Author Topic: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *  (Read 2932043 times)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *
« Reply #30160 on: April 29, 2024, 12:44:27 pm »
So I see

"planning with him for at least another campaign, 31 YO has given no indication of wanting out, and contract to be addressed in due course, Saudi view is Salah intends to remain at LFC next season"

Typed out the Orny tweet as X is blocked on my laptop etc
The best news for ages!!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #30161 on: April 29, 2024, 12:44:38 pm »
It's a bad negotiating standpoint for us if it's let out that we are looking rid of Salah - just saying. So I don't think anything in the press at the minute is going to confirm either way. I think it feels like the end to a of people now though. It does make sense with our business model too, sell while there is still some value and the player is past their peak.

I would be really surprised at Edwards offering him a new contract.

As a player he is probably in the top 5 we have ever had, but we need to put aside sentimentality if we want to get back to where we want to be for the next era.

Salah is still in the top 5-10 players in the PL.  Comfortably.  The fact that the last month or so, after we rushed him back after he got an injury during the AFCON, he hasn't been as brilliant as he was in the first 5 months of this campaign does not mean he is finished.  AFCON seems to take it out of him - the last competition, he was leading the league, went away, came back and played similarly as he has the last month or so.  What happened?  He came back in 2022/23 with a great season (29 non-pen goal involvements across the season, or on every 113 mins), and then was even *BETTER* the first 4-5 months of this (he was at a non-pen goal involvement every 94 mins before AFCON).  Lets not forget that next season, AFCON is in the summer - so that helps as we won't lose him for a month.

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #30162 on: April 29, 2024, 12:45:24 pm »
People want scapegoats to blame for how the season has ended, Salah fits the bill perfectly. This other incident gives them the final excuse to throw all sorts of stuff at him

Whole team has been basically scapegoated not just Salah.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30163 on: April 29, 2024, 12:56:08 pm »
Shenanigans aside was lovely to see him hit his after burners on that break away, I honestly worried he'd lost that top end speed.

He is still our best forward so it's great news he's staying, I just hope we get him away from hugging the touchline and get him in and around the box more.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30164 on: April 29, 2024, 12:57:33 pm »
Apparently Saudi Pro League still willing to offer Coutinho money to secure Mo's signature early this summer, despite his dwindling contract.

Everyone has their price, and I can see Laptop Eddie giving him a piggyback to JLA for that amount.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Lisan Al Gaib

• Main Stander
  • Lead them to Paradise
« Reply #30165 on: April 29, 2024, 12:58:33 pm »
My take is simple, I love Mo, I respect what he has done for this club and he is a legend.

Legends are still held to a standard of behaviour, that goes for him, Klopp and anyone associated with the club. That open disrespectful behaviour was not ok, after Klopp cooled it with the post match interview, he again was still kicking off when he walked past... he is being petulant, this is not ok.

The manager is the boss of the team, he has tough calls to make but I always say the best way to answer the manager if he drops you, or tells you to go prove yourself no matter how many goals you've scored, you go out there and put in a performance to make him regret dropping you, or whatever.

This is very poor from Mo and he deserves to be disciplined for it. Really disappointing. Don't like players thinking they are bigger than the manager or too big/legend status to get away with this behaviour.

He wasn't kicking off when walking through the mixed zone though was he? He was basically saying if I say something the press will blow it up and they proved his point by doing exactly what he thought they would do. Maybe he could have kept quiet but then we'd have had "Salah clearly still angry walking through the mixed zone after the game" and we get the whole thing anyway. No win for him.

Managers can get things wrong as well and who knows what Jurgen said to him? No one has ever thought they both could have been bellends here?

I mean, plans are meaningless until Slot comes in, right?

I don't think so. According to everything that's been said Slot will be head coach whose job will be to coach the players he's given whilst Edwards and Hughes are in charge of recruitment and retention so it'll be their decision.

Online Buster Gonad

• Kopite
« Reply #30166 on: April 29, 2024, 01:03:12 pm »
So the feeling is he's staying?  I can see the media creating a shitshow about him all summer unless he kills it with a statement.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #30167 on: April 29, 2024, 01:10:48 pm »
So the feeling is he's staying?  I can see the media creating a shitshow about him all summer unless he kills it with a statement.
Joyce says Hughes will be working on a contract extension.

Brilliant news!!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30168 on: April 29, 2024, 01:12:00 pm »

Brilliant news!!

Let's see if he's willing to accept a wage reduction first, highly unlikely.

Offline NickoH

• Has to fart in private to avoid offending the posh guys and gals in the Marketing Dept
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speak softly love so no one hears us but the sky
« Reply #30169 on: April 29, 2024, 01:12:27 pm »

Brilliant news!!

Despite his recent run of poor form, he's still our poster boy, our biggest worldwide star by far. Why wouldn't we want to keep him.
I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed,
A wound that will not heal, a heart that cannot feel.
Hoping that the horror will recede,
Hoping that tomorrow we'll all be freed.........JUSTICE.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #30170 on: April 29, 2024, 01:14:10 pm »
My take is simple, I love Mo, I respect what he has done for this club and he is a legend.

Legends are still held to a standard of behaviour, that goes for him, Klopp and anyone associated with the club. That open disrespectful behaviour was not ok, after Klopp cooled it with the post match interview, he again was still kicking off when he walked past... he is being petulant, this is not ok.

The manager is the boss of the team, he has tough calls to make but I always say the best way to answer the manager if he drops you, or tells you to go prove yourself no matter how many goals you've scored, you go out there and put in a performance to make him regret dropping you, or whatever.

This is very poor from Mo and he deserves to be disciplined for it. Really disappointing. Don't like players thinking they are bigger than the manager or too big/legend status to get away with this behaviour.
Nicely written and apparently balanced.

However, everyone's view is ultimately coloured somewhat by their emotional ties to others.
For example, if the manager in question was Hodgson and Gerrard had 'chatted back to him' on the touchline, I don't think anyone would be supporting our former manager in that scenario.

And real life teaches you that regardless of theory, in practice everyone has a breaking point.
It's all very well saying things like "no player is bigger than the club" and "manager's must always be respected" but there are exceptions to these statements.
And it looks quite apparent that both Jurgen and Salah (two of our favourite LFC personalities) just reached their respective breaking points and what happened happened. Nothing else to it. Because they both usually carry themselves in such good ways.
That's why we love them both.

And that's why I will continue to love them both.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30171 on: April 29, 2024, 01:19:21 pm »
Mo holds the cards. If he wants to stay and have a go at the Prem and CL next season, under the new manager, it would make sense from Mo’s perspective. He has declined physically, which is to be expected, but he is still a very good player.

The Saudis will still be there in another year, only by that time if Mo is on a free, he will pocket a large signing bonus, instead of LFC pocketing a transfer fee.

From the perspective of the club, I’d rather sell this summer to give the new manager a clean slate, and the ability to reinvest the fee on a player who will be here for a while.

But Mo Salah holds the cards.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30172 on: April 29, 2024, 01:19:53 pm »
It's a bad negotiating standpoint for us if it's let out that we are looking rid of Salah - just saying. So I don't think anything in the press at the minute is going to confirm either way. I think it feels like the end to a of people now though. It does make sense with our business model too, sell while there is still some value and the player is past their peak.

I would be really surprised at Edwards offering him a new contract.

As a player he is probably in the top 5 we have ever had, but we need to put aside sentimentality if we want to get back to where we want to be for the next era.
A new contract should come with a pay cut.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #30173 on: April 29, 2024, 01:22:27 pm »

Brilliant news!!

Agree. There's no way we should be letting him go until we have a succession in place, which at the moment we don't have.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30174 on: April 29, 2024, 01:25:54 pm »

Agree, it should.

But from Salah’s perspective, why would he accept that? He has the option to let his deal wind down, give it a go at a top club for the top prizes for another year, and then leave on a Bosman to pocket a very large signing bonus.

Signing an extension on lesser terms just hands more control back to LFC and reduces Salah’s options and likely money he will receive. It is better for LFC, but I would be surprised if Mo’s advisers would steer him that way. He holds the cards.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 01:28:42 pm by G Richards »

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #30175 on: April 29, 2024, 01:26:09 pm »
Nicely written and apparently balanced.

However, everyone's view is ultimately coloured somewhat by their emotional ties to others.
For example, if the manager in question was Hodgson and Gerrard had 'chatted back to him' on the touchline, I don't think anyone would be supporting our former manager in that scenario.

And real life teaches you that regardless of theory, in practice everyone has a breaking point.
It's all very well saying things like "no player is bigger than the club" and "manager's must always be respected" but there are exceptions to these statements.
And it looks quite apparent that both Jurgen and Salah (two of our favourite LFC personalities) just reached their respective breaking points and what happened happened. Nothing else to it. Because they both usually carry themselves in such good ways.
That's why we love them both.

And that's why I will continue to love them both.

That's also potentially a big problem for Slot though, because if similar things happen next season, he doesn't have that big body of work/reputation to protect him

Offline PaleBlueDot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #30176 on: April 29, 2024, 01:26:36 pm »

Be VERY surprised if he takes a pay-cut. Also be very surprised if Edwards sanctions a new deal on the same money.

If he stays he's leaving on a free next summer. There won't be a new contract signed.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #30177 on: April 29, 2024, 01:26:46 pm »
There was interest in Salah from the Saudi Arabian side Al-Ittihad in last summer’s transfer window with a £100 million bid, plus £50 million in add-ons, rejected by the Anfield hierarchy.

Crikey, not a bad fee that. Granted he seemed irreplaceable for us back then.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30178 on: April 29, 2024, 01:27:51 pm »
Sounds familiar

Dad "Can you just put your phone down for 1 minute while I talk to you"
Daughter "Just let me reply to this"
Dad "You have been replying for 10 minutes, just give me 2 minutes"
Daughter "God, you're so annoying"
Dad "It's rude you know, and I pay the bill"
Daughter (Huffs) "For god's sake, what do you want ?"
Dad "Fuck it, you're adopted anyway!"
Daughter "OMG WTF?!"
Dad "That's right, I lost my ability to get a boner long before you were born."

Cue it being blown out of all proportion when reported back to mother.

Offline PaleBlueDot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #30179 on: April 29, 2024, 01:28:02 pm »

Yeah, people expecting the same this summer but if he doesn't stay doubt it's more than £80m.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30180 on: April 29, 2024, 01:28:40 pm »
We were right to keep him last summer because it would have been too much change. Part of that has been offset by his role in helping us qualify for the CL. We also received the offer too late to find a replacement.

For me, I'd move him on this summer as I've said before.

Online filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30181 on: April 29, 2024, 01:29:18 pm »
Agree, it should.

But from Salah’s perspective, why would he accept that? He has the option to let his deal wind down, give it a go at a top club for the top prizes for another year, and then leave on a Bosman to pocket a very large signing bonus.

Signing an extension on lesser terms just hands more control back to LFC and reduces Salah’s options and likely money he will receive. It is better for LFC, but I would be surprised if Mo’s advisers would steer him that way. He holds the cards.

Honestly i wouldn't be shocked at all if he was happy enough to just run the contract down and pocket the big signing bonus with freedom to choose wherever he wants to go in a year's time. It was pretty much what was threatened at the negotiation for the last extension

I can't imagine the club making him the kind of extension offer he would want either.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 01:34:22 pm by filopastry »

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #30182 on: April 29, 2024, 01:29:38 pm »
Edwards offering Salah an extension does not mean that it would be a great offer. Maybe he will get a contract reflecting his current or expected future status as a player. And if Mo doesnt accept, would Edwards say no to offers from the saudis ? 

Offline Lisan Al Gaib

• Main Stander
  • Lead them to Paradise
« Reply #30183 on: April 29, 2024, 01:30:58 pm »

There were a hell of a lot of conditions though and I don't think it was £100m straight up. For example a very large part of the add ons were on the condition they won the Club World Cup. It was farcical.

Online thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30184 on: April 29, 2024, 01:45:25 pm »
The past few weeks have been underwhelming in many ways but probably none more so than Salah.  He looked electric when he made his first comeback against Brentford but has been way off it for whatever reason since then.  Falling out with Klopp is just the icing on the cake.

All that said, what a brilliant player he has been for us!  It would be such a sad ending if he departs on bad terms and ends up finishing his career in Saudi Arabia.  Hopefully the last few games turn things back around as there's not a whole lot else for us to play for.

Online KC7

• Main Stander
« Reply #30185 on: April 29, 2024, 01:50:10 pm »

He's been crucial in getting us CL football for next season.

Before his injury (which clearly affected his performances since he came back) nobody was thinking about that offer; it was 'thank Christ hes still with us'.

Mo showed enough in that West Ham appearance (the speed in particular when he left that player in his wake) that hes still in top physical shape.

Get the midfield functioning next season with the 8s in their natural advanced positions, no shifting Mac out of position in the 6, a quality 6 brought in so the 8s don't have to stay close and babysit him, get that area firing again, athleticism, speed, get the ball moving quicker from the middle of the field where it has been slow and ponderous all season which has affected the attacking play with chances more difficult with opposing defences being given more time to get set. So many games we have a shitload of shots (28 vs West Ham) yet few clear chances. When the midfield was a pressing machine those chances were much better with the quicker ball to the forwards and more space to exploit.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #30186 on: April 29, 2024, 01:52:15 pm »
I can definitely understand shouts to let go but it's all depending on Saudi level money as well as a top class replacement, and I think we'll struggle for both. Therefore it's right to keep him and what I'd have done anyway, he's obviously still quality and can offer us plenty more goals over the next few years. Honestly, I want him to stay until he retires unless there's a significant drop off, which I don't believe has happened yet and owes a lot to AFCON anyway.

Could be a case they extend by one more year and re-assess next summer. I'd be fine with that personally. He'll be 33 next summer and the new manager will be settled (hopefully all has gone well). We'd still get respectable money at that age considering everything he's done for the club, also it's a totally different game now where you can actually get big money for players into their 30s.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30187 on: April 29, 2024, 01:57:52 pm »
He should be a centre forward now for us not a wide man.

Offline In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30188 on: April 29, 2024, 01:59:31 pm »

That's not true. For an unknown reason, people go extra hard on him (our fanbase and outsiders). Actually, some can't wait for him to do something they perceive as wrong so they can have a go at him. I'm alluding to anything, but there's a pattern.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30189 on: April 29, 2024, 02:02:01 pm »
Not ripped his contract up yet, proper weird from the club.

Online filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30190 on: April 29, 2024, 02:07:27 pm »
That's not true. For an unknown reason, people go extra hard on him (our fanbase and outsiders). Actually, some can't wait for him to do something they perceive as wrong so they can have a go at him. I'm alluding to anything, but there's a pattern.

I can't say I see it myself, if strikers have big wages or fees on them they will get piled on when they aren't producing that is a very familiar story over the years!

Nunez has got his fair amount of shit this year as well

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
« Reply #30191 on: April 29, 2024, 02:15:53 pm »
Who else is to blame, if isn't the players. The team were in a great position and have fell apart over the last few weeks. The players are to blame, it's not scapegoating.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #30192 on: April 29, 2024, 02:21:41 pm »

Brilliant news!!

Hmmmm.

Yeah.

I'm sure he is.

This is a game of poker and you offer Mo a "not that brilliant" contract extension.

See what happens next 👀.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #30193 on: April 29, 2024, 02:26:35 pm »
Salah sure set them up for a tap-in though

Offline Barryg21

• Main Stander
« Reply #30194 on: April 29, 2024, 02:36:55 pm »
It makes zero sense for Mo to accept a new deal on a lower salary

Say the new deal is 200k a week for 3 yrs. Thats 30M
If he doesn't sign, he gets 15M this yr on his current deal, and next summer can get a sign-on for 50M?
Which is less than Saudi would pay us for transfer fee, so they are quids in
And thats before he gets his Saudi wage as well !!

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #30195 on: April 29, 2024, 02:37:42 pm »
Hmmmm.

Yeah.

I'm sure he is.

This is a game of poker and you offer Mo a "not that brilliant" contract extension.

See what happens next 👀.

Yeah, the offer will be based on what he will be worth, not what he was worth. It all comes down to how much Mo feels he is worth. If there is agreement, OK, if not it's up to Mo, if he feels he is worth more to others and fancies a change then he'll go.

I want him to stay as long as he wants to stay (for more reasons than just money)
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30196 on: April 29, 2024, 02:38:09 pm »
Who else is to blame, if isn't the players. The team were in a great position and have fell apart over the last few weeks. The players are to blame, it's not scapegoating.

The blame is on everyone. The players, the manager to the club who failed to add a top DM since Tchouameni rejected us to go to Real. Injuries didn't help too.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 02:50:51 pm by Egyptian36 »

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30197 on: April 29, 2024, 02:39:21 pm »
Edwards offering Salah an extension does not mean that it would be a great offer. Maybe he will get a contract reflecting his current or expected future status as a player. And if Mo doesnt accept, would Edwards say no to offers from the saudis ?

Who's to say Mo would go if Edwards wants him out (i.e the money ?). The Saudi league is a nothing league, somewhere between a circus and a retirement home. That's the end of any meaningful football beyond playing for a perennially underachieving Egyptian national team.
No way Mo goes there next season. Maybe in 2 or 3 years time, maybe... In my opinion (as a know-it-all).

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #30198 on: April 29, 2024, 02:40:34 pm »

Brilliant news!!
FUCK YES!!!!

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #30199 on: April 29, 2024, 02:48:52 pm »
Agree. There's no way we should be letting him go until we have a succession in place, which at the moment we don't have.

A successor in place will mean less game time for Mo of course. The right flank will cease to be his absoute property if a successor is to be blooded properly.

The obvious question then becomes 'How will Salah react to not starting every game?' The evidence this season is that he does not react very well. Great players rarely do when they are rotated or taken off the field. This was true of the very first Liverpool player to be substituted at Anfield (Roger Hunt who threw away his shirt in disgust when Shankly called him off) and it will probably always be true. Great players find it hard to accept that their powers are fading. Ronaldo - admittedly with an Himalayan sized ego - became a toxic presence at Old Trafford when he was substituted or sidelined. But we all loved the fact that United had bought a dying meteor.

I don't know whether Mo's powers are fading. The combination of Afcon, a bad injury and a prolonged fast at a poor time (ie during his attempt to recover match fitness) could have skewed the evidence. It would certainly be a massive call to conclude "he's done" and look to find another pitch, not ours, on which he can "lose his legs" as Paisley used to say. But the question remains. Mo will eventually go into decline. He may not recognise this state of affairs when it comes. He may continue to be petulant with any manager that prefers to blood a successor than give him an automatic starting spot. All these things will surely be considered.

As will any fat Saudi purse which is dangled in front of us this summer.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.