Poll

Southampton where can they end up? (But mostly Lallana.)

Top 4
31 (3.6%)
Top 6
123 (14.3%)
Top 8
371 (43.2%)
Midtable
264 (30.7%)
Relegation
70 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 858

Author Topic: Southampton FC general discussion thread  (Read 284093 times)

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Southampton where can they end up ?
« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2013, 12:03:45 am »
He has reportedly fallen out with Pocchetino over his role requirements. To be fair, Ramirez's languid style was never going to dovetail with Pocchetino's philosophy of his forwards and midfield aggressively pressing the life out of the opponents. Either Ramirez has to wait it out until Pocchetino maybe moves onto a bigger club than Southampton or he needs a may to a Serie A or La Liga club to get playing time.

Or he can pull his finger out his arse?

Offline IndianRed

• Legacy Fan
  • Derp Derp
« Reply #121 on: November 11, 2013, 01:15:29 am »
Or he can pull his finger out his arse?

Haha, or that :D

But seriously, it looks like its end of the road for Gaston at Southampton. He's even had his agent mouth off to the press about Pocchetino.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: November 11, 2013, 01:30:14 am »
Another team throwing a wrench into the top end of the table.  They've done well so far, I wonder if their squad can keep it up?  I don't like playing them much... :)

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2013, 04:37:06 am »
They don't seem to be going away do they? There is always a feel good story for a team to start the season. West Brom last year, but then faded away.

Southampton are stronger though, than last years West Brom team, and with a good manger. I'm intrigued to see how long they stick around in the top 6, and if they leave at all.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 04:48:45 am by Number 7 »
YWNA

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2013, 04:43:02 am »
They don't seem to be going away do they? There is always a feel good story for a team to start the season. West Brom last year, but then faded away.

Southampton are stronger though, than last years West Brom team, and with a good a manger. I'm intrigued to see how long they stick around in the top 6, and if they leave at all.

After Christmas, or during the Christmas rush of games. They'll do well to maintain their pace that long. With a bigger squad they might have a chance, but their style of play takes a physical toll, especially without goalscorers.
Better looking than Samie.

Online Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2013, 05:17:50 am »
After Christmas, or during the Christmas rush of games. They'll do well to maintain their pace that long. With a bigger squad they might have a chance, but their style of play takes a physical toll, especially without goalscorers.

Wouldn't be so sure about that. Having a good manger is a great asset around Christmas time, a new wonderkid may be born.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #126 on: November 12, 2013, 05:47:29 am »
Wouldn't be so sure about that. Having a good manger is a great asset around Christmas time, a new wonderkid may be born.
Not sure if deliberate...
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #127 on: November 12, 2013, 06:04:55 am »
Lovren has been a cracking signing for them and their team has a few talents who looks like future England regulars in clyne Ward prowse and Shaw. Also got a nice base in midfield in wanyama and schneiderlin(sp). Lallana at 25 seems one of the older heads along with Lambert. If they can keep that team and strenghten they'll have a really nice starting 11. Also need to keep hold of their manager who's done a terrific job there.

Online Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #128 on: November 12, 2013, 06:09:36 am »
Southampton are stronger though, than last years West Brom team, and with a good manger. I'm intrigued to see how long they stick around in the top 6, and if they leave at all.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #129 on: November 12, 2013, 10:15:22 am »
Could do us a massive favor against the Arsenal.

I think they've got the players and style of play that can hurt the more fancied London team.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2013, 12:19:56 pm »

I think they've got the players and style of play that can hurt the more fancied London team.
If they press them as well as they pressed us then they can very much hurt them I think.
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #131 on: November 12, 2013, 05:01:07 pm »

The longer they stick around the better it actually is for us, because they'll take points off the other top teams.

They play Arsenal, Chelsea, City, Spurs, and Everton - all before the new year.
YWNA

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: November 12, 2013, 05:17:00 pm »

compare the size of their squad to espanyols when he was there....they used to fade a little around march time.

think they may hang on longer as imo their squad is much better.

he had to continually sell their best players too when in spain.
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline Austin Powers

• Fuk Mi? Fuk Yu!
  • Kopite
« Reply #133 on: November 12, 2013, 06:58:54 pm »
compare the size of their squad to espanyols when he was there....they used to fade a little around march time.

think they may hang on longer as imo their squad is much better.

he had to continually sell their best players too when in spain.

Spain have a winter break though

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #134 on: November 12, 2013, 08:50:31 pm »
I am not sure whether Southampton can keep their side together though. In fact,  I would not be surprised if Rodgers plans to raid Southampton either in January or in the summer

Offline IndianRed

• Legacy Fan
  • Derp Derp
« Reply #135 on: November 12, 2013, 09:19:08 pm »
I am not sure whether Southampton can keep their side together though. In fact,  I would not be surprised if Rodgers plans to raid Southampton either in January or in the summer

Why wouldn't they be able to keep their team together? People forget that Southampton are now owned by the Liebherr family, who are insanely loaded. They will not crumble and relent if a bigger club come calling for their players. Their worry would be trying to ensure that Pocchetino doesn't jump ship if a bigger club come in for him.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: November 12, 2013, 09:25:55 pm »
Lure of CL football.

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2013, 09:45:38 pm »
Spain have a winter break though

2 weeks...
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline IndianRed

• Legacy Fan
  • Derp Derp
« Reply #138 on: November 12, 2013, 10:18:05 pm »
Lure of CL football.

Didn't stop us from holding onto Suarez or Newcastle holding onto Cabaye.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: November 13, 2013, 12:31:47 am »
2 weeks...

Which makes a difference. Compared with the Premier League, which intensifies the games per week ratio almost.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #140 on: November 13, 2013, 12:47:03 am »

Is the consensus that they've got the cash to go out and improve the squad again in January?  They've started so well that anything but complete self-destruction has them roughly where they wanted to be or a lot better going into New Year (based on pre-season expectations)...it'll be interesting to see what they do.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: November 13, 2013, 12:49:21 am »
Is the consensus that they've got the cash to go out and improve the squad again in January?  They've started so well that anything but complete self-destruction has them roughly where they wanted to be or a lot better going into New Year (based on pre-season expectations)...it'll be interesting to see what they do.

If they have the cash, they'll have to spend it. They play a very physically demanding game, and without numbers, they might get caught out in terms of exhaustion in the latter stages of the season. If they DO get the players in, though, then what a season they could have!

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: November 14, 2013, 02:11:35 am »
http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/tacticsandanalysis/id/2193?cc=4716

An interesting article. Where do we stand in this?

Do we suffer from not playing the youngsters because we are a big club where instant result matter? and the expectations of winning is a burden on the club?

If they have the cash, they'll have to spend it. They play a very physically demanding game, and without numbers, they might get caught out in terms of exhaustion in the latter stages of the season. If they DO get the players in, though, then what a season they could have!

I voted them to finish top 8 but that's just my pessimistic side. IF they keep their form up then they really have a crack at the CL spots.  And that's a big IF but fantastic achievement if it were to happen.  They look really good at the moment and the main consensus is that they burn out due to their demanding game.  If they were to buy any players, what positions do you think they will strengthen?

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: November 14, 2013, 03:12:58 am »
Teams are scoring goals from shots on target against them at an unsustainably low rate (I'm sorry but Boruc did not go from average to the greatest shot stopper in PL history over the offseason), they've arguably  had the easiest schedule in the PL so far, they play the most physically demanding style in the league, and don't have much depth. Pocchetino has done an amazing job, but he's not a miracle worker. They have zero shot at the CL, and a very small shot at the EL.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: November 14, 2013, 03:54:20 am »
They do look good, but of they do get CL, that means three of Man City, Arsenal, Man Utd, Spurs, Everton, Chelsea and Ourselves will miss out.

"Didn't stop us from holding onto Suarez or Newcastle holding onto Cabaye."

It all depends on the players they may all stay, some might want to leave, for various reasons, but I doubt think clubs in the CL will not be interested.

"Hee I boobooed. that should be 4 of those teams. It will be three if Everton are of little consequence. How embaressing
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 04:47:38 pm by Mr_Shane »

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #145 on: November 14, 2013, 04:02:22 am »
They do look good, but of they do get CL, that means three of Man City, Arsenal, Man Utd, Spurs, Everton, Chelsea and Ourselves will miss out.

"Didn't stop us from holding onto Suarez or Newcastle holding onto Cabaye."

It all depends on the players they may all stay, some might want to leave, for various reasons, but I doubt think clubs in the CL will not be interested.

"Everton"
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #146 on: November 14, 2013, 01:24:44 pm »
Teams are scoring goals from shots on target against them at an unsustainably low rate (I'm sorry but Boruc did not go from average to the greatest shot stopper in PL history over the offseason), they've arguably  had the easiest schedule in the PL so far, they play the most physically demanding style in the league, and don't have much depth. Pocchetino has done an amazing job, but he's not a miracle worker. They have zero shot at the CL, and a very small shot at the EL.
How I feel. They're two injuries away from falling away.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #147 on: November 14, 2013, 04:11:48 pm »
they've arguably  had the easiest schedule in the PL so far

I'd agree with that after looking at their fixtures.

They're next 6 matches are:

Arsenal AWAY, Chelsea AWAY, Villa HOME, City HOME, Newcastle AWAY and then Spuds HOME.

Offline Pinky_Bieber

• shit fan whose IQ is unlikely to be exceeding 59
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: November 14, 2013, 04:17:29 pm »
I'd agree with that after looking at their fixtures.

They're next 6 matches are:

Arsenal AWAY, Chelsea AWAY, Villa HOME, City HOME, Newcastle AWAY and then Spuds HOME.

i hope they draw them all
YNWA

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: November 14, 2013, 04:18:10 pm »
They beat us at Anfield, so talk of how easy their schedule is seems a bit odd.  They are clearly a quality side, and fair play to them.  They are this year's Swansea / Newcastle / etc - every year, someone surprises with a side that just clicks.  Good to see.

Now give us Lallana.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: November 14, 2013, 04:54:36 pm »
I don't know. They have a great manager and some cracking young players and money to spend. A CL challenge is out of reach but they'll be taking points off big teams and if they maintain the start they've had - beating most of the teams they should beat - it's clear they're going to get a decent amount of points.

Offline IndianRed

• Legacy Fan
  • Derp Derp
« Reply #151 on: November 14, 2013, 05:48:09 pm »
They beat us at Anfield, so talk of how easy their schedule is seems a bit odd.  They are clearly a quality side, and fair play to them.  They are this year's Swansea / Newcastle / etc - every year, someone surprises with a side that just clicks.  Good to see.

Now give us Lallana.

Lallana signed a new 5 year contract at the start of this year, so you add the English player premium on top of that and he could easily go for anywhere between 20-25 million in today's market.

Besides, he's a bluenose ;)

Offline andymanlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #152 on: November 14, 2013, 05:50:44 pm »
Top 8 is realistic, like most have voted for. Play decent football and they don't concede many.
"The club was great, the people were great and the people from Liverpool - the text messages, the phone calls, the emails, all the tweets I had on my Twitter account - it's unbelievable how much respect they showed me and it's also a bit emotional" - Dirk Kuyt

Offline Redrik

• Boys Pen
« Reply #153 on: November 14, 2013, 08:59:25 pm »
I was thinking about southamptons good start, and then I remembered something former saints captain Claus Lundekvam said at the start of the season on norwegian television. According to him, if I remember correctly, the southampton players said that they had been doing a lot of running in preseason, and that they've never trained so hard in a pre-season. Lundekvam didn't go into detail about it, so I don't know any of the specifics though.

To me this intensive pre-season training sounds similar to what David Moyes (the manager of manchester united) is getting criticised for by Verheijen and various knowledgeable people on here. If this info from Lundekvam is correct, is Pochettino also a dinosaur with out-dated methods? Or is he still a promising young manager that's bound to end up in one of europes bigger clubs?

Anyway, I find it interesting that some of you are saying that his Espanyol team faded towards the end of the season. This could be taken as an indication that his methods for physical conditioning along with his pressing game, is hard to reproduce throug an extended period. Considering this, I've been thinking like a lot of people on here, that they're going to fade in/after the christmas period.

Offline jamieredders

• Legacy Fan
  • Upper Centenary Boys - We Are Here
    • Live Online Footy at a bargain price
« Reply #154 on: November 14, 2013, 09:29:31 pm »
shite club.

this good manager you lot are talking of has done fook all yet.

the wheels will fall off.  wait and see
Season Ticket Holder in 2011.  A 16 year wait for a top seat in CE6.

Offline Sally

• Desperately searching for a very, very, very, very, very small toaster! "I'm saying this now, if he (Christian Benteke) scores more than 16 goals for us next season i'm eating my cock." (Duly noted!)
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Yellow Submarine
« Reply #155 on: November 14, 2013, 10:06:34 pm »
They'll drop off sooner or later, I just can't see them keeping this form up over a whole season

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #156 on: November 14, 2013, 11:15:24 pm »
shite club.

this good manager you lot are talking of has done fook all yet.

the wheels will fall off.  wait and see

Beating Liverpool at Anfield means so little now?

We've really fallen, haven't we?
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline jamieredders

• Legacy Fan
  • Upper Centenary Boys - We Are Here
    • Live Online Footy at a bargain price
« Reply #157 on: November 15, 2013, 07:49:53 am »
Beating Liverpool at Anfield means so little now?

We've really fallen, haven't we?

We lost to Wimbledon in a FA Cup Final.  Is Bobby Gould a brilliant manager?  Is he fook

;D
Season Ticket Holder in 2011.  A 16 year wait for a top seat in CE6.

Offline Euskadi

• Legacy Fan
  • Main Stander
« Reply #158 on: November 24, 2013, 10:18:52 pm »
is it me or does anyone think that Pochettino is deliberately not speaking to the media in english or even learning the language properly in order to avoid the horrid media in this country? I remember from his time in Spain he proper avoided the media and gave them very little, kept himself to himself .
;D  Mate of mine and me are the same, everyone swears we are brothers when we're out. He calls me slaphead, I call him slaphead, so when I see him I go "slap" and he replies "slap. People be looking and thinking what the f**k are these 2 on  ;D
but he's a blue nose, so he's a c*nt

as per "Slaphead" on the 10th May 2018

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #159 on: November 24, 2013, 10:37:00 pm »
is it me or does anyone think that Pochettino is deliberately not speaking to the media in english or even learning the language properly in order to avoid the horrid media in this country? I remember from his time in Spain he proper avoided the media and gave them very little, kept himself to himself .

He definitely is. There's a video on the internet of him at Southamptions end of the season awards (so about 6 months back) where he's talking with Ed Chamberlain (I think?) in more than passable English. He can definitely get his point across. He just doesn't want to.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society