Author Topic: MLS Thread  (Read 81070 times)

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
Re: MLS Thread
« Reply #480 on: May 30, 2018, 01:05:30 pm »
FC Cincinnati Becomes 26th Team In MLS

FC Cincinnati will join the MLS as an expansion team next year.

MLS made the announcement on Tuesday evening at a ceremony with commissioner Don Garber and Cincinnati mayor John Cranley in attendance.

"Major League Soccer is proud to introduce Cincinnati as our 26th team," said Garber. "The rise of Cincinnati as a passionate soccer market in recent years, coinciding with the city's growing economy and reputation as a top destination for young professionals makes it an ideal city for our growing league.

"We congratulate [Managing Owner and CEO of FC Cincinnati] Carl Lindner and his partners, and also the soccer fans of Cincinnati, who have passionately supported FC Cincinnati in the USL."

MLS, which is looking to add four teams in two rounds of expansion, invited 12 cities to submit bids over a year ago. Nashville won the first slot in December, leaving Cincinnati, Detroit and Sacramento as finalists to vie for the other spot in the initial wave.

ESPN

http://www.espn.com/soccer/major-league-soccer/story/3512103/fc-cincinnati-to-join-mls-as-expansion-team-next-season

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #481 on: May 30, 2018, 01:10:12 pm »
League seems to be growing for sure. Has there been much investment in terms of youth development or are they still going to be seen as a place where players wind down their careers?

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #482 on: May 30, 2018, 01:41:32 pm »
League seems to be growing for sure. Has there been much investment in terms of youth development or are they still going to be seen as a place where players wind down their careers?
Cincinnati is a bit strange pick for an expansion team though. I rather get a team to Phoenix, San Diego or San Fran.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #483 on: May 30, 2018, 01:43:07 pm »
Cincinnati is a bit strange pick for an expansion team though. I rather get a team to Phoenix San Diego or San Fran.

To play in that heat?  :o

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #484 on: May 30, 2018, 01:45:29 pm »
To play in that heat?  :o
Why not, there are Texas and L.A. teams

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #485 on: May 30, 2018, 01:52:04 pm »

Have you been to Phoenix? LA and Texas don't compare.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #486 on: May 30, 2018, 01:54:44 pm »
San Diego should have got that expansion.

They have 1 major sports team there at the minute,they have land ready and the money to build a stadium and a massive Mexican-American community who just love soccer.

Dumb decision by MLS.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #487 on: May 30, 2018, 02:06:11 pm »
Cinci deserve it ok crowd numbers alone, that’s what the mls wants and needs right now for it’s image, not saying other cities wouldn’t get the numbers but cinci have proved they will

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: May 30, 2018, 02:08:28 pm »
Yeah I have and been to San Antonio and Dallas and Florida as well, pretty much similar imo. I mean there are warm countries and cities that has football and other sports teams and leagues in the world. Fuckers will be okay when they get a team.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #489 on: May 30, 2018, 02:10:07 pm »

They have 1 major sports team there at the minute,they have land ready and the money to build a stadium and a massive Mexican-American community who just love soccer.

Dumb decision by MLS.
Exactly my thoughts. They should’ve gotten it, instead they brought the 2nd L.A. team ffs.

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: May 31, 2018, 07:02:34 am »

Dumb decision by MLS.

I agree with that completely (and not just because I live here now) Its a city screaming out for a successful sports team and with the right investment on and off the pitch they could build something here with a huge potential fan base.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #491 on: July 1, 2018, 06:49:09 pm »

Hope he fails. The league does not need him, DC maybe, Columbus would of been a better fit.

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #492 on: July 2, 2018, 12:58:13 am »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/KrVZPIEWp_k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/KrVZPIEWp_k</a>

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #493 on: July 2, 2018, 01:08:57 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/KrVZPIEWp_k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/KrVZPIEWp_k</a>

When it was on, I stopped watching at halftime.

Great timing on my part.
King Kenny.

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
  • The Glory round Anfield Road!
« Reply #494 on: July 3, 2018, 06:19:53 pm »
Good win at Toronto for NYRB. Robles had himself a game.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #495 on: July 3, 2018, 06:22:45 pm »
Good win at Toronto for NYRB. Robles had himself a game.

Don't follow MLS at all, but what the hell has happened to Toronto? Can barely win a game this year it seems.

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #496 on: July 3, 2018, 10:22:29 pm »
They’ve went all in on the Concacaf Champions League and since losing the final pens hasn’t helped either.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #497 on: July 6, 2018, 03:49:51 pm »
Jesse Mench leaves NY Red Bulls, expected to join RB Leipzig:

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2018/07/06/marsch-leaves-new-york-red-bulls-armas-hired/

Chris Armas appointed as his replacement.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #498 on: July 6, 2018, 05:21:30 pm »
Jesse Mench leaves NY Red Bulls, expected to join RB Leipzig:

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2018/07/06/marsch-leaves-new-york-red-bulls-armas-hired/

Chris Armas appointed as his replacement.

Wow, Armas does not, or at least has not, see(n) the game the same way as Marsch.

Interesting times ahead for Red Bull...

And good on Marsch.

Taking a chance outside MLS, doing the UEFA Pro Licenc(-s)e, etc.

Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #499 on: July 8, 2018, 12:16:41 am »
One of the MLS players has come out

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/us-sport/mls-collin-martin-gay-soccer-minnesota-united-lgbt-us-football-twitter-a8423856.html

Good on him, hope he inspires more to come out if they want.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #500 on: July 8, 2018, 07:37:13 pm »
Shame about the timing of Jesse Marsch leaving right before the Derby with NYCFC.

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #501 on: July 13, 2018, 11:25:18 am »

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #502 on: July 15, 2018, 08:17:00 pm »
"Rooney has also been known to deceive goalkeepers by finessing shots across the goal line" :lmao

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: August 13, 2018, 03:24:12 am »
DC up a man decided to send their keeper up at 2-2 in stoppage time (Ben Olsen....).  The ball is cleared and Orlando can break with an empty net, but then insanity ensues....

https://streamable.com/jwc44
King Kenny.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #504 on: August 13, 2018, 04:01:29 am »
DC up a man decided to send their keeper up at 2-2 in stoppage time (Ben Olsen....).  The ball is cleared and Orlando can break with an empty net, but then insanity ensues....

I've never seen him run that fast  :o

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #505 on: August 13, 2018, 12:56:19 pm »
I've never seen him run that fast  :o

Rest of team celebrating, he's doubled over, hands on knees...

One goal in six matches, my bet with Babu is looking good early days... :D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #506 on: August 13, 2018, 01:11:40 pm »

Class that. Always good to see a player roll back the years. Fastest he's ran in years.  ;D
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #507 on: August 13, 2018, 01:23:51 pm »
Did he play the whole game?  95th minute and he's tracking back like that and then still has the wherewithal and technique to play that insane pass.  His form fell off a cliff towards the end of his time over here but his ability and desire is still there.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #508 on: August 13, 2018, 01:34:09 pm »

That's pretty incredible.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: August 13, 2018, 02:39:39 pm »

Absolutely incredible from Rooney. Nice of the scorer to completely ignore him and piss off into the crowd to celebrate.

Offline Geormajesty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #510 on: August 13, 2018, 03:58:32 pm »
DC up a man decided to send their keeper up at 2-2 in stoppage time (Ben Olsen....)
Why?

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #511 on: August 13, 2018, 04:27:00 pm »
Why?

Was reading more about this.  Basically, DC United are in last place in the Eastern Conference in the MLS but still have a shot at the playoffs (standings below).  They have 3-4 matches in hand on everyone (14 matches remaining overall) because they just moved into a new stadium and backloaded a lot of their home fixtures because they wanted those matches in their home stadium.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/standings

As it stood, they were something like 12 points adrift of 6th place (final playoff spot) with 14 matches remaining.  Ben Olsen, the manager, basically took a gamble for all 3 points, especially since this was one of the home matches they really needed to win (Orlando City are mired in terrible form).  They threw away a lead twice and were up a man, so Olsen gambled figuring they needed 3 points.  There is also no relegation in the MLS, so risking a point to get all 3 wouldn't be devastating if Orlando scored.

However, this was still crazy because a lot of DC fans are fed up with Olsen.  They've been really shit for over a year now.  Sending up your keeper in a 2-2 draw against a shit Orlando team could've (and should've) ended in the type of defeat that could've made DC even more of a laughingstock (one of my friends that follows MLS closely makes fun of him at every opportunity).  This was also a crazy decision since corners aren't that high percentage for scoring, and it wasn't even the absolute final kick.  I mean, I could understand it more if you figure the ref would end the match as soon as the ball was cleared (leaving no chance for a shot at the empty goal), but there was still 1 minute of stoppage time left!

Fortune favors the bold (and crazy) I guess.

Did he play the whole game?  95th minute and he's tracking back like that and then still has the wherewithal and technique to play that insane pass.  His form fell off a cliff towards the end of his time over here but his ability and desire is still there.

He did.  Had another assist as well.  I was watching him off the ball, and he looked immobile past about 70 minutes or so.  He was constantly dropping deep to play in midfield but would then walk/jog up to get closer to the box.  It definitely looked like the legs were gone on the night.  No way would a young Rooney slowly amble up to the box when DC had chances to put the ball in.  But clearly he had enough left in the tank to make that run, tackle, and cross-field ball at the end.  I was really surprised to be honest.

I think if Orlando had 11 men, Rooney could've been a liability in midfield on the counter-attack or wouldn't have had anything left in the tank in stoppage time, but the man advantage helped a lot.
King Kenny.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: August 13, 2018, 04:55:47 pm »

Are those sort of commentators pretty standard fare in the MLS? Would do my head in having to listen to that.

Offline Geormajesty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #513 on: August 13, 2018, 06:08:18 pm »
Was reading more about this...
Cheers!

Online tonysleft

• Legacy Fan
  • A manc
« Reply #514 on: August 13, 2018, 08:38:23 pm »
Wow, flashback of young Rooney there. It's been what, 6 years since he did something good. Fair play!
Great chiefs and great loves in obliterated light

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #515 on: August 13, 2018, 10:46:57 pm »
Are those sort of commentators pretty standard fare in the MLS? Would do my head in having to listen to that.
JP Dellacamera is a regular on Fox and commentated on a bunch of our CL games as well as a bunch of World Cup games, Alexi Lalals, fortunately hasn't been doing much commentary rather studio analysis (and he is the absolute worst in his punditry).
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline MancEunuchian

• Manc
  • Main Stander
  • On the piss with Georgie Best
« Reply #516 on: August 13, 2018, 11:49:04 pm »
JP Dellacamera is a regular on Fox and commentated on a bunch of our CL games as well as a bunch of World Cup games, Alexi Lalals, fortunately hasn't been doing much commentary rather studio analysis (and he is the absolute worst in his punditry).
Alejandro Moreno says hi :wave

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: August 13, 2018, 11:55:33 pm »
Alejandro Moreno says hi :wave
Compared to Lalas, he is Good.

Lalas is terrible.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #518 on: August 29, 2018, 05:08:30 pm »
Clint Dempsey has retired. My favorite player to ever play for the USMNT.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: September 6, 2018, 12:07:09 am »
Beckham's new MLS club's name will be "Club Internacional de Fútbol Miami". Pretty lame to be honest.