Author Topic: App programming  (Read 1908 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
App programming
« on: May 30, 2020, 01:42:28 pm »
Looking to build a really simple app (single fixed page, few buttons to select a purchase, then a pay button which would then instruct you to use the payment terminal.

Have some basic knowledge but never built a full app before. Anyone got any links to good online resources for learning this stuff? Would be going on an android device only.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
Re: App programming
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 12:04:45 am »
Maybe something like this https://www.androidauthority.com/android-app-makers-672412/ to get you started then maybe Android Studio if you progress.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 02:01:16 pm »

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 03:09:09 pm »
How's your JS? https://www.nativescript.org/

Or React native

And if you are not react friendly but have JS experience Cordova / Adobe PhoneGap does the same thing.

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 04:15:03 pm »
You could also look at Ionic which also uses Cordova. Can use Angular, React, Vue or plain JS. Angular is better documented than the rest.

There is a free plan for their Appflow, that allows you to build the app in the cloud on their server. It means you would not have to install Android Studio, gradle etc for the build stage. You just have to generate the keystore and provide that.
You can also do in App Updates using their deploy feature, that uses a .git workflow. Just means you can send updates direct over the internet rather then re-submit back to the play store (as long as you fundamentally do not change the app ).

https://ionicframework.com/pricing/compare

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5 on: June 1, 2020, 06:32:45 am »
Thanks for the advice - will give the links a read.

It really is only a simple app (it’s more to test an idea / proof of concept before I pay someone to build out the features) so hopefully can get my head around writing it.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: June 1, 2020, 08:50:23 pm »
Thanks for the advice - will give the links a read.

It really is only a simple app (it’s more to test an idea / proof of concept before I pay someone to build out the features) so hopefully can get my head around writing it.
Maybe prototyping would be a simpler and better alternative?
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2020, 02:25:36 pm »
Don't know if there's just more of these appearing or I'm noticing them but codecademy have launched a skill path for a basic android app: https://www.codecademy.com/learn/paths/introduction-to-android-with-java - can get a free week's trial.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020, 07:25:04 pm »
Cheers for those, will take a look at them both now  ;D

Offline Wengerpresser101

• 8 posts in, could be RAWK’s greatest ever contributor. 248 posts in, the jury's still out......It's a fax he's a dickhead. Still the Greatest Fan of L...sorry...AFC there's EVER been!
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: September 3, 2020, 11:54:43 pm »
Stack Overflow is helpful for alot of the programming small tasks and debugging. I think udemy have alot of courses for app development, as a whole. Youtube videos is also helpful for learning individual programming concepts to complete a task, and they have code demonstrations too.

If it's just prototyping I think Proto.io is pretty useful for like drawing out how it looks etc.

Offline johnnyy

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: November 9, 2020, 11:03:54 am »
If you're wanting to build an app on Android then Java is your language and if iOS is your platform Objective-c or Swift. I recommend using BaaS providers such as Parse for your projects in the beginning. Simply google 'iOS app tutorials' or 'Android app development tutorials' and you should be on your way to learning to program. I study programmin in college right now and I also use some help of this service https://assignmentshark.com/ for javascript homework help.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 01:25:34 pm by johnnyy »

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 9, 2020, 01:54:24 pm »
If I wanted to develop an app that transferred a small file via bluetooth, would I have to learn to code that or is there something that I could use to define my requirement and the code would be created for me? Like an Android/Java visual basic?

(You can tell that I'm a noob can't you?!)
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #13 on: November 9, 2020, 11:25:47 pm »
If I wanted to develop an app that transferred a small file via bluetooth, would I have to learn to code that or is there something that I could use to define my requirement and the code would be created for me? Like an Android/Java visual basic?

(You can tell that I'm a noob can't you?!)

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/create-bluetooth-android-application-using-android-studio/

For instance.

Guides all over the interweb on pretty much anything you can think of
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2020, 04:48:08 pm »
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2020, 12:22:44 pm »
Also, here's a free Udacity course on Microsoft Power Platform, which is a low-code/no-code platform for building apps or automated workflows. It looks to be around 6 hours of "lecture" time but there'll be more than that time to spend in actually doing labs and stuff.

I haven't used Power Platform very much other than for data vis, but I know they use it quite a lot at my brother's work.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Thush

• Spawwow, Tit. Anal Chat is "Equidistant between chit-chat and analysis"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's pronounced "Toosh"
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2020, 03:40:27 pm »
Could have a look at https://bubble.io

A no-code platform to build apps quickly.