Author Topic: European Cup Final 1/6/19. LFC v THFC  (Read 236540 times)

Offline vorsprungtorbenpieknik

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: European Cup Final 1/6/19. LFC v THFC
« Reply #40 on: May 9, 2019, 01:10:09 pm »
I'm gutted for Ajax. Such a talented team, playing the way the game should be played and a club doing things the right way too.

I hate the fact we're playing an English side but fair play to Spurs, they stuck with it and got their reward...and Poch is a good manager as well.

That said, I feel more confident against Spurs than Ajax. They've beaten us once in 11 games and there is a reason they are so far behind us in the league. We are simply better at football than they are.

Also, they will try desperately to shoe-horn Kane into the starting team. They are demonstrably better without him. Playing Kane effectively neuters Son. Add to that Kane won't even be match fit. They also broke vertongen in the celebrations which could rule him out as well.

Plus we have the experience of last year to draw upon. Every person in the club did all this last year. The run up, the prep. The media stuff, the hype. it's so fresh in the memory that we shouldn't be phased by it at all.

Then there's Mo. He will be on a one man mission to right the wrongs of last year.

And Virg. He won't be phased at all. It'll all be just like a kick-about to him.

We lost to 2 mistakes last year against a better side. The player who made those mistakes won't be playing this year.

We are the momentum team in all the league. Even more so than city who are falling over the line. If the last game of the season was against city we'd be champions.

Spurs have lost 13 league games this season and 3 of their last 5 matches. We don't need to be at our best. All we need to be is as good at football as Bournemouth and West Ham and we're European Champions.

That's not to say we should take them lightly. But just play our game and we win. They play their best game and we do too. We still win.

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: May 9, 2019, 01:14:09 pm »
Why is the final so late this year?? I mean it's in June?

Online Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #42 on: May 9, 2019, 01:14:16 pm »
Klopp's first European final, where he's not the underdog.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline missis sumner

• Not giving it up for Capon, not even when he understands her yet none of her friends does.....
  • Kopite
  • G'wan, my son
« Reply #43 on: May 9, 2019, 01:15:09 pm »
Will we be playing in red?  :scarf

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: May 9, 2019, 01:17:32 pm »

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: May 9, 2019, 01:22:12 pm »
Bit annoying as where I live there’s tonnes of Spurs fans around, I was going to go to the pub to watch the final on the expectation we’d be playing Ajax but now I’ll be watching in doors, it’s a recipe for disaster watching a game of that magnitude with opposition supporters around!

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: May 9, 2019, 01:24:53 pm »
This was posted on the Liverpool subreddit. It might just be them taking precautions.

@HLNinEngeland
Follow Follow @HLNinEngeland
More
Hate to spoil the Spurs party so early, but this exclusive footage of Jan Vertonghen doesn’t look good. Protective boot on his right foot, the crutches. Smells like an ankle ligament injury.

👉🏼 Full footage over here: https://www.hln.be/sport/voetbal/champions-league-europa-league/champions-league/geen-champions-leaguefinale-voor-jan-vertonghen-rode-duivel-verlaat-amsterdam-op-krukken~a8e0e35c/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_content=Sport&utm_source=dlvr.it

@hlnsport @vtmnieuws

#coys #thfc

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: May 9, 2019, 01:34:56 pm »
Their centre midfield is a bit meh isn't it? When you look at the quality they have in that department, you can understand the logic behind their 12 losses in the league this season.

Wanyama is not very good and he been starting a lot recently.

We really should be dominating the middle of the park.

Offline rafas red brigade

• Anny Roader
« Reply #48 on: May 9, 2019, 01:35:20 pm »
Can't believe we're back in ANOTHER European Cup final. Well, I can, but to look at our fall from grace and subsequent revival just in the space of this decade is absolutely astounding.

6 or 7 years ago it felt like we might never get back in the Champions League again, and the knockouts seemed like a dream. 9 years between 2009 and 2018 when we finally got back to the knockout rounds and yet within 16 months of that, we've made it to 2 Champions League finals.

My best mate from the few years I lived over in the States is a massive Spurs fan. He knows more about Spurs than the average supporter in London knows about them, they're everything to him.

I lived over there back during the Hodgson and H&G days and we would just chat about how brilliant it would be if we could both just QUALIFY for the champions league the same season. I chatted to him last night and we both just laughed at his absurd it is that we'll be playing each other in the final.

Don't get me wrong, deep down I really wish we were playing ajax. I don't like Spurs, I don't like poch and I certainly don't like a lot of their players. And I hate games against Spurs, it seems at the moment at least like it'll take some of the shine off the whole event, compared to a fallen European giant like Ajax.

But as others have said, if someone had offered me a place in the final against spurs at the start of the season, or even on Tuesday afternoon, I'd have bitten their hands off.

We just need to get the job done and exorcise those demons from Kiev.

Offline rafas red brigade

• Anny Roader
« Reply #49 on: May 9, 2019, 01:38:14 pm »
Bit annoying as where I live there’s tonnes of Spurs fans around, I was going to go to the pub to watch the final on the expectation we’d be playing Ajax but now I’ll be watching in doors, it’s a recipe for disaster watching a game of that magnitude with opposition supporters around!

Yup, living in London I'm definitely staying at home and streaming this now. Even though I know people at the pub, including most of the local Spurs fans, I don't think I can be arsed being outnumbered by them all in a pub, even if the ones who go there are generally sound.

Offline itsalltosh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #50 on: May 9, 2019, 01:39:22 pm »
Hope Kane is fit to start.
Hope Vertongen isn't

As long as Lord Harry 'Golden Boot' Kane doesn't score it'll be fine.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: May 9, 2019, 01:42:12 pm »
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Online rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: May 9, 2019, 01:47:27 pm »
This was posted on the Liverpool subreddit. It might just be them taking precautions.
Paging Welshred to the Rawk ER.

He'll diagnose the injury just by looking at it. Hope he misses the final (Vertonghen, not Welshred)
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #53 on: May 9, 2019, 01:50:09 pm »
I really don't like Spurs. Can't handle the idea of them winning the Champions League. Losing against an English team in the final is just unthinkable, going to be so nervous for this.

It's hard not to respect what they've done as a club though. Chelsea threw money at their project until they landed this trophy, City will double down to do the same next season. Spurs are more like us. This stage couldn't have seemed further away when we were fielding the likes of Charlie Adam. The same is true of Spurs when Tim Sherwood was manager. They have a huge new stadium, a brilliant manager and a very talented team. I know the jokes will persist but Spurs really aren't a laughing matter anymore. You don't get to the Champions League final without earning the right, we know that more than anyone.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: May 9, 2019, 01:50:18 pm »
Bravo.
Seconded. Great stuff HBHR. We've been playing like that all season, and if we play to our best ability, we'll win.

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: May 9, 2019, 01:55:08 pm »
I really don't like Spurs. Can't handle the idea of them winning the Champions League. Losing against an English team in the final is just unthinkable, going to be so nervous for this.

Yeah, it's weird.  I'm just as - if not more so - confident of beating Spurs than Ajax, but with Ajax I would have enjoyed the build up, basked in the anticipation, watched videos, listened to podcasts, interviews etc.  Now, I just kinda want it over as soon as possible.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #56 on: May 9, 2019, 01:59:38 pm »
Yeah, it's weird.  I'm just as - if not more so - confident of beating Spurs than Ajax, but with Ajax I would have enjoyed the build up, basked in the anticipation, watched videos, listened to podcasts, interviews etc.  Now, I just kinda want it over as soon as possible.
That was even the case with Madrid. Even though we see them a lot I liked learning stuff about them from Spanish journalists.

Not the same with Spurs. Harry Kane has been shoved down our throats for the years now, we know them inside out. Same goes both ways, I imagine they'd rather be facing a non-English side too.

Offline lfcrule6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: May 9, 2019, 02:00:54 pm »
Will we be playing in red?  :scarf

And we've always won the European Cup against teams in white. (nobody mention our last 2 finals)
★     ★     ★     ★     ★     ★

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: May 9, 2019, 02:01:47 pm »

I've not even been able to look at BBC sport website since Spurs won. Absolutely disgusted with Ajax, just keep the ball in the corner a la Milner on Tuesday.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Magz50

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: May 9, 2019, 02:03:46 pm »
Let’s twat these c*nts!

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #60 on: May 9, 2019, 02:05:51 pm »
I've not even been able to look at BBC sport website since Spurs won. Absolutely disgusted with Ajax, just keep the ball in the corner a la Milner on Tuesday.
Terrible game management wasn't it? I said on here when it was 2-2 that Ajax would lose, they looked absolutely petrified of Spurs. Switched off and just assumed Spurs would win.

For all their plaudits Ajax didn't deserve to be in this final. They remind me of our sides early on in Klopp's reign. Beautiful to watch, but naive to the point of self destruction.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #61 on: May 9, 2019, 02:06:50 pm »
I think we have to be ruthlessly professional in this final. Go there, take the entire occasion by the scruff of the neck and make it ours. No ifs, no buts.
Club, team and fans alike.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #62 on: May 9, 2019, 02:07:27 pm »
Oh Wales won the six nations grand slam this year as they did in 78 & 05. ;)
#Sausages

Online Mr F

• uckwit
  • Kopite
« Reply #63 on: May 9, 2019, 02:11:58 pm »
Whatever happens, whatever we do....just don't go 3-0 up!
Chardee MacDennis: The Game of Games

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #64 on: May 9, 2019, 02:12:26 pm »

It's hard not to respect what they've done as a club though. Chelsea threw money at their project until they landed this trophy, City will double down to do the same next season. Spurs are more like us. This stage couldn't have seemed further away when we were fielding the likes of Charlie Adam. The same is true of Spurs when Tim Sherwood was manager. They have a huge new stadium, a brilliant manager and a very talented team. I know the jokes will persist but Spurs really aren't a laughing matter anymore. You don't get to the Champions League final without earning the right, we know that more than anyone.

Ajax didn't deserve to go out like that last night, but saying that Spurs have their own story and they, equally, deserved their victory.

I'm made up they're through though - depending on the Europa results, we could have four English teams in all European competitions and that is quite an achievement from all to be fair.

Saying that, we're going to twat them 3-0 and there'll be a good few cards in it.

Continually on 11,420.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #65 on: May 9, 2019, 02:15:40 pm »
Terrible game management wasn't it? I said on here when it was 2-2 that Ajax would lose, they looked absolutely petrified of Spurs. Switched off and just assumed Spurs would win.

For all their plaudits Ajax didn't deserve to be in this final. They remind me of our sides early on in Klopp's reign. Beautiful to watch, but naive to the point of self destruction.

It was an utter shit show how are they basically 2 on 2 / 3 on 3 from a lumped long ball with seconds to go ... gave me arsenal 89 flashbacks... where was everyone
Thought it was a horrible second half performance - they didn’t deserve to go through I’m afraid

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #66 on: May 9, 2019, 02:17:45 pm »
Ajax didn't deserve to go out like that last night, but saying that Spurs have their own story and they, equally, deserved their victory.
I honestly think they did. If you crumble at the slightest hint of pressure, you deserve to go out. Those are the high stakes of this competition. They had the beating of Spurs for the whole tie, then they concede three in one half? Mentally weak and tactically naive.

It was an utter shit show how are they basically 2 on 2 / 3 on 3 from a lumped long ball with seconds to go ... gave me arsenal 89 flashbacks... where was everyone
Thought it was a horrible second half performance - they didn’t deserve to go through I’m afraid
Exactly. They let Spurs win that with their sheer naivety. So many chances to wind down the clock.

We used to be like that ourselves, thankfully we're not anymore.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: May 9, 2019, 02:18:27 pm »
Containing Eriksen, minimizing Moura's pace [if he starts] and Son, will be huge.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #68 on: May 9, 2019, 02:19:49 pm »

I can't be bothered watching other teams these days so only tuned in late for this to see who we would face. There were ten minutes left on the clock and the game seemed chaotic. As it went on I was convinced Spurs would score. Madness and so naive from Ajax.  :(  I'm sad about that because I really wanted us to play them in the final. The build-up to it would have been watchable and the game itself played by two giants of the game with mutually respectful fans.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Larse

• Kopite
« Reply #69 on: May 9, 2019, 02:29:00 pm »
Has this Spurs team ever been to any final?

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: May 9, 2019, 02:33:22 pm »
Has this Spurs team ever been to any final?

Last time Spurs won anything was the League Cup in 07/08 then they were in the 2009 and 2015 League Cup finals. They've not been in any European finals since 1984.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: May 9, 2019, 02:42:59 pm »

It was completely insane. Just fucking pile everyone back at least, if they get one off a lucky bounce while you're back to the walls defending then it is what it is and that's game over but to have so much of your team go missing with seconds to go.

The main reason I'm sick is that I think we'd have fucking steamrolled Ajax, like 3 or 4 nil job. Spurs are a tough match for us. We beat them well away this year, it should have been more than 2-1, but at home the last two years they've been for me the best side we've faced. And then there was the spanking they gave us last season at wembley.

We're better than them, we're more experienced than them and we certainly should have the desire to win but it'll be a seriously tough game now rather than a procession.

As an aside, but a  moot point now, but anyone giving Ajax a hope against city was mad too, city would have absolutely destroyed them
« Last Edit: May 9, 2019, 02:44:42 pm by Sharado »
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: May 9, 2019, 02:44:57 pm »
It will be tough, but so was last year, it's never easy for us.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: May 9, 2019, 02:48:01 pm »
One of the two finalists lost 13 matches in its league this season. THIRTEEN.

The other lost ONE, and is absolutely enraged that it lost in the Final last year.

Is a flukey upset possible? Yes. But I know who I'm betting on.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: May 9, 2019, 02:49:04 pm »
Hope Kane is fit to start.
Hope Vertongen isn't

both will play while being unfit ... i like it.

Offline proudred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: May 9, 2019, 02:50:19 pm »
June 1 seems too long.Has there been a huge gap in days between the end of the season & the final.

Offline johna999

• Main Stander
« Reply #76 on: May 9, 2019, 02:52:24 pm »
Spurs are like a mini Liverpool. Press, very fit, very disciplined. The past few weeks they have been shot physically and mentally. They almost held on for a draw at Bournemouth after going down to 9 men. they will have a 3 week gap so fitness wont be an issue as they will be well rested and Poch is a tactical wizard. But man to man we have a better team, there isn't one player they have that I would swap into our team. It will be a tough battle, just hope it doesn't come down to luck.

Think Poch will see that our fullbacks are a major threat with the assists this year. He will double up. 4411. Think he will play rose/trippier full backs with moura/son wide to double up against our threat out wide and break with kane upfront with alli off him and erricson and sissoko in modfield

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #77 on: May 9, 2019, 02:52:26 pm »
Only thing I'm scared of is football being football and an upset being on the cards.

We play to our ability and strengths we will have too much of them.
In a post which will be lost in about 50 pages by 31st May (  ;D ) at this moment I will just say that we have unfinished business and Spurs are just unfortunate that they will be on the receiving end of this red tide

We're going to Madrid
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: May 9, 2019, 02:52:36 pm »
One of the two finalists lost 13 matches in its league this season. THIRTEEN.

The other lost ONE, and is absolutely enraged that it lost in the Final last year.

Is a flukey upset possible? Yes. But I know who I'm betting on.

Means nothing. We beat Milan while finishing 5th. Chelsea beat Bayern while finishing 7th or 8th in the league.

It's a one of game, league form doesn't matter.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: May 9, 2019, 02:58:05 pm »
Means nothing. We beat Milan while finishing 5th. Chelsea beat Bayern while finishing 7th or 8th in the league.

It's a one of game, league form doesn't matter.

It definitely doesn’t mean nothing.

If you look over the history of one off cup matches (or two legged cup matches) then you will notice a definite correlation between the higher placed league team coming out winners.

It obviously is possible for the lower placed league team to win, Wigan vs City being the obvious example, but the odds will likely be with the team who has the higher league position, which they are in this instance.