Poll

Southampton where can they end up? (But mostly Lallana.)

Top 4
31 (3.6%)
Top 6
123 (14.3%)
Top 8
371 (43.2%)
Midtable
264 (30.7%)
Relegation
70 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 858

Author Topic: Southampton FC general discussion thread  (Read 284270 times)

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Southampton where can they end up ?
« Reply #400 on: January 16, 2014, 01:30:02 am »
Strange isn't it, how the team 12 points below has 7 players that we should buy.
It's not strange at all. It's strange you would think it's strange.

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #401 on: January 16, 2014, 01:31:44 am »
Indeed. Only really Lovren, Shaw and Lallana would have a shout of getting anywhere close to our starting 11 at this moment.
Shaw and Lovren are probably the only ones that would actually start Saturday, but that hardly means there aren't 5 or 6 others that would improve us.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #402 on: January 16, 2014, 01:37:17 am »
People overrate a lot of there players. Lallana is the only one who will start in our team. Shaw and Clyne are not as good as Enrique or Johnson although they do have potential to be that. The rest are not that great and probably belong in a team placed 8th-12th.

Offline 666

• Legacy Fan
  • "وقدم ليفربول بالنسبة لي وقدم الأول لليفر
« Reply #403 on: January 16, 2014, 01:43:16 am »
People overrate a lot of there players. Lallana is the only one who will start in our team. Shaw and Clyne are not as good as Enrique or Johnson although they do have potential to be that. The rest are not that great and probably belong in a team placed 8th-12th.

Lallana, Shaw, Lovren and Clyne would be starters for sure. Wanyama and Schneiderlin would be great back ups.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 01:53:23 am by 666 »
"Ливерпуль игроки должны играть, как лев, дать его все. Там должно быть определение, приверженность и решимость быть игроком Ливерпуля".

"Так Роджер Хант пропустив кілька, але він потрапляє в потрібне місце, щоб пропустити їх." ~ Білл Шенклі з репортером

Maestro di lingue, conquistatore del mondo.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #404 on: January 16, 2014, 01:52:05 am »

Won't find many defenders in the league better than Lovren or many midfielders better than Schneiderlin.

We'll see what happens, but I think that team gets sold off, the 7 or 8 of them will end up at teams either in the CL or aiming for it every season. Clyne, Shaw, Lovren, Ward-Prowse, Schneiderlin and Lallana, maybe even Rodriguez. Why are they down in 9th? Well the oldest player of that lot is Lallana at 25. Plus who have they got around them. Fonte, Lambert, Wanyama, Davis, Cork, Boruc. They're premiership players. They're not necessarily starters in a team pushing for CL. But you know what? They only came up a year and a half ago.

I'd be interested to see how far off the top 4 they were if they'd managed to get a Benteke (last seasons form) with the money they've spent on Osvaldo.  There's loads of talent there though, and most of it is going to improve.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #405 on: January 16, 2014, 03:16:24 am »
Shaw, Clyne and Lovren would walk into our team at the moment. I'd be a giddy goat if we could wangle those three.

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: January 16, 2014, 03:55:15 am »
People always crave for the new toy on the block, was this not same at start of season people were asking licking Southampton now they burnt out getting excuses about young team/tired and injuries.

Well its reality this is how football works maybe they should brought experience? maybe they shouldn't of press so hard in first place?

They have few decent players not world beaters and not certain to start in a team.
Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez admitted after the match that the manner of his side's victory had stunned him and he stated: "My problem is that I don't have words to express the things that I feel at this moment"

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #407 on: January 16, 2014, 03:58:45 am »
People always crave for the new toy on the block, was this not same at start of season people were asking licking Southampton now they burnt out getting excuses about young team/tired and injuries.

Well its reality this is how football works maybe they should brought experience? maybe they shouldn't of press so hard in first place?

They have few decent players not world beaters and not certain to start in a team.

Did you read the last few pages, hoss?
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: January 16, 2014, 04:03:56 am »
Did you read the last few pages, hoss?
You mean people wanting like 5/7 players from team in 9? or least 3/4 walking into are team? Which part?  Hoss....
Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez admitted after the match that the manner of his side's victory had stunned him and he stated: "My problem is that I don't have words to express the things that I feel at this moment"

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: January 16, 2014, 04:11:24 am »
Pochettino to Spurs then.

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: January 16, 2014, 04:18:39 am »
It's perfectly rational to recognize a team is much worse than ours and still think they have a numbers of players good enough for us. I'm genuinely baffled that so many seem confused by that.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: January 16, 2014, 04:20:27 am »
It's perfectly rational to recognize a team is much worse than ours and still think they have a numbers of players good enough for us. I'm genuinely baffled that so many seem confused by that.

Indeed, more so considering we have a small squad and the majority of players we would take are still young and have the potential to improve.

It's really not a stretch to say that Shaw, Lovren and Clyne would walk into our starting lineup right now considering the players we have currently playing and their form.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #412 on: January 16, 2014, 04:35:49 am »

Why exactly shouldn't people be 'arse-licking' them though? The core of their squad is still one plucked from the lower divisions. I know they spent 'big' on Ramirez, Osvaldo, Wanyama and Lovren, but they're basically a gang of young players who've come up from the divisions and established themselves as probably a top half club. A season or two of the same investment and they could've kicked on again.

I know people want to be cynical about everything (and Christ knows I could've done without O WOE IS US IF ONLY WE PRESSED LIKE SOUTHAMPTON) but in general I think there's a fair amount to like about them. Them being 9th doesn't make them shit. It's still above where you'd expect a team of young-ish players, a vast majority of whom were playing lower league football 2 years ago, to be.

And to be fair, they do have a better defensive record than us (and have done all season) so again, maybe not so stupid to think a few of their defenders or defensive midfielders (again, got a higher possession average than we do, if anyone's arsed about that one) would get into our team. They've also got higher scoring attacking midfielders than we do. I'm sure plenty of Southampton fans, like a lot of those clubs below us, think we'd probably be swapping positions if they had Suarez and Sturridge. Not saying it's right or wrong, just that they're the big difference makers.

So y'know, there's cases to be made across the board for their players. And there's the other thing as well. It's not about recognizing players who'd walk into our team. It's about recognizing how many of them would improve our matchday squad of 18, which is where we fall behind compared to the 3 teams above us.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: January 16, 2014, 04:42:24 am »
Clyne, Lallana and Schneiderlin.

We should be all over them.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: January 16, 2014, 06:58:03 am »

No one is saying they are bad players, just people are so quick to dismiss are players which funny enough have done overall better than them.

This is not me trying to disrespect Southampton achievements but just like Swansea when they first come up and people were wowed by them. Yet how many of there players are in top teams now?That first come up with them, would Allen moved to Liverpool if it wasn't for Rodgers(by the way i not slating Allen as i am glad he is here now).

There is no doubting they have some good players but shouldn't we really be looking for first team players now? we have so many good youngster coming through who is to know they won't break through next year rather than spend chunk of money on squad players.

For me anyway it just seems like another Spurs in the summer, i am sure some people were planning on switching clubs how far up Spurs ass they were yet they below us? Not sure why we need some of the players Lovren for me not better than Agger/Sakho and he won't be coming here to sit on bench. Shaw Chelsea all day long Lallana for me not better than Countinho and Sterling only going to get better while we have Suso and Ibe to come. Why would we get him when if we get Champions league that money should be going towards world class signing which he is not. I see the point of Clyne at worst Schneiderlin  as well other than that i struggling to see why we would go raiding them.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: January 16, 2014, 07:13:36 am »

So you've just admitted that you understand how Shaw and Clyne would get into our first team as it stands.

That's what people are saying. Those players would improve our first time right now, as would Lovren (for me).

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: January 16, 2014, 07:47:45 am »
So you've just admitted that you understand how Shaw and Clyne would get into our first team as it stands.

That's what people are saying. Those players would improve our first time right now, as would Lovren (for me).
Shaw i said would go chelsea and Clyne yes as kelly not first team for me and Glen getting old so that one player and another at maybe? slightly different to some people going to high as 7 players.

As i said name few of Swansea players that gone on top top sides bar Allen? As i said it was same with Spurs summer just gone and ohh lets not forget Cisse at Newcastle now look at him? how about Ba? few people were dying for these sort of middle table players. Lorven no chance he not better than what we have and not worth paying for 3 choice. In fact i would go as far as saying in recent times how many players that's done well at mid table clubs after one season have gone on top big club and done well. People just look at some players performance in mid table side and don't even think that is massive step up to play for bigger team.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 07:53:16 am by lorenzo23 »

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: January 16, 2014, 09:04:28 am »
Would it be feasible for her to sell the St Mary's stadium for development?

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: January 16, 2014, 09:12:18 am »
I think even Fonte would be a great addition in place of Toure, who doesn't have too many seasons left in him. I'd also take Jay Rodriguez but we have Aspas, Assaidi and Borini to come back. As for all other players alread mentioned, I'd be all over them. Especially Fonte and Lovren.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: January 16, 2014, 09:12:54 am »
I think pretty much everyone in their starting 11 is better than those outside our best XI with the exception of Allen/Gerrard, Agger, Toure and Sterling. So you could pretty much take any of their starting eleven and it would improve our squad.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #420 on: January 16, 2014, 09:15:21 am »
First thing I thought when I heard about Cortese (and as a result, the probable departure of Pochetino) was; "Does this make our trip to St.Marys a little easier?".

I hope so.

It's a massive shame for Southampton as a club though, because they really looked to be building something there.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 09:17:35 am by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: January 16, 2014, 09:34:55 am »
100/1 on Paddy Power to get relegated. Wee £5 in that thank you very much.

That's a waste of £5.

Although, the Leeds squad that got relegated a decade or so ago had a lot of great players, so you might be on to something.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #422 on: January 16, 2014, 10:06:49 am »
I don't get it.  Why would they sell their players?

Are they in financial trouble?

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #423 on: January 16, 2014, 10:22:14 am »

Schneiderlin would be serious competition for Lucas, has been arguably better this year.

Clyne has been far, far better than Johnson  the last 6-8 months. Shaw will be a world beater in a few years. These 3 and Lallana are top 4 players IMO.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: January 16, 2014, 10:35:46 am »
Schneiderlin would be serious competition for Lucas, has been arguably better this year.

Clyne has been far, far better than Johnson  the last 6-8 months. Shaw will be a world beater in a few years. These 3 and Lallana are top 4 players IMO.

I am sorry but that just not the case. Shaw and Clyne are both young and prone to mistakes, if they were Liverpool fullbacks they would have been slaughtered on RAWK for some of there mistakes. The goal Coleman scored against Shaw? If that was Cissokho or Enrique we would never hear the end of it. While they are great prospects I don't think they are better than what we have currently and the for all the talk about the Leaky Liverpool defence and a very good Southampton defence. They have only conceded 3 fewer goals than us and we have been playing with serious injury crisis among back 4 this season. While we have scored 24 more than them.

Schneiderlin is on same level as Lucas and Allen for me. So yes as a squad players they make sense since they are not that far off top 4 quality but I doubt they can be considered improvements on what we have in short term.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: January 16, 2014, 10:37:12 am »

There CEO just left the club, they are surely going to sell all there players and prepare for Relegation now.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #426 on: January 16, 2014, 10:37:53 am »
Ward-Prowse and Chambers don't look half bad as young players too.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #427 on: January 16, 2014, 10:38:42 am »
Schneiderlin is on same level as Lucas and Allen for me.

If Schneiderlin, at Southampton, is at the same level as Lucas and Allen, who are at Liverpool, then I would bet my left nut that he would be a far far better player if he came to Liverpool.

And he is unfortunately. He will improve the starting XI wherever he goes.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: January 16, 2014, 10:39:44 am »
If Schneiderlin, at Southampton, is at the same level as Lucas and Allen, who are at Liverpool, then I would bet my left nut that he would be a far far better player if he came to Liverpool.

And he is unfortunately. He will improve the starting XI wherever he goes.

It doesn't always work like that. See: Charlie Adam. Not that I am saying he is that bad.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #429 on: January 16, 2014, 10:43:09 am »
There CEO just left the club, they are surely going to sell all there players and prepare for Relegation now.

To be fair, there's more to it than that. The reason that Cortese left (reportedly) was because the current owner was looking to sell the club, whereas he thought it was the wrong time to do so. Add to that the previous comments by Pochetino (regarding Cortese) and you've got a potential pressure cooker situation.

So you've got a club who have just lost their CEO, may well end up losing their manager as a direct result, and have an owner looking to offload the club. Will all the unrest and uncertainty have an affect on the players? Well, i'm sure they see what's happening as well as we do.

To conclude that they'll now look to offload their best players is fanciful, I think, but it's hardly a recipe for success.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: January 16, 2014, 10:44:12 am »
That's a waste of £5.

Although, the Leeds squad that got relegated a decade or so ago had a lot of great players, so you might be on to something.

Terrible post. It started off well, basically calling Barney a money wasting nobhead. But then you talked yourself out of it. Have a bit more conviction son.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: January 16, 2014, 10:44:57 am »
And to think a few months ago they were sitting comfortably in the top three.

Offline Macedonian Red Reborn

• Self-professed wool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: January 16, 2014, 10:45:53 am »

I don't think so. The last time I've checked, their owners were amongst the richest in the Premier League.
"If I wanted you to understand, I'd have explained it better" Johan Cruyff

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #433 on: January 16, 2014, 10:49:40 am »

It doesn't always work like that. See: Charlie Adam. Not that I am saying he is that bad.

Lucas came from an unknown league. Pfft who even follows Brazilian league outside Brazil? Gremio? Havent even heard of them. Sounds like an Italian spice. Allen came from a puny Swansea. His only experience was playing in the championship. How desperate must we be to sign a championship player? Henderson and Mignolet came from Sunderland. They can go down to Conference and fight relegation. The only thing they know is how to punch Geordies at the derby. Suarez came from Ajax. Bloody where the hell on the map is it? Oh thats right. Its this grain country between France and Germany. Sterling came from a championship level QPR. Coutinho was an Inter reject. Agger came from a minion Denmark that are always known as the the small country above the mighty Germany. Danish league has 12 teams in the top. Do they even have 12 cities to compete in a league?

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: January 16, 2014, 10:50:58 am »
what if they sell the club to someone richer?

everybody panic!!!!
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #435 on: January 16, 2014, 10:51:15 am »
I don't think so. The last time I've checked, their owners were amongst the richest in the Premier League.

Even though it's fun, why all the talk of signing their players then?

I'm guessing this Italian banker chap wanted to take the club in a different direction and the owners have other ideas so there's a bit of creative difference.  But that doesn't all of a sudden mean that they will sell all their players.

It's not good for Soton though.  Major upheavel so I guess they will go through a period of transition.  It was looking great for them a few months ago but just shows how quickly things can change.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: January 16, 2014, 10:55:50 am »
Lucas came from an unknown league. Pfft who even follows Brazilian league outside Brazil? Gremio? Havent even heard of them. Sounds like an Italian spice. Allen came from a puny Swansea. His only experience was playing in the championship. How desperate must we be to sign a championship player? Henderson and Mignolet came from Sunderland. They can go down to Conference and fight relegation. The only thing they know is how to punch Geordies at the derby. Suarez came from Ajax. Bloody where the hell on the map is it? Oh thats right. Its this grain country between France and Germany. Sterling came from a championship level QPR. Coutinho was an Inter reject. Agger came from a minion Denmark that are always known as the the small country above the mighty Germany. Danish league has 12 teams in the top. Do they even have 12 cities to compete in a league?

But so did lot of other dross we have bought over the years, Voronin, Konchesky, Keane etc etc. Your assumption was that just playing with better players will make him better but in Reality it is more to do with how the Managers utilises the player and whether the players fit the system.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: January 16, 2014, 11:00:01 am »

Last accounts, they were mildly in debt.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #438 on: January 16, 2014, 11:00:47 am »
But so did lot of other dross we have bought over the years, Voronin, Konchesky, Keane etc etc. Your assumption was that just playing with better players will make him better but in Reality it is more to do with how the Managers utilises the player and whether the players fit the system.

Exactly mate. Its about showing potential. Southampton have been our bogey opponent for quite sometime. We have always looked toothless against them and it is due to the coaching of able players in the starting XI, which Schneiderlin is an important part of.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: January 16, 2014, 11:14:57 am »
Exactly mate. Its about showing potential. Southampton have been our bogey opponent for quite sometime. We have always looked toothless against them and it is due to the coaching of able players in the starting XI, which Schneiderlin is an important part of.

They have beaten us twice.S o did West Brom last season. Stoke have beaten us numerous amount of times over the years. All those teams did one thing well and that was press us high up the pitch, that quality alone doesn't make them a great side or Schneirderlin great player necessarily. Don't get me wrong IMO he is a good player but I don't get the fact how people can say that 4-5 of there players will walk into our first XI. There team gets over hyped because they played well against us and that happens because our style of football doesn't match up well against there approach.