Author Topic: Lawrenson: Empty seats prove Roy Hodgson and Liverpool FC relationship doomed  (Read 13264 times)

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Moaning bed wetter, cry wanks for Torres
  • Legacy Fan
THE biggest problem for Roy Hodgson was, for once, not what was happening on the pitch at Anfield on Saturday.

It was what was surrounding him in the stands – or rather what wasn’t surrounding him – that should have been the biggest concern.

Being 10,000 down on capacity for a home league game at Anfield is unacceptable.

And a statistic like that won’t escape the owners’ notice.

They will be wondering about how much revenue that could potentially cost them. If season ticket holders are boycotting games as early as January that gives some indicator as to how many will renew if the current playing regime isn’t shaken up.

When you buy Liverpool the one thing you think you are guaranteed is a boisterous home support.

But it’s clear from the weekend that it is dwindling away.

Even when fans were disillusioned with the Hicks and Gillett regime they still turned up to vent their anger, knowing that the support of the team couldn’t waver.

It seems the abject defeat to Wolves – on top of all the other mediocrity they have had to put up with this season – has finally tipped some over the edge.

And I don’t think the win over Bolton will change any of that.

Don’t get me wrong, I think it was a good victory because after the rock bottom low of losing to Wolves, bouncing back with three points was vital.

There was a lot of pressure riding on the game and to secure the win is all that matters.

But Liverpool were still pretty average in the first half.

And as for the game changing direction, it was more due to the influence of Steven Gerrard than anything the manager said at half-time.

The lack of ideas Liverpool emerged with for the second half with in the Wolves game exposed some of Hodgson’s limitations, both in changing personnel, tactics and attitude of players.

One thing Liverpool have always done in front of their own fans down the years is press the opposition and look like a team fighting for their lives to try and win.

Hodgson doesn’t seem to have bought into that and it seems the stay-away supporters don’t have much confidence in him being able to turn it round.

All in all, the appointment just hasn’t worked.

What happens next is for the owners to decide but I will be amazed if there’s no action at some point.

One of the biggest things that counted against Hicks and Gillett was that they didn’t get on the same wavelength as the fans.

Unfortunately for Hodgson, I can’t see John W Henry making the same mistake.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/sport/columnists/columns/2011/01/04/mark-lawrenson-empty-seats-prove-roy-hodgson-and-liverpool-fc-relationship-doomed-92534-27927440/2/#ixzz1A3t2lLH9
"I was pleased also with Peter Crouch. We have been talking to him, before and after his nose operation, to show more confidence with his heading.

"Now it seems to have worked. Lets say that if he has a few games without scoring again, maybe we should arrange to break his nose again."

Rafa.

Offline cox3100

• Would love to congratulate Siralex.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • justice for the 96
lawrenson talks sense shocker

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
fair enough wite up, but hes still a cock
JFT 96

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
I'm living in hope that he'll be gone by the derby.
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
fair enough wite up, but hes still a cock

Offline ScouseinDK

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Lawrencen NOT talking bollocks. Whats going on in the world. Now I´m really confused, aparently you cant rely on anything these days ::)

Offline Greg

• RAWK Statto
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.twitter.com/@paintbox_
I certainly won't be trying to buy tickets until Hodgson has gone.

It's painful enough watching them all on the telly, but at least I can just turn off at the end and try and think of something else. Would hate to have to pay for that experience, plus petrol, plus beer money, not to mention the time invested in it.

Can't believe he's still here.

Offline Miracle@Istanbul

• Anny Roader
Is Lawro's usual ghost writer on holiday this week ?

Offline main-stand-molby

• Kopite
the tide of opinion is going against Roy so Lawrenson is on it, thats all it is.  Whichever way the popular opinion appears to be, he'll be floating easily with it.  The fact he's right this time is coincidental.

Offline finchy1972

• Legacy Fan
  • Here's a story of a poor boy
Oh my god i find myself agreeing with lawro , i feel ill.
Whatever we are , we are , whatever we will be is yet to be written .

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Proof positive the world has spun of its axis.

Lawro talking sense.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
I'm sad that FSG have delayed the sacking of the rubber plant to the point where even Mark Lawrenson has turned on him. 'Rock bottom' comes to mind.
« Last Edit: January 4, 2011, 11:02:20 am by Finn Solomon »
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Miracle@Istanbul

• Anny Roader
the tide of opinion is going against Roy so Lawrenson is on it, thats all it is.  Whichever way the popular opinion appears to be, he'll be floating easily with it.  The fact he's right this time is coincidental.

The majority were not as anti Rafa as Lawro last season.

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
He usually spouts quite a lot of shit, but he is spot on with this
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline main-stand-molby

• Kopite

The majority were not as anti Rafa as Lawro last season.

Outside of our support and in the media it seemed they were... which is where he generally gets his opinions from it seems.

Offline Miracle@Istanbul

• Anny Roader

Outside of our support and in the media it seemed they were... which is where he generally gets his opinions from it seems.

Yeah, agreed

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Lawro stating the obvious. Even this prick couldnt of git it wrong this time.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
Remember the days when hurricanes and spitfires ruled the skies?
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline No Way José

• Kopite
  • Hard as fuck - Not me, Wiggo
As they say, even a broken clock is right twice a day
What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger. Except Polio

Offline mike777

• Anny Roader
Statement of the obvious innit.

The way things stand at the moment the Derby is going to be the only sell-out at Anfield for the rest of the season (unless I suppose by some miracle we get a draw against the vermin on Sunday), indeed the way things are right now I'd say it's more likely the Derby won't sell out than we will sell out any other league game, which says it all.

Offline generic_name

• Kopite
Lawro out.................................., no, wait a minute.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Apparantly the Derby still hasn't sold out. Can't remember when that's ever happened in my lifetime.

Can't blame people though.

Yep. Still on sale.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/tickets/latest-ticket-news/liverpool-v-everton-2010-8-30-15-00-00/info
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline TrueNorthRED

• Kopite
As they say, even a broken clock is right twice a day

I believe the quote is "even a stopped clock gets the right time twice a day". (Withnail & I)
"He plays as any supporter would if they were born with such demonic talent."

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
is this a double bluff?

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
Was talking about this the other day and whilst the Wolves game was the final nail in the coffin, this would have been the final nail in the coffin for the board, particularly someone like Ian Ayre. It's not only the ticket sales but the club shop sales, programmes, pie and pints etc etc. Not to mention how much it'll be pissing our Commerical Partners off

He is a goner

Offline MassDriver

• Custom Tit... Shithouse lover... Politically correct and metrosexual cave dweller.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta la victoria siempre
Roughly what percentage of the gross income generated by the club comes from match ticket sales?
You will never walk alone , Shanklyboy. RIP.

I am the Eye in the Sky, looking at you, I can read your mind. I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools, I can cheat you blind. Looking at you, I can read your mind

Offline Higgins79

• Legacy Fan
  • return of the king
i made the mistake of making the 200 mile round trip to anfield for the napoli game. wont be making that mistake again until hodgsons gone.

i usually get to at least 10-12 home games a season but i've not bothered this year, largely due to the yanks through the first few months of the season but by the time they'd gone roy had upset me so much with his shite football and ridiculous comments in the media that i extended the self imposed boycott. not bought the shirt yet either.

roy out.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Surprised that has come from Lawrenson to be honest. He is right though, and more articles like this in the media will lead to Hodgson going. Thats the way he got the job anyway.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline TrueNorthRED

• Kopite
Was talking about this the other day and whilst the Wolves game was the final nail in the coffin, this would have been the final nail in the coffin for the board, particularly someone like Ian Ayre. It's not only the ticket sales but the club shop sales, programmes, pie and pints etc etc. Not to mention how much it'll be pissing our Commerical Partners off

He is a goner

Question is: goner in the sense of "next week goner" or "summer break goner"? I know which one I'd prefer.

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
Lawrencen NOT talking bollocks. Whats going on in the world. Now I´m really confused, aparently you cant rely on anything these days ::)

One of the first signs of the apocalypse I've heard!

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Question is: goner in the sense of "next week goner" or "summer break goner"? I know which one I'd prefer.

A defeat at Blackburn could seal it but they need someone to step in and we don't know the full picture. Kenny may have been approached and stated he wants it full time or not at all, conjecture, but nobody knows.

Regardless, I think they will wait until the FA Cup game is out of the way at minimum

Offline kneeys

• We know the TRUTH,now give them JUSTICE.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Around long enough to know better...
Methinks Lawro is now raiding RAWK for his veiwpoint and stories!!   
The s*n so full of shit you could not even use it to wipe your arse

Offline dewisaint

• Anny Roader

He is a goner

10000 down, what sort of loss is that to the club money wise ?
« Last Edit: January 4, 2011, 12:29:38 pm by dewisaint »
sos member 7127       http://www.spiritofshankly.com/join.htm

Offline mike777

• Anny Roader
That's how I see it probably ending as well 7777, an embarrasing defeat on Sunday and Hodgson leaving very soon after that.

With the empty seats it's not just the lost revenue, but how bad it looks to our commercial partners/sponsors etc. (yes I know all that's bllcks but that's how the modern game is now) when you have gaps like you had last Saturday.  Gives off a very bad image.

Offline TrueNorthRED

• Kopite
A defeat at Blackburn could seal it but they need someone to step in and we don't know the full picture. Kenny may have been approached and stated he wants it full time or not at all, conjecture, but nobody knows.

Regardless, I think they will wait until the FA Cup game is out of the way at minimum

A win against the Mancs and a goodbye press conference. That'll do me just fine.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
10000 down, what sort of loss is that to the club ?

Can't say but if I had to put a figure with ticket sales, mechandise, food & Drink etc, I'd say £500k there or thereabouts

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
10000 down, what sort of loss is that to the club ?

About £400,000
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline red_til_i_die

• Legacy Fan
  • Pepe Reina walks on water
One of the first signs of the apocalypse I've heard!

Were doomed i tells ya, DOOMED!!!
Slappa da Bass mon! Slappa deee Bassssss!!!!!
Love you Bro-Montana

Offline sidneyroughdiamond

• Legacy Fan
  • There is a light that never goes out
Lawrenson taking his usual seat on the bandwagon once the numbers on it are significant enough.
Well, this piece is called "Lick My Love Pump".

Offline Em5y

• Legacy Fan
A win against the Mancs and a goodbye press conference. That'll do me just fine.

If I was Dalglish I'd say get Blackpool away out of the way first - and get him in just in time for the Derby at Anfield.