Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD  (Read 3123171 times)

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - END GAME
« Reply #13320 on: January 24, 2022, 02:52:28 pm »
So ok, Mbappe and Salah have now paid for themselves. What happens when Virgil or Trent knock on the door and say why some newbie in the team is earning almost 3 times what they earn a week? Are we upping Trent's Instagram game so he brings in even more a year?

Pay Mbappe a salary that is officially within the same sort of range as our highest paid, but with a mammoth signing-on fee (in lieu of a transfer fee) that is payable over the course of his contract.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13321 on: January 24, 2022, 02:54:09 pm »
Pay Mbappe a salary that is officially within the same sort of range as our highest paid, but with a mammoth signing-on fee (in lieu of a transfer fee) that is payable over the course of his contract.

No agent worth his or her salt is going to be fooled like this. Effectively its still the same money going out the club and agents love quoting the size of the deal, be it a 10, 20, 30m etc. contract. They would know that effectively, over the course of a deal, Mbappe is earning loads more than their client.

If at my work someone double over the course of a few years that I got for the same job but instead got it in a lump sum at the start, I would know what was going on. Anyone would.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13322 on: January 24, 2022, 02:54:16 pm »
Tell them that Mbappe actually pays us to play via Nike and to get that good

Offline FowlerLegend

• Kopite
« Reply #13323 on: January 24, 2022, 02:55:00 pm »
So ok, Mbappe and Salah have now paid for themselves. What happens when Virgil or Trent knock on the door and say why some newbie in the team is earning almost 3 times what they earn a week? Are we upping Trent's Instagram game so he brings in even more a year?
Won't he do that when Mo signs a new contract anyway? Otherwise won't the club tell him that "he makes us X and is a World Class talent, so we pay him y".

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13324 on: January 24, 2022, 02:57:28 pm »
Won't he do that when Mo signs a new contract anyway? Otherwise won't the club tell him that "he makes us X and is a World Class talent, so we pay him y".

Yes, which is one of the primary reasons (reportedly anyway) why this contract is a bit of an issue. There are other factors like Salah's age and stuff, but ultimately wage inflation is a thing.

But at least Salah has proven it in this team. Mbappe hasn't and isn't even better than Salah.

Offline FowlerLegend

• Kopite
« Reply #13325 on: January 24, 2022, 02:58:29 pm »
I'm sorry, but I don't see how Mbappe guarantees us at least £26m a year extra when we're already tied in to long contracts for our main sponsorship avenues. That's assuming it'd only be £500,000 a week anyway. Could well be higher just for a basic salary and he'd want gigantic bonuses for goals and winning I'd guess. We already qualify for the Champions League every year and usually get far, so that's not a point either. We would not be making money having him at Liverpool.
I think it would be based on the additional deals and the increased amount they could get from current deals. Who knows how much that would be exactly 
If they felt they wouldn't make any more though I imagine they wouldn't sign him.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #13326 on: January 24, 2022, 03:00:13 pm »
No agent worth his or her salt is going to be fooled like this. Effectively its still the same money going out the club and agents love quoting the size of the deal, be it a 10, 20, 30m etc. contract. They would know that effectively, over the course of a deal, Mbappe is earning loads more than their client.

If at my work someone double over the course of a few years that I got for the same job but instead got it in a lump sum at the start, I would know what was going on. Anyone would.

I think players realise that anyone joining on a free (especially if they're an in-demand, top-tier player) will receive a hefty signing bonus. I think the reaction would be far more accepting than you and others make out.

If we gave Jesse Lingard a £50m signing bonus plus £300k/week, sure, the players would be hammering down the boardroom door. But this is Mbappe. A player that's likely going to improve all their chances of landing silverware.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13327 on: January 24, 2022, 03:05:10 pm »

I think players realise that anyone joining on a free (especially if they're an in-demand, top-tier player) will receive a hefty signing bonus. I think the reaction would be far more accepting than you and others make out.

If we gave Jesse Lingard a £50m signing bonus plus £300k/week, sure, the players would be hammering down the boardroom door. But this is Mbappe. A player that's likely going to improve all their chances of landing silverware.

They may do, but Trent was almost effectively free and based on what Madrid want to pay Mbappe, he would be on less than a 1/3rd. I would find it hard to think that would be accepted readily.

Also if you take that we pay for transfers over the length of a contract then its still not like the cost of purchase for a player is that high. Mane cost £30m 5 or 6 years ago so he could say his next contract is effectively him resigning again for the club on a 'free', as he has paid back that initial transfer cost.

Offline FowlerLegend

• Kopite
« Reply #13328 on: January 24, 2022, 03:05:35 pm »
Yes, which is one of the primary reasons (reportedly anyway) why this contract is a bit of an issue. There are other factors like Salah's age and stuff, but ultimately wage inflation is a thing.

But at least Salah has proven it in this team. Mbappe hasn't and isn't even better than Salah.
I dont doubt it is. Wage disparity has been in the game probably always and I am sure it is consideration for them. Whether it's the stumbling block or whether it's nothing to do with the stumbling block who knows.

Mo has his pro's and his cons, as does Mbappe. I don't really buy the fact Mbappe is an outsider as causing a huge issue. He is World Cup Winner, World Cup final scorer, young, massive potential both on and off the pitch, probable successor to Ronaldo and Messi. I am sure from a football point if view the players would be ecstatic. How much would he save us on fees and wages on players desperate to join and play alongside him? How many players forced through moves to play with Messi?

The finances are quite complex but sadly I think it will probably be RM's issue not ours.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #13329 on: January 24, 2022, 03:08:55 pm »
Well, you can't say that Real Madrid can afford Mbappe because they haven't been spending the last couple of years, but we can't afford him because of the pandemic. You also can't say that we can't afford Mbappe because we are spending £80 million on the stadium upgrade, at the same time when Real Madrid are spending £700 million on the ongoing Bernabeu upgrade. Like I said, it is double standards ;)

It IS double standards because no bank in Spain will foreclose on Real Madrid. If they need to they will access hundreds of millions of Euros on credit. That is something we can't or won't do.

Also, I think they have more favourable terms in the Spanish TV deal.

Anyway, does Mbappé not fancy it there any more because Zidane has gone?
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13330 on: January 24, 2022, 03:13:10 pm »

Not only their chances of winning silverware. Mbappe on the team would seriously improve their chances of getting their own bonuses. In the case of Virgil, that is over £100,000 per week, on top of his guaranteed £200,000. I am sure Virgil and his agent would cry all the way to the bank if we do sign Mbappe ...

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13331 on: January 24, 2022, 03:18:56 pm »
It IS double standards because no bank in Spain will foreclose on Real Madrid. If they need to they will access hundreds of millions of Euros on credit. That is something we can't or won't do.

Also, I think they have more favourable terms in the Spanish TV deal.

Anyway, does Mbappé not fancy it there any more because Zidane has gone?

Even Real Madrid and Barcelona are no longer untouchable. Barcelona were practically forced by La Liga to release Messi last summer, because their finances didn't add up, even though they didn't have any problems securing new loans.

And yes, Zidane leaving Real Madrid works in our favor ...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 03:32:33 pm by PeterTheRed »

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13332 on: January 24, 2022, 03:22:33 pm »
I actually don't want to sign Mbappé, he's a bit of a vulgar signing for how we operate. And I'd prefer we develop younger players, or our own.

But.....it would be extremely funny because the amount of people on here who've said "We're not signing Mbappé" numerous times, it's almost a mantra....I'd like to see them all eat humble pie and their hats. And it would prove once and for all, that all of us know precisely...

Nothing :)

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13333 on: January 24, 2022, 03:23:23 pm »
I'll do a Samie... ;D

https://twitter.com/KopWorld/status/1485559237594030087

@kopworld
Tchouameni is done for the summer Thumbs up
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13334 on: January 24, 2022, 03:25:24 pm »
I'll do a Samie... ;D

Don't

Tchouameni broken hearts in this thread already.

*your line, Roy I think anyway

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13335 on: January 24, 2022, 03:27:12 pm »
I reckon it won't be a million miles from the truth that.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13336 on: January 24, 2022, 03:31:19 pm »
I'll do a Samie... ;D

It would be great if true. Great talent, and adding another young French player after Konate certanly won't hurt us ;)

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13337 on: January 24, 2022, 03:32:44 pm »
Lets hope so- it was around this time last year that Konate was really kicking off as our target so we should have done the groundwork with the player by now.

I think Tchouameni is interesting as we don't normally go for players in high demand to avoid potential bidding wars. Does he have a release clause? I think he would be ideal for us

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13338 on: January 24, 2022, 03:39:55 pm »
I actually don't want to sign Mbappé, he's a bit of a vulgar signing for how we operate. And I'd prefer we develop younger players, or our own.

But.....it would be extremely funny because the amount of people on here who've said "We're not signing Mbappé" numerous times, it's almost a mantra....I'd like to see them all eat humble pie and their hats. And it would prove once and for all, that all of us know precisely...

Nothing :)

I understand what you are saying. Personally, I would be perfectly satisfied if we end up with players like Nkunku and Tchouameni this summer, but so many people turning the "We are not signing Mbappe" into a mantra is not in line with our status as a club. We have our way of doing things, and it is a good way, but that doesn't means we are broke or unambitious. We can afford Mbappe. Will we sign him, is a completely different question ...

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13339 on: January 24, 2022, 03:49:19 pm »

[/quote]
I'll do a Samie... ;D

You're playing a dangerous game doing "A Samie" mate. I hope you're prepared.

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #13340 on: January 24, 2022, 03:52:34 pm »
I'll do a Samie... ;D

Haha quite a big statement that isn't it, shame that I have absolutely no confidence in it being remotely true

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13341 on: January 24, 2022, 03:53:53 pm »

You're playing a dangerous game doing "A Samie" mate. I hope you're prepared.

Fake it till you make it, that's what I say!

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13342 on: January 24, 2022, 04:01:17 pm »
Talk of Mbappe seems too far fetched. I understand the arguments being constructed, as we would like it to happen, but it seems out of reach. What will it do to the wage structure and how much will other players want? We often answer that question by saying just give him a big signing on bonus, and pay him in keeping with the upper wage structure… as though the signing bonus didn’t happen and others won’t want a pay rise.

I could see the sort of summer where we signed say, Tchoumeni, Nkunku/David, and Carvalho. Outgoing anywhere between 80-100M, more than we normally do, but it still seems doable.

Depending on how deep the departure list goes, I could see us adding another good player to the three mentioned.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #13343 on: January 24, 2022, 04:03:02 pm »
Haha quite a big statement that isn't it, shame that I have absolutely no confidence in it being remotely true

as the replies to that tweet point out, same chancer had Bruno Fernandes to Liverpool as being done as well  :P

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #13344 on: January 24, 2022, 04:03:57 pm »
I'll do a Samie... ;D

Can confirm, I live opposite the airport and I saw him getting in a van through my binoculars.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13345 on: January 24, 2022, 04:11:43 pm »
Lets hope so- it was around this time last year that Konate was really kicking off as our target so we should have done the groundwork with the player by now.

I think Tchouameni is interesting as we don't normally go for players in high demand to avoid potential bidding wars. Does he have a release clause? I think he would be ideal for us
well we got Fabinho off Monaco for 40m.

He was probably even more highly rated than Tchouameni considering how he performed in the CL.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #13346 on: January 24, 2022, 04:12:00 pm »
Peter, you are insane if you think Liverpool will increase it's commercial revenue to the extent that it will cover Mbappe's wages.

And having him guarantees nothing.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13347 on: January 24, 2022, 04:23:12 pm »
With regard to franchise players (ugh!) I should point out that if Messi’s commercial revenue made him a cash cow for Barcelona, why did they have so much trouble structuring a new deal for him? If he was their franchise player and he paid for himself, how come they couldn’t get it done and he ended up at PSG?

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13348 on: January 24, 2022, 04:25:04 pm »
Talk of Mbappe seems too far fetched. I understand the arguments being constructed, as we would like it to happen, but it seems out of reach. What will it do to the wage structure and how much will other players want? We often answer that question by saying just give him a big signing on bonus, and pay him in keeping with the upper wage structure… as though the signing bonus didn’t happen and others won’t want a pay rise.

None of us really knows how these deals for the very top players in the World work. All we know is that things like transfer fees, signing-on fees, agent fees, wages, bonuses and image rights exist. But how do these things are really sorted out, especially when it comes to the very top players, none of us really knows.

Do you really think that players actually know how much exactly other players are earning? Do you really think that agents actually know what other agents' clients are earning? It is a guessing and bluffing game, fueled by supply and demand. These contracts are being prepared in a much more complicated way that we could ever imagine, with hundreds of articles and clauses that we can't even imagine.

Therefore, lets leave the money issues to the money-men. We are a very good run club, and if the suits decide that Mbappe is a feasible and sustainable signing, then we will sign him. If they decide that he is not, we will sign someone else ...

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #13349 on: January 24, 2022, 04:28:46 pm »
Can confirm, I live opposite the airport and I saw him getting in a van through my binoculars.

All the confirmation I need anyway

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13350 on: January 24, 2022, 04:31:51 pm »
With regard to franchise players (ugh!) I should point out that if Messi’s commercial revenue made him a cash cow for Barcelona, why did they have so much trouble structuring a new deal for him? If he was their franchise player and he paid for himself, how come they couldn’t get it done and he ended up at PSG?

Because they couldn't get under the salary cap imposed by La Liga ...

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/soccer/news/why-did-lionel-messi-leave-barcelona-explain-what-happened/1dwtnwr31kcox1qki0fueupe64

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #13351 on: January 24, 2022, 04:33:25 pm »
Because they couldn't get under the salary cap imposed by La Liga ...

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/soccer/news/why-did-lionel-messi-leave-barcelona-explain-what-happened/1dwtnwr31kcox1qki0fueupe64

But the question is why didn't the revenue that Messi brought in balance out his wages?  The salary cap in La Liga is based on revenue.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13352 on: January 24, 2022, 04:41:29 pm »
But the question is why didn't the revenue that Messi brought in balance out his wages?  The salary cap in La Liga is based on revenue.

Messi's wages were never the problem. The high wages of Coutinho, Griezmann, Dembele  and so many other poor signings were the problem. You do realize that Coutinho was on a basic £250,000 per week at Barcelona, and Griezmann was on a basic £320,000 per week, plus the bonuses?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #13353 on: January 24, 2022, 04:43:26 pm »
Messi's wages were never the problem. The high wages of Coutinho, Griezmann, Dembele  and so many other poor signings were the problem. You do realize that Coutinho was on a basic £250,000 per week at Barcelona, and Griezmann was on a basic £320,000 per week, plus the bonuses?

Sure, but the wages for those players were so ridiculous because they were given them because of the incredibly high wage ceiling caused by Messi being on crazy money.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13354 on: January 24, 2022, 04:46:56 pm »
Sure, but the wages for those players were so ridiculous because they were given them because of the incredibly high wage ceiling caused by Messi being on crazy money.

Not really. They were given to them because Barcelona wanted to attract them from other established clubs as established players. Messi's wages had nothing to do with their wages ...

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #13355 on: January 24, 2022, 04:48:01 pm »
Not really. They were given to them because Barcelona wanted to attract them from other established clubs as established players. Messi's wages had nothing to do with their wages ...

So why is de Jong on such an insane wage too?

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13356 on: January 24, 2022, 04:49:40 pm »
So why is de Jong on such an insane wage too?

Because every big club in Europe was after him?

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13357 on: January 24, 2022, 04:50:52 pm »
None of us really knows how these deals for the very top players in the World work. All we know is that things like transfer fees, signing-on fees, agent fees, wages, bonuses and image rights exist. But how do these things are really sorted out, especially when it comes to the very top players, none of us really knows.

Do you really think that players actually know how much exactly other players are earning? Do you really think that agents actually know what other agents' clients are earning? It is a guessing and bluffing game, fueled by supply and demand. These contracts are being prepared in a much more complicated way that we could ever imagine, with hundreds of articles and clauses that we can't even imagine.

Therefore, lets leave the money issues to the money-men. We are a very good run club, and if the suits decide that Mbappe is a feasible and sustainable signing, then we will sign him. If they decide that he is not, we will sign someone else ...

Of course they do. People talk about salaries and bonuses with friends and close colleagues in every line of work. There was an article over the weekend about Ashley Cole where you could see that some players were actively boasting about their earnings during a game as a way to wind people up.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #13358 on: January 24, 2022, 04:51:34 pm »
Because every big club in Europe was after him?

Do you think those players you've listed would've asked for that much in wages had Messi been on something like £300k?

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13359 on: January 24, 2022, 04:53:20 pm »

Genuinely one of the most insane posts I've seen from you. Which makes it remarkable.