Author Topic: Race Across The World (BBC Two)  (Read 8279 times)

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Race Across The World (BBC Two)
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2023, 12:33:20 pm »
Love this show.

Looking forward to this.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2023, 11:19:37 am »
Back next week. Enjoyed the first one. Would love to do this

Check this out if you think it's something you'd like to do:

https://www.lupine.co.uk/race/

Also looking forward to the new series of this. Personally, I wouldn't want to actually race to do something like this, as I would want to see all the sights and enjoy things along the way. But I enjoy watching others do it ;D.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2023, 10:45:55 pm »
Check this out if you think it's something you'd like to do:

https://www.lupine.co.uk/race/

Also looking forward to the new series of this. Personally, I wouldn't want to actually race to do something like this, as I would want to see all the sights and enjoy things along the way. But I enjoy watching others do it ;D.
My Mrs ain't able to join me so I'd be on my own ;D

Thanks though!

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2023, 10:53:33 pm »
I've always wanted to kayak around the UK.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2023, 08:59:04 pm »
Starting right now, 9.00 BBC 1.

We're doing a cross Canada holiday this summer so very interested in this.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2023, 09:40:58 pm »
This Dad is lovely, dunno anyone's name yet

edit: Not the Hugh Dennis one

edit 2: Seeing him from the front he looks nothing like Hugh Dennis
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 09:45:24 pm by rowan_d »

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2023, 08:47:31 pm »
Flipping hell. What a stunning place. This must be one of the few shows where experience outweighs the prize.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2023, 05:35:04 pm »
It’s not a bad programme but it’s obvious they have assistance, such as most of them always being able to find a lift off generous locals, and those jobs they do have to be agreed in advance by the researchers with seemingly no interview process or references required, even if it was just a few hours work.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2023, 06:32:03 pm »
It’s not a bad programme but it’s obvious they have assistance, such as most of them always being able to find a lift off generous locals, and those jobs they do have to be agreed in advance by the researchers with seemingly no interview process or references required, even if it was just a few hours work.
It's not anything more than manual labour? I'm assuming those that have backpacked experience similar situations. Hardly think references etc are required.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2023, 10:27:53 pm »

Nah went to Oz with a grand in my pocket and relied on the goodness of people and odd jobs here and there.no references etc required .plenty of free lifts etc .very doable.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2023, 11:14:11 pm »

Well they do explain that in the show.... They say they have a list of jobs they can do that have been picked out in advance.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2023, 08:31:59 am »
I've started watching the first series and now all I can think about is doing an over-land trip from London to Singapore.

So I just got onto this show, extremely belatedly, and this is basically where I'm at.

Series one was brilliant. Great TV, and really reignited my own desire for adventure. Bit gutted Darron and Alex didn't win it, mind, but then again, I didn't dislike any of them, really. The bit at the end where Josh and Felix don't have enough money to get up the elevator to finish the journey, and Natalie goes down to give them what they need, honestly, I was about in tears. Lovely moment. Despite Josh and Felix doing their best to remind each other how much they'd achieved by getting that far anyway, they would have been absolutely devastated to not sign in at the final checkpoint, last place or not.

Starting season two now (whilst looking up flights to SE Asia)...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 08:33:30 am by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Online JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2023, 10:40:53 pm »
The scenery in this series is absolutely incredible.

Though do think the actual "racing" element isn't nearly as interesting, at least in this week's episode. There's basically one road, so they had two options. Doesn't really give them much scope to problem solve and plan how to win. Also I do feel that these early episodes have been hugely dependent on luck, moreso than in other series. If you happen to be offered a lift by two lovely people who'll basically take you all the way there, you're in business. Otherwise you end up hoping that an odd looking bloke still has space in his dog-filled trailer for the night ;D

Spoiler
Also don't like the twist they've lined up for next week all that much. Feels too early to be booting out the last to finish the next leg!
[close]

Great TV though.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2023, 10:52:32 pm »
Agree with above.

Still a great show but it feels more like a travel documentary than a race so far. Just a case of who can hire a car the quickest.

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2023, 09:15:50 am »
Imagine offering a couple a free room for the night, then you watch the programme the bloke had assumed you're a serial killer and your place is a shithole

The brothers are complete wet blankets so far, and Monique has an air of insincerity about her experience so far. Bit of a weird dichotomy in that you want them to see as much of the country as possible, but when they go out of their way to do it it detracts from the competetive element.

Gonna watch the first two series I think, my mum mentioned the same thing Jersey did where there's much more variety in the way they got about in those. Glad the dad and daughter didn't get the hitchhike first after getting there well after Zainib and Mobeen.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 09:22:04 am by rowan_d »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2023, 11:49:39 am »
Dunno if there was some logistical/political issues but Africa would have been much better.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2023, 11:57:32 am »
Dunno if there was some logistical/political issues but Africa would have been much better.

I honestly expected it to be Africa, although  I don't know enough about the political situation, entry requirements, Covid restrictions, etc.

I wouldn't mind one around East Asia and Australia - lots of island hopping for sure but I think as the more traditional land routes get done they'd have to do island hopping at some point

Online JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2023, 12:10:11 pm »

You could zig zag across the USA in an interesting way, or could have done the US and Canada from Alaska to Florida via XYZ places.

It will presumably change when they get further east and there's a bit more variety to it. But as has been said above, I find it hard to balance the realism of experiences Vs race. The couple taking a 400km detour to go for a plane ride. I mean it's an amazing experience but it's not what you'd do if you actually wanted to win. They didn't get any money or board for it. They also rarely seem to earn much money working, while wasting a day they could be travelling. If all you do is earn enough money to pay for another days room and board it's not really worth it ;D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 12:11:44 pm by JerseyKloppite »

Online BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2023, 11:13:12 am »
$500 on a taxi the first day! :lmao

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2023, 12:07:13 pm »
$500 on a taxi the first day! :lmao

He was having a pint, buying coffees. He definitely going to find this a struggle.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: April 1, 2023, 09:30:33 pm »
Imagine offering a couple a free room for the night, then you watch the programme the bloke had assumed you're a serial killer and your place is a shithole

The brothers are complete wet blankets so far, and Monique has an air of insincerity about her experience so far. Bit of a weird dichotomy in that you want them to see as much of the country as possible, but when they go out of their way to do it it detracts from the competetive element.

Gonna watch the first two series I think, my mum mentioned the same thing Jersey did where there's much more variety in the way they got about in those. Glad the dad and daughter didn't get the hitchhike first after getting there well after Zainib and Mobeen.

Problem is on the other races in South America and Asia, there were ways to get to your checkpoint. On this one there isn’t any so it literally relies on getting a hitch.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: April 1, 2023, 10:53:39 pm »
The locations they are in are stunning. Chose a great place.

Zainib is probably most interesting person in it so far.

« Last Edit: April 1, 2023, 10:55:18 pm by The G in Gerrard »

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: April 5, 2023, 10:20:54 pm »
On episode three and it’s a bit silly thus far. Because there is no public transport, you literally have to rely on meeting someone who gives you their car or a lift. It’s a bit mad that they chose a location where there is no public transport between locations.

Online JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #63 on: April 5, 2023, 10:22:25 pm »
On episode three and it’s a bit silly thus far. Because there is no public transport, you literally have to rely on meeting someone who gives you their car or a lift. It’s a bit mad that they chose a location where there is no public transport between locations.

Agree, though would expect things to improve a bit on that front now.

Does show how amazingly hospitable Canadians are though ;D

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #64 on: April 5, 2023, 11:14:55 pm »
800km and a night behind 4th place

'We were so close'

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2023, 08:06:46 am »
This series is annoying me now which is disappointing as I love this show. Yet another episode where there’s literally one option to get to the finish. The whole concept of racing each other is a bit lost when youre all sat on the same train to the finish line playing Uno with each other.

I’m hoping for a grand finale but I won’t hold my breath. Not sure when it was filmed and if it’s covid related it’s so restricted

Online keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2023, 10:50:43 am »
This series is annoying me now which is disappointing as I love this show. Yet another episode where there’s literally one option to get to the finish. The whole concept of racing each other is a bit lost when youre all sat on the same train to the finish line playing Uno with each other.

I’m hoping for a grand finale but I won’t hold my breath. Not sure when it was filmed and if it’s covid related it’s so restricted
The first two series were brilliant as there weee multiple ways of getting to the checkpoint. This series has even a bit of a shambles despite the unreal scenery and landscape. The two women losing their advantage as they had to wait until sunrise. Doesn’t feel like a race at all. I’d be surprised if they all made it to the end as they’re going through their money so fast.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2023, 11:07:59 am »

To be fair the first couple races had a lot of that as well, everyone rushing to get the same train or ferry, and race leads being wiped out because of it.

I remember in the first one everyone caught up to each other because they all had to take a boat across the Caspian, and then they all got delayed because the boat stopped for like 3 days due to a storm

The only possible transport being a car share is super annoying though, and highly predictable with how bad public transport is in North America

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2023, 11:30:48 am »
Hope Kevin and Claudia run out of money, the annoying pricks.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2023, 11:46:17 am »

I don't mind her but he is a fucking manchild

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2023, 12:55:40 pm »
I’ve only just discovered that this is 8 episodes (plus a bonus end one) not 6 so essentially they’ve only reached half way and haven’t they only got 25% of their budget or something?? Fear not they’ll be gone soon

Offline Craig Mac

• Leeches files boo hiss!
  • Kopite
  • We shall not, we shall not be moved!
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2023, 01:00:19 pm »
Race across the world. Also known as getting a taxi across Canada.  ;D

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2023, 01:51:26 pm »
Stunned that this guy ran a successful pub for years when he's so loose with limited money. His daughter's meltdown annoyed me a bit, but you'd lose your mind if your race partner blew $400 without even consulting you first. Did Ladi and Monique embark the train at a different station to everyone else?

That hotel in Banff looked stunning. Loving the city skylines as well, the skyscrapers and surrounding buildings are in a small enough cluster that you can still see the nature surrounding them rather than being a sprawl.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 01:54:17 pm by rowan_d »

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2023, 08:29:23 pm »
Never understand why contestants get so worked up about winning a checkpoint, to the point of blowing huge amounts of money on a taxi. It really doesn't matter if you are a few seconds/minutes behind at a checkpoint, only at the end or to catch an actual deadline like a ferry/bus/train leaving.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2023, 10:28:58 pm »
Stunned that this guy ran a successful pub for years when he's so loose with limited money. His daughter's meltdown annoyed me a bit, but you'd lose your mind if your race partner blew $400 without even consulting you first. Did Ladi and Monique embark the train at a different station to everyone else?

That hotel in Banff looked stunning. Loving the city skylines as well, the skyscrapers and surrounding buildings are in a small enough cluster that you can still see the nature surrounding them rather than being a sprawl.

That fucking idiot had the nerve to criticise one on the groups for using a taxi, saying they got to a checkpoint the hard way. I’m wishing they run out of the money soon and fuck off out the process.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2023, 10:28:24 pm »
Claudia is fine. Kevin however.... Just doesn't seem to understand what the "game" is.

Canada is one hell of a country.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2023, 02:10:10 pm »
How awkward was that at the dinner table with the religious mentalists, the shots of their faces when they they were told they had Muslim guests.

Brilliant TV. ;D

I'm rooting for them to win.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Komic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2023, 09:44:44 am »
How awkward was that at the dinner table with the religious mentalists, the shots of their faces when they they were told they had Muslim guests.

Brilliant TV. ;D

Rooting for them to win as well, think the cameramen following them has had the best time as well.

Also, to be fair to the Christians they did then take them to a state fair and the train station for free after they got over the initial shock. It was still funny though.

This season does feel different to the others as it seems mode of transport and job selection are the deciding factors instead of travel route like previous series.

Was also very funny when Monique was eulogising her Dad and saying how not all Dads are like that after spending those long train journeys talking to the other daughter.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2023, 02:14:44 pm »

Brilliant TV. ;D

Zainib is great. Mobeen not so much and he keeps wearing that Dutch top (I think it is) which is annoying.

Offline Chavvie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2023, 04:04:35 pm »
Claudia is fine. Kevin however.... Just doesn't seem to understand what the "game" is.

Canada is one hell of a country.

Can’t agree that Claudia is fine. She had a tantrum at the petrol station because they were struggling to get a lift and said she was past caring about what their plan was. Kevin then made the (stupid) decision at the next place to get a cab, probably because he couldn’t handle another meltdown, and she said he should have consulted with her and had cost them the race! Amazing.

Great show and Canada looks beautiful