Author Topic: Macbook/Macbook Pro thread  (Read 476261 times)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Re: Macbook/Macbook Pro thread
« Reply #5640 on: August 13, 2020, 03:11:38 pm »
I think the charger is a flaw on the Macbook

The way it 'snaps' in etc. i think that was the problem because I remember when charging it I had to pull it up and down to get it to work and for the light to come on and for it to charge.

I didn't do anything with it and never dropped it or anything. It just died one day.

Shame because it was fast and as I say the battery life is a real plus on them and unique if you need  that.

However the Lenovo ideapad range is really good and much, much cheaper!

Daft question but have you tried using someone else's (known-to-be-working) charger on the machine? The cables have a weakness at each end, whereby they fail if flexxed to far, too often.

Also, might be worth checking if there are any obstructions in/around the pins in the machine and at the charging end of the cable, to which the charger magnetically attaches.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5641 on: August 13, 2020, 05:30:06 pm »
Daft question but have you tried using someone else's (known-to-be-working) charger on the machine? The cables have a weakness at each end, whereby they fail if flexxed to far, too often.

Also, might be worth checking if there are any obstructions in/around the pins in the machine and at the charging end of the cable, to which the charger magnetically attaches.

Haven't tried it to be honest.  I will get it out sometime and have another look. I'm thinking of cleaning it up and taking it to get repaired.. I have the same problem as Zlen; its really dirty.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5642 on: August 13, 2020, 06:23:22 pm »
its really dirty.
Probs best to clean your browser history then :lmao

Seriously though, if you can eliminate the 'smaller' problems, it could just be a question of either cleaning the contacts or replacing the charging cable/socket - £80 as opposed to £800.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5643 on: August 13, 2020, 06:27:39 pm »
Probs best to clean your browser history then :lmao

Seriously though, if you can eliminate the 'smaller' problems, it could just be a question of either cleaning the contacts or replacing the charging cable/socket - £80 as opposed to £800.

So how do I clean it without risking further damage? I've got screen wipes from Amazon but the whole thing needs cleaning really... .

Bit embarrassing to take it somewhere in the state its in!

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5644 on: August 13, 2020, 07:29:25 pm »
3/4 years.

It won't charge and it wont start up..  It's fecked.

Just book it in at the Genius Bar for them to look at it, if it's less than 6 years old they will do the repair for free if it's not been damaged. Or they'll at least be able to mostly diagnose the issue for you.

I clean mine with a screen wipe, really light touch over and then use a dry microfibre.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5645 on: August 13, 2020, 07:46:57 pm »
Thanks  Claire I will get round to it.

I should get it fixed as they aint cheap .  I think the battery life on them is still superior to any other laptop so if you need something mobile  I would definitely pay the extra but the Lenovo ideapad' is quite impressive for its price and hasn't let me down (yet)...

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5646 on: August 13, 2020, 09:22:37 pm »
So how do I clean it without risking further damage? I've got screen wipes from Amazon but the whole thing needs cleaning really... .

Bit embarrassing to take it somewhere in the state its in!
30 degrees, wool wash, no spin........

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5647 on: August 13, 2020, 10:19:02 pm »
30 degrees, wool wash, no spin........

Need to make sure you iron it under the tea towel too.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5648 on: August 24, 2020, 03:47:05 pm »
Thinking of getting this - any advice?

https://mobipunkt.ee/en-macbook/preowned/macbook-pro-retina-133/96/2145

From what I know, the early 2015 model is a) rare now, b) highly sought-after cos c) it is the last gen to have the decent keyboards before the shit clicky ones came in and d) hard to find one with 512GB SSD already installed and e) the last of the MBP power horses before they change fucking everything!!!

Am assuming this has an illuminate keyboard due to higher spec.

It's the thinner model, so no optical drive, which is great, cos I am still using a mid-2012 which has had illuminated keyboard retrofitted, replaced optical drive with 512GB SSD and the original HD is also 512GB, so I'll just use it as a slave in case of accidents etc......so it's powerful but bulky and the mother board was recently renovated after spilling cleaning fluid all over it (yes, cleaning fluid, not any other kind of fluids you sick fucks might be thinking about!!! ;D ) and it's starting to get a bit unstable. Plus the replacement keyboard was never installed properly and is wonky, as well as the black coming off the shift and S keys, which pisses me off in the dark.....

Thing is, is it worth 875€?  :-\  The 512GB SSD and the one year's warranty is tempting. There are alternatives out there much cheaper but I've not seen one in Tallinn with that amount of disk space and I prefer to buy locally and I'd never in a gazillion years buy of some dodgy twat off Facebook Marketplace!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 03:50:20 pm by 24∗7 »

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5649 on: August 24, 2020, 03:59:39 pm »
what do you need the pro for?

I've been buying Airs since 2013 and for just like, everything, they're ace. I don't think I'd consider a pro unless my career took a swerve to intense graphics stuff but for that I'd want a desktop.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5650 on: August 24, 2020, 04:49:07 pm »
what do you need the pro for?

I've been buying Airs since 2013 and for just like, everything, they're ace. I don't think I'd consider a pro unless my career took a swerve to intense graphics stuff but for that I'd want a desktop.
I do a fair amount of video/graphics stuff - have been considering the air but am less certain about their a) storage capacity and b) robustness. Am just a dyed-in-the-wool MBP fan I guess ;)

Choice from that place is

https://mobipunkt.ee/en-macbook/preowned/macbook-air-133/100/3159 (for just 76 extra, I get the MBP, albeit 2 years older)

Or

https://mobipunkt.ee/en-macbook/preowned/macbook-air-133/100/3494 (which isn't in as good a condition as the MBP)

« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 04:53:49 pm by 24∗7 »

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5651 on: August 25, 2020, 09:50:20 am »
Storage?! get with the times Jim, use the clooooud 😂

If you're doing video then probs do need the Pro, but it's not something I've ever bothered with to know! I mean it looks a decent spec. I'd only be worried about stuff like battery life on an older machine. They might have replaced it, I'd want to see what condition it's in.

With the air, neither of those cos no retina, 2018+. There was some nonsense about keyboards there as well but I'm not sure what model it was.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5652 on: August 25, 2020, 09:53:48 am »
Storage?! get with the times Jim, use the clooooud 😂

If you're doing video then probs do need the Pro, but it's not something I've ever bothered with to know! I mean it looks a decent spec. I'd only be worried about stuff like battery life on an older machine. They might have replaced it, I'd want to see what condition it's in.

With the air, neither of those cos no retina, 2018+. There was some nonsense about keyboards there as well but I'm not sure what model it was.
Keyboards were 2016 onwards - I heard a rumour through a Mac Tech friend that they've started introducing better keyboards now - "First one with crap butterfly keysprings was the tiny style macbook, and I think that was 2015. A year or two later they all had that shit except for the macbook air that had the old type a while longer. They have gone back to the good kind of keyboard on their latest models I’ve been told, but the ports are still just usb-c all the way."

As for the cloud, no such fucking thing - it's just someone else's computer :lmao

I'll ask for a battery check - how do you know what's "good" and isn't when it comes to cycles?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5653 on: August 25, 2020, 10:36:41 am »
yeah, someone else's computer who does backups and looks after it all! ;D be arsed with backups, I've had time machine fuck me around more times than I can count losing backups, since I just did it all with the cloud and stop storing music and stuff it just makes things easier. All my dev stuff is in source control anyway and I'm used to that sort of setup.

Apple say that model has 1000 cycles, 5 years is a fair old time so I'd expect they have replaced it but if it's not an original part then you might not get that same level of cycles, you'd have to compare the ratings. It's only a concern if you plan on using it a lot unplugged.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5654 on: August 26, 2020, 01:29:12 pm »

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5655 on: August 26, 2020, 03:44:36 pm »
they're all SSD or Fusion so I wouldn't be concerned about slow drive speeds on them. In fact, looking more closely on the side by side on the apple website the only difference between the 2019 and 2020 21" is the fucking drives :D

I dunno, I've had this iMac since 2015 with a 2TB fusion and I haven't experienced slowdown or anything but I also have 1.9TB free! I dunno, it's what you think you'll need, external drives aren't expensive, adobe cloud is really good. I always buy the highest spec I can and upgrade the ram cos that's usually the biggest perf hit.

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5656 on: August 26, 2020, 04:24:12 pm »
they're all SSD or Fusion so I wouldn't be concerned about slow drive speeds on them. In fact, looking more closely on the side by side on the apple website the only difference between the 2019 and 2020 21" is the fucking drives :D

I dunno, I've had this iMac since 2015 with a 2TB fusion and I haven't experienced slowdown or anything but I also have 1.9TB free! I dunno, it's what you think you'll need, external drives aren't expensive, adobe cloud is really good. I always buy the highest spec I can and upgrade the ram cos that's usually the biggest perf hit.

And I suppose these iMac's have Thunderbolt as well, which makes it alot faster using external SSDs. At least that’s the case on my Mac Mini. I use the external for storage and the internal for software.

Regarding RAM; I think that’s upgradable on the iMac (small hatch at the back). RAM as part of the initial machine is usually really expensive, so I'd suggest buying the version with the least amount of RAM pre-installed and then adding more later on.
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5657 on: August 26, 2020, 05:02:59 pm »
Seems to be 8GB standard across the 21s. I haven’t on my current iMac but was very simple process on my last one.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5658 on: August 27, 2020, 09:54:50 am »
Anyone know if you can clean the anti-glare screen or is it beyond repair?

My screen looks similar to this:

Someone mentioned using rubbing alcohol but surely not?
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5659 on: August 27, 2020, 05:49:33 pm »
Take it in to a store if you can, surely if that's wearing off it's a manufacturing fault?

Offline Kloppo.GER

• Boys Pen
« Reply #5660 on: September 11, 2020, 11:09:28 am »
Always so complicated... I found this article very useful. Its in German but easily translated. https://www.hobbylux.de/yamaha-keyboard-test/

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5661 on: September 11, 2020, 08:12:37 pm »
What's best in terms of speed? 1TB Fusion drive or 256SSD?

I don't really notice a difference but if you want actual numbers then google ssd vs fusion benchmarks

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #5662 on: September 12, 2020, 07:47:42 pm »
my bloody trackpad is on it way out now, first my hard drive cable and now this, suppose i might as well do replace the battery while i do them 2

is it a difficult job to change the trackpad and are they expensive? im guessing apple do not sell genuine replacement parts? i need a hard drive cable,track pad and battery

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #5663 on: September 12, 2020, 11:20:19 pm »
my bloody trackpad is on it way out now, first my hard drive cable and now this, suppose i might as well do replace the battery while i do them 2

is it a difficult job to change the trackpad and are they expensive? im guessing apple do not sell genuine replacement parts? i need a hard drive cable,track pad and battery

https://www.thebookyard.com/
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #5664 on: September 13, 2020, 05:22:07 pm »
https://www.thebookyard.com/

Nice one cheers! i'm tempted to fix it and sell it and maybe get a Retina display one, but they are so expensive, any recommendations of models to get that won't cost a bomb? perhaps 2nd hand on eBay?

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #5665 on: September 25, 2020, 08:45:23 pm »
Nice one cheers! i'm tempted to fix it and sell it and maybe get a Retina display one, but they are so expensive, any recommendations of models to get that won't cost a bomb? perhaps 2nd hand on eBay?

Don't ask me, I hate the things. Stop being a poser and buy a lovely big Windows PC.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #5666 on: September 27, 2020, 01:27:52 am »
Don't ask me, I hate the things. Stop being a poser and buy a lovely big Windows PC.
Not a fan of windows prefer os

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5667 on: September 27, 2020, 09:47:39 am »

When my trackpad started failing on my old MacBook I opened it up to find that the battery was swelling ever so slightly and affecting the trackpad. Battery replacement sorted the trackpad issue.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #5668 on: September 27, 2020, 12:33:03 pm »
When my trackpad started failing on my old MacBook I opened it up to find that the battery was swelling ever so slightly and affecting the trackpad. Battery replacement sorted the trackpad issue.

oh it could be that because its said service battery for a while now haha

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5669 on: November 8, 2020, 02:09:48 pm »
What are the specs?
RAM, storage, graphics card?

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #5670 on: November 13, 2020, 11:12:26 pm »
Anyone know if you can clean the anti-glare screen or is it beyond repair?

My screen looks similar to this:

Someone mentioned using rubbing alcohol but surely not?

Not sure what model this is but I had it on mine.

Known issue with my A1502 and replaced within two days.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5671 on: November 14, 2020, 02:26:07 pm »
Big Sur is a bit nice.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5672 on: November 14, 2020, 03:02:46 pm »
Not sure what model this is but I had it on mine.

Known issue with my A1502 and replaced within two days.
That's the one I have to, did you have to replace the entries screen? How much did that cost?
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5673 on: November 14, 2020, 03:18:53 pm »
Big Sur is a bit nice.
I’ll wait for at least six months.
Not once has MacOS upgrade left my Adobe apps broken. With work from home I can’t risk. Time to suffer Apple’s annoying ‘Upgrade your OS’ notifications.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #5674 on: November 14, 2020, 08:28:37 pm »
That's the one I have to, did you have to replace the entries screen? How much did that cost?

Mine was covered under warranty.

I think it was just out actually but they honoured it as a manufacturing fault. They replace the whole top part so was lucky.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #5675 on: November 14, 2020, 08:36:25 pm »
Big Sur is a bit nice.

I was thinking of upgrading to one of the MacBook Air actually.

This looks great.

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5676 on: November 14, 2020, 10:46:06 pm »
I'm still using Mojave as I had some programs and plugins that wasn’t supported in Catalina at the time of release. Is there any particular reason I should upgrade from Mojave?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5677 on: November 15, 2020, 03:26:52 pm »
I’ll wait for at least six months.
Not once has MacOS upgrade left my Adobe apps broken. With work from home I can’t risk. Time to suffer Apple’s annoying ‘Upgrade your OS’ notifications.

Creative cloud updated all mine recently and then I haven't noticed any issues but I _don't_ use them for work so understand your caution!

I'm still using Mojave as I had some programs and plugins that wasn’t supported in Catalina at the time of release. Is there any particular reason I should upgrade from Mojave?

There's quite a lot of nice UI changes and upgrades to apps to bring over some stuff from iOS, makes it a more fluid experience across devices if you're fully apple.

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5678 on: November 22, 2020, 02:51:57 pm »
Suddenly the Macbook Air looks a viable option. Impressive benchmarks for the fan-less ultrabook with the new M1-chip. Hopefully Apple release another version next year with slightly thinner bezels.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5679 on: November 27, 2020, 11:04:35 pm »
Big Sur is a bit nice.
I'm new to Mac and have no experience with system upgrades, I Don't need my MacBook for work, I do have adobe sub though, is it normal to hold off for a few weeks and let any problems be sorted, or should I just download it now. any advice appreciated
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn