Author Topic: Threads - alternative Twitter discussion  (Read 3545 times)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Threads - alternative Twitter discussion
« on: July 7, 2023, 09:53:26 am »
Threads already has 60 million signed up. That’s got to hurt Musk
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Threads - alternative Twitter discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 7, 2023, 10:33:09 am »
As of 5 hours ago they had 55m new users to get that from. If they get around to resolve the EU issues they'll literally turn Twitter into a modern day MySpace.

Have they launched in India? Instagram has a few 100m users there.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: July 7, 2023, 10:57:06 am »
Have they launched in India? Instagram has a few 100m users there.

Yep and about another 100 countries (No EU).
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 7, 2023, 01:30:24 pm »
A lot of right wingers on Twitter are boycotting it as it’s apparently leftist… this is a good thing. If it wasn’t owned by meta, I’d welcome it. Not a bad user experience.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 7, 2023, 01:31:40 pm »
The Instagram hook-up will probably tip the balance but Threads is a bit... crap.

The size of the company that Meta is, the Twitter-sized market they're trying to attract, that they're really just copying existing Twitter features and that they've presumably had a decent sized run-up to this.  I don't think I'm wrong to have expected a bit more.

Maybe the initial success in signing people up will see Meta go all in now and ultimately blow Twitter out the water.  Twitter themselves are clearly in no state to respond if Meta do up the ante.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #5 on: July 7, 2023, 01:38:57 pm »
Its amazing how quickly a lot of big companies, celebrities and politicians etc  have moved to the new platform
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 7, 2023, 01:52:55 pm »
The Instagram hook-up will probably tip the balance but Threads is a bit... crap.

The size of the company that Meta is, the Twitter-sized market they're trying to attract, that they're really just copying existing Twitter features and that they've presumably had a decent sized run-up to this.  I don't think I'm wrong to have expected a bit more.

Maybe the initial success in signing people up will see Meta go all in now and ultimately blow Twitter out the water.  Twitter themselves are clearly in no state to respond if Meta do up the ante.

They likely rushed it out to capitalise on the Twitter shitshow. I don't think outright cloning features is an issue really either, the problem with Twitter isn't its functionality.

It's a shame they beat BlueSky to the punch, people were clearly waiting for an alternative to jump on and out of all the aspiring competitors, the worst one got there first.

Online MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 7, 2023, 07:56:21 pm »
I already prefer it to twitter. Shame it’s not a new startup though. Also a shame I had to signup to Insta.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: July 7, 2023, 08:25:20 pm »
I'll laugh my head off it Trump starts posting on Threads before returning to Twitter.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #9 on: July 7, 2023, 10:52:59 pm »
I really feel like we needed another social media platform.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: July 7, 2023, 10:58:27 pm »
A lot of right wingers on Twitter are boycotting it as it’s apparently leftist…  Not a bad user experience.

I left twitter quite soon after that "free speech" hypocrite too over as it was quite clear, the radical elements  had essentially been given the keys to the asylum. I've never used Facebook or Instagram but i thoroughly enjoyed Twitter at one point so may give this a try in due course.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 8, 2023, 08:51:44 am »
I left twitter quite soon after that "free speech" hypocrite too over as it was quite clear, the radical elements  had essentially been given the keys to the asylum. I've never used Facebook or Instagram but i thoroughly enjoyed Twitter at one point so may give this a try in due course.

My wife is enjoying it. She found Twitter too toxic and spammy. Her thoughts are that threads feels very millennial in it’s user base.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: July 8, 2023, 09:35:04 am »

Zuck spent too much money, time and resources trying to get his Metaverse up and running. Then AI comes along and the focus in tech has shifted direction.

Musk's recent actions sounded like someone who was worried that the level of openness on Twitter meant it was fairly easy for it to be mined for data for someone building AI. Zuck has just gone and created another channel for him to mine data from his existing customer base. Now he's got news from Facebook, images catalogue from Instagram and live public sentiment from Threads.

Once he's got his AI finely tuned 'it' will build his Metaverse.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #13 on: July 8, 2023, 12:25:09 pm »
I'm glad they are working on these things

Instagram head says a Threads ‘Following’ feed is ‘on the list’ of upcoming features

Meta’s highly anticipated Twitter competitor, Threads, debuted yesterday and already has more than 23 million signups. The app is pretty similar to Twitter, but it’s missing a key feature: a feed that only displays posts from people you follow. Currently, the app has a single feed that shows you posts from both people you follow and people you don’t. On the other hand, Twitter features a “Following” feed and a “For You” feed.

Instagram head Adam Mosseri responded to calls for Threads to have a Following feed and said it was “on the list” of features that the platform would like to add in the future. Mosseri made the comment in response to a post from YouTuber Marques Brownlee. Like Twitter, Instagram also features a “Following” list view in addition to the default algorithmic feed, so it makes sense for Threads to have one as well.

Other features that Mosseri noted are “on the list” include the ability to switch between different Threads accounts and the option to edit posts. Mosseri also stated that several basics are still missing from the app, such as the ability to search hashtags. It’s worth noting that although users have asked for the ability to double tap to like a post, Mosseri said that Meta tried to implement this, but the problem is that you need to be able to tap on a thread to open the full thread, and that “you don’t want to have an element that you can both tap and double tap.”

https://techcrunch.com/2023/07/06/instagram-head-threads-adding-following-feed-other-additional-features/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAEcpyCJa29oR2kIdsPSe6BjCpySho0_fB1KWzvOvi_FasOPe6r0BngpV_UxlhJzqYqDtmqyYkM-w0VgbaTsOVdOxIFxqUhUtyJbfI8wPSsFanF6zvDWQNPqj7twisDf_OFbDYPhhToFJ1c9sIZPMVxnT6Y4ubuvcQ7QgdvMYvBXR

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: July 8, 2023, 12:45:21 pm »
I'm glad they are working on these things

Instagram head says a Threads ‘Following’ feed is ‘on the list’ of upcoming features

Meta’s highly anticipated Twitter competitor, Threads, debuted yesterday and already has more than 23 million signups. The app is pretty similar to Twitter, but it’s missing a key feature: a feed that only displays posts from people you follow. Currently, the app has a single feed that shows you posts from both people you follow and people you don’t. On the other hand, Twitter features a “Following” feed and a “For You” feed.

Instagram head Adam Mosseri responded to calls for Threads to have a Following feed and said it was “on the list” of features that the platform would like to add in the future. Mosseri made the comment in response to a post from YouTuber Marques Brownlee. Like Twitter, Instagram also features a “Following” list view in addition to the default algorithmic feed, so it makes sense for Threads to have one as well.

Other features that Mosseri noted are “on the list” include the ability to switch between different Threads accounts and the option to edit posts. Mosseri also stated that several basics are still missing from the app, such as the ability to search hashtags. It’s worth noting that although users have asked for the ability to double tap to like a post, Mosseri said that Meta tried to implement this, but the problem is that you need to be able to tap on a thread to open the full thread, and that “you don’t want to have an element that you can both tap and double tap.”

https://techcrunch.com/2023/07/06/instagram-head-threads-adding-following-feed-other-additional-features/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAEcpyCJa29oR2kIdsPSe6BjCpySho0_fB1KWzvOvi_FasOPe6r0BngpV_UxlhJzqYqDtmqyYkM-w0VgbaTsOVdOxIFxqUhUtyJbfI8wPSsFanF6zvDWQNPqj7twisDf_OFbDYPhhToFJ1c9sIZPMVxnT6Y4ubuvcQ7QgdvMYvBXR

Just an update on users. It was @ 80m 12 hours ago.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 8, 2023, 01:25:48 pm »
I don't get why ppl are kinda downplaying Threads coz its functionality isn't 100%.

it was rushed to market to hit Twitter hard when Musk choked the volumes  last week.  the missing functions will be added very quickly.

if Meta can get the EU to Ok it, Twitter will be dead. and hopefully Musk along with it.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #16 on: July 8, 2023, 01:51:50 pm »
is there a website for this? or is it just an app?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: July 8, 2023, 02:31:44 pm »
is there a website for this? or is it just an app?

App only currently, there is a website but it's just linking to the app - https://www.threads.net/ - think they do need a webapp but less personal data to steal there.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #18 on: July 8, 2023, 02:36:01 pm »
App only currently, there is a website but it's just linking to the app - https://www.threads.net/ - think they do need a webapp but less personal data to steal there.

Ah ok cause I tried threads.com and it said we are not linked to instagram, so figured probably not the right place.

Thanks

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: July 8, 2023, 05:27:13 pm »

Indeed.

The main reason I don't have any social media on my phone at all.

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2023, 06:59:05 am »
It's pretty amusing to see Musk tank twitter and then get kicked in the balls by this, but the unbridled launch into the arms of Zuckerberg is depressing.  He may not be as edgelord douchey as Musk but he's arguably more dangerous.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 08:16:10 am by leroy »

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2023, 07:11:13 am »
I’ve been banned from threads… :lmao

I’ve only made one post and replied to 3 others… all of those were just “Hi” so I think it’s banned me for repetitive posting :lmao

It may have some huge flaws
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2023, 08:14:32 am »

I’ve only made one post and replied to 3 others… all of those were just “Hi” so I think it’s banned me for repetitive posting :lmao

Hi Tepid

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2023, 10:09:11 am »

Your reputation precedes you.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2023, 10:18:49 am »

Your bloody lucky they haven't been able to implement the 'repetitive posting' ban algorithm on here.  ::)

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2023, 11:15:04 am »
Your bloody lucky they haven't been able to implement the 'repetitive posting' ban algorithm on here.  ::)
:lmao

Now unbanned however
W

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2023, 12:06:33 pm »
Not planning to sign up,

I hope these billionaires do have a cage match and injure eachother

Just proof really that wealth doesn't change you for the better

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2023, 10:20:10 pm »
Musk wants a literal dick-measuring contest, apparently. And yes, I mean literal.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/musk-dick-measuring-contest/

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2023, 09:27:54 am »
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 09:42:11 am by BarryCrocker »

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2023, 06:26:44 pm »
I actually thought this was about 'Threads' and looking for hints for the forthcoming apocalypse.  As you were.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2023, 08:49:31 pm »
 ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/IEaNTLA_zgY&amp;ab_channel=RyanGeorge" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/IEaNTLA_zgY&amp;ab_channel=RyanGeorge</a>

Popcorn's Art

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2023, 10:44:42 pm »

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2023, 11:04:48 pm »

Well, if they do this it will probably kill twitter stone dead in six months
W

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2023, 11:12:49 pm »

They've also admitted to being very loose on monitoring posts.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2023, 11:29:59 pm »
Threads was rushed to market to hit Musk while he was (once again) effing around with Twatter.

my guess is they were planning maybe 12 months development/testing before rolling it out, so there will be a lot of functional / operational upgrades to introduce.

the key will be not rushing them out - if the platform tanks they'll lose a lot of the goodwill they're building, so they'll need to test / stress test very well.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2023, 12:22:37 am »
Well, if they do this it will probably kill twitter stone dead in six months

Yes he also said they are working on things like direct messaging and hashtags and trending

I hardly use it right now, still use Twitter but if they bring those things in there will no need to be on Twitter. just having a following stream will be enough for me that the Twitter feed I use 90% of the time

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2023, 07:38:17 am »
Threads is clearly still in Alpha stage that's been rushed into Beta to kick Twitter whilst it's down.

Musk can kick and scream all he wants about Meta pinching the code, but even if he wins a court case on the issue, he's not going to be paid $44bn in damages. Twitter is in a state because of what he has done to it. And he did what he did because he thought he had a captive audience who had no credible alternatives. As it turned out, all that was needed was a half credible alternative.

I was joking earlier about Donald Trump joining Threads before returning to Twitter after truth social dies. I think that might actually happen now, and would be the death knell for Twitter. (Assuming Threads even allows him on.)

I wonder, how many ex-Twitter staff are Meta hiring to get Threads working?

Popcorn's Art

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2023, 07:43:11 am »
if you're on android you can join the beta through the play store and (do their QA for them) get access to the new features before they launch.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2023, 07:49:26 am »
I actually thought this was about 'Threads' and looking for hints for the forthcoming apocalypse.  As you were.

That always springs to mind when I see the name of this app

It's a bit disconcerting, I mean I don't wanna be thinking of the film Threads all the time. It isn't Christmas morning!!

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2023, 08:26:48 am »
You'd think and EDIT button would be on the original release, how did they miss that one?