Author Topic: NBA Discussion  (Read 614125 times)

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
Re: NBA Season 2015-16 Discussion
« Reply #360 on: February 7, 2016, 03:22:24 am »
When are they going to get a decent coach?

I agree, Donovan was supposed to be "the next big thing" in coaching, but clearly not working.
I forgot the count but i think they allowed 100+ points to opponents whenever i watched them this year and Donovan was brought for 'defense". He is clearly no Bradley Stevens.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #361 on: February 7, 2016, 03:24:26 am »
Bulls lose to T.wolves, 12-0 run to lose the game, missing 7 shots.

At this speed, I won't be surprised if Bulls will miss the play-off's. Who is running that franchise, they really thought Thibs was the problem for God's sake?
« Last Edit: February 7, 2016, 03:28:40 am by elsewhere »

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #362 on: February 7, 2016, 04:16:32 am »

When are they going to get a decent coach?

What is Tracey Neville up to these days?  ;) Never see her on the sidelines with her brothers.

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #363 on: February 7, 2016, 04:19:12 am »
Bulls lose to T.wolves, 12-0 run to lose the game, missing 7 shots.

At this speed, I won't be surprised if Bulls will miss the play-off's. Who is running that franchise, they really thought Thibs was the problem for God's sake?

Another overhyped college coaching hire fizzling out.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Online Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: February 8, 2016, 05:22:14 pm »
Derek Fisher has been fired.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #365 on: February 8, 2016, 05:22:23 pm »

Knicks fire Fisher.

‏@dennisrodman

Hey @PhilJackson11 @nyknicks, I have a pretty decent resume on the court and I can coach; and I'm available. Call me. @nba

:D

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #366 on: February 10, 2016, 04:19:29 am »
Marc Gasol with broken foot, out indefinitely. what a blow for Memphis, and now they can't even tank for a pick, already won 30 games.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #367 on: February 10, 2016, 06:41:11 pm »
Derek Fisher has been fired.

Finally! Biggest mistake over our last two seasons was bringing in Fisher. Horrible at late game tactics, timing of subs, and player rotation. Was a slick two-faced player that over hyped his own skills when he was a player, and was a replica as a coach. He probably won't be too concerned, his payoff should do him well and I doubt we'll see him coaching anywhere in the NBA.

As long as we don't bring in Jackson, every other candidate will be a step up. Obviously, Jeff Van Gundy is the sentimental choice, but I'm not sure Jackson will move for him. I wouldn't be surprised if he waited until the summer before deciding on a coach. Our last 12 games has decimated our Playoff hopes, and it might make more sense to see the available players, and coaches, during the summer period.

All in all, a fantastic move for the Knicks, and a step in the right direction. You can't always avoid the occasional blunder, so cutting your losses and moving on ASAP shows the right mentality from the Knicks.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #368 on: February 13, 2016, 01:59:50 am »
The coverage Kobe got for his first dunk (!!!!) of the season is hilarious.

A fan has ranked & edited together a highlight reel consisting of the 100 greatest dunks in his twenty year career.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/sEmA09jRGxU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/sEmA09jRGxU</a>

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #369 on: February 14, 2016, 04:54:10 am »

Aaron Gordon.

Strongly disagree with the judging in the dunk contest. Gordon's flight through the air looked effortless while he was lounging in a recliner.

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: February 14, 2016, 07:05:39 am »
Strongly disagree with the judging in the dunk contest. Gordon's flight through the air looked effortless while he was lounging in a recliner.

Agreed, Gordon got robbed.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: February 14, 2016, 09:02:49 am »
Special dunk contest, agree that Gordon should've won it. Also, do any of you hate the nba.com website now? It's fucking shite!

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: February 14, 2016, 09:11:58 am »
Gordon should have won it. Great contest anyway.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: February 14, 2016, 12:48:04 pm »
Special dunk contest, agree that Gordon should've won it. Also, do any of you hate the nba.com website now? It's fucking shite!

Thought I was the only one!
No idea why they changed it, the older format was easier to navigate. The new site just feels like it was configured solely for smartphones.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: February 14, 2016, 12:50:20 pm »
Thought I was the only one!
No idea why they changed it, the older format was easier to navigate. The new site just feels like it was configured solely for smartphones.

I absolutely hate it, the pages are so slow to load.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: February 14, 2016, 01:05:37 pm »
Its funny because I was in the camp of people saying the 3-point contest was so much better...even though I still think it is better and has better players involved. The Dunk contest had a renaissance last night...the creativity was splendid.

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: February 15, 2016, 07:50:40 pm »
So the Clippers are trying to get rid of Griffin... According to ESPN, they offered him and Stephenson to Denver for Jokic, Farried, Gallinari and Barton but were turned down. Interesting. The Timberwolves put Rubio on the trade market too.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: February 15, 2016, 09:59:00 pm »
So the Clippers are trying to get rid of Griffin... According to ESPN, they offered him and Stephenson to Denver for Jokic, Farried, Gallinari and Barton but were turned down. Interesting. The Timberwolves put Rubio on the trade market too.
No way Denver turn that down.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: February 15, 2016, 10:01:41 pm »
Didn't expect the Clippers to actively look to ship Griffin, though I did hear about him being disciplined for something.

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: February 18, 2016, 02:17:28 pm »
The Kings are aggresively pursuing Pau Gasol, offering first-round pick, Koufos and McLemore.

Dwight Howarf is definitely leaving Houston before the deadline, Houston are desperate to offload him. Very smart move that. Charlotte had an offer turned down (Al Jefferson and Hawes for him).

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: February 21, 2016, 11:09:19 pm »
Quite some performance from Anthony Davis. 59 points and 20 rebounds.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: February 22, 2016, 12:19:09 am »
Looks like noone wanted big trade because they are all waiting for the summer when the likes of Durant, DeRozan,Howard,Horford,Conley are free agents

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #382 on: February 22, 2016, 01:26:14 am »
Looks like noone wanted big trade because they are all waiting for the summer when the likes of Durant, DeRozan,Howard,Horford,Conley are free agents

It'll be interesting to see where those players end up. I think DeRozan will stay, Howard's going and Durant to GSW wouldn't really be fair on the rest of the league.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: February 22, 2016, 08:53:52 am »
According to Woj, Durant wants to win immediately so GS seems very possible, few other elite teams have the cap space to absorb his contract.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #384 on: February 22, 2016, 11:24:49 am »
If Durant ends up with GS, it would be an even worse and unfair situation situation (for the rest of the teams) that it is now with Barca's front 3.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: February 22, 2016, 01:53:15 pm »
Quite some performance from Anthony Davis. 59 points and 20 rebounds.

I thought it was a typo, went and watched the footage just to confirm. What a beastly scoreline!
59 points and only 6 were from three pointers, and 10 from free throws. That's 43 points from midrange and in the zone. I've never seen the likes of that, especially from a power forward. I know Barkley put up some points around the 40 point 20 rebound zone, and had a 50+ point game in a playoff run back in his Phoenix days, but 59? And against a Van Gundy team with Drummon patrolling the zone? That's gotta be the best performance of the season, and I'd argue one of the best over the last decade. Sadly, he's another fantastic player wasted on a horrible team. I'm still bummed he signed a long term deal without an opt out clause.

If Durant ends up with GS, it would be an even worse and unfair situation situation (for the rest of the teams) that it is now with Barca's front 3.

Jeez, overreacting are we. They said the same when LeBron sifted to Miami with Bosh, and further back when Barkley and Pippen shifted to Houston to play alongside Drexler and Hakeem. Great players don't always fit together, especially as what made them great was the ball in their hands. When the Warriors are being mentioned, it's always Curry that's highlighted as the key player, but I don't think he is. He's incredibly fortunate to play with skilled players that are comfortable playing 2nd banana to him, and coached by a crew that enable him to express himself in the way he does. On another team, Curry might have never evolved to be the Curry you see today. He's a point guard, that shoots almost 20 shots per game, 10 of them from the three point line! That's taboo territory right there. Generally, the point facilitates for his teammates, and you'd have to go back to Iverson to see another point shoot so much (though Iverson was a horrible shooter), and assists so little.

And it's not as if Curry is surrounded by scrubs, Thompson could easily average 28+ points per game on another team, his game is wonderful to watch, with very smart movement, and he's an assassin from almost anywhere from the three point line inwards. Harrison Barnes is as polished 3&D player as you'll find in the league, and I'm probably criminally underrating him using that tag, but he could average 18+ points starting on another team. Igoudala is averaging 7 points per game. Not because he's become a bit part veteran that's being wisely played at his maximum lvl, but because he's a team first player that has sacrificed shots, points, glamour, to play his role and gain team success. And then you have Draymond Green, the most important player on the Warriors roster, a player that provides intangibles that we still haven't found ways to measure and value, and the rare gem in the current NBA era that absolutely will do anything to benefit the team (I'd argue he's more of a team player than Duncan, that's how highly I respect Green's personality and team ethic).

And lest we forget, there have been great shooters in the NBA, and plenty of fantastic guards, but Curry has gotten the greenlight to shoot from anywhere, at anytime, even outside of the play. Not even Jordan had that sort of freedom. You have to be an extreme outside-of-the-box coaching team to allow something new to come into the game, and Curry's freedom, which is what enables him to be who he is, would have been unacceptable on most teams in any era. I'd argue, it would have been unacceptable on any team in any era, but one never knows. But certainly, Curry fell into the right team, with the right selfless players, and the a coaching team brave enough to release the shackles.

Now where is Durant going to fit into all this? He doesn't offer that much defensively (downgrade over Barnes), and though he could manage as a glorified spot up shooter waiting in the shadows for Curry to remember him, would that be enough for him. Except, there isn't enough of the ball to go around and make everyone happy, and Durant can't play the point forward position as he isn't the best passer off the double team (he averages 3.6 assists per game in his career), so Draymond Green would continue to play as the point guard of the team (or point forward). It's one thing for Green, Igoudala,Barnes, and Thompson, to give up shots and points for Curry (remember, this is their job, giving up shots affects their stats and their potential salary discussions), but to give up even more for Durant would really be asking a lot from them. Durant averages 19 shots per game, just a little less than Curry, and the average team puts up around 86-89 shots per game. Are they both going to give up shots? Considering they're both MVP candidates, and this is Curry's team, how would they mesh? How would smallball work with Durant as the PF? Which players would they lose in order to bring in Durant?

I can't recall two MVP candidates playing on the same time, possibly Magic and Kareem, but Magic was a point, team first, player so they would have meshed well. Not sure how well Curry and Durant mesh, in skills and in personality. So I'm a bit iffy with the trade rumours, and if it does work out, I'll see it as a step backwards for the Warriors.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: February 22, 2016, 02:03:57 pm »
I thought it was a typo, went and watched the footage just to confirm. What a beastly scoreline!
59 points and only 6 were from three pointers, and 10 from free throws. That's 43 points from midrange and in the zone. I've never seen the likes of that, especially from a power forward. I know Barkley put up some points around the 40 point 20 rebound zone, and had a 50+ point game in a playoff run back in his Phoenix days, but 59? And against a Van Gundy team with Drummon patrolling the zone? That's gotta be the best performance of the season, and I'd argue one of the best over the last decade. Sadly, he's another fantastic player wasted on a horrible team. I'm still bummed he signed a long term deal without an opt out clause.

Heck of a talent is AD, and a true 2 way player who impacts the game at both ends of the floor. He scored more than half of the Pelicans' points last night and went 24-34. I'm sure I read that only Shaq has had a 50 point and 20 rebound night in the past half a century. 

Offline frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #387 on: February 23, 2016, 01:42:20 am »
Heck of a talent is AD, and a true 2 way player who impacts the game at both ends of the floor. He scored more than half of the Pelicans' points last night and went 24-34. I'm sure I read that only Shaq has had a 50 point and 20 rebound night in the past half a century. 

Webber did aswell, but Davis was efficient. Hope he gets the chance to be surrounded by championship quality players at somepoint.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #388 on: February 23, 2016, 02:40:32 am »

Jeez, overreacting are we. They said the same when LeBron sifted to Miami with Bosh, and further back when Barkley and Pippen shifted to Houston to play alongside Drexler and Hakeem. Great players don't always fit together, especially as what made them great was the ball in their hands. When the Warriors are being mentioned, it's always Curry that's highlighted as the key player, but I don't think he is. He's incredibly fortunate to play with skilled players that are comfortable playing 2nd banana to him, and coached by a crew that enable him to express himself in the way he does. On another team, Curry might have never evolved to be the Curry you see today. He's a point guard, that shoots almost 20 shots per game, 10 of them from the three point line! That's taboo territory right there. Generally, the point facilitates for his teammates, and you'd have to go back to Iverson to see another point shoot so much (though Iverson was a horrible shooter), and assists so little.

And it's not as if Curry is surrounded by scrubs, Thompson could easily average 28+ points per game on another team, his game is wonderful to watch, with very smart movement, and he's an assassin from almost anywhere from the three point line inwards. Harrison Barnes is as polished 3&D player as you'll find in the league, and I'm probably criminally underrating him using that tag, but he could average 18+ points starting on another team. Igoudala is averaging 7 points per game. Not because he's become a bit part veteran that's being wisely played at his maximum lvl, but because he's a team first player that has sacrificed shots, points, glamour, to play his role and gain team success. And then you have Draymond Green, the most important player on the Warriors roster, a player that provides intangibles that we still haven't found ways to measure and value, and the rare gem in the current NBA era that absolutely will do anything to benefit the team (I'd argue he's more of a team player than Duncan, that's how highly I respect Green's personality and team ethic).

And lest we forget, there have been great shooters in the NBA, and plenty of fantastic guards, but Curry has gotten the greenlight to shoot from anywhere, at anytime, even outside of the play. Not even Jordan had that sort of freedom. You have to be an extreme outside-of-the-box coaching team to allow something new to come into the game, and Curry's freedom, which is what enables him to be who he is, would have been unacceptable on most teams in any era. I'd argue, it would have been unacceptable on any team in any era, but one never knows. But certainly, Curry fell into the right team, with the right selfless players, and the a coaching team brave enough to release the shackles.

Now where is Durant going to fit into all this? He doesn't offer that much defensively (downgrade over Barnes), and though he could manage as a glorified spot up shooter waiting in the shadows for Curry to remember him, would that be enough for him. Except, there isn't enough of the ball to go around and make everyone happy, and Durant can't play the point forward position as he isn't the best passer off the double team (he averages 3.6 assists per game in his career), so Draymond Green would continue to play as the point guard of the team (or point forward). It's one thing for Green, Igoudala,Barnes, and Thompson, to give up shots and points for Curry (remember, this is their job, giving up shots affects their stats and their potential salary discussions), but to give up even more for Durant would really be asking a lot from them. Durant averages 19 shots per game, just a little less than Curry, and the average team puts up around 86-89 shots per game. Are they both going to give up shots? Considering they're both MVP candidates, and this is Curry's team, how would they mesh? How would smallball work with Durant as the PF? Which players would they lose in order to bring in Durant?

I can't recall two MVP candidates playing on the same time, possibly Magic and Kareem, but Magic was a point, team first, player so they would have meshed well. Not sure how well Curry and Durant mesh, in skills and in personality. So I'm a bit iffy with the trade rumours, and if it does work out, I'll see it as a step backwards for the Warriors.

Great post Doc.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: February 27, 2016, 02:04:12 am »
Durant as the 3rd option? Playing as first option when Curry is on the bench? Nah, don't think so. I highly doubt he'd move to the Warriors. Maybe in 8-10 years time if he hasn't gotten close to the finals, but right now as one of the elite players in the league and with the belief that he is the best player on the Planet, not likely to happen.

Zach Lowe is my favourite NBA stats guy, brings out naunces in the game that few tend to notice, but he does love his numbers, and this isn't about numbers. By all accounts Durant is ultra competitive, and driven to prove he's the best. Joining Golden State would be an acknowledgement that he couldn't lead a team to the Finals without jumping on a bandwagon, an acceptance that Curry is the better player, and the understanding that he'd be playing on Curry and Green's team. Even if he won a title with them, his legacy would be affected, and his numbers (current at an elite level only a handful of  players ahve come close to matching) would bottom out.

Lakers are a better shout for him. That's a team and a city ripe for a star, and I'm sure with him playing there, and the allure of playing in the spotlights of LA, free agents might start considering LA again.

Speaking of LA, when did the Clippers sign Jeff Green? What an awesome trade! He's one of my favourite non headline players, and would be absolutely awesome for the Clippers. And they only had to give up Lance Stephenson and a 2nd round pick. That's like trading in a Skoda and some fries for a Benz. The Clippers just got very, very dangerous.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #391 on: February 27, 2016, 11:40:05 am »
Arghhh lost for the second time this season at home against Charlotte. Come on man.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #392 on: February 28, 2016, 04:24:56 am »
Steph Curry. He is OUTRAGEOUS.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: February 28, 2016, 04:25:49 am »
am I the only one here who watched OKC-WARRIORS game?
Probably the best game of all season. Curry is legend.

Offline Fiasco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #394 on: February 28, 2016, 04:30:14 am »
am I the only one here who watched OKC-WARRIORS game?
Probably the best game of all season. Curry is legend.

Hi :D

What a game that was. It had everything. Great plays, stupid plays, Curry being Curry, Durant putting on a show and fouling out, clutch free throws from Iguodala, you name it. When the NBA is played like this it is an amazing spectacle.

Offline RedInside

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: February 28, 2016, 10:35:13 am »
That game winner by Curry has to be one of the greatest things i have ever seen in an NBA game, he's unstopable. I'm not even in doubt anymore that the warriors will win the championship barring injury

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #396 on: February 28, 2016, 10:45:19 am »
He's ridiculous. Managed to see the 2nd quarter and then went to sleep. Saw previously a video with what he did throughout the whole game. Jaw dropped and all.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #397 on: February 28, 2016, 12:16:33 pm »
He's the best player in the world in any sport. That 38 foot game winner was just insanity.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: February 28, 2016, 02:29:02 pm »
He's the best player in the world in any sport. That 38 foot game winner was just insanity.

Best in basketball absolutely, best in any sport. You're taking the piss

Online Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: February 28, 2016, 02:38:33 pm »
I laughed at the end; couldn't believe my eyes.