Author Topic: 2019 in Music  (Read 40950 times)

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 2019 in Music
« Reply #240 on: April 30, 2019, 07:47:50 pm »
If you have to start deleting stuff start with War On Drugs.

:D

Also, saw Julia Jacklin on sunday evening. Great show, amazing voice and has a really good stage presence as well. Tight backing band made it all the better.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #241 on: April 30, 2019, 07:51:20 pm »
Drab Majesty will release a new record his year. VR SEX has already released some material.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: April 30, 2019, 07:54:04 pm »
I use reddit, which I find to be fantastic. Check out r/indieheads.

Thanks!
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #243 on: May 1, 2019, 10:09:41 am »
Still trying to come to terms with the new Sunn O))) record. Never really 'got' them until our very own Chip Evans gave me a gentle nudge. I listened to 'Alice' and the rest is kind of history.

Anyway, Life Metal. Fuck me...

The varying textures in tone and frequency make this listening experience between sound system and headphones almost polar opposite. It's hard to explain...

Turning this up loud in the comfort of your own home is like a meditative experience - the ambience through flickering feedback and loud/quiet torrents of drone are cathartic. That's the Steve Albini fairy dust, folks. It's probably the best recording performance he's given us for a while.

Listening to this through headphones is a contrasting experience. It almost equates to being hauled up to the gates of hells. It's physically and emotionally exhausting. The maelstroms of drone storms pulverise your inner senses, making you shudder to the core. The eye watering tones make you realise that, well, this is actually fucking living!

Still trying to put my finger on it, but I'm struggling to come across an album that has such a contrasting listening effect through the preferred medium chosen. Yes, it's good. Very fucking good.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #244 on: May 1, 2019, 12:51:54 pm »
Still trying to come to terms with the new Sunn O))) record. Never really 'got' them until our very own Chip Evans gave me a gentle nudge. I listened to 'Alice' and the rest is kind of history.

The varying textures in tone and frequency make this listening experience between sound system and headphones almost polar opposite. It's hard to explain...

Turning this up loud in the comfort of your own home is like a meditative experience - the ambience through flickering feedback and loud/quiet torrents of drone are cathartic. That's the Steve Albini fairy dust, folks. It's probably the best recording performance he's given us for a while.

Listening to this through headphones is a contrasting experience. It almost equates to being hauled up to the gates of hells. It's physically and emotionally exhausting. The maelstroms of drone storms pulverise your inner senses, making you shudder to the core. The eye watering tones make you realise that, well, this is actually fucking living!

Still trying to put my finger on it, but I'm struggling to come across an album that has such a contrasting listening effect through the preferred medium chosen. Yes, it's good. Very fucking good.

Nailed it. Total Immersion!

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #245 on: May 1, 2019, 12:54:57 pm »
You boys and your ( loud) guitars!

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #246 on: May 1, 2019, 01:31:12 pm »
My beloved Bruce has a long awaited new studio album entitled 'Western Stars' out soon.

The early issue single from the album is 'Hello Sunshine' .

:)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/icJjlg5e6l8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/icJjlg5e6l8</a>

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: May 1, 2019, 01:47:27 pm »

Further to this I urge everyone to just listen to the opening 30 seconds as loud as they can.  Not sure any opening to a record has ever made me so happy.  That first note when it comes.... pure silliness and joy 

The Chris Forsyth album is great too btw.  Big massive psych guitar wankery fest.
« Last Edit: May 1, 2019, 03:56:26 pm by Chip Evans »

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #248 on: May 1, 2019, 04:35:29 pm »
Further to this I urge everyone to just listen to the opening 30 seconds as loud as they can.  Not sure any opening to a record has ever made me so happy.  That first note when it comes.... pure silliness and joy 

The Chris Forsyth album is great too btw.  Big massive psych guitar wankery fest.

Bottle it up!

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Last Edit: May 2, 2019, 06:27:59 pm by SamAteTheRedAcid »
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #250 on: May 3, 2019, 10:07:53 am »
New Vampire Weekend and Big Thief just out.  :wave
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #251 on: May 3, 2019, 02:43:08 pm »
https://www.stereogum.com/2042154/bill-callahan-new-album-shepherd-in-a-sheepskin-vest/news/

20 TRACKS!

Oh Bill, you've made my day!

Interview here:
https://pitchfork.com/features/profile/bill-callahan-shepherd-in-a-sheepskin-vest-interview/

Just catching up on this. Lovely stuff.

Where our beloved coffeehouse strummers are concerned, the Cass McCombs album just gets better. The man is THE ultimate hippified cosmic drifter. Lyrics are so gloriously absurd - the man should be a national treasure. 

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: May 3, 2019, 03:49:45 pm »
Just catching up on this. Lovely stuff.

Where our beloved coffeehouse strummers are concerned, the Cass McCombs album just gets better. The man is THE ultimate hippified cosmic drifter. Lyrics are so gloriously absurd - the man should be a national treasure. 

Had Cass on the way to and from work yesterday. Not sick of it yet despite heavy overplaying. Really love the positioning of Great Pixley Train Robbery - second spot on the album, a hard to decipher rocker about a train robbery...cosmic echoes of David Crosby's 'Cowboy Movie' from 'If Only I Could Remember My Name', also about a metaphorical train robbery...I can now tell how quick I'm riding to work when certain tracks begin. Record is getting there just as 'Estrella' begins...worst run is at the end of 'Real Life'...

It'll be an interesting battle between him and Bill for the top spot in my 10 this year anyway...yes I am that predictable. Well so much of life is uncertain, its nice to have these constants to ground me ;D
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: May 3, 2019, 06:51:23 pm »
The new Vampire Weekend album is very good on first listen. Don't think it'll match Modern Vampires Of The City, that one is a masterpiece in my opinion, but will gladly listen to it over and over again. Love that they were working with Danielle Haim and the collaborations are great.

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: May 4, 2019, 02:37:20 am »
Looking forward to listening to the new Vampire Weekend. For me, nothing beats their first album but will listen nonetheless.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: May 4, 2019, 05:08:04 am »
The new Vampire Weekend album is very good on first listen. Don't think it'll match Modern Vampires Of The City, that one is a masterpiece in my opinion, but will gladly listen to it over and over again. Love that they were working with Danielle Haim and the collaborations are great.

Love it. It does sag a bit in the middle but I can live with it. It's sunny and full of life akin to the first album though more mature and less like Modern Vampires, which I agree is a masterpiece but also quite a dark album.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: May 4, 2019, 05:24:54 pm »
What you guys need right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PszK_2NF0zg

Online wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #257 on: May 4, 2019, 06:01:26 pm »
The HVOB - Rocco album is class! [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: May 5, 2019, 04:38:08 am »
Love it. It does sag a bit in the middle but I can live with it. It's sunny and full of life akin to the first album though more mature and less like Modern Vampires, which I agree is a masterpiece but also quite a dark album.

It is very sunny indeed, great description. Had it on repeat tonight. I agree and think it's very different from Modern Vampires, it sounds almost like another band. However I don't really see it being very similar to the first one or Contra. Those first two were unified in sound, Modern was a huge leap forward and very epic in composition (Step is aesthetic perfection - especially with the video), and the new one is just much more mature and relaxed.

What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: May 5, 2019, 11:01:26 am »
It is very sunny indeed, great description. Had it on repeat tonight. I agree and think it's very different from Modern Vampires, it sounds almost like another band. However I don't really see it being very similar to the first one or Contra. Those first two were unified in sound, Modern was a huge leap forward and very epic in composition (Step is aesthetic perfection - especially with the video), and the new one is just much more mature and relaxed.

I think the similarity is more in the vibe of it rather than the sound. To me, those albums reflect who they were at the time those albums were released which is to say they were young college graduates in their first post-college jobs making money for the first time in their lives and enjoying all the freedoms that come with that. The new album reflects the people the band members are now i.e. older and more mature with life experiences that include heartbreak and moving away from the places they knew. The sound, the production values and aesthetics are not quite the same but they have a very similar vibe.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #260 on: May 5, 2019, 08:10:49 pm »
Absolutely obsessed with the Kevin Morby record.

It's almost perfect. Beautiful vocals, female backing singers, incredible lyrics, sax, piano and so many stories that kind of interlink.

No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #261 on: May 6, 2019, 11:19:49 am »

It's almost perfect. Beautiful vocals, female backing singers, incredible lyrics, sax, piano and so many stories that kind of interlink.

I agree. It's sparse and it works. Not that it sounds like it at all, but you could imagine Springsteen some of these songs.

Speaking of the Boss, how about the new Craig Finn record? I adored his last one and this one seems to be taking a bit more time to sink in. Playing Liverpool in October.

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: May 6, 2019, 07:23:45 pm »
I`m surprised how little recognition Drab Majesty gets. Personally I think it`s the most interesting band in the world right now.

Online wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #263 on: May 6, 2019, 07:28:06 pm »
I`m surprised how little recognition Drab Majesty gets. Personally I think it`s the most interesting band in the world right now.
Their latest tune, Ellipsis, is a good track. But surely it was released in 1985, not 2019.[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: May 7, 2019, 12:21:54 am »
New Vampire Weekend and Big Thief just out.  :wave
This one's definitely got something.

Offline telekon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: May 7, 2019, 11:42:39 am »
I think the similarity is more in the vibe of it rather than the sound. To me, those albums reflect who they were at the time those albums were released which is to say they were young college graduates in their first post-college jobs making money for the first time in their lives and enjoying all the freedoms that come with that. The new album reflects the people the band members are now i.e. older and more mature with life experiences that include heartbreak and moving away from the places they knew. The sound, the production values and aesthetics are not quite the same but they have a very similar vibe.

Bambina is a tune and a half!

It's a fine album overall but too long in my view. Not even Vampire Weekend can release 18 songs and make it interesting throughout.

This one's definitely got something.

This one got a raving review at Pitchfork. While I think it's it's fine I'm not really feeling it as with the previous two albums. Their standards are almost unreasonably high I suppose. It's also a bit too folksy for me. It's when Meek's bizarre electric guitar stuff blends with Lenker's fragility they're at their best. With acoustic guitar you don't really get that dynamism.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: May 7, 2019, 06:07:26 pm »

This one got a raving review at Pitchfork. While I think it's it's fine I'm not really feeling it as with the previous two albums. Their standards are almost unreasonably high I suppose. It's also a bit too folksy for me. It's when Meek's bizarre electric guitar stuff blends with Lenker's fragility they're at their best. With acoustic guitar you don't really get that dynamism.
Think I like the folkiness myself, makes it appeal in a way that the first two only sort of did to me. Need to listen to it more, but so far I like it a lot. Maybe I'm starting to see eye to eye with Pitchfork a bit more in my dotage.

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #267 on: May 8, 2019, 03:54:56 pm »
Drahla's debut album, Useless Coordinates is very interesting. For all you post-punk heads out there, get on it.

Seeing them tonight in Liverpool.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #268 on: May 8, 2019, 05:00:06 pm »
Drahla's debut album, Useless Coordinates is very interesting. For all you post-punk heads out there, get on it.

Seeing them tonight in Liverpool.

Listened to this earlier - really good.

Playing Brighton next week.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #269 on: May 8, 2019, 09:05:09 pm »
This Big Thief album is majestic.

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #270 on: May 10, 2019, 10:50:10 am »
Listened to this earlier - really good.

Playing Brighton next week.

They were brilliant. So different to than on record. More avant garde but it worked.

New Clinic sounds brilliant on first listen.

Also, a big welcome back to A.A. Bondy. Enderless - his first album in over 7 years.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: May 10, 2019, 11:05:01 am »
The Leafcutter John album reviewed on the Quietus this morning is beautiful. Out on James Holden's label - lovely synthy washes, field recordings and the drummer from Sons of Kemet. It's genuinely hypnotic, with nice understated swells.

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #272 on: May 11, 2019, 05:02:54 pm »
The Leafcutter John album reviewed on the Quietus this morning is beautiful. Out on James Holden's label - lovely synthy washes, field recordings and the drummer from Sons of Kemet. It's genuinely hypnotic, with nice understated swells.

Ooo, sounds interesting this.

This Big Thief album is majestic.

This is such a grower. Love the ambience throughout.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #273 on: May 11, 2019, 06:19:07 pm »
AA Bondy is back - make your life better by getting on this.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: May 11, 2019, 08:59:23 pm »

This is such a grower. Love the ambience throughout.
Aye, it's all dreamy, floaty, ghostly and stuff. Lovely.

I couldn't really get into Goths, but the Mountain Goats' newest is pretty damn cool on first listen. The music's probably their most expansive yet, and Darnielle will always be Darnielle, even if he seems to sing a bit more than he used to. Godlike lyricist.

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: May 12, 2019, 04:31:08 am »

Have to agree with this. This is turning out to be my favourite record of his. Hail Mary is spectacular. Very enjoyable album.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #276 on: May 12, 2019, 10:35:23 am »
Aye, it's all dreamy, floaty, ghostly and stuff. Lovely.

I couldn't really get into Goths, but the Mountain Goats' newest is pretty damn cool on first listen. The music's probably their most expansive yet, and Darnielle will always be Darnielle, even if he seems to sing a bit more than he used to. Godlike lyricist.

Have to agree on the new Mountain Goats. Something definitely here.

Speaking of Godlike lyricists, have you listened to the new Craig Finn album?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #277 on: May 12, 2019, 10:39:39 am »
We need some proper bands back like the Wurzels, Chas n' Dave or the Goodies.

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: May 12, 2019, 11:29:30 am »
Have to agree on the new Mountain Goats. Something definitely here.

Speaking of Godlike lyricists, have you listened to the new Craig Finn album?
Na, is it good? I have to confess that I haven't paid much attention to his solo stuff which is odd, as I was really into the Hold Steady for a good while. A mate played his last one (or may have been the one before, not quite sure) to me at his place when we were smashed and I vaguely remember it sounding pretty good, but I promptly forgot to get it after. Think I'd been a bit saddened that the Hold Steady's recent stuff wasn't as good as their early stuff too which may have put me off, not really sure.

Great shout on his godlike status too, man, the guy's got a great way with words and a story. Love to have a drink with him. If I were doing a list of my personal favourite lyricists, he'd be right up there with Darnielle and MF DOOM in my list of contemporary greats, and probably knocking on the door of alltimers like Dylan, Cohen and and Waits.

Who're everyone's favourite lyricists, or have we done that one recently?

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #279 on: May 13, 2019, 09:09:13 am »
Na, is it good? I have to confess that I haven't paid much attention to his solo stuff which is odd, as I was really into the Hold Steady for a good while. A mate played his last one (or may have been the one before, not quite sure) to me at his place when we were smashed and I vaguely remember it sounding pretty good, but I promptly forgot to get it after. Think I'd been a bit saddened that the Hold Steady's recent stuff wasn't as good as their early stuff too which may have put me off, not really sure.

Great shout on his godlike status too, man, the guy's got a great way with words and a story. Love to have a drink with him. If I were doing a list of my personal favourite lyricists, he'd be right up there with Darnielle and MF DOOM in my list of contemporary greats, and probably knocking on the door of alltimers like Dylan, Cohen and and Waits.

Who're everyone's favourite lyricists, or have we done that one recently?

Think you need to reacquaint yourself with his solo stuff. His last three have been a trilogy - the second, 'We All Want The Same Things', is absolutely vital and I honestly think it's up there with the best thing he's ever done. Definitely check it out.

The new one is a bit of a slow burn but I suspect it will come good eventually.

The Hold Steady is a funny one, because while they were fantastic, I think the subjects and stories that influenced Finn's songwriting were a bit, errm... how shall I say this? 'Teenager'? Would seem odd writing about those things now (he's 47) so with that, I always found The Hold Steady to be a band with a used-by date. Nothing wrong with that, mind.

He's playing 'Phase One in Liverpool in October. Never seen him live in a solo capacity - can't wait!