Author Topic: Liverpool news thread  (Read 124869 times)

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
Re: Liverpool news thread
« Reply #840 on: October 8, 2023, 07:21:01 am »
I’m not sure the protestors really know what the ‘closure’ is about, if it ever happens

Offline Spezialo

• Knocked out of the world cup. Should have had a pen. As if you wouldn't confront the ref.
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #841 on: October 8, 2023, 01:33:53 pm »
Hope they throw the book at the pair of them.

According to the Echo website, a second person has been arrested.

3rd person now.

trying to track down a hackney which another suspect jumped into and got off.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #842 on: October 8, 2023, 07:40:32 pm »
3rd person now.

trying to track down a hackney which another suspect jumped into and got off.

Was the Audi stolen? Can't imagine people just abandon an Audi and try to make a run for it.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #843 on: October 9, 2023, 11:24:43 am »
Was the Audi stolen? Can't imagine people just abandon an Audi and try to make a run for it.
The driver was on drugs and uninsured. No doubt trying to save his own skin by getting off.

The unfortunate fella run down by him is still in critical condition with life threatening injuries.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #844 on: October 9, 2023, 06:28:48 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/oct/06/liverpool-announces-it-will-bring-buses-back-under-public-control

Liverpool will bring its buses back under public control, after the mayor announced he was introducing franchising to allow the region to set routes and fares.

The decision means the Liverpool region will become the second place to overturn decades of bus deregulation in England, after Greater Manchester brought in its Bee Network two weeks ago.

The metro mayor, Steve Rotheram, said the move “marked the start of a new era for public transport” in the region, adding: “For too long, our residents have been forced to contend with a second-class service that places profit before passengers and leaves behind the very people who need it most.”

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #845 on: October 9, 2023, 06:34:46 pm »
The driver was on drugs and uninsured. No doubt trying to save his own skin by getting off.

The unfortunate fella run down by him is still in critical condition with life threatening injuries.

Praying the victim of this senseless incident pulls through. Selfish cnuts, the lot of them.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #846 on: November 19, 2023, 01:53:19 am »
This popped up on my FB feed. I'm assuming it's in relation to the people who died under the flooded bridge?

QUEENS DRIVE CLOSURE UPDATE | Gully flood sensors will be installed in early December, but unfortunately there have been supply issues with the variable message signage and we estimate it will take around three months for delivery and installation. However we are exploring additional temporary variable message signage and will provide an update in the coming weeks.

It has already been agreed that the road will not reopen until the sensors and signage are installed. We will shortly be starting work on a full risk assessment so that we are in the best possible position to reopen the road if we believe the new measures are satisfactory.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #847 on: November 29, 2023, 03:38:11 pm »
I've seen the bus service levels, that Arriva & Stagecoach are providing over the festive season, & it's shocking, Boxing Day services have been drastically reduced, & almost no services on New Years Day, Stagecoach timetables are not up, yet but Arriva's are up.

Arriva 
Boxing Day & New Year's Day
Generally no services, except for special timetables on services 10A, 12, 13, 26, 27, 56, 58A, 166, 188, 201 and 204.

https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/seasonal-bus-times/christmas-and-new-year

Stagecoach
Tuesday 26th Dec – Special limited timetables will operate on some of our routes in Chester, Wirral, Liverpool and South Lancashire areas.

Monday 1st Jan – No services will operate, with the exception of Maghull circulars (31-33) and Football buses for the Liverpool FC home game.

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/service-updates/serviceupdatesarticle?SituationId=ID-17/11/2023-23:38:59:995
#Sausages

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #848 on: November 29, 2023, 04:53:54 pm »
Bloody hell. Bus companies knowing they're on the way out the door perhaps?

Thank feck I live within walking distance of the city centre, but it's going to be awful for a lot of people trying to get around.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #849 on: November 29, 2023, 04:56:59 pm »
I see the cooling towers at Fiddlers Ferry power station are being demolished sometime Sunday morning, that'll change the scenery permanently.
#Sausages

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #850 on: November 29, 2023, 05:03:41 pm »

Thank feck I live within walking distance of the city centre, but it's going to be awful for a lot of people trying to get around.

Thank fuck i'm getting a lift back on Boxing Day, staying at my sisters Christmas Day, getting a lift their & back, theirs a few boozers in my area so i don't have to that walk far.
#Sausages

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #851 on: November 29, 2023, 06:23:12 pm »
Sooner this new bus company comes in the better.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #852 on: November 30, 2023, 01:38:12 am »
Interestingly.

New night service introduced, operating between Birkenhead Bus Station and Allerton Library via Liverpool City Centre. Operating Thursday night/Friday mornings, Friday night/Saturday mornings and Saturday night/Sunday mornings only.
Please note that weekly, monthly, saveaway and dayrider tickets will not be accepted and a standard fare of Ł2 will apply.

https://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/travel-updates/travel-news-update-3-december-9-december-2023/

N1 timetable
https://merseytravel.adidocdn.dev/timetables/Bus/N1-7Dec23.pdf
#Sausages

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #853 on: November 30, 2023, 08:03:56 am »
Interestingly.

New night service introduced, operating between Birkenhead Bus Station and Allerton Library via Liverpool City Centre. Operating Thursday night/Friday mornings, Friday night/Saturday mornings and Saturday night/Sunday mornings only.
Please note that weekly, monthly, saveaway and dayrider tickets will not be accepted and a standard fare of Ł2 will apply.

https://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/travel-updates/travel-news-update-3-december-9-december-2023/

N1 timetable
That is interesting mate. My cousin lives in Birkenhead and loves coming to Liverpool for bevs.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #854 on: November 30, 2023, 10:19:06 am »
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Shanklygates

• This is not a Custom Title.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The runaway train.....
« Reply #855 on: November 30, 2023, 10:48:31 am »
 Sad news that. He came to our Summer Ball at Carnatic and a dance with a group of us. Nice fella

RIP Dino  :'(
We are a team of one half.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #856 on: November 30, 2023, 12:45:03 pm »
Eyyy a night bus
I don't drink anymore (might over xmas, we will see) but phew can relax a bit more over coming back late

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #857 on: November 30, 2023, 01:33:08 pm »
Eyyy a night bus
I don't drink anymore (might over xmas, we will see) but phew can relax a bit more over coming back late

Hopefully the night bus isn’t full of violent, aggressive drunks. ;D

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #858 on: November 30, 2023, 09:08:08 pm »
Interestingly.

N1 timetable

Same in Manchester now, Ł1 for kids and Ł2 for adults
Jurgen YNWA

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #859 on: November 30, 2023, 09:12:02 pm »

I wonder how many drivers and depot staff said fuck off and wanted the day off and how many wanted to work? Basically working boxing day fucks your Christmas Day bevvies up as you daren't risk having more than a couple and nothing in the evening.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #860 on: November 30, 2023, 11:26:56 pm »
I wonder how many drivers and depot staff said fuck off and wanted the day off and how many wanted to work? Basically working boxing day fucks your Christmas Day bevvies up as you daren't risk having more than a couple and nothing in the evening.

I remember, not so long ago, when free buses would run on Christmas Day. Not many, but enough. I imagine there's always enough drivers to volunteer for the double or triple time they will undoubtedly make. I think the issue has been for many years that bus companies just didn't want to pay that money.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #861 on: December 1, 2023, 06:47:02 am »
I remember, not so long ago, when free buses would run on Christmas Day. Not many, but enough. I imagine there's always enough drivers to volunteer for the double or triple time they will undoubtedly make. I think the issue has been for many years that bus companies just didn't want to pay that money.

Buses are still running on Christmas day, only a few services, but they are free, here's the timetable for this year.

https://merseytravel.adidocdn.dev/timetables/Temporary/Christmas-Day-Only-Booklet-2023.pdf
« Last Edit: December 1, 2023, 06:54:26 am by Statto Red »
#Sausages

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #862 on: December 1, 2023, 06:51:07 am »
Interesting one, proposal of a tidal barrage over the Mersey with potential for people to walk or cycle between Wirral & Liverpool

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-67569363

Main issue is where would it be located as the Mersey is very busy with ships of all sizes from Garston/Eastham to the estuary?
#Sausages

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #863 on: December 1, 2023, 08:33:59 am »
Interesting one, proposal of a tidal barrage over the Mersey with potential for people to walk or cycle between Wirral & Liverpool

Main issue is where would it be located as the Mersey is very busy with ships of all sizes from Garston/Eastham to the estuary?

60 odd years ago I had a scrap book full of fanciful schemes - nuclear powered planes, modules on the moon and a fanciful bridge joining Eastham to Garston. ;D

Wasn’t the idea of a tidal barrage considered ten years ago and scrapped?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-13875032

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #864 on: December 1, 2023, 09:43:48 am »
Problem with these types of grand schemes is they would cost many many billions, when ultimately it would probably be much cheaper and easier to produce the same amount of power via wind turbines. It's interesting to see the article from ten years ago was claiming "enough power for 200,000 homes", whilst the latest one is claiming "enough power for 1 million homes".

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #865 on: December 1, 2023, 10:43:12 am »

If I were to guess, I'd say north of Seacombe ferry terminal, maybe close to the Ferry Pub on the promenade. Would probably reach across to the Stanley Dock/BMD area - then the Bitters can walk back to Wales after losing.

Any further south and it complicates the Mersey Ferry route; but further north it would interfere with traffic to Liverpool 2. Although I supposed Woodside to the Albert Dock could be an alternative location, or Otterspool to Port Sunlight.

"Wirral to Liverpool" is a fairly general term, but you would assume if they're aiming for pedestrian use then the Liverpool side would give access to the city centre.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #866 on: December 1, 2023, 10:44:13 am »
What’s a tidal barrage parson my ignorance?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #867 on: December 1, 2023, 11:03:27 am »
It's a fantastic idea that's been knocking about since the 1980's and I worry will still be getting discussed in the 2080's.

My brother-in-law use to work in a job centre in Liverpool in the '80's when the idea was getting traction. He was trying to find work for a long term unemployed bloke and set up an interview somewhere. The bloke told him not to worry, he'll 'get a start when they build the barrage on the Mersey'.

Hahahah, still standing down the prom waiting for the cranes.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #868 on: December 1, 2023, 11:17:18 am »
It's a fantastic idea that's been knocking about since the 1980's and I worry will still be getting discussed in the 2080's.

My brother-in-law use to work in a job centre in Liverpool in the '80's when the idea was getting traction. He was trying to find work for a long term unemployed bloke and set up an interview somewhere. The bloke told him not to worry, he'll 'get a start when they build the barrage on the Mersey'.

Hahahah, still standing down the prom waiting for the cranes.

Just googled it (didn’t do GCSE Geography!). Would have to be built tall enough/with enough gaps in to let the cruise ships in and out? And then it provides a path/road on the top then? See you at the Pier Head on Monday, I’ll bring the Hi-Viz.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #869 on: December 1, 2023, 12:27:32 pm »
I’ll bring the Hi-Viz.
:)
I'd love it to happen if it's practical, I'm sure I read somewhere that there's technical issues concerning the tides, not just financial constraints.
Capon as Project Manager and Chopper as Chief Construction Engineer and it might be a success.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #870 on: December 1, 2023, 12:30:20 pm »
:)
I'd love it to happen if it's practical, I'm sure I read somewhere that there's technical issues concerning the tides, not just financial constraints.
Capon as Project Manager and Chopper as Chief Construction Engineer and it might be a success.

Think they’re busy on the racehorse project John. One thing at a time please.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #871 on: December 1, 2023, 01:07:38 pm »
Hopefully the night bus isn’t full of violent, aggressive drunks. ;D

Apparently it is, me mate who's used em way back told me some tales!

I CARE NOT THOUGH

I say that now, wait til I start posting annoyed Stories From the Night Bus

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #872 on: December 1, 2023, 04:29:56 pm »
Apparently it is, me mate who's used em way back told me some tales!

I CARE NOT THOUGH

I say that now, wait til I start posting annoyed Stories From the Night Bus

Set that topic up mate!

Popcorn's Art

Offline call me red

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #873 on: December 1, 2023, 07:18:20 pm »
[/qhttps://tethys.pnnl.gov/project-sites/la-rance-tidal-barrageuote]

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #874 on: December 13, 2023, 01:16:09 am »
Merseytravel have finally released the full Christmas & New Year transport guide.

https://merseytravel.adidocdn.dev/timetables/Temporary/Christmas-and-New-Year-23-24v3-compressed.pdf
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 01:17:50 am by Statto Red »
#Sausages

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #875 on: January 12, 2024, 01:48:49 pm »
Radio City is being renamed to Hits Radio in April

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/radio-city-announce-name-change-28421439

The only way to read the awful echo site, turn java script off & adblockers on.
#Sausages

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #876 on: January 12, 2024, 02:02:58 pm »
Radio City is being renamed to Hits Radio in April

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/radio-city-announce-name-change-28421439

The only way to read the awful echo site, turn java script off & adblockers on.

Not much more to the story really. it literally says:

"It’s Radio City but with a new name!’"

North Liverpool's Best Music Mix

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #877 on: January 15, 2024, 10:12:44 pm »
Hattons Model Railways announces permanent closure

https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2024/01/hattons-model-railways-announces-permanent-closure.html

I felt quite sad reading this story and my thoughts are with the staff who will be losing their jobs. I remember my dad taking me to the shop in Smithdown Road when I was a kid, probably in the late 70s or early 80s and I thought it was an amazing place, I was hooked. It was a place he himself used to visit as a kid, probably in the 50s, he also was quite shocked and saddened by the news. It almost feels as if part of your childhood has disappeared.
 :(

Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #878 on: January 27, 2024, 04:57:40 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/jan/27/building-showing-signs-of-collapse-after-huge-fire-in-liverpool

A building is “showing signs of collapse” after a huge fire in Liverpool city centre.

Firefighters were called to the blaze on Fox Street shortly before 2.20pm on Saturday and arrived to find a four-storey building “well alight”.

The building was showing signs of collapse and fire crews were evacuating buildings, Merseyside fire and rescue service said.

Shoppers watched plumes spread across the city centre and the smoke could be seen rising above Goodison Park during Everton’s FA Cup tie against Luton Town.

The fire service is urging people to avoid the area and nearby residents and businesses to close windows and doors.

A statement on Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service’s website read: “Fire crews have been called to a large fire on Fox Street, Liverpool city centre, L3.

“Twelve fire engines and two aerial appliances are in attendance. Crews were alerted at 2.18pm and on scene at 2.23pm. Crews arrived to find a four-storey building 100 metres by 50 metres well alight.

“The incident has been divided into sectors, with firefighters wearing breathing apparatus fighting the fire with main branch hoses. The building is showing signs of collapse and fire crews are evacuating buildings.

Popcorn's Art

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #879 on: January 27, 2024, 06:13:17 pm »
That area has had a few dodgy developments done , I know this one was quarter built eyesore a d the vacant plot in front of it was the subject of an article a week ago about Robbie Fowler being the advertising face of the developments and people losing huge sums investing in it