Author Topic: The Decisions, Decisions Draft - Derby Day Edition - Discussion & Sign Up Thread  (Read 23681 times)

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Here's the modified lineup.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Who is left to pick?  Also, which players are left?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
Who is left to pick?  Also, which players are left?

Just you. You can pick from:

Draftable Players:

GK: Oblak, Taffarel, Alisson, Dasayev

Defenders: Kohler, Coentrao, Vidic, Ruggeri, T.Wright, A.Cole, Aldair, Godin, Piszczek, Briegel, Ramos, Campbell, Jardine, Marzolini, Stam, Cafu,

Midfield: Zidane, Xabi Alonso, Simeone, Rivelino, Fabregas, Gilberto Silva, Paulo Falcao, Rui Costa, Stankovic, Cambiasso, Moller

Forwards: Henry, Romario, Barnes, Raul, Drogba, Hugo Sanchez, Johnstone, Rivaldo, Puskas
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Ta, updated team:

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
Here's the modified lineup.

Well out JSteve!!!  Such a well thought out team. 

Nice triangle up the middle of the pitch (one hero, one likable traitor, and the HC of the team that knocked us out of ECL). 

Mjhalovic is an unbelievable free kick taker and can play a long ball with the best in the world, so we'll have to be very careful with our tackling in our final third (something Zizu can exploit well) and pressuring him when we lose it.  Who will be on free kick duty with Branco's main skill being duplicated by Mjhalovic (Branco can hit 35 yard pelters with the best)  One free kick and two takers.

We'll always have at least 4/5 at home in transition play and only release one marking back at time with Rakitic, so we'll attack with 6 on the counter and defend with 7 in possession in our own defensive third leaving our top three to occupy your back line.

How you get goals in the run of play seems like two main areas  1) Set plays 2) Zizu's creativity  3) Service to Torres and Dalglish

Torres does have pace and can get behind, but we do not play a high line (even though Pagliuca can play the sweeper-keeper role with a high line if we need it).  Instead our tactics will be to keep things compact in the middle and counter quickly to our offensive third.

One issue includes, Dalglish needing some service, I think you will need someone on your team to get 1v1 separation with the ball on the dribble to create in tight spaces.  A lot of roles will fall to Zizu.   Rakitic is quick and does not get beat diving in and Simeone sweeps in front of Baresi and Cannavaro.  Tevez will provide back-pressing to compress play from both ends.  So, we have a plan to address 1 & 2.

My one question involves where is your space going to come from to play into? 

Individual brilliance of Zidane and Vieira and the work rates of Seedorf/Gattuso is a nice balance but who is going to create for your two Liverpool forwards?  Especially, if we place a spy on Zizu with Simeone.

TACTICS
I see this match up as a cagey affair with very little goals --- as team Trend will play on the counter. 

Our goal is to take away the space behind, and make you guys have to play in front of us and be wise in our 50/50s battles.   And when we do get the ball, play quickly up the right side through Alberto (either directly to Hagi/Tevez movement pattern or into a more controlled possession with Rakitic).  On the other side Karl Heinz Schnellinger can ping a ball up to our front three to play direct when we need to and both Batigol and Eto'o can be pests, garbage type knock down win ugly scorers just as they can be elegant and free flowing. 

Plus Schnellinger has power and pace (playing in 4 world cups for Germany - 1958, 1962, 1966, 1970) - his ferocity defending must not be underestimated --- since he played in Italy for 9 years the links with Baresi and Cannavaro, in terms of continuity of the Catenaccio ("the Bolt") will be well understood.   

* Batigol and Eto'o are good in the air so our service will come from flanks (LB/RB) and try to pierce the gaps between Hansen/Mjhalovic. 
* Set pieces are Hagi's domain with Rakitic to provide the right footed service when needed. 
* Branco can be slow, so we will target him in the first 30 hour with pace (Eto'o and a few overlapping runs by KH Schnell)
* Corners, we'll have Alberto, Cannavaro, Baresi, Batigol, Eto'o and Simeone as runners --- 6 outstanding headers of the ball
* Pagliuca was the best penalty save keeper in the history of the Serie A (numbers of saves not percentage - 24 saves from pens)

Pags in Action - Nice Rock Background
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/kkXKvWUlkv0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/kkXKvWUlkv0</a>

Pags Supersonic
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nZbKoKYm80c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nZbKoKYm80c</a>

Pags - Money for Nothing - Dire Straights
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wVGQ37sIFFs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wVGQ37sIFFs</a>

Pags - Only if you like Coldplay and have time to Kill before LFC play
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/aUK3IjvUWsQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/aUK3IjvUWsQ</a>

Either way, its been a helluva of a ride!!!  Good luck JSteve!

My take is that you are going to need to open up with more attackers to break down our 7 behind the ball --- and when you send Branco forward, we are going to attack that space on the counter.  --- In a nutshell, unless we concede a pen or a free kick close to goal.

« Last Edit: April 5, 2019, 03:30:47 pm by The Piss-artist Formerly Known As Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Steve probably has the best midfield I've seen in a draft

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
Steve probably has the best midfield I've seen in a draft

Gattuso is a weak link that could be targeted as he was in the AC Milan side.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan

Very true

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

I might be more inclined to play Viera at DM and let Gattuso be Gattuso as a number 8. 

Since there will be compressed spaces in the midfield (7 players) --- a deeper lying playmaker would be required (something that Vieira has in his game - Gattuso not so much)...  I would have the more technically gifted calm and cooler player in front of Hansen and Mjhalovic than the steel of the bulldog... One wrong foul in front them and G Hagi is working his free kick magic

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/DBA1TS56chA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/DBA1TS56chA</a>
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
My side. Kohler replaces Lucio.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
Sorry for the delay lads, was hung up at work. Here's my new team.

« Last Edit: April 6, 2019, 02:15:31 am by Lastrador »

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
From 2pm today when the games finish we’ll have another round of steals. This time you can only steal from the side you played in the Quarters, so no need for an order.Same rules as before though, no first round picks can be stolen, steals are additions to your squad and your final team must fit in the draft criteria.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
The semi finals will be;

Tubby v PoetryInMotion

Betty Blue v JSteve

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
Considering I had Ramos in my side to only lose by 1 vote to a team that will now be competing in the semis is a bit of an achievement I think. Can take that forward in to the next draft for some confidence  ;D
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Thanks for all your work, Mikey. Really appreciated. I'd like to humbly retract my statement about not being sure about this draft! It was a good'un once I bothered to read the rules!  :-X  :D

Trying to decide between this -

Or this (ignore the screwed up arrows!) -

Hard to break up my beautiful diamond, but the digger-R. Carlos combo is sheer beauty.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
No problem. It s been good to run one finally. Think it’s worked out quite well.

Ooh tough decision, two of our all time greats! If you went with Barnes you could keep the three in midfield deeper as in the diamond with Dunga still a DM.

The Barnes one might be a bit forced is all I’d think. Suarez and Romario is equally fantastic too!

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
No problem. It s been good to run one finally. Think it’s worked out quite well.

Ooh tough decision, two of our all time greats! If you went with Barnes you could keep the three in midfield deeper as in the diamond with Dunga still a DM.

The Barnes one might be a bit forced is all I’d think. Suarez and Romario is equally fantastic too!

Yep, really great work mate  :)  Hope we can come up with more good ideas like this one in the future.

Yeah, I tend to agree. Kind of shoehorning Barnes in there because I love him. Happy to instead just add Suarez. I'll knock a new formation up in a bit.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Considering I had Ramos in my side to only lose by 1 vote to a team that will now be competing in the semis is a bit of an achievement I think. Can take that forward in to the next draft for some confidence  ;D

Definitely mate! Well out.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Thanks for all your work, Mikey. Really appreciated. I'd like to humbly retract my statement about not being sure about this draft! It was a good'un once I bothered to read the rules!  :-X  :D

Trying to decide between this -

Or this (ignore the screwed up arrows!) -

Hard to break up my beautiful diamond, but the digger-R. Carlos combo is sheer beauty.

If you want my opinion, I would say holy fuck, either way :)

Only player that is not my cup of tea was De Boer --- but probably more due to how many quality players he was playing next too -- and his managerial record outside of Holland. 

But otherwise, holy hell.  You brought the smell.  The smell of victory (imo).

JSteve - inspired choice my friend of Carlos Alberto  :wellin :thumbup
« Last Edit: April 8, 2019, 09:30:57 pm by The Piss-artist Formerly Known As Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
Take good care of Michael chubby boy.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

JSteve's team is also pretty formidable, so not expecting an easy ride. De Boer was very classy in his day, an excellent ball playing defender who could bustle about as well. If I could get to Nesta then I'd probably swap him, but I think an upgrade in attack is the main priority this round.

New formation -

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
If we need to start today, can someone post my lineup with Zico swapping in for Bergkamp as I'm travelling & will reach home by evening.

If not urgent, I'll be back & do it.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
If we need to start today, can someone post my lineup with Zico swapping in for Bergkamp as I'm travelling & will reach home by evening.

We can wait, I’ll start the semis tomorrow morning.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
We can wait, I’ll start the semis tomorrow morning.

Thanks mate. Need to mention about the great work you're doing with this draft  :)

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

I'd be inclined to switch Zico to AM and have Di Stefano at SS  :)

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
I'd be inclined to switch Zico to AM and have Di Stefano at SS  :)

Yes, that's a real close one to ponder about, both of them were adept at creating & scoring that a narrow 4-3-2-1 is also a possibility, thoughts?

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

Nice. There's also an argument for keeping Bergkamp in there (whose a RAWK favourite) and pushing Di Stefano up top with poor old Greavesy giving way.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
Once the semi finals are finished tomorrow morning, we’ll have one last steal round to add another player to your squad before the final.

Also what tends to be good before finals is a write up of your side. We could depending on thoughts even include the substitutes (the 3 left over players) in the lineups and in the write ups so people can judge the full ensembled squads for each finalist.

Happy to have thoughts taken on this as they’re just ideas.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Mikey, the write-up & substitute ideas sound good to me. Only thing is we might need some time to do write-up & plan the subs (a day after the steak picks maybe?).

Also, you could do the same for the other semi-finals for 3rd-4th (like World Cup format) if they are interested.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
Mikey, the write-up & substitute ideas sound good to me. Only thing is we might need some time to do write-up & plan the subs (a day after the steak picks maybe?).

Also, you could do the same for the other semi-finals for 3rd-4th (like World Cup format) if they are interested.

Happy to give you a couple of days to do the write up if you both wanted too.

Yeah makes sense. They'd be short of the player you guys steal so would have to use their previous squad players who'd been benched previously,

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Happy to give you a couple of days to do the write up if you both wanted too.

Yeah makes sense. They'd be short of the player you guys steal so would have to use their previous squad players who'd been benched previously,

Sorry, currently away on holiday so not too at it following things in here. I can try to do a write up later if PIM is into the idea. Otherwise we'll probably end up having a discussion in thread, I'd imagine.

*Goes to steal a keeper to fuck one of the other teams  ;D

In all seriousness, I think I'm going to take Hansen to replace Trend's favourite De Boer. I could also get Dalglish, but it would be at the expense of Romario or Luis, which would seem a bit silly.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
We are just going a final now.

No need for a write up separately if you just want to let it happen in the thread too.

Also Dalglish was a first rounder so can’t pick him anyway.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 03:14:35 pm by mikey_LFC »

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Also Dalglish was a first rounder so can’t pick him anyway.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! Much easier decision then  :)

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Have made the steal pick. Will post my lineup tomorrow.