Author Topic: Peter Kay going back on Tour 2022/23  (Read 11991 times)

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
Re: Peter Kay going back on Tour (27-30 April 2010) MEN arena
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2009, 02:24:41 am »
Fucks sake, some of you need to lighten up.  He never was cutting edge comedy.
That's not really the point, as far as I gather...

He's been churning out the same regurgitated shite for about eight years now (on the stand up circuit), and as far as I gathered from his appearance on Jonathan Ross, that's not about to change. I know he's not done a great deal since his last tour, apart from releasing countless DVD's of his shite material, but I wouldn't exactly expect a massive shift in his comedic dynamic come April.
AHA!

Offline AriGold

• David James's stunt double
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hendo is boss.
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2009, 06:20:25 am »
Some right twats in 'ere. Kay is funny, end of.

Shite like Gervais don't even come close.
DON'T BUY THE S*N!

Twitter... www.twitter.com/wickolfc

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2009, 01:04:08 pm »

It's not that he's not funny, it's that he's been using the same material for about 10-12 years. I remember seeing him on The Stand Up show on telly years and years ago, when he was pretty much an unknown, he stole the show and he was very funny, but the next time I saw him he did the same set - fair enough, but then a few years later on his tour he's still doing pretty much the same set and some of it he still does now. It just gets stale.

Offline Kite

• The answer my friend, is blowing in the....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2009, 11:24:37 pm »
It's not that he's not funny, it's that he's been using the same material for about 10-12 years. I remember seeing him on The Stand Up show on telly years and years ago, when he was pretty much an unknown, he stole the show and he was very funny, but the next time I saw him he did the same set - fair enough, but then a few years later on his tour he's still doing pretty much the same set and some of it he still does now. It just gets stale.

Aren't most comedians the same.  Look at every Chris Rock DVD.  Same performance, same delivery, same topics for jokes but still funny.

Who says fatties can't play football.......

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #44 on: December 1, 2009, 12:27:47 am »
I hope that Die Hard thing is true, I'd love to see him die horribly on his arse with that

I got the distinct impression he was serious with that on the Jonathon Ross show and the audience was pissing themselves.

One womens laugh in particular did it for me, he went 'yeah allright love' with this serious furrowed brow like 'Fuck You'. If he's serious with it then its the funniest TV moment for a while

Dull as ditchwater totally unfunny
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline LFC on tour

• Lawn Mower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: December 1, 2009, 12:39:41 am »

Gervais is a fucking genuis. Kay isn't a scratch on him

Offline Crazyhorse7778

• Legacy Fan
  • VICTORY!!!
« Reply #46 on: December 1, 2009, 01:18:38 am »

Wrong.
anyone know what actually happened to ribery's face?
Just a routine tackle by Skrtel

Offline AriGold

• Legacy Fan
  • Hendo is boss.
« Reply #47 on: December 1, 2009, 03:50:27 am »
Gervais is a fucking genuis. Kay isn't a scratch on him
Yeah, will that dead boss dance he does. Genius.
DON'T BUY THE S*N!

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #48 on: December 1, 2009, 07:44:15 am »

Are you honestly arguing the sophistication of the fat-arsed, living off of one page of material released over and over again, ''garlic bread?' twat compared to Ricky Gervais? To be honest I find neither particularly funny, but Gervais still shits out funnier material than any of Peter Kay's five jokes. He's the fucking Bob Geldof of comedy. One piece of work that makes him famous, and then a load of abysmal side-projects to keep his fat fucking punchable face in the spotlight. The funny thing about that Britain's Got The X-Factor shite was that it appealed to the same simple-minded, drawlong morons who watch the shite it was 'parodying.' The reason 'parodying' is in quote marks is because it suffered from such a lack of thought, originality or indeed, sohistication, it was undeserving of the term. He's a fucking humour-vacuum, a black hole of comedy, nothing funny can, has, or will ever occur within any proximity to him. Admittedly, it is impressive how his immensely powerful gravitational pull manages to keep shite like Paddy McGguiness, Shelly from Eastenders and Dave fucking Spikey orbiting around mainstream media.

Plus, the resurrection and criminally unfunny video of the Amarillo bollocks means I wouldn't be averse to somebody beating him to within an inch of his life with a frozen garlic bread. The irony of that would be akin to the quality of humour than this fraud can conjour from the barren, tumbleweed-filled wasteland that he attempts to pass off as the inventive part of his brain.

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: December 1, 2009, 01:27:57 pm »
go see john bishop at the empire in december  instead, hes far better than kay.
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline AriGold

• Legacy Fan
  • Hendo is boss.
« Reply #50 on: December 1, 2009, 01:40:33 pm »
Are you honestly arguing the sophistication of the fat-arsed, living off of one page of material released over and over again, ''garlic bread?' twat compared to Ricky Gervais? To be honest I find neither particularly funny, but Gervais still shits out funnier material than any of Peter Kay's five jokes. He's the fucking Bob Geldof of comedy. One piece of work that makes him famous, and then a load of abysmal side-projects to keep his fat fucking punchable face in the spotlight. The funny thing about that Britain's Got The X-Factor shite was that it appealed to the same simple-minded, drawlong morons who watch the shite it was 'parodying.' The reason 'parodying' is in quote marks is because it suffered from such a lack of thought, originality or indeed, sohistication, it was undeserving of the term. He's a fucking humour-vacuum, a black hole of comedy, nothing funny can, has, or will ever occur within any proximity to him. Admittedly, it is impressive how his immensely powerful gravitational pull manages to keep shite like Paddy McGguiness, Shelly from Eastenders and Dave fucking Spikey orbiting around mainstream media.

Plus, the resurrection and criminally unfunny video of the Amarillo bollocks means I wouldn't be averse to somebody beating him to within an inch of his life with a frozen garlic bread. The irony of that would be akin to the quality of humour than this fraud can conjour from the barren, tumbleweed-filled wasteland that he attempts to pass off as the inventive part of his brain.
Nicely thought out. Shame i couldn't give a shit, to be fair.
DON'T BUY THE S*N!

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #51 on: December 1, 2009, 04:07:05 pm »
Well its gone from 4 nights to 20 to a full blown tour

The Tour That Doesn't Tour - Tour

Belfast
Birmingham
Cardiff
Glasgow
Liverpool
London
Newcastle
Sheffield

Offline LFC on tour

• Lawn Mower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: December 1, 2009, 04:30:18 pm »
Better than the 2 fingers on the side of the head trick Kays been using since he came out. At least Ricky has produced original material since the office.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: December 1, 2009, 05:05:46 pm »

:wellin Brilliant.

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: December 1, 2009, 05:10:04 pm »
Well its gone from 4 nights to 20 to a full blown tour

The Tour That Doesn't Tour - Tour

Belfast
Birmingham
Cardiff
Glasgow
Liverpool
London
Newcastle
Sheffield

And liverpool is not till April 2011

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #55 on: December 1, 2009, 05:17:17 pm »
Gunna go to the shefield on i think.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #56 on: December 1, 2009, 05:32:39 pm »
Yawn

Offline miss_heather

• hit_gorse
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nerd.
    • Twitter
« Reply #57 on: December 1, 2009, 09:18:56 pm »

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: December 1, 2009, 10:34:57 pm »
Watched 'Phoenix Nights' last night, 'Max and Paddy' tonight. He should stick to these kind of shows, his stand up and stupid spoofs on xfactor is tiresome now.
'That Peter Kay Thing' was brilliant too.

Offline Kite

• The answer my friend, is blowing in the....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: December 5, 2009, 01:33:35 pm »
He's just sold out another set of shows across the country.  Not bad for someone so shit.
Who says fatties can't play football.......

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: December 5, 2009, 01:34:57 pm »
He's just sold out another set of shows across the country.  Not bad for someone so shit.

The public are fucking idiots. It's not exactly a great indication.

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #61 on: December 5, 2009, 01:37:11 pm »

Little Britain was quite popular at one point. Crazy Frog got to Number One. Twilight: New Moon is the highest-grossing first-week film ever in North America.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: December 5, 2009, 01:48:57 pm »
Aren't most comedians the same.  Look at every Chris Rock DVD.  Same performance, same delivery, same topics for jokes but still funny.

Not all of them. Chris Rock, yes, fair enough. Eddie Izzard is a different type but he manages to stand there and just talk, you always get the feeling he has in his head a list of themes to talk about and the rest is off the cuff so it's different each night. I love Dylan Moran for similar reasons. Bill Bailey is another. Billy Connolly for a long time, not so much recently. Jason Manford and Michael McIntyre are both very good, too.

Offline LFC on tour

• Lawn Mower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: December 6, 2009, 03:36:22 pm »
And look how far Jedward got in X factor.

Plays the 'im fat and therefore funny' card almost as good as James Corbden

Offline clarrie1983

• Anny Roader
« Reply #64 on: December 8, 2009, 01:36:06 pm »
Not all of them. Chris Rock, yes, fair enough. Eddie Izzard is a different type but he manages to stand there and just talk, you always get the feeling he has in his head a list of themes to talk about and the rest is off the cuff so it's different each night. I love Dylan Moran for similar reasons. Bill Bailey is another. Billy Connolly for a long time, not so much recently. Jason Manford and Michael McIntyre are both very good, too.

Personally, Bill Bailey and Michael McIntyre are shit (add Russell Howard to that list too). Jason Manford Ricky Gervais and Peter Kay however, are great.
« Last Edit: December 8, 2009, 01:39:52 pm by clarrie1983 »
''It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world every day always just exactly fits the newspaper''-Jerry Seinfeld

PSN - clarrie1983

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2009, 03:54:47 pm »
I wouldn't be averse to somebody beating him to within an inch of his life with a frozen garlic bread.

Quality ;D

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2009, 08:55:10 pm »
That's not really the point, as far as I gather...

He's been churning out the same regurgitated shite for about eight years now (on the stand up circuit)

Except he hasn't done stand up since his last tour seven years ago.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2009, 09:08:40 pm »
He has been releasing DVD, after DVD, after DVD, after DVD of the same regurgitated shite though. Whilst appearing on numerous chat shows and telling the same jokes, hell even on Jonathan Ross the other week he was still doing that HILARIOUS two-fingered sign up against his face.
AHA!

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2009, 06:21:23 am »
He has been releasing DVD, after DVD, after DVD, after DVD of the same regurgitated shite though. Whilst appearing on numerous chat shows and telling the same jokes, hell even on Jonathan Ross the other week he was still doing that HILARIOUS two-fingered sign up against his face.

Did you buy DVD, after DVD, after DVD, after DVD? I didn't.

True he did the two fingered sign - but that hardly proves he's going to do the same exact material though.
If you've paid for a ticket and gone to see him and he's done the same show as the "My mum wants a bungalow tour" then fine complain.

Until then (and if you have no intention of going) - stop second guessing.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #69 on: May 4, 2010, 05:04:52 pm »
Saw him on Saturday. Really funny stuff. Better than Top of the Tower and better than Live at Bolton Albert Hall.

Wont spoil any of it for those who have got tickets. But the ending is really good. Lets just say that £26 million is going somewhere and its not just in his back pocket

He has got a music act before he comes on

Spoiler
Rick Astley
[close]

but thats only for his first lot of shows at the MEN.

It wont convert you if you dont like his comedy and the guy has sold out big time. £10 for a program, £20 a t-shirt, £10 for a mug, £25 for a beach towel.

But it was an amazing night. None of that Geraldine bollocks. Just good funny stand up.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2010, 05:06:26 pm by gazzalfc »

Offline INABITSKI

• An own-nut-fondling manly man's wool. Possibly.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: May 4, 2010, 05:07:12 pm »
I like the new John Smiths advert....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-guhzL1xt80
« Last Edit: May 4, 2010, 05:12:12 pm by INABITSKI »

Offline AriGold

• Legacy Fan
  • Hendo is boss.
« Reply #71 on: May 4, 2010, 10:41:10 pm »
Can't wait for the DVDs :D
DON'T BUY THE S*N!

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: May 4, 2010, 10:44:43 pm »
£35 my arse. phoenix nights is great, and his blackpool/bolton albert hall gigs where good, but he is just a lazy twat now. made his money then couldn't be arsed

fuck that mate im not bing funny but if i made fucking millions id take some time out too.If you dont like him fair enough.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: May 4, 2010, 10:46:29 pm »
dont like it dont watch it.simple really. Personally loved his early stuff. Phoenix nights was class.His first tour was good too, went downhill after that IMO.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline -Sad Fuck-

• ... is rather queer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tiny dancer
« Reply #74 on: May 4, 2010, 10:49:34 pm »
I like the new John Smiths advert....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-guhzL1xt80

Probably one of the oldest jokes going that. Shite compared to the old ones.
hi

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #75 on: May 5, 2010, 05:16:31 am »
Never rated this bloke.

Give me Bernard Manning any day of the week.
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline lfcgeez

• aaaah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • sweet as
« Reply #76 on: May 7, 2010, 08:25:36 am »
Saw him at the MEN last night..

More of the same really, 'Do you remember when, blah, blah, blah....... school dinners......blah, blah..... Arctic Roll.... etc'

He's good at what he does but I think he's limited and his style of humour is pretty dated.

Seen far better live stand up in the last couple of years - Frankie Boyle, Jimmy Carr, Russell Brand.

Each to their own though.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in" - Bill Shankly

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2010, 02:54:05 pm »
I went to see him on Saturday at the MEN, I thought he was funny.  Very little re-use of previous material rather than a few references, I'm not sure where this 'he always uses the same act' has come from, at least 99% of what was done the other night was certainly new to me.  I think the conclusion comes from the fact that it is the same observational style that he has consistently used, but to me it's simple - if you didn't like it before, you still won't. If you do, then you will again.  Not much needs to be said other than that. 

Personally, he's one of my favourite comedians, although he has slipped down the list in recent years, and I was happy to be able to see him live, and I had a good time.  The naysayers on this thread can think I'm an idiot or some kind of mass media hype-swallower, but I don't really care.  If I think he's funny that's enough for me.  The comments about him being moneygrabbing are slightly laughable - I highly doubt he's physically pressed said DVDs into your hands and forced you to hand over your money?  I say slightly because the amount of DVD's he's released do give credence to the idea that he has 'sold out', but that doesn't change me finding him funny.

As far as his shows go, I personally have liked everything he's done bar the shite with Geraldine, even though I thought the parody itself was quite funny I thought the character was fucking appalling.  Phoenix Nights and That Peter Kay Thing were definitely two of the best comedy series made in my view.  Max and Paddy may not be to everyone's taste, and it was certainly more 'mainstream' than his previous efforts, but I still found it funny.

As far as on the chatshows go, yeah, the routine is a bit tiresome, but I've personally not seen him regurgitate material on there with the exception of the two-finger thing - and to be fair it's hardly like all his acts are based around that.  It's a 30-second part of his act that he uses because of a reaction to it. I have seen countless comedians do this.

Can't comment on him as a person really, am unhappy with his attitude towards Spikey and Fitzmaurice. I am a big fan of Dave Spikey in particular and think at least some of the greatness of Phoenix Nights came from them all rather than just Kay himself, whatever his ego may say. 

As far as the other comedians mentioned here, it's made me laugh that one or two posters are claiming McIntyre and Manford are 'great' or 'very good' when they operate on the same style, and personally speaking, aren't half as good.  McIntyre especially is one of the least funny people I've ever seen, making very boring observations, he just seems to be the golden boy at the moment rather like Kay was himself not too many years ago.  As for Manford, to me he is essentially a Peter Kay tribute act with a Manchester accent.  That's true 'ripping off' in my eyes.

As for Gervais...wow.  Not remotely funny in my book, I don't get it I'm afraid.

But hey, that'll be because I'm a fucking idiot, no doubt. :)
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2010, 03:42:19 pm »
Nah, you're not an idiot.

You just have no taste ;D

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2010, 03:43:53 pm »
:D Fair enough mate.

I genuinely think comedy is one of those things there's no common ground with.

I like Hicks, Rock, Connolly, Kay, right the way through to someone like Ken Dodd; I couldn't really define what makes me laugh, it just either does or it doesn't.  Peter Kay does, and despite my misgivings for the same reasons as many in this thread before Saturday night, he still did. 
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.