Author Topic: Learning a new language.  (Read 26690 times)

Offline Wallingtonian

• "Always been a blues fan..." <--- outed! Bless :) Waspish.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Learning another language
« Reply #240 on: May 23, 2016, 10:41:41 pm »
Has anyone had a go at learning Arabic from scratch? (I'm a Caucasian Welshie with absolutely no heritage or family links to any of the Arabic nations) If so, what learning tools did you use?

Just having a think a year or two in the future about doing an MA in Middle Eastern studies/history. I feel if I was going to do it, that I would want and strong grounding in a number of the languages from that part of the globe, and if I prove to be hopeless at it, then perhaps it's not something I should consider.
For what it's worth, Arabs are Caucasian too. They're as Caucasian as any Welsh person

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: May 24, 2016, 08:13:37 am »
I'm also starting to learn Arabic, only using free apps on my phone at the moment but hopefully will start taking classes soon or get on Rosetta Stone or something like that.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: May 24, 2016, 10:19:41 am »
thank you to those who have contributed to this thread, currently learning spanish and will take up some of the recommendations. I'm attending lessons for an hour and a half each week which has been enjoyable and have also been using dualingo. We all learn differently but i'd agree with others that dualingo is really good for helping you to remember important words and phrases, it's good to keep your motivation up however you can't beat having proper lessons so that things can be explained to you as well and you can ask questions. It relies entirely on you memorising things like verb endings through practice without actually teaching you the method. Again though everyone takes things in differently, so it really is all about finding the best way for you.

I'll have a look at some of these podcasts as well, there's so much available that I was a bit worried about using too much and getting muddled up but I guess you pick up different things from different methods.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 10:21:39 am by alonsoisared »

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: May 24, 2016, 11:44:32 am »
The duolingo website has the methods in the tips/notes bit on the start of the lessons.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #244 on: May 25, 2016, 03:45:51 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/USt_hFVNHXM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/USt_hFVNHXM</a>

It seems easy enough.

For him.  :P
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: May 25, 2016, 04:13:18 pm »
I'm another one who's thinking about trying her hand at Arabic. Pronunciation shouldn't be quite so difficult for the Welshies as we share that guttural ccchhhh. I'm quite crap at languages though so I'll probably never manage it. I used to speak enough Spanish to get by, but not any more. My other half is Polish and I've tried to learn some, but since you can say every word in 9 different ways depending on the context, I sort of thought "fuck that". So now I can mostly give you a random list of animals in various different ways. Mad bastards.

Key words I've learned (phonetically, of course):

Koopka
Shmarkey

My missus is of Polish ethnicity and these two words are the best ones I've learnt.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: May 25, 2016, 08:16:53 pm »
Join a website with a word association game and play it.

Play word games, silly ones. Words beginning in a certain letter, or train of thought,

Talk in a phoney foreign fake exagerrated accent. Ignore the words. Just go for sounding different from yourself is probably the best way of doing it.

Keep a dull diary -
I woke at six, got up, made some coffee, looked at the news, turned it off, had a shower, and went out. Rushed home, to get dressed quickly.
Already better than my life, in 'foreign' it would be great stuff.

Watch films, just for the sound and gestures, ignore subtitles. Music too.

Pretend you are from there.

Give up and decide that learning a language no-one else speaks might be easier.

I'm serious, not that I know anything, but it has to be child-like - fascination, joy, and desire to be surprised.

It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: May 25, 2016, 08:19:29 pm »
also, equivalents to the many uses English has for the verbs put, made, turn, a few more, but that's the idea.

Expecting RAWK polyglots now  ;D
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline kj999

• 180 + 90 = ...............er..............hang on................ oh yeah 180........ :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Maths Mug!
« Reply #248 on: May 26, 2016, 06:17:42 pm »
I did French at school and was a bit of a natural, if I do say so myself ;)

However, I have now forgotten most of it...

I moved to Indonesia two years ago and have made a semi-effort to pick up the language, but I live in Bali and it caters for the Aussies and Europeans so everyone speaks English anyway. Also it's so much harder to learn a language when you're not a kid! I teach in an International School here and most of our kids are tri-lingual (most kids have a European/Chinese/Japanese/Korean parentage... so speak that language... plus our school is deliberately bi-lingual... half of the lessons are in English and half in Indonesian)... puts us to shame really
Clarity of Thought before Rashness of Action...

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: May 26, 2016, 07:03:57 pm »
Randomly noticed this thread at the top of the forum.  For me, as a Brit ex pat, learning the first language was the hardest, but it all tumbled down once you start to learn a little and see languages are similar to each other, and the underlying structure becomes apparent.

What worked for me:

1. Listen to as much native radio as you can.  It's easier if you live there, but try downloading podcasts, news reports, anything.  You need to hear it being spoken as well as read it.  I quite enjoy cycling and running, so podcasts were a huge help for me.
2. Try to borrow, or find, childrens books. They often have pictures to associate with the words, and believe it or not, are huge catalysts to get your lexicon as broad as possible at the start of the learning process.
3.  Label everything in your house with its word in the language you are studying
4. Try to talk to friends often in that language.  Try to articulate what you are doing in the language as you do it.  "I am going to make breakfast, which will be x and y".  It sounds stupid, but you are teaching your brain patterns, and the firmer those patterns are, the better you are going to be at fluent speaking.

The overall feeling, is that it needs to put in major effort to do it at this speed, and obviously I wanted to accelerate my learning.  With the above, I was able to converse openly after six months and fluent after a year and a bit.

P.S.  Try using Anki or BykiLearning as a way to create flip cards (you can do this yourself with paper ones).  For example, you may have 'pillow' on one side, and "Kissen" on the other. You want to associate Kissen with a visual representationship of a pillow in your mind, not the associated English word.  Every time you flip the card, you repeat it a furtner 10 times - the programs do this automatically - but the intention is to help build up your lexicon extremely quickly, as you effectively 'brainwash' yourself.

Offline Velky Al

• Legacy Fan
    • Fuggled
« Reply #250 on: May 26, 2016, 09:53:47 pm »
I speak Czech, French, and German - though Czech is the best one as I lived there for a decade. Now learning 'American'. ;)

Offline wellred82

• Now considers himself properly educated around the significance of his birthday.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #251 on: May 31, 2016, 02:50:45 pm »
Started to learn Thai. All came about in Suvarnabhumi airport. Holiday blues well and truly kicked in so I bought a book in the airport. If any of you have tried you'll soon realise there is no universal transliteration system, so the way words can spelt can vary from book to book, site to site ect..

Someone suggested I tried learning the alphabet which off the top of my head has 44 consonant letters and 15 vowel symbols. Meh. Anyway after some digging I found an ebook written by a couple of farangs who had already been through the same pain. Managed to memorize majority of it all over a weekend. The book I got in the airport is now much more useful as I can just read the Thai script. I've also got a nice app which translates Eng-Thai and vice versa so I often use it to verify my spelling when wanting to say something.  :wave

Offline smig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: June 29, 2016, 07:50:44 pm »
Thinking about starting a beginners course in German. Has anybody on here from the Liverpool area done this before and can recommend a class? If so how much did you end up paying?
"Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt."

Offline Wyl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: June 29, 2016, 09:07:29 pm »
Thinking about starting a beginners course in German. Has anybody on here from the Liverpool area done this before and can recommend a class? If so how much did you end up paying?

Do you know any German already and why do you want to learn? If you know a bit and/or would like to have a working knowledge of German, you might want to consider the University of Manchester. I taught myself beginners German before doing the intermediate level course there (B1 on the CEFR, if you know the levels). I paid about Ł300 for a 23 week course, which was for one 3 hour class per week in the evening and a load of homework/online resources. Admittedly, it is a hassle getting there each week, though the train is pretty cheap if you book in advance, but the big advantage is it is a Goethe Institute (high quality german tuition, usually very expensive) and also includes the Goethe-Zertifikat B1 examination, which by itself is worth about Ł100.

http://www.ulc.manchester.ac.uk/languages/leap/german/

If you just want to learn it for fun, it is probably not worth it but let me know and I'd be happy to point you in the direction of some good resources I used :)

Offline smig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: June 29, 2016, 09:52:43 pm »
Do you know any German already and why do you want to learn? If you know a bit and/or would like to have a working knowledge of German, you might want to consider the University of Manchester. I taught myself beginners German before doing the intermediate level course there (B1 on the CEFR, if you know the levels). I paid about Ł300 for a 23 week course, which was for one 3 hour class per week in the evening and a load of homework/online resources. Admittedly, it is a hassle getting there each week, though the train is pretty cheap if you book in advance, but the big advantage is it is a Goethe Institute (high quality german tuition, usually very expensive) and also includes the Goethe-Zertifikat B1 examination, which by itself is worth about Ł100.

http://www.ulc.manchester.ac.uk/languages/leap/german/

If you just want to learn it for fun, it is probably not worth it but let me know and I'd be happy to point you in the direction of some good resources I used :)
I'm hoping to be fluent in it one day. No plans to move out there anytime soon but I've always enjoyed myself over there. Absolutely loved Berlin when I went back in October. Admittedly I know virtually nothing now, it's mainly the appeal of being able to speak another language fluently that's motivating me at the moment. Do you think I'd be better teaching myself the basics for free initially then?
"Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt."

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #255 on: June 30, 2016, 12:19:48 pm »
I'm another one who's thinking about trying her hand at Arabic.

My baby cousin speaks it fluently. Her grandparents are Algerian

Her mother is French. She speaks french fluently also

And her father, my uncle is Irish, so she speaks english fluently and can also talk a little Irish

Here's the mad thing - she's only 4. She hasn't even gone to school yet to learn her abc's
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #256 on: June 30, 2016, 12:46:49 pm »
For some unknown reason, learning a new language has been the hardest thing for me so far. I have a bachelors degree in engineering as well as a masters so I have some familiarity with learning new concepts, ideas and techniques. Somehow all my efforts to learn a new language have failed me. Even working in the US for 4 years in a state with heavy hispanic population and a large number of bilingual businesses, I still failed to pick up more than "yo no hablo espańol".

Similar were my efforts to learn basic German. Could not remember words, structure or grammar rules. Could not formulate even basic sentences.

:-\ :-\ :-\
Phuk yoo

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: June 30, 2016, 03:57:03 pm »
It's immersion - you don't have it.

New languages tend to sound difficult if attend listening to it regularly. Spent almost three decades listening to Jpop, watched anime, Japanese movies and drama it  no longer feels or sound foreign to me. While I'm no way near fluent in it, I can recognise certain phrases, remember and recall when the situation warrants it, either because I've observed it being used for those situations and understand why.

Try living in a Spanish speaking community or country altogether, the improvement would be tremendous. Going to a class and never using it again for anything ie. Music, movies etc = forgetting in no time.
« Last Edit: July 2, 2016, 04:33:38 am by Sheev-Palpatine »
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Wyl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: June 30, 2016, 07:55:41 pm »
I'm hoping to be fluent in it one day. No plans to move out there anytime soon but I've always enjoyed myself over there. Absolutely loved Berlin when I went back in October. Admittedly I know virtually nothing now, it's mainly the appeal of being able to speak another language fluently that's motivating me at the moment. Do you think I'd be better teaching myself the basics for free initially then?

It depends a bit on if you could be committed to it and what you know already. A class is great because it kind of forces you to keep doing it, but if you have the self-discipline you could definitely teach yourself the basics I would say. You would need to commit to doing it each day or every other day at least in my opinion, even if it was only 30 minutes.

Have you learnt a language before and/or know english grammar well? For me, the biggest difficulty at the start was working out the grammar (a good book for that was, English Grammar for Students of German). Have a look at the library for that, also I would recommend going through all of 'German with Michele Thomas' which you can get from the library too. - He was recommended earlier in this thread and I can only echo that. It takes you through the grammar in a clear way and then it is basically just about adding vocabulary. So if you wanted, you could read a German newspaper/book if you had a dictionary. It will take some time to become experienced in reading it/hearing it/ speaking it, but it is definitely possible with a bit of patience and dedication :)

Offline Ken-Obi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: July 2, 2016, 04:37:25 am »
If anything, throw everything you learned and followed for English out the window when picking up a new language - trying to shoehorn the new language to the English structure and grammar creates a mental resistance to learning. Be a blank slate and relate English to the new language rather than the other way round.

Offline terrible suits

• Formerly: terrisus
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Justice for the 96 - You'll Never Walk Alone
    • terrisus.com
« Reply #260 on: July 2, 2016, 05:38:45 am »
Were you guys inundated with advertisements during the 1980s for Muzzy, by the BBC?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prg_SVBfFWw

Because, goodness, we got them all the time over here in the US.
It was probably your main exportation to us during the 1980s  :P

On-topic: I can get by with Spanish if I have to. Took 3 years of Spanish, 2 of Latin, and 1 of Japanese through secondary and uni. But other than that, never really pursued them much, and they've fallen on disuse.
I can go between "English" and "American" as needed, though  :D

Offline klobutruck

• Main Stander
« Reply #261 on: July 3, 2016, 02:16:02 am »
I know Croatian because that's where my parents are from. I studied Italian in high school for two years and got quite good at it but I have forgotten most of it now.

My goal is to learn Icelandic, Danish and German.

Offline Szemerényi

• Anny Roader
  • We all ride the red and white gallop
« Reply #262 on: February 22, 2018, 10:37:23 am »
Any language learners in here?  Just finishing my thesis on the dialectology of the Nuristani languages of eastern Afghanistan. Learning 4 new languages that no one cares about to write a reseach paper no one will ever read is the most futile thing i have done in my life, but at least it was lots of fun :D It's a re-evaluation of the cladistic position of Prasun, if there's anyone in here who has extensive knowledge of indoiranian languages ::) Hopefully it can turn into a phd-project about the language situation in the Hindukush region in prehistoric times. Comparative linguistics on phd-level is the extremesports of language learning. You have to be batshit insane to find any enjoyment in it.

Couldn't find a general thread about linguistics to put it in, so i decided to dig this up. Mods are free to move this, if there is a better place for it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 11:06:39 am by Szemerényi »

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: February 22, 2018, 02:06:37 pm »
Any language learners in here?  Just finishing my thesis on the dialectology of the Nuristani languages of eastern Afghanistan. Learning 4 new languages that no one cares about to write a reseach paper no one will ever read is the most futile thing i have done in my life, but at least it was lots of fun :D It's a re-evaluation of the cladistic position of Prasun, if there's anyone in here who has extensive knowledge of indoiranian languages ::) Hopefully it can turn into a phd-project about the language situation in the Hindukush region in prehistoric times. Comparative linguistics on phd-level is the extremesports of language learning. You have to be batshit insane to find any enjoyment in it.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: February 22, 2018, 02:16:46 pm »
Sounds about as useful as my Dutch.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: February 22, 2018, 02:18:09 pm »
I’ve been in Spain since end of December. I have to say immersing yourself in it makes it quicker to learn. I’m watching Spanish tv. The part of Spain I’m in is 90 per cent Spanish. I have no choice but to learn it. it’s strange I can sit in a pub now and understand phrases and what people are talking about (not word for word) but I get the general conversation. Somebody earlier mentioned trying to forget English whilst your learning and that’s true! The structure of it is totally different. They speak ridiculously fast too. I just make sure if I’m going to buy something etc I’ll rehearse it first! Sounds stupid but just for example a packet of fags or something or a beer with some crisps etc simple things. The natives appreciate you trying too. The biggest barrier for me was they understood English but don’t like speaking it. So I’d just go around ordering in English and I had to get that out of my head. Now when I’m ordering I’ll try it in Spanish. It’s the embarrassment factor for me but once your over that broken Spanish etc they appreciate it your trying to learn etc. Another thing I do is watch wheel of fortune in Spanish! Crazy how much that helps! I can’t speak the language but I can hold certain small conversations and am fairly confident because people help you out. time will tell if I’m approaching it the right way but it helps because it’s forced upon you somewhat. I would like to be able to become fluent but I won’t put a timescale on it.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Szemerényi

• Anny Roader
« Reply #266 on: February 22, 2018, 07:16:30 pm »
Sounds about as useful as my Dutch.

Nah, you can get a paid trip to Khyber Pakhtunkhwa to do fieldwork, if that's your jam.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: February 24, 2018, 11:17:24 am »

Couldn't find a general thread about linguistics to put it in, so i decided to dig this up. Mods are free to move this, if there is a better place for it.

Woah,mate, the best I can do is I understood all that without resorting to Google.  Bet you're popular with Afghan village girls ;D

« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 11:31:28 am by surfer. Fuck you generator. »

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #268 on: February 24, 2018, 12:42:01 pm »

I've read A Short Walk In The Hindukush, not sure if I can help?
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline androulla

• aka little monkey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #269 on: February 25, 2018, 01:47:01 am »
Fluent in Greek - mother tongue.

Can speak a little Spanish too but would love to learn the language fluently.

Offline Szemerényi

• Anny Roader
« Reply #270 on: February 25, 2018, 02:32:35 am »
Woah,mate, the best I can do is I understood all that without resorting to Google.  Bet you're popular with Afghan village girls ;D

Haven't been there yet, but i'm seeking grants to do linguistic field work when i'm done with my thesis. Sadly Nuristan is infested with radical islam and warlords that use it as a refugee, so you can't enter the valley at the moment. It's extremely hostile even by Afghan standards. The plan is to get practice in some of the neighboring regions until things get safer like Kashmir, the western part of Himalaya or the Wakhan Corridor.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 02:34:29 am by Szemerényi »

Offline Szemerényi

• Anny Roader
« Reply #271 on: February 25, 2018, 02:35:43 am »
Fluent in Greek - mother tongue.

Can speak a little Spanish too but would love to learn the language fluently.

Can you read Ancient Greek as well?  ;D It's one of my obsessions. The Olympic odes of Pindar are the best poems ever written about sports.

ἄριστον μὲν ὕδωρ, ὁ δὲ χρυσὸς αἰθόμενον πῦρ
ἅτε διαπρέπει νυκτὶ μεγάνορος ἔξοχα πλούτου:
εἰ δ᾽ ἄεθλα γαρύεν
ἔλδεαι, φίλον ἦτορ,
μηκέθ᾽ ἁλίου σκόπει
ἄλλο θαλπνότερον ἐν ἁμέρᾳ φαεννὸν ἄστρον ἐρήμας δι᾽ αἰθέρος,
μηδ᾽ Ὀλυμπίας ἀγῶνα φέρτερον αὐδάσομεν.

'Greatest is water, and gold that burns like fire
in the night, supreme of all lordly wealth.
But if you want to sing of contests
don't search the sky for a star brighter than the sun
that burns each day in the lonely sky,
and let us not declare a contest greater than Olympia'.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 02:52:54 am by Szemerényi »

Offline Szemerényi

• Anny Roader
« Reply #272 on: February 26, 2018, 12:08:29 am »
I've read A Short Walk In The Hindukush, not sure if I can help?

Is it a good read?

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Learning a new language
« Reply #273 on: October 31, 2019, 02:19:47 pm »
 :)

Anyone currently doing so, and if so any tips/suggestions you'd recommend?

Netflix has been helpful for me, listening and then reading with the proper captions in the same language

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
Re: Learning a new language
« Reply #274 on: October 31, 2019, 02:52:08 pm »
Always told Duolingo was a great app to learn on. Free as well

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: October 31, 2019, 03:47:34 pm »
Yup, it helps with basic vocabulary at the very least, there's grammar work in there as well

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: October 31, 2019, 03:52:27 pm »

Yep, I'm using duolingo to learn Spanish
Jurgen YNWA

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #277 on: October 31, 2019, 10:50:51 pm »
Yep, I'm using duolingo to learn Spanish

I used it so I could coach some players who didn't speak much English. Great app, although my Spanish is very functional to the game, and the grammar is all over the place. But as long as I'm understood, I'm okay with that.

Although I do have to ask people to slow down when they talk to me. Spanish is a very fast language!
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Willi

• ave a sensa yuma? It appears e will :) Needs an 'h' in 'Cef', clearly! Appy retirement, fella :)
  • Kopite
Re: Learning a new language.
« Reply #278 on: October 31, 2019, 11:34:45 pm »
I've read here people writing that a language is very fast but, in fact I believe it is just because the brain can't process it fast enough. I'm sure people learning english have the same problem.
I moved to Germany in 1992 with relatively little knowledge of German. Going to the pub helped!!!!! I live in the south, the dialect is Schwäbisch and I now find that to be 'normal'. People from other parts of Germany can be more difficult to understand, you have to concentrate. That said, they can't understand what the people here say!! A bit like asking a foreigner to learn english in Newcastle.
My aim this winter is to learn Spanish. I hope by the end of winter to be able to read well and to be able to watch and understand TV. Then in summer on my hols to speak as well.

• Legacy Fan
Re: Learning a new language.
« Reply #279 on: November 1, 2019, 12:00:17 am »
I've read here people writing that a language is very fast but, in fact I believe it is just because the brain can't process it fast enough. I'm sure people learning english have the same problem.
I moved to Germany in 1992 with relatively little knowledge of German. Going to the pub helped!!!!! I live in the south, the dialect is Schwäbisch and I now find that to be 'normal'. People from other parts of Germany can be more difficult to understand, you have to concentrate. That said, they can't understand what the people here say!! A bit like asking a foreigner to learn english in Newcastle.
My aim this winter is to learn Spanish. I hope by the end of winter to be able to read well and to be able to watch and understand TV. Then in summer on my hols to speak as well.

I feel like when the German language was in its inception, they purposely made the grammar rules illogical just to have a laugh. Fucking hell, it's torture :D