Author Topic: Albert Riera  (Read 337159 times)

Offline Suspect Package.

• Legacy Fan
  • Wingers? ....wait, we do have wingers now?
Re: Albert Riera
« Reply #240 on: September 2, 2008, 04:43:35 pm »
I'm still surprised by how many people are judging him on that short spell at Man City.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it the Man City side of Stuart Pearce?

One where he was supplying the amazing strike combo of Corradi and Samaras?

The one that created a record for the lowest number of goals scored at home in a season (10)?

It's not crazy to say it was ... a difficult side to make an impression in.
I'm really hoping Sturridge busts out the wacky dip when he scores.

Offline Alonzo

• Main Stander
« Reply #241 on: September 2, 2008, 04:44:41 pm »
Anyone would think Guillem Balague was an Espanyol fan!

In fairness he is a good player and is so much better than what he shown at City.

Thats cos he is haha! No blag.

From the very little of him i have seen he looks physically capable of playing in the prem. Strong, quite skillful, good technique, good cross...and although people say hes quite slow he doesnt look that slow. Time will tell but hopefully he can produce his best form for us.
Betfair referral code: UEFVVXMMG

Offline jcalla

• Main Stander
« Reply #242 on: September 2, 2008, 04:45:43 pm »
I know it is a mistake to pass judgement on a player from these 'best bits' complilations, however one thing is apparent to me from Riera's compilations and that is that he will come into our squad as one of our most technically gifted players.

Personally I believe we are severely lacking in the flair and creativity department, and providing Benitez does not shackle Riera to too great an extent with tactical instructions it looks he could be a very useful asset to our first team squad. In particular he looks like he may have the attributes to help unlock the defences of opposition who 'park the bus' in front of us. I really hope he works out, and I think he could prove to be an absolute bargain at 8m!

Re Ballague's comments about Riera needing an arm around his shoulder, given that Benitez helped bring the best out of Torres in his first season I am hoping he will able to do the same with Riera. Moreover the friendly and outgoing man-motivator Sammy Lee should be able to assist in this respect.

I don't think we could have done better with the money available to us in all fairness. Looks to me like we may well have got ourselves an absolute bargain here!
« Last Edit: September 2, 2008, 04:48:43 pm by jcalla »
"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." Bill Shankly

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• custom title thread lurker - easily amused
  • Legacy Fan
  • through the wind and rain (and fog)
« Reply #243 on: September 2, 2008, 04:50:01 pm »
I know it is a mistake to pass judgement on a player from these 'best bits' complilations, however one thing is apparent to me from Riera's compilations and that is that he will come into our squad as one of our most technically gifted players.

Personally I believe we are severely lacking in the flair and creativity department, and providing Benitez does not shackle Riera to too great an extent with tactical instructions it looks he could be a very useful asset to our first team squad. In particular he looks like he may have the attributes to help unlock the defences of opposition who 'park the bus' in front of us. I really hope he works out, and I think he could prove to be an absolute bargain at 8m!

Re Ballague's comments about Riera needing an arm around his shoulder, given that Benitez helped bring the best out of Torres in his first season I am hoping he will able to do the same with Riera. Moreover the friendly and outgoing man-motivator Sammy Lee should be able to assist in this respect.

I don't think we could have done better with the money available to us in all fairness. Looks to me like we may well have got ourselves an absolute bargain here!

I agree, solid post.

Offline barnowl123

• Anny Roader
« Reply #244 on: September 2, 2008, 04:54:38 pm »

Agreed, plus Sammy speaks pretty good Spanish so that should help the lad settle.

Offline 4-2-3-1

• dyscalculic
  • Kopite
« Reply #245 on: September 2, 2008, 04:57:36 pm »
Thats cos he is haha! No blag.

From the very little of him i have seen he looks physically capable of playing in the prem. Strong, quite skillful, good technique, good cross...and although people say hes quite slow he doesnt look that slow. Time will tell but hopefully he can produce his best form for us.

I know mate, i was just a little bit surprised he was was bigging him up so much though. Although i think he will surprise a few and we were crying out for a player like him so i think its a good deal.

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: September 2, 2008, 04:58:49 pm »
I know mate, i was just a little bit surprised he was was bigging him up so much though. Although i think he will surprise a few and we were crying out for a player like him so i think its a good deal.

Rafa seems very happy we got him too, doesn't he?

Offline Suspect Package.

• Legacy Fan
  • Wingers? ....wait, we do have wingers now?
« Reply #247 on: September 2, 2008, 05:01:15 pm »
hes no where near the likes of petrov

You made me go whore the stats to see how they measure up.

Last seaon

Martin Petrov
Games 38
Goals 5
Assists 9
Goals/Game 0.13
Assists/Game 0.23

Albert Riera
Games 30
Goals 4
Assists 6
Goals/Game 0.13
Assists/Game 0.2

They're actually very similiar, though of course Riera's stats were in a different Espanyol side in a different league.

We'll have to see whether playing alongside better players in a harder league will change anything. Of course he'll have Rafa motivating him, now so that has to be worth something  :scarf
I'm really hoping Sturridge busts out the wacky dip when he scores.

Offline Rafadom

• Anny Roader
« Reply #248 on: September 2, 2008, 05:01:26 pm »
hes no where near the likes of petrov. another "pennant" type signing to appease the peasants

Well in terms of pace no he isnt near petrov but in terms of ability on the ball and actually thinking of the game he is superior, Reira has one of the best first touches in pace when collecting the ball on the move as well as stationary we have very few players within the side that can do this.

Reria can affect areas centrally and wide which is allways important within Rafa system, he also rarely looses the ball which is something Benni is a culprit of.

He will give the midfield alot of short options he wont just pass and run he will want to work the ball the full back and midfield which is something our left midfield is lacking.

Offline Midekima

• Kopite
« Reply #249 on: September 2, 2008, 05:04:46 pm »
                   Reina

Arbeloa Carra Agger Dossena

Gerrard Alonso Mach  Reira

Torres Keane

1) Babel
2) Beneyoun
3) Kuyt
4) Skrtel
5) Cavalieri
6) Aurellio
7) El Zhar

Bottom line Gerrard gives us pace and penetration on the right wing and scored loads of goals when he has played there. With Torres on the right side of the front two he will still work closely with him. Reira gives natural left side balance and centre mid is solid if not attacking.
« Last Edit: September 2, 2008, 05:09:08 pm by Midekima »

Offline maher

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone..
« Reply #250 on: September 2, 2008, 05:08:22 pm »
the most important thing is that he came to us because he loves the club and refused a bigger deal from everton just because he wanted to play for us..so i guess he will give his best to prove his self..

Welcome Riera :wave

Offline jcalla

• Main Stander
« Reply #251 on: September 2, 2008, 05:08:43 pm »

Personally I think he is just the type of player we are in need of and I doubt that Barry would have been as effective if he were signed with the left sided midfield role in mind. However I don't think this is the position Barry was earmarked, rather I believe he was seen as a direct improvement and upgrade on Alonso in the centre by Benitez. I would have thought it the only reason why it was a case of either/or between Barry and Riera was purely due to finances, rather than Benitez only wanting the one player given our weakness in wide areas. I'm glad we ended up with a wide man rather than Barry in all honesty.

IMO the key to how successful Riera is for us will be primarily dependent upon how just how Benitez chooses to employ him within our tactical system. My only concern is that Riera isn't shackled with overly stringent and restrictive tactical duties. I think it is a fair observation to say that Benitez isn't a manager who believes in allowing his players the greatest amount of creative freedom. I don't intend that as a criticism as such and believe that Benitez is intelligent enough to adapt his tactical ethos to allow flair players greater creative freedom with which to influence tight games.
« Last Edit: September 2, 2008, 05:10:56 pm by jcalla »
"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." Bill Shankly

Offline chromed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #252 on: September 2, 2008, 05:12:44 pm »
There have been successful wingers who haven't been blessed with huge pace.

Figo, Beckham....spring to mind.

Granted they are right wingers, but I'm assuming your point applies to both wings.

As long as he can cross the ball, and score a few, he will do alright.
YNWA - JFT97

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #253 on: September 2, 2008, 05:47:55 pm »

He's even been known to put on some excess weight if his confidence suffers or he loses focus.

Oh no he's the next John Robertson (of Nottingham Forrest)........ok so Robertson was a pretty decent winger who played for Brian Clough.

#JFT97

Offline dmn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: September 2, 2008, 05:53:31 pm »
hes no where near the likes of petrov.
That's correct, IF you're talking about a 100m sprint race.

When it comes to pace, Petrov is waaaay better, but for everything else Riera is better.

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: September 2, 2008, 05:53:38 pm »
As long as he can cross the ball, and score a few, he will do alright.

He's got a terrific cross, shot and volley on him.

He almost scored with a 30yd volley against Sevilla in the UEFA Cup Final last year. Hit the crossbar in fact. He also scored in that game.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #256 on: September 2, 2008, 08:08:31 pm »
Riera brings creative flair to the table and with the assistance of Rafa and the other Spanish players to settle him in I think he will turn out to be a really shrewd signing for us. He wanted to play for Liverpool, I've followed his quotes closely and he always wanted to come here so he will give his all for the club. I am predicting him to make a big impact in the United game.
YWNA

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #257 on: September 2, 2008, 08:14:57 pm »
He's got a terrific cross, shot and volley on him.

He almost scored with a 30yd volley against Sevilla in the UEFA Cup Final last year. Hit the crossbar in fact. He also scored in that game.

With his right peg

Offline Mackinaw Peach

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Wigan address
« Reply #258 on: September 2, 2008, 08:42:05 pm »
Well, after seeing some of his stuff in Spain, I'm pretty excited by this signing.

He does look  to offer something we're missing, namely a bit of creative magic and perhaps something unexpected - the Luis Garcia factor, if you will. I agree with whoever said that our biggest problem is the congestion we face when dominating/controlling the game. I'm praying he will have the guile to help unlock those stubborn defences.

(insert usual waiver here) from what I've seen on you tube, he's also got a mean shot. And we all know shots win pots. And even though You Tube can flatter, you'd be hard pressed to find a Jermaine Pennant compilation to match half of Riera's stuff.

Not sure if this has been posted, but here's his debut for Spain vs Denmark in Euro qualifiers. Fast forward to about 1min40 to see a great move he starts and finishes with aplomb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKltH298nvQ&NR=1

More of that, please.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #259 on: September 2, 2008, 08:43:42 pm »
GB on Sky said on his day the best winger in Europe but Rafa needs to keep at him.

Balague's also a big Espanyol fan, so I'm sure he's seen plenty of him. Sounds a bit like Gerrard in that he has to be coddled and appreciated to get the most out of him

Offline Macedonian_Red

• NewsNow. Actually much later. And then probably wrong.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: September 2, 2008, 08:59:03 pm »
hes no where near the likes of petrov. another "pennant" type signing to appease the peasants

If you had the opportunity to watch them both in La Liga, you would know that Riera was very superior to Petrov there ... Anyway, I don't know why I am wasting my time on you ...

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: September 2, 2008, 09:04:00 pm »
Well, after seeing some of his stuff in Spain, I'm pretty excited by this signing.

He does look  to offer something we're missing, namely a bit of creative magic and perhaps something unexpected - the Luis Garcia factor, if you will. I agree with whoever said that our biggest problem is the congestion we face when dominating/controlling the game. I'm praying he will have the guile to help unlock those stubborn defences.

(insert usual waiver here) from what I've seen on you tube, he's also got a mean shot. And we all know shots win pots. And even though You Tube can flatter, you'd be hard pressed to find a Jermaine Pennant compilation to match half of Riera's stuff.

Not sure if this has been posted, but here's his debut for Spain vs Denmark in Euro qualifiers. Fast forward to about 1min40 to see a great move he starts and finishes with aplomb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKltH298nvQ&NR=1

More of that, please.

What a f*cking goal! Great finish from the lad.

He's not as slow as people think, but he's not that fast either.

Offline ..Bruiser..

• A liver bird upon me chest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #262 on: September 2, 2008, 11:23:21 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmVAMIIiSqM&feature=related

That's a good video showing some of his skills. Obviously noone does that every time they get the ball but he has the skills to try stuff, not fanny inside and pass to the full back all the time.
96 friends we'll never forget
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline albiceleste

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #263 on: September 2, 2008, 11:27:29 pm »

That's a good video showing some of his skills. Obviously noone does that every time they get the ball but he has the skills to try stuff, not fanny inside and pass to the full back all the time.

Yes, at least he won't embrace the tactics of our ridiculous friend Dirk, whose wide play consists of receiving the ball in a wide position, looking at the opposing full back,  thinking 'oh fuck, I wont get past him,' and then passing it backwards to the player from whom he received it, or, even better, kicking it against their legs in the hope he might get a throw in. Or Benayoun's limp run at the inside defender/holding midfielder, and subsequent, predictable loss of the ball.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #264 on: September 2, 2008, 11:28:09 pm »
If we're going to use YouTube to judge him then atleast use a compilation of his performances in a single game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeWgBpzU7vk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKltH298nvQ&feature=related

not just the 25 yard screamers.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: September 2, 2008, 11:29:14 pm »

Skills at the right moments in time - not that ridiculous Ronaldo ballet dancing.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: September 3, 2008, 12:03:23 am »
he likes the odd backheel doesn't he. Which is no bad thing in my book, that and the dummy are the two most underused, yet effective(if done correctly) pieces of skills in the game imho.

Can't say he looks slow either, ok, he's not Usain Bolt, but he has a bit of zip about him.

Just hope he isn't stifle or bogged down with Rafa's often overthought approach to the game. Let him do what made the scouts take notice.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2008, 12:07:23 am by Bob Loblaw »

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: September 3, 2008, 12:10:21 am »
Looking at some of his crossing is there any chance we now have a player who can take corners?

Did he take them at Espanyol does anyone know?

Offline liverpoolfcmike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: September 3, 2008, 12:11:57 am »
he likes the odd backheel doesn't he. Which is no bad thing in my book, that and the dummy are the two most underused, yet effective(if done correctly) pieces of skills in the game imho.

Can't say he looks slow either, ok, he's not Usain Bolt, but he has a bit of zip about him.

Just hope he isn't stifle or bogged down with Rafa's often overthought approach to the game. Let him do what made the scouts take notice.

;D ;D

You're absolutely correct, someone call Rafa and give him your number!

Offline BlaugranaPride

• Kopite
« Reply #269 on: September 3, 2008, 12:24:08 am »
What a shit club Espanyol is, but riera is a good player.
MÉS QUE UN CLUB

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: September 3, 2008, 12:28:05 am »
What a shit club Espanyol is, but riera is a good player.

You would say that though! How do you think Finnan will get on there?
"And Israeli aggression will continue unabated. BDS. Armed struggle. Peace talks. Protests. Tweets. Social media. Poetry. All are terror in Israel’s books.” Refaat Alareer
https://www.youtube.com/@refaatalareer9499

Offline phoenician

• Kopite
« Reply #271 on: September 3, 2008, 12:32:24 am »
Yes, at least he won't embrace the tactics of our ridiculous friend Dirk, whose wide play consists of receiving the ball in a wide position, looking at the opposing full back,  thinking 'oh fuck, I wont get past him,' and then passing it backwards to the player from whom he received it, or, even better, kicking it against their legs in the hope he might get a throw in. Or Benayoun's limp run at the inside defender/holding midfielder, and subsequent, predictable loss of the ball.

Why don't you just add something to your signature. It'd save you having to repeat yourself all the time.

Give it a rest.

Offline scoreinaminute

• Anny Roader
  • "Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic." Emlyn
« Reply #272 on: September 3, 2008, 12:56:25 am »
I hope Rafa just says to him "hug the touchline and attack the fullback at every given opportunity and don't worry about wasting all your energy on defending."

Fingers crossed eh!
"If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing." Shanks

Offline RyanNS

• Anny Roader
« Reply #273 on: September 3, 2008, 03:51:27 am »
From what little I have seen of Riera I must say he looks like he may just prove to be an important piece in opening up our attack and breaking down staunch defences. Technically gifted, Riera has the ability to beat his man and drive forward. His  creativity and flair should be put to good use when we run into situations like last week vs Aston Villa. The type of situation where none of our attackers look like the have the slightest ambition in going forward and creating something. Hopefully Riera is able to unlock these tight defences and turn 1 point performances into 3.
Ozzie

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: September 3, 2008, 03:58:36 am »
                   Reina

Arbeloa Carra Agger Dossena

Gerrard Alonso Mach  Reira

Torres Keane

1) Babel
2) Beneyoun
3) Kuyt
4) Skrtel
5) Cavalieri
6) Aurellio
7) El Zhar

Bottom line Gerrard gives us pace and penetration on the right wing and scored loads of goals when he has played there. With Torres on the right side of the front two he will still work closely with him. Reira gives natural left side balance and centre mid is solid if not attacking.

That's our best lineup I think but Rafa won't play it. Unfortunately Gerrard's days on the right are probably over.
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline Macedonian_Red

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: September 3, 2008, 07:41:35 am »
That's our best lineup I think but Rafa won't play it. Unfortunately Gerrard's days on the right are probably over.

Gerrard's days on the right in a 4-4-2 formation are over and that is a good thing as he was too isolated and not used to the best of his potential there ...

However, Gerrard on the right in a 4-2-3-1 formation is a completely different issue and I think we will see lots of that this season ...

Offline tHe^CuLpRit

• Legacy Fan
  • just another Malaysian Red
« Reply #276 on: September 3, 2008, 09:13:01 am »
Songs:
Macarena tune - surely something can be done to that...ehhhh Albert Reira.

Also - could resurrect the Arsenal Vieira song - Riiiiiiiierrra...ooooh, Riiiiiierrra...

Or add him to the La Bamba tune:
Xabi Alonso, Pepe, Reira and Torres....

"We've got Xabi Alonso, Albert Riera, Gerrard and Mascherano-O-oh!"

Got the coat....
As Shankly once said form is temporary, being shite is permanent.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: September 3, 2008, 09:25:15 am »
Bought for only £5.5m according to the Daily Post? Surely this can't be true?

Offline lookieman

• Kopite
« Reply #278 on: September 3, 2008, 09:28:33 am »

Probably Finnan's value was taken into account for the overall price?

Offline Macedonian_Red

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: September 3, 2008, 09:40:17 am »

That is the price with Finnan's fee taken into account ... There are also some add-ons (undisclosed), depending on his success here ...