Author Topic: England's Summer of Cricket 2017 South Africa and West Indies Series  (Read 74329 times)

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
Re: England's Summer of Cricket 2017 South Africa and West Indies Series
« Reply #1560 on: September 29, 2017, 01:54:13 pm »
Four successive sixes from Gayle off Ball's bowling (really glad he is in the Ashes squad!).
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #1561 on: September 29, 2017, 02:07:12 pm »
Windies 77-1 off 13 overs, 48 were off Ball's 5 overs.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #1562 on: September 29, 2017, 04:50:13 pm »
England chasing 287 maybe slightly under par

Ball 1-94 more than Rashid and Ali combined!

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1563 on: September 29, 2017, 07:52:11 pm »
Great from Bairstow and Roy that. Absolutely took them apart.

Brilliant to see how Roy has come back like this after being dropped. Problem for Hales now is he's given away the shirt briefly and the men who've taken it can't be dropped just now...

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #1564 on: September 29, 2017, 07:55:23 pm »
nice win.

and that's a wrap.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1565 on: September 29, 2017, 08:00:45 pm »
Proper shoeing that. Wonder what we'd have scored if we'd batted the full 50, well over 400 I reckon.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #1566 on: September 29, 2017, 08:12:06 pm »
Hey up! Bairstow for Test opener? That's two tons in this series coming in first dibs.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1567 on: September 29, 2017, 09:09:40 pm »
Hey up! Bairstow for Test opener? That's two tons in this series coming in first dibs.

Tougher attacks out there I dare say. But why not, get Cook working on his running between the wickets.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1568 on: September 29, 2017, 09:19:46 pm »
Tougher attacks out there I dare say. But why not, get Cook working on his running between the wickets.

There are tougher attacks, of course. But Windies have by no means been as hopeless as we were led to expect.

His running between the wickets is quite phenomenal (and maybe too much for Cook). He must get 10 runs for his running for every 50 runs, if you know what I mean.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1569 on: September 29, 2017, 09:28:39 pm »
If Bairstow is going to open I think Foakes has to play. Keeping wicket and opening is too big an ask.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1570 on: October 3, 2017, 10:04:41 am »
Thought my Lancashire friends might like to see this - the days when Wes Hall, Charlie Griffith and Viv terrorised the Lancashire leagues and Nelson CCC played before crowds of 20,000: http://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/41391493

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1571 on: October 3, 2017, 10:16:21 am »
I'll watch this later looks excellent; i remember wanting to go and see Viv play when they played Todmorden but i have no idea why i didn't.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1572 on: October 3, 2017, 10:23:18 am »
I'll watch this later looks excellent; i remember wanting to go and see Viv play when they played Todmorden but i have no idea why i didn't.

The Yorkshire leagues had something similar going of course. When I was cutting my cricket teeth the Huddersfield League had South Africans (cough cough) Allan Lamb and Garth Le Roux playing for Holmfirth CC and Lascelles Hall CC respectively. There was also the Indian Test spinner Dilip Doshi at Meltham CC. In my dad's time Gary Sobers had also turned out for Paddock CC.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1573 on: October 3, 2017, 10:26:02 am »
Dilip Doshi - there's a name from the vaults.  His name always reminded me of Bishan Bedi (a Top Trumps stalwart)

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1574 on: October 3, 2017, 10:35:32 am »
Dilip Doshi - there's a name from the vaults.  His name always reminded me of Bishan Bedi (a Top Trumps stalwart)

Bedi had that gorgeous action. I seem to recall him bowling 8 consecutive maidens in the JPL back in the day, but have never found any documentary evidence of this.

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1575 on: October 3, 2017, 10:51:04 am »
Bedi had that gorgeous action. I seem to recall him bowling 8 consecutive maidens in the JPL back in the day, but have never found any documentary evidence of this.

No mention of consecutive maidens but certainly did 8 maidens against East Africa in the 75 World Cup!

https://www.sportskeeda.com/cricket/stats-most-economical-bowling-spells-odis

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1576 on: October 3, 2017, 10:54:41 am »
No mention of consecutive maidens but certainly did 8 maidens against East Africa in the 75 World Cup!

https://www.sportskeeda.com/cricket/stats-most-economical-bowling-spells-odis

That's probably it! Thank you.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1577 on: October 3, 2017, 12:33:44 pm »
Thought my Lancashire friends might like to see this - the days when Wes Hall, Charlie Griffith and Viv terrorised the Lancashire leagues and Nelson CCC played before crowds of 20,000: http://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/41391493

Saw that last night on BBC 4. Well worth a watch if you missed it at the time. What an interesting character Learie Constantine was.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1578 on: October 3, 2017, 01:04:38 pm »
Ha, watched this on iPlayer the other day and meant to post a link to it on here. I might have known wveryon had already seen it.

Hadn't realised the Lancashire League had the same teams in it for a ridiculous number of years. Is it a closed shop in terms of promotion?

Never knew Viv had played in it. Remember some old boy from my club who had played in that League back in the day and faced either Griffiths or Hall (I forget which now). Really interesting viewing though.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1579 on: October 3, 2017, 01:38:14 pm »
Ha, watched this on iPlayer the other day and meant to post a link to it on here. I might have known wveryon had already seen it.

Hadn't realised the Lancashire League had the same teams in it for a ridiculous number of years. Is it a closed shop in terms of promotion?

Never knew Viv had played in it. Remember some old boy from my club who had played in that League back in the day and faced either Griffiths or Hall (I forget which now). Really interesting viewing though.

There's a story in that very fine book about northern league cricket by.....the Middlesbrough bloke, who used to write funny stories in the Guardian about footy and cricket. Can't remember his name. But he tells of blokes going out to bat against Griffith, I think, in the early 60s and fearing for their lives. One forward looking player, who worked for the local Fire Brigade, came out to bat in his fireman's helmet. It was one of those old-fashioned crested ones too, with lots of extra silver bits and plumes of gold. A really gorgeous thing! Would love to have seen that.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1580 on: October 3, 2017, 01:48:27 pm »
John Nicholson?

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1581 on: October 3, 2017, 01:51:15 pm »
Harry Pearson.