Author Topic: Injury news only thread. *  (Read 1923775 times)

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
Re: Current injury updates? not a transfer speculation thread
« Reply #360 on: December 30, 2013, 04:35:40 pm »
Hoping for mid January rather than end of January. Even late sub appearances from Daniel will be beneficial for us

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #361 on: December 30, 2013, 05:09:54 pm »
weird logic, we are not City!

as for the injury problems this happens, but if you compare it to the Souness era we are not doing that bad injury wise.
You are having to go back 20 years to remember a time that wasn't as bad as this...

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #362 on: December 30, 2013, 05:18:17 pm »
You are having to go back 20 years to remember a time that wasn't as bad as this...

no i think Rafa had some worse problems as well, Souness was an obvious problem which became almost legendary!

but lets look at this in context I would pick Sakho every time but if he isn't available we have Agger Skrtel, Toure for starters, I rate Allen but we have cover for CM as well, all we need is for the replacements to step up and take their chances, how far away is Gerrard from being at least on the bench, i rate Sturridge highly but have we missed him that much lately.

We also have a few very winnable games coming up! I simply don't subscribe to the 'woe is me' view,  injuries and coping with them are part and parcel of the game.

If you want to add Enrique well Cissokho, Flanagan if fit, Ryan, Kelly if fit, Covers it
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #363 on: December 30, 2013, 05:40:05 pm »

...  i rate Sturridge highly but have we missed him that much lately ...

We haven't missed him against the Cardiffs and Fulhams of this world, but we definitely missed a world-class Striker against Chelsea and City. They can't just kick, sorry, mark Suarez out of the game when he's on the pitch too.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: December 30, 2013, 05:46:17 pm »
no i think Rafa had some worse problems as well, Souness was an obvious problem which became almost legendary!

but lets look at this in context I would pick Sakho every time but if he isn't available we have Agger Skrtel, Toure for starters, I rate Allen but we have cover for CM as well, all we need is for the replacements to step up and take their chances, how far away is Gerrard from being at least on the bench, i rate Sturridge highly but have we missed him that much lately.

We also have a few very winnable games coming up! I simply don't subscribe to the 'woe is me' view,  injuries and coping with them are part and parcel of the game.

If you want to add Enrique well Cissokho, Flanagan if fit, Ryan, Kelly if fit, Covers it
I don't either, and I still think we're going to get more points in the 2nd half than in the first - and probably finish top 4 - but I just thought your appeal to the Souness era was a little strange!

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #365 on: December 30, 2013, 05:57:59 pm »
Fatigue really shoudnt play a part surely? Yes we have had a busy 10 days or so, but lets not forget we have been playing a game a week for most of the season so I cant see fatigue as an issue. Also, lets not forget that Allen has only played a few games the whole season since Gerrard has been out, and neither Sakho or Hando have played every game, all have missed/been rotated every once in a while especially earlier in the season.

Sometime you are just unluky.

Of the earlier injuries, no injury is a surprise at Gerrards age. The one that was preventable in my very amature opinion I should add I would say was Sturridges as he'd been suffering with it for a while and instead of resting it seemed determined to want to play for England (who seemed determined to want to pick him)

PS thin squad is definitly an issue, are still a lot of gaps in the squad including even positions like the midfield where we were quite well stocked at the begining on the season.

When we get a run of games in quick succession we aren't used to it and that can lead to injuries. Gerrard got injured after playing his third full game in 6 days which was ridiculous. Allen and Henderson played their 4th high intensity game within a couple of weeks and it was one too many after the ground they covered on Thursday night.

When we have played  one game a week we haven't had many injuries.  The lack of rotation/squad depth makes injuries inevitable when we do play a number of games in a short space.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #366 on: December 30, 2013, 06:35:09 pm »
another thing I would like Brendan to start doing is using all 3 subs in games

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: December 30, 2013, 07:08:55 pm »
I thought our pre-season had be designed to have us hitting peak fitness at this point in the campaign? Instead we seem to be getting more and more injuries instead.

Gutted for Allen if he's out again.

Offline ANFIELDGATES

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #368 on: December 30, 2013, 07:13:43 pm »
another thing I would like Brendan to start doing is using all 3 subs in games
???use all 3?all the time??have you ever managed a team ,even a schoolboys team?you dont just make 3 subs for the sake of keeping players fresh,yeah when your 3/4 up you could make changes with the points in the bag but not when the game is tight...remember rafa!!!he made the most ridiculous subs in the 08/09 season that arguably cost us the league.

Offline FernandoTourettes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: December 30, 2013, 07:26:31 pm »
???use all 3?all the time??have you ever managed a team ,even a schoolboys team?you dont just make 3 subs for the sake of keeping players fresh,yeah when your 3/4 up you could make changes with the points in the bag but not when the game is tight...remember rafa!!!he made the most ridiculous subs in the 08/09 season that arguably cost us the league.
I see the point you are trying to make, but that last sentence is a strange way of going about it.

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: December 30, 2013, 07:35:57 pm »
According to BR's press conference today

Steven has joined back in training, so we'll see how he is for Hull, and I would think that probably by the Stoke game [January 12] we'll have a number of the others who'll not be too far away.

"But certainly for the Hull game we'll have to rely on more or less what we had.

Presumably by others he means Enrique and Sturridge ?

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: December 30, 2013, 07:38:02 pm »
According to BR's press conference today

Presumably by others he means Enrique and Sturridge ?

Enrique probably. Sturridge still about a month away I imagine.

Offline ANFIELDGATES

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
Re: Current injury updates?
« Reply #372 on: December 30, 2013, 07:51:11 pm »
I see the point you are trying to make, but that last sentence is a strange way of going about it.
ok,to clarify,to me rafa made some very strange subs during that season when we were leading games 1-0 or drawing 0-0/1-1.it seemed to me that he wasnt keen on going for it as opposed to "lets not lose this",in an opposite way fergie used to gamble on the second/third goal when leading 1-0 to wrap up the points,rafas cautiousness when leading sometimes led to us drawing games.

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #373 on: December 30, 2013, 07:56:37 pm »
ok,to clarify,to me rafa made some very strange subs during that season when we were leading games 1-0 or drawing 0-0/1-1.it seemed to me that he wasnt keen on going for it as opposed to "lets not lose this",in an opposite way fergie used to gamble on the second/third goal when leading 1-0 to wrap up the points,rafas cautiousness when leading sometimes led to us drawing games.
Fucking hell.
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline ANFIELDGATES

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #374 on: December 30, 2013, 08:00:25 pm »
Fucking hell.
that it...care to expand on that or are u shocked that ive an opinion that doesnt tally with yours?tell ya what,i will pm u every time i post and u can go over it and let me know what to edit,ok?

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #375 on: December 30, 2013, 08:03:35 pm »
that it...care to expand on that or are u shocked that ive an opinion that doesnt tally with yours?tell ya what,i will pm u every time i post and u can go over it and let me know what to edit,ok?
No need. Just dont refer to that purple nosed c*nt how you did. Bacon Face or Tramp will suffice.
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Online TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #376 on: December 30, 2013, 08:08:08 pm »
c*nt works too.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #377 on: December 30, 2013, 08:08:49 pm »
I always like slurgie.

Offline ANFIELDGATES

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #378 on: December 30, 2013, 08:13:47 pm »
No need. Just dont refer to that purple nosed c*nt how you did. Bacon Face or Tramp will suffice.
fuck me,is that how it is here???my,my we"re a sensitive bunch arent we.who gives a toss what hes called ffs,jeez!!

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #379 on: December 30, 2013, 08:17:03 pm »
fuck me,is that how it is here???my,my we"re a sensitive bunch arent we.who gives a toss what hes called ffs,jeez!!
And use capital letters too where appropriate, young man. :missus
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 08:19:36 pm by Lenin. »

Offline ANFIELDGATES

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #380 on: December 30, 2013, 08:27:00 pm »
And use capital letters too where appropriate, young man. :missus
;D...lol...very funny indeed!!!

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #381 on: December 30, 2013, 10:23:43 pm »

when we are winning games easily at anfield br has not used all 3 subs

Offline Macedonian Red Reborn

• Self-professed wool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: December 30, 2013, 11:47:58 pm »
Brendan Rodgers has revealed Daniel Sturridge is well ahead of schedule on his return from the ankle injury that has kept him out of action for Liverpool since the end of November.

The England international has not featured for Liverpool since coming on as a substitute and scoring the equaliser in the Merseyside derby on 23 November as he picked up his current problem in training six days after the 3-3 draw with Everton.

The initial prognosis was that Sturridge, who has scored 11 goals this season for Liverpool, could be out for between eight and 12 weeks but, as injury problems mount in other areas, Rodgers has been given a timely boost because Sturridge could return to face Stoke on 12 January.

The Liverpool manager, who also launched a defence of Luis Suárez in relation to José Mourinho's accusations of diving, also hinted that the captain, Steven Gerrard, could return against Hull City on Wednesday.

Gerrard has not featured since early December, when he pulled up with a hamstring problem in the win over West Ham at Anfield. He was expected to be out for up to six weeks but Rodgers said on Monday: "Steven has rejoined training, so we'll see how he is for Hull."

"We will assess that in the next 24 hours. By the Stoke game we'll have a number of the others who will not be too far away.

"Daniel is ahead of schedule. He might not be too far over the next few weeks. He was out running the other day doing straight-line running and he is now doing more multi-directional running and then training next week and he will have a good week of training.

"Over the next couple of weeks we will get those players back and it will look a lot brighter for us."

Joe Allen is set to miss the visit of Hull because of a groin strain, so Gerrard's possible return would be timely, while Liverpool are awaiting news on the defender Mamadou Sakho, who has a hamstring problem. Jordan Henderson picked up a knock against Chelsea but is expected to be fine to start on Wednesday at Anfield.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/30/liverpool-daniel-sturridge-steven-gerrard-early-injury-return
"If I wanted you to understand, I'd have explained it better" Johan Cruyff

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #383 on: December 31, 2013, 11:53:44 am »
Sturridge still about a month away I imagine.
Sturridge will be back in the next two weeks. He is already running and turning.
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: December 31, 2013, 12:03:09 pm »
Enrique probably. Sturridge still about a month away I imagine.

Sturridge is ahead of Enrique. Has returned to training as well apparently.

We have Hull tomorrow and then Oldham in the cup if we feel the need to rotate and rest. By January the 12th when we face Stoke the injury picture and squad could look much healthier (fingers crossed). Could have new signings as well.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: December 31, 2013, 02:17:25 pm »
Could have new signings as well.

That would be aweseome, just at the right time.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: December 31, 2013, 05:48:40 pm »
The 'man up' philosophy, coupled with the complete lack of rotation/squad management, is killing us with injuries now the games have been coming thick and fast.

Allen was patently injured even before the game but was forced to play. Now we're without him for a few weeks because Rodgers preferred to take a risk with a 50% fit Allen over Alberto. Henderson had an injury going into the game, and was clearly injured throughout the first half but we had to just carry on effectively a man light and he stayed on for the 90.

Gerrard got injured after the nonsense of keeping him on the pitch for 90 minutes on a Wednesday night against Norwich (a game won well before half time) l prior to a game on Saturday (he'd also played 90 minutes on the Sunday prior). Manage the squad better and you can reduce injuries and the fatigue that causes injury. But we only seem to ever trust the 11 players that have the shirt at any moment.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #387 on: December 31, 2013, 05:57:01 pm »
How was Allen 'forced to play'?
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #388 on: December 31, 2013, 05:57:45 pm »
I note the complete absence of PoP from the boards in the last few days.

I feel 'bad' reading, and agreeing with, various posts bemoaning the lack of rotation etc in the absence of his well-timed and informed rejoinders.
Ludi Circenses!

Online Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: December 31, 2013, 06:13:05 pm »
How was Allen 'forced to play'?
The question ought to be why?

Offline TheGOAT

• Gruff handbagger
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: December 31, 2013, 06:14:50 pm »

Allen was patently injured even before the game but was forced to play.

Christ, the amount of shit you write is astonishing. And lets not forget you only know about Allen's injection because Rodgers said so. Players will play with knocks and injections all the time, get over it.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #391 on: December 31, 2013, 06:16:28 pm »
The question ought to be why?
Not really. Where is the evidence he was forced?
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Online Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #392 on: December 31, 2013, 07:52:57 pm »
Not really. Where is the evidence he was forced?
Presumably the pain-killing injection he was given?

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #393 on: December 31, 2013, 07:55:24 pm »
So they gave him an injection against his will and forced him to play?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #394 on: December 31, 2013, 07:57:14 pm »

They strapped him down , took pictures with the Doc and then jabbed him! We are evil.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #395 on: December 31, 2013, 07:58:34 pm »

I don't think that's what was implied, although your inference is fair enough based on what was actually written.

The idea being that there's always a risk to not rotating or not giving the 'cover' players either a couple of games here and there or some reasonable minutes (20+ mins) in games already well and truly won.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #396 on: December 31, 2013, 07:59:11 pm »

Players have played injured for years, that what Cortisone injections were made for, they are far more worried about not getting their place back, or in the Shanks era the manager ignoring you completely, lets not try to use this as a poor stick for Brendan.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Online Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: December 31, 2013, 08:12:22 pm »
Players have played injured for years, that what Cortisone injections were made for, they are far more worried about not getting their place back, or in the Shanks era the manager ignoring you completely, lets not try to use this as a poor stick for Brendan.
Do calm down. I was certainly not beating anybody. Just musing why an injured player played is all.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: December 31, 2013, 08:13:20 pm »
I don't think that's what was implied, although your inference is fair enough based on what was actually written.

The idea being that there's always a risk to not rotating or not giving the 'cover' players either a couple of games here and there or some reasonable minutes (20+ mins) in games already well and truly won.

I didn't mean he was literally forced to play but required to play if I was to rephrase.

When the games are coming thick and fast if you refuse to rotate or sub players at all then injuries are just the consequence of that. And if we're requiring players to play through injuries all the time then they're just going to make them worse, or pick up something else. It was both with Allen - several 90 minutes in a short space of time and then plays with an injury. Gerrard was carrying an injury but still played 90 minutes every game. The consequence is a spell out injured so the next guy comes in and can't get rotated either (much like Allen in Gerrard's absence).

Manage the squad!

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #399 on: December 31, 2013, 08:24:40 pm »
I didn't mean he was literally forced to play but required to play if I was to rephrase.

When the games are coming thick and fast if you refuse to rotate or sub players at all then injuries are just the consequence of that. And if we're requiring players to play through injuries all the time then they're just going to make them worse, or pick up something else. It was both with Allen - several 90 minutes in a short space of time and then plays with an injury. Gerrard was carrying an injury but still played 90 minutes every game. The consequence is a spell out injured so the next guy comes in and can't get rotated either (much like Allen in Gerrard's absence).

Manage the squad!
I agree with that. The problem is though we haven't had a fully fit or deep enough squad to be able to rotate. Allen was injured at the beginning of the season so we couldn't rotate any of the midfielders. Allen was back for about three games before Gerrard got injured which left us again with just three fit central midfielders.

Obviously we had Alberto during this time who could have been used more to rest players when we were winning comfortably but for one reason or another hasn't. We also have to consider that Gerrard has much less training now and uses the game time to help maintain his match fitness.