Author Topic: What Car Do You Own/Drive?  (Read 478302 times)

Online JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
Re: What Car Do You Own/Drive?
« Reply #5760 on: January 16, 2022, 09:58:04 pm »
Yeah May said it’s a great car. Old school. Bet it’s a hoot to drive

Used to own an R33 Skyline, and the GR Yaris is far more fun to drive on the road. Accessible and usable performance, residual on pot-holed, greasy road surfaces that we have in the UK for much of the year.

But it's also great as a daily, pottering around town, it's a pleasant place to be, even if you are stuck in traffic.

Not great if you need to carry more than two full-sized people regularly - the back seats are a bit cramped. The boot is small, but with the back seats down, it turns out into an AWD performance mini-van! Comes with a ten-year/100k miles warranty as long as you get it serviced according to Toyota's guidelines.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #5761 on: January 16, 2022, 10:28:19 pm »
I’d take an Aston over a 911 any day of the week
Still think they are the most stunning looking cars ever made. You made the right choice. It’s a great car.

And yes, with the top down it will make you feel a million dollars. Nothing wrong with that
You’ve worked hard and deserve a whatever success comes your way.

Enjoy it. Oh and record it in a long tunnel 😂

Fully agree.  I have a 911, as posted earlier in the thread, but would love an Aston.  Unfortunately, the nearest main dealer is 2 1/2 hours drive away and given their reliability reputation that’s a total no go.

The Porsche is tucked up for the winter at the moment as I took delivery of a crackin new M4 Comp x-drive just before Crimbo.  The thing is insanely fast and sticks to the road like shit to a blanket  ;D
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5762 on: January 17, 2022, 12:30:54 am »
Fully agree.  I have a 911, as posted earlier in the thread, but would love an Aston.  Unfortunately, the nearest main dealer is 2 1/2 hours drive away and given their reliability reputation that’s a total no go.

The Porsche is tucked up for the winter at the moment as I took delivery of a crackin new M4 Comp x-drive just before Crimbo.  The thing is insanely fast and sticks to the road like shit to a blanket  ;D

Nice. I went to look at an M3 but wanted the X drive and big wait. Ended up with the RS5. Love it. Not as much fun as the M3, but it keeps me safe with my limited driving abilities

Just had a clear bra put on to stop stone chips

Will post pictures when I can be arsed

Congrats on the M3
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 12:52:34 am by nuts100 »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #5764 on: February 3, 2022, 04:10:37 pm »
This is really interesting about future car technology. Have a listen to the end it's great.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5tZWdhcGhvbmUuZm0vUE1PNDQ0MjUyMzQ5OA/episode/OGU1ZDY3NjYtODQ0Ny0xMWVjLTgxODctYWJjYTRjZDUxNWNk?sa=X&ved=0CAUQkfYCahcKEwiwws6vwOP1AhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQCg&hl=en-GB

Thanks. Will listen to that. The self driving thing to my mind has the potential to change everything. I can see large fright hubs outside cities where long distance haulage goes from manufacturer to city before being broken down and delivered by humans driving city streets or even by drones. I also can see taxi type arrangements being more common, if you can just book an Uber 24 hours a day that can drive you around and cars don't have to stay with the person anymore. Plus back to one car per family. The family car can take Mum/Dad to work, then come back and take the kids to school, then come back and take Grandma/Grandad to the shops then reverse the trips in the afternoon.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5765 on: February 3, 2022, 07:14:47 pm »
Gone for an Audi Q2.  Setting out on a new career as a hairdresser..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5766 on: February 3, 2022, 07:50:37 pm »
Take no notice of the pricks T. My mate said it about my gorgeous grey A1, S line. Fuck them.
the Q2 might be my next car, when my premium bonds finally come in.

What colour is yours.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5767 on: February 3, 2022, 07:52:50 pm »
Take no notice of the pricks T. My mate said it about my gorgeous grey A1, S line. Fuck them.
the Q2 might be my next car, when my premium bonds finally come in.

What colour is yours.
Black …. ;D my own joke of course!

Handles really well for a car that’s higher off the ground, huge boot too.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5768 on: February 3, 2022, 08:08:33 pm »

The kids almost talked me into taking a chunk of my pension and buying an R8 last Saturday. One more pint of the brain damage stuff I was drinking and I might just have done it too.

Need to not mention cars to them when I've been drinking
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5769 on: February 3, 2022, 10:37:58 pm »

Audi's are great cars - good choice
As John C said  ;D

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5770 on: February 3, 2022, 10:38:42 pm »
The kids almost talked me into taking a chunk of my pension and buying an R8 last Saturday. One more pint of the brain damage stuff I was drinking and I might just have done it too.

Need to not mention cars to them when I've been drinking

Don't back down now  ;D

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5771 on: February 4, 2022, 08:09:38 am »
Don't back down now  ;D

Missus went "how fucking much for a car !!!!!", then followed up with "what use is a two seater?" I said its not like its going to lose any money, I can sell it for what I paid for it and the kids will love it.

My sober brain says don't be daft, its only a car.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5772 on: February 4, 2022, 03:43:47 pm »
Missus went "how fucking much for a car !!!!!", then followed up with "what use is a two seater?" I said its not like its going to lose any money, I can sell it for what I paid for it and the kids will love it.

My sober brain says don't be daft, its only a car.

Buy the RS6 - then she can't complain - kids will still love it and you can throw a push bike on the roof and get to the coast quicker. Plus you can tow your Yamaha or Kawasaki or whatever you have. Kids and wife can picnic whilst you fuck off down the coast on your bike singing "50 bobbies are after us and they don't know where we are"

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5773 on: February 4, 2022, 03:47:45 pm »
Why buy an expensive car?

??? ???

All a car needs to do is get you from A to B using as little fuel as possible.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5774 on: February 4, 2022, 04:21:42 pm »

??? ???

Cos it's people's hard earned cash and they can spend it how they like?

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5775 on: February 4, 2022, 04:22:30 pm »

:thumbup

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5776 on: February 4, 2022, 04:22:49 pm »
Buy the RS6 - then she can't complain - kids will still love it and you can throw a push bike on the roof and get to the coast quicker. Plus you can tow your Yamaha or Kawasaki or whatever you have. Kids and wife can picnic whilst you fuck off down the coast on your bike singing "50 bobbies are after us and they don't know where we are"

Stop it 😂

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5777 on: February 4, 2022, 04:37:43 pm »

This

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #5778 on: February 4, 2022, 04:57:17 pm »

??? ???

Why buy anything ever? That’s not just the cheapest functional version of it as possible??

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #5779 on: February 4, 2022, 05:20:22 pm »

??? ???

Totally fair point, however perspective changes depends on how much money you have. However you come by the money, be it hard earned or not. Driving the car you want and not the one you can afford are two different things. Same goes for everything else you buy. I didn't buy a particularly nice car until I was 51 so I agreed with the first point of view for quite a while.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5780 on: February 4, 2022, 05:42:02 pm »
Totally fair point, however perspective changes depends on how much money you have. However you come by the money, be it hard earned or not. Driving the car you want and not the one you can afford are two different things. Same goes for everything else you buy. I didn't buy a particularly nice car until I was 51 so I agreed with the first point of view for quite a while.

I paid over half my salary for a motorbike in 1995 and wondered what the fuck I'd done, but I bloody well enjoyed that bike ;D

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5781 on: February 4, 2022, 06:13:57 pm »
Why buy anything ever? That’s not just the cheapest functional version of it as possible??

True

As long as it does the job to the level required.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #5782 on: February 4, 2022, 06:14:47 pm »

??? ???

I think once you've boxed off the important things in your life, if you can afford it, enjoy your money because life is pretty short.

Some spend their money following a football club all over England and Europe. They could easily watch on telly instead though.

For me, if you can afford to follow your interests, then do so and enjoy them.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5783 on: February 7, 2022, 01:06:51 pm »

??? ???

I hereby ban you from using anything but the cheapest and most functional item for any given task from this point forward in your life.

We will be sending an inspector to your house at the end of this month. You must comply with the following rules:
- All watches must be made my Casio or Timex
- All food must be from Aldi or Lidl
- All clothes must have the tag George on them
- You must drive a car made by Lada
- Your thermostat must be set to no higher than 14C
- Your tv must be made by Dunlop
- all your shoes must be made by Dunlop
- you can only live in a mud hut 🛖
- you can only eat value baked beans from now on
- you can only eat Gala apples … if I see a Braeburn in sight you will be sent to gulag
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5784 on: February 7, 2022, 01:52:11 pm »

??? ???

Define expensive.
Some of the cheapest cars have some of the worst depreciation so total cost of ownership can end up being higher than a mre expensive car at outset.

I've had some nice cars in the past, but am less bothered now especially as I don't need to drive as much. But when I was doing lots of miles comfort and safety came into it as well as the enjoyment factor.

There is a definitely a section of the market that love the status of cars, but I also know a fair few people that are genuine petrolheads that get genuine enjoyment from nice cars.

Online JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #5785 on: February 7, 2022, 01:58:07 pm »
Utterly love my car, makes me smile every time I drive it. It wasn't cheap, but in the scheme of things it wasn't that expensive either. It's probably going to be the last petrol-engined car of its kind, so it was the last chance to buy one before they essentially become a thing of the past.

The interesting thing is that the money I've spent on buying the car seems to be well invested, as We Buy Any Car (and other similar sites) are offering me the same as I paid for it after nearly 6,000 miles on the clock!  How's that for value for money!
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #5786 on: February 7, 2022, 04:43:34 pm »

??? ???

Why buy more than one set of clothes?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5787 on: February 7, 2022, 04:47:41 pm »
Why buy more than one set of clothes?
You still Subaru?
W

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #5788 on: February 7, 2022, 06:01:10 pm »

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5789 on: February 8, 2022, 02:28:19 pm »
Bought my 1st car at the age of 34 just after Christmas. (For the record I used to have a company car for 12 months with one of my old jobs and my wife has a car that I drive). a 53 plate Fiesta for just over a grand, absolutely love it! Serviced it just after the new year and replaced the spark plugs, oil, oil filter and air filter and it runs like new. Just needs some TLC on the inside, the rearview mirror came off in my hand last week  ;D and it needs some new mats and bits

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5790 on: February 9, 2022, 02:03:26 am »
Installed with a clear bra - you can just make it out

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #5791 on: February 13, 2022, 09:28:56 pm »

That's simply a thing of beauty!!  :scarf

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5792 on: February 15, 2022, 06:33:01 pm »
Just had a cursory check this morning and my car is currently worth ~15% more than I paid for it 18 months ago and before I put 25k more miles on it.

Wild.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5793 on: February 16, 2022, 03:57:55 pm »
Found out today that work is getting a Hydrogen powered truck this year to trial. I wanna have a go of that

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #5794 on: February 16, 2022, 04:13:07 pm »
Our company keeps umming and erring as to whether they're gonna buy a load of Teslas for the staff. I've been thinking for a while about getting a new car, I'm currently still working from home so have barely driven for two years, but that's coming to an end shortly. I've got a very old Volvo V40 that I plan on running into the ground, but honestly I'd be surprised if I got another year out of it.

What do people do to reconcile themselves with the downsides of a PCP deal? Every time I look at the offers the monthly and the thought of the down payment essentially being lost just grates with me.

The other alternative is something used in the £6k - £10k bracket, that's fun to drive, fairly comfortable and reliable. Car prices are mad these days and I haven't got £25k+ plus to drop on even fairly basic cars.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #5795 on: February 16, 2022, 05:54:13 pm »
Been going back through pages and saw this earlier. Beautiful car.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5796 on: February 16, 2022, 06:17:34 pm »
Our company keeps umming and erring as to whether they're gonna buy a load of Teslas for the staff. I've been thinking for a while about getting a new car, I'm currently still working from home so have barely driven for two years, but that's coming to an end shortly. I've got a very old Volvo V40 that I plan on running into the ground, but honestly I'd be surprised if I got another year out of it.

What do people do to reconcile themselves with the downsides of a PCP deal? Every time I look at the offers the monthly and the thought of the down payment essentially being lost just grates with me.

The other alternative is something used in the £6k - £10k bracket, that's fun to drive, fairly comfortable and reliable. Car prices are mad these days and I haven't got £25k+ plus to drop on even fairly basic cars.

I'm not someone who has ever been interested in having a shiny new car, so things like PCP just do not appeal to me. I really don't see the point in for example spending nearly £11k over 3 years, with a 6,000 mile limit, for a Ford Focus and then either swap it for a new car, give it back or buy it outright. I'd much rather spend up to £10k on a decent car and keep it for 10 years.

Had my X Type for 5 years now, it cost her Dad £6300 (it was a crimbo prezzie) and its worth still around £4000 to £4500 and has cost under £300 in repairs, one water pump, a brake caliper and a couple of wheel bearings. At some point I might p-ex it for an XF, I'd love an XJ Autobiography, but they are still £34k

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5797 on: February 16, 2022, 06:38:37 pm »
Found out today that work is getting a Hydrogen powered truck this year to trial. I wanna have a go of that
I'd be really interested in anything you find out about that Rob.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5798 on: February 16, 2022, 07:15:30 pm »
Where do you get hydrogen from?

Storing it is always the problem, but probably not so much of an issue with a truck.  There are fundamental problems with the longevity of the proton exchange membranes in hydrogen fuel cells, it will be interesting to see how much maintenance it will need.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 07:33:35 pm by TepidT2O »
W

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5799 on: February 17, 2022, 08:39:16 am »
I'd be really interested in anything you find out about that Rob.

I'll keep you updated.

Where do you get hydrogen from?

Storing it is always the problem, but probably not so much of an issue with a truck.  There are fundamental problems with the longevity of the proton exchange membranes in hydrogen fuel cells, it will be interesting to see how much maintenance it will need.

Only got told yesterday by the CEO, so no idea how its going to work. They are switching to bio-diesel for all the units soon, as that has had a successful trial, but obviously looking to the future. Electric is obviously no good for HGV's, the unit and trailer when empty weighs about 14 tonnes, if I'm carrying beer then its just under 40,000 kg. The hydrogen is going to have to have a good range though, the LNG trucks were shite and still had to run on diesel. My longest run in a day is Livingston and back which is 456 miles, can add another 10 or so if I have to collect from Coke in East Kilbride.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 08:42:38 am by rob1966 »