no 0's - and the times that he is required to show emotion, he struggles, he really does. There is one scene in particular where he is obviously meant to show elation of sorts, he looks like he is in physical pain, real physical pain. There is another where he is meant to show remorse or sadness, he looks awkwardly happy. Now, it could be argued that this is how actors act and that he may be portraying one of the real technicians in the case -- yes, fine, except, this wouldn't be the first time he's fudged a role, with similar misgivings.

Genius linguistic profiler? Pfft...

Other than that, the programme is great... if you can ignore Sam Worthington.

In addition: One thing that got me was how little praise or PR this programme has gotten, it is up there with Mindhunters (not AS good, but it is up there - real life crime, FBI profiling... etc...) - but then I saw that it is produced by Kevin Spacey... Did this come out before he was exposed as a filthmonger?

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 08:21:38 pm by Kidder. »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #7878 on: December 20, 2017, 12:13:33 am »
Happy is cracking. So funny!

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7879 on: December 20, 2017, 05:21:49 am »
Just watched the first two episodes of Happy! It is awesome. Something very left field of the norm of TV programmes. Worth a look, it's like Roger Rabbit meets the punisher lol.