Author Topic: Atmosphere at Anfield  (Read 1768444 times)

Offline Teapot Bob

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Atmosphere at Anfield
« Reply #14640 on: April 1, 2024, 11:43:45 am »
What was it like yesterday?

Wasn't great at all, especially given where we are in the season. Parts were OK but too many sustained periods of quiet when those of us trying to get it going were fighting an uphill battle. Songs not catching on. We've had some good ones in the last couple of months, yesterday not so much.

Klopp did his thing where he said he enjoyed the atmosphere and then talked about everyone not letting the nerves dictate the mind-set. Said we have a better chance if everyone pulls together sort of thing. Wasn't directly talking specifically about the noise in the ground... but think that's clearly what he was talking about. So let's up our game!

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #14641 on: April 1, 2024, 11:46:45 am »
Wasn't great at all, especially given where we are in the season. Parts were OK but too many sustained periods of quiet when those of us trying to get it going were fighting an uphill battle. Songs not catching on. We've had some good ones in the last couple of months, yesterday not so much.

Klopp did his thing where he said he enjoyed the atmosphere and then talked about everyone not letting the nerves dictate the mind-set. Said we have a better chance if everyone pulls together sort of thing. Wasn't directly talking specifically about the noise in the ground... but think that's clearly what he was talking about. So let's up our game!

Early Sunday kick off never helps (losing the hour on top) and the pressure to win knowing City-Arsenal playing right after and then we're 1-0 down within a minute. Palace early Sunday as well. I'm guessing Spurs will be moved to the later Sunday game.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline stonecold_jpm

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14642 on: April 1, 2024, 11:53:13 am »
What was it like yesterday?

Poorest we’ve had for a while to be honest, day tripper central on a bank holiday weekend. Add on the tension from a tight game where the win was imperative and then you have those who like to go through the old song repotoir at the strangest of times, so yep it had all the recipes for a poor atmosphere.

Offline Teapot Bob

• Kemlynite
« Reply #14643 on: April 1, 2024, 12:02:48 pm »
Early Sunday kick off never helps (losing the hour on top) and the pressure to win knowing City-Arsenal playing right after and then we're 1-0 down within a minute. Palace early Sunday as well. I'm guessing Spurs will be moved to the later Sunday game.

I take your point and no doubt that can play a part. But im not sure those sort of details should be determining whether we properly get behind the lads for a 3 way title fight in Klopp's last games as our manager. We know we can make a bit of noise when we want to because we've done it quite recently. Of course there are explanations (some more valid than others) for whenever it's flat, and nerves are real at this point. But anfield at its best can make our players feel 10 feet tall, and I struggle to relate to those who go the game and don't want to add to the noise of the 12th man - especially in the current context. I'm hopeful the place will be more alive for the remaining few homes

Offline Kloppage Time

• Anny Roader
  • ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
« Reply #14644 on: April 1, 2024, 12:18:54 pm »
From the Brighton match thread, be proud!

My first time in Anfield, it really does leave places like Old Trafford, the various Emirates and Stamford Bridge in the dust for atmosphere, light years ahead.

https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/liverpool-vs-brighton-hove-albion-official-match-thread.407231/page-35#post-11078087

Anfield is the best experience available to travelling fans in England. The stadium, the singing, the atmosphere, the surrounding streets and murals, the sense of heritage, and obviously the football they're playing. A pretty unbeatable package IMO.

https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/liverpool-vs-brighton-hove-albion-official-match-thread.407231/page-35#post-11078250
Anyone can have a good day, but you have to be able to perform on a bad day.

Jurgen Klopp

Online damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14645 on: April 1, 2024, 12:55:20 pm »
Thought it was ok for a 2pm Sunday kickoff against a mid table side. Some of the biggest reactions were due to the shite officiating. Brighton supporters seemed like a decent lot, respectful when it mattered.

You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #14646 on: April 1, 2024, 12:58:15 pm »
Hilarious how we make excuses for a lack of atmosphere with early Sunday kick off this, bank holiday weekend that then jump straight on a player thread and slag them to high heaven for being off form.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline zamagiure

• tujenkins
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14647 on: April 1, 2024, 01:06:17 pm »
It was ok, nothing special. It picked up when we went on front but the offside goal seemed to spook everyone and it became a very nervous situation.
mines a pint

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14648 on: April 2, 2024, 02:19:50 pm »
i'm usually on the Kop but have ended up with some Annie Lowers this half of the season. i actually thought it was poor!? maybe it's a perception thing, but it just felt pretty flat. could literally hear a pindrop at points. and i've been in plenty bad 3pm matches, it just felt pretty flat all round

a few people who'd paid a stupid amount to be there too, who'd knocked off at about 85minutes weirdly.
YNWA.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #14649 on: April 2, 2024, 03:59:17 pm »

My first time in Anfield, it really does leave places like Old Trafford, the various Emirates and Stamford Bridge in the dust for atmosphere, light years ahead.

https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/liverpool-vs-brighton-hove-albion-official-match-thread.407231/page-35#post-11078087

Anfield is the best experience available to travelling fans in England. The stadium, the singing, the atmosphere, the surrounding streets and murals, the sense of heritage, and obviously the football they're playing. A pretty unbeatable package IMO.

https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/liverpool-vs-brighton-hove-albion-official-match-thread.407231/page-35#post-11078250

They're okay Brighton fans in general. Helps that the city has its own vibe to it and sense of place, rather than Tory suburbia or some shithole in the Midlands. Very complimentary towards Mac as well and they fucking hate Chelsea.

The new stand should help a lot though, as it brings more noise and accoustics to that end.
« Last Edit: April 2, 2024, 04:04:47 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #14650 on: April 2, 2024, 06:13:12 pm »

Luton fans were similarly complimentary over the 2nd half atmosphere recently too, though it was much louder for that than it was on Sunday. In fact there was twenty minutes or so in that game which I've  enjoyed more than anything since about 2019 in terms of the match-going experience. That's not to say big atmospheres are alien to a long-time lower league club but in that sort of stadium with that sort of support in pursuit of success, there's nothing else like it in England.

It's ether been first leg at home - which makes it just a first half of the tie - or we've won well away in the first leg which then takes the tension out of it a bit for the Anfield game. Therefore Atalanta won't be that big European night but if we get through the semi final would bring that.

In the league obviously Wolves would be massive if the title is on the line. Spurs promises to be a big one as well. Hoping for more low key wins against Sheff U and Palace without the stress and drama because it catches up with you having to go flat out every game.

I think if we go in to the Wolves match top and needing a point/three for the title you'd see scenes perhaps only bettered by St Etienne or Chelsea '05. Spurs match is the closest to the 30th year anniversary of the old Kop's final game and I think there's already been word of that being celebrated in some way, maybe a flag day or something.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #14651 on: April 2, 2024, 07:00:27 pm »
On disgraced cakes’ post above, that period of time between chasing the equaliser against Luton and chasing the goal to go ahead is the best atmosphere I’ve felt in the place for a sustained period in a league match in years. Beat even the very good atmosphere in the City game.

Yesterday seemed more a combination of nerves and fury. At 1-1 there was a spell where the sound and atmosphere picked up but the cheer at the final whistle was massively one of relief.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14652 on: April 2, 2024, 08:43:00 pm »
https://twitter.com/KouroshAMM/status/1774578787490955648?s=19

Are we going to make a RAWK tiktok against Sheffield Utd on Thursday? Jesus christ.

Offline fridgepants

• Main Stander
  • They should let everybody be a giant for a day
« Reply #14653 on: April 3, 2024, 11:07:14 am »
Every so often I keep remembering this and wondering how the thread starter got on https://www.reddit.com/r/Liverpool/comments/1bdtemk/is_it_common_to_order_an_uber_from_liverpool_to/

Was all set to try and get a ticket to tomorrow night's game after registering for the sale and then realised there was no way for me to actually get there and back thanks to train strikes and the nightbus consequently selling out.

I listened to the Fulham game on the radio and the sound coming from the ground was immense, came across much more clearly than on TV - was it just that that was a mental game or is Sky just a bit rubbish at allowing it to come through? Some guy near John Murray was giving it Ring Of Fire for about ten minutes straight.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14654 on: April 3, 2024, 11:17:14 am »
Going tomorrow with the kids, we'll be hoarse by FT I can guarantee that
Jurgen YNWA

Offline tunred

• Main Stander
  • ici c'est liverpool
« Reply #14655 on: April 4, 2024, 10:12:34 pm »
thought upper annie was brilliant tonight

Offline mattyyt

• Anny Roader
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #14656 on: April 4, 2024, 10:50:40 pm »
Not gonna say it nicely anymore, fuck off shouting “shout” at Gomez you nobheads.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #14657 on: April 4, 2024, 10:57:26 pm »
Not gonna say it nicely anymore, fuck off shouting “shout” at Gomez you nobheads.

I think the Premier league should seriously look at docking us points because of this.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #14658 on: April 4, 2024, 10:59:16 pm »
I think the Premier league should seriously look at docking us points because of this.

They just have done.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14659 on: April 4, 2024, 11:01:08 pm »

He can be a bit quiet to be fair.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline fridgepants

• Main Stander
  • They should let everybody be a giant for a day
« Reply #14660 on: April 5, 2024, 07:35:52 pm »
I just want him to get a goal so that we, and the commentators, can all just move on with our lives.

Also Jurgen said he'd give his wife some money when it happens, she can treat herself to one of the fancy £5 meal deals they do now.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14661 on: April 5, 2024, 08:41:22 pm »
Wolves winner to take down number 20 would do!

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #14662 on: April 5, 2024, 08:49:37 pm »
It has definitely become less noticeable over the TV in the last few games so at least a few are stopping.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Oh Jimmy Jimmy

• Main Stander
« Reply #14663 on: April 5, 2024, 09:09:28 pm »
thought upper annie was brilliant tonight

It’s been like that since it opened. A heady mix of day trippers who are thrilled to be at Anfield and who know and want to sing the songs.  And locals who have been on the waiting  list for years and are happy to lead them. Think Jurgen appreciates the new dimension.

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #14664 on: April 5, 2024, 10:44:54 pm »
Quote from: Harvest Fields
i watched the chelsea game at my sisters. her 12 year old son is severly autistic and i forgot myself and jumped up screaming at the goal and he went nuts. screaming and shouting. scared the fuck out of me. apologised to my sister as i thought id upset him, turns out he was joining in.

Offline SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
« Reply #14665 on: April 7, 2024, 10:47:07 pm »
What's the new Diaz Bella ciao song?
YNWA

Online bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #14666 on: April 11, 2024, 09:22:46 pm »
Fans and players rubbing off on eachother it seems. No one sounds or looks arsed.

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14667 on: April 11, 2024, 09:25:16 pm »
Atalanta have been unbelievable…..made us look rubbish today.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #14668 on: April 11, 2024, 09:28:31 pm »
Fans and players rubbing off on eachother it seems. No one sounds or looks arsed.

Looks like both the players and the crowd turned up tonight expecting an easy victory. Zero fight or urgency on display from anywhere.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14669 on: April 11, 2024, 09:30:36 pm »
Atalanta have been unbelievable…..made us look rubbish today.

They've been workmanlike, and energised.

We've been utterly awful all over the pitch, for the whole game.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14670 on: April 11, 2024, 10:11:08 pm »
Great last European match at Anfield for Klopp

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #14671 on: April 11, 2024, 10:19:00 pm »
No one was arsed really.
:D

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14672 on: April 11, 2024, 10:24:06 pm »
No flags though, that showed 'em.

Offline Teapot Bob

• Kemlynite
« Reply #14673 on: April 11, 2024, 10:44:05 pm »
That was dire. Beyond pathetic.

Wasn't just because the performance was so bad either. There was no energy in the ground from our lot. Anyone who goes regularly knows we can be as quiet as any fan base, but we're supposed to turn up in the right moments - that's supposedly what makes anfield famous. Klopp's (probably) last European home. Under the lights. And we serve up that monastic effort. Hard to work out what happened on or off the pitch tonight.

Offline CornerTakenQuickly

• ORIGAAAAAAAAMIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Kopite
  • I am a Liverpudlian and I come from the Spion Kop
« Reply #14674 on: April 11, 2024, 10:46:10 pm »
Just want to get back in the ground for Palace and scream. Should be feral if it wasn't going to be already

Online A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14675 on: April 11, 2024, 10:55:10 pm »
No flags though, that showed 'em.

Said that before the game kicked off - does anyone think the owners give a shit if we bring flags or not. In a massive game, just get the fuck behind the team, wholly. It was a ridiculous decision, that sets a negative tone that the team and staff that went out tonight had fuck all to do with. Whomever drove this got it wrong and needs to give their head a wobble.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14676 on: April 11, 2024, 11:21:46 pm »
The famous European night atmosphere shot down good and proper tonight.  That was about as bad as it gets.  Lethargy on and off the pitch, it’s only Atalanta we don’t need to put in a shift tonight. When visiting fans taunt us about our atmosphere we are always able to say that we deliver when it matters, and nowhere else is like Anfield on European nights. 
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #14677 on: April 11, 2024, 11:28:24 pm »
It’s been the worst European season for years for atmosphere. Tonight topped it off. Not much going on at all. Didn’t feel like a big European night.

It probably did rub off on the players. Just like the need to sub some of our players tonight, it’s a shame we can’t sub off some of the fans too. Loads of empty seats next to us and have been all season. They should’ve be allowed to purchase again

If you’re not bothered or you’re not in the ground to shout, sing, clap or whatever, then just stop going!!

Far too many hospitality and far too many day trippers for a European night. The atmosphere has gone stale

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #14678 on: April 11, 2024, 11:31:06 pm »
Said that before the game kicked off - does anyone think the owners give a shit if we bring flags or not. In a massive game, just get the fuck behind the team, wholly. It was a ridiculous decision, that sets a negative tone that the team and staff that went out tonight had fuck all to do with. Whomever drove this got it wrong and needs to give their head a wobble.
Give over, it was a legitimate protest. As if a lack of flags made the team play poorly or the atmosphere be shite. Be upset after tonight’s defeat by all means but don’t blame the supporters that work hard to make the Kop look great week in week out.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14679 on: April 11, 2024, 11:31:30 pm »

Agreed, a massive shoot yourselves in the foot decision from Spion Kop 1906 and SOS. Yes the lack of consultation with supporters over price rises was wrong, but to throw the teddy out of the pram on a European QF night is incredibly short sighted.  There are other opportunities to make the point.  Our support in general and The Kop in particular is the catalyst for our players and the fear factor for the opposition.  When the Atalanta players took to the pitch with only the sound of their own fans in their ears it must have been one hell of a boost, “hey Anfield is not all it is cracked up to be.”
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 11:38:12 pm by andy07 »
We are Loyal Supporters