Author Topic: Fernando Torres  (Read 588871 times)

Offline jizzspunk

• Cumming soon. Or going. Depends how 'real' it gets. #livinginrealism
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Fernando Torres
« Reply #7040 on: May 28, 2016, 11:22:20 pm »

Ran less than Sturridge......
according to 24/7 I will be scrambling round for tickets on the exchange all season #STH #19awayclub

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7041 on: May 28, 2016, 11:31:44 pm »

:-\

Offline Rich

• Kopite
  • RAWK Lurker
« Reply #7042 on: May 28, 2016, 11:35:20 pm »
He was 'missing' but didn't get much played into him to be fair.  The first ball they played into his feet he won a penalty from.

Offline Advil

• The Pain in Houllier's Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kopite Family
« Reply #7043 on: May 28, 2016, 11:51:19 pm »
He was poor. He really lacks a footballing brain. The way he plays is exactly like when he had that blistering pace. He should realize that he is nowhere as fast as he was before.
None but a noble man treats women in an honorable manner, and none but an ignorant man treats women disgracefully.
-Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Doubter To Believer.
  • Super Title: And back to Doubter
« Reply #7044 on: May 29, 2016, 12:49:45 am »
In fairness though, should have taken it before Juanfran.

And then left Juanfran taking the penalty which is literally all or nothing?
Believe

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7045 on: May 29, 2016, 01:16:53 am »
He was poor. He really lacks a footballing brain. The way he plays is exactly like when he had that blistering pace. He should realize that he is nowhere as fast as he was before.
True, but one of his problems is that, whereas some other quick players will also slow down and use other skills to be useful, Torres was always a 100mph player. He was never an intricate tactical/technical type (though he obviously has certain technical strengths).

The biggest issue today was that he just did not run.

I think Atletico will be looking to sign a headline striker this summer.

Offline Advil

• The Pain in Houllier's Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kopite Family
« Reply #7046 on: May 29, 2016, 01:21:56 am »
True, but one of his problems is that, whereas some other quick players will also slow down and use other skills to be useful, Torres was always a 100mph player. He was never an intricate tactical/technical type (though he obviously has certain technical strengths).

The biggest issue today was that he just did not run.

I think Atletico will be looking to sign a headline striker this summer.

They can buy this World Class Belgian striker for 50m pound from us or they can throw in Saul and Griezman for a swop.
None but a noble man treats women in an honorable manner, and none but an ignorant man treats women disgracefully.
-Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #7047 on: May 29, 2016, 02:14:50 am »
Couldn't help but feel sorry for him to be honest. I've forgiven the Chelsea mistake. Maybe he could have waited slightly longer and it will always be a what could have been a little like Robbie though obviously we loved robbed that much more. But he gave me good moments in my life so I did feel sad watching him cry at the end there. Fuck me I did the same myself at our final. And Real Madrid onto 11, ffs.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #7048 on: May 29, 2016, 03:17:49 am »
Couldn't help but feel sorry for him to be honest. I've forgiven the Chelsea mistake. Maybe he could have waited slightly longer and it will always be a what could have been a little like Robbie though obviously we loved robbed that much more. But he gave me good moments in my life so I did feel sad watching him cry at the end there. Fuck me I did the same myself at our final. And Real Madrid onto 11, ffs.

We nearly won our 6th in 2007; Madrid were on 9. You have to wonder what would have happened if we had kept the 08-09 team together instead of gutting it. Annoying.

Onto Torres - feel sorry for him, but that's the way it ends. Not sure if he'll stay on at Atleti, but good luck to him.
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7049 on: May 29, 2016, 03:24:17 am »
In fairness though, should have taken it before Juanfran.

WTF even is this? We had this after the League Cup Final with our players. He'd have put his hand up for a penalty and then the manager decides the order, not the fucking players. Idiotic saying he didn't have the balls to take the fourth pen, you don't just decide who is taking what penalty as you go along.

When the camera cut to him just standing there crying it really got me. I adored him, like many did, and he left in not so great circumstances. He was one of the top strikers in the world and he had seen the man who he came here to play for shafted out of the club by two new cretinous owners and then replaced by Hodgson ffs. Yes we got Kenny in and Suarez was bought to partner him but it was too little too late by then, his mind was made up. He said a couple of shitty things in his opening interview with Chelsea like the 'big club' remark but I don't think he meant that in a snide way. He has shown that he still cares for the club and really regrets his decision to leave, I'd consider him a former Liverpool striker before a former Chelsea striker.

Thought he was a bit missing tonight, mind. A lot of that was due to how poor Atletico were in the first half and the second half they just seemed to focus on getting it to Carrasco or Griezman rather than trying to fashion out proper chances. Is he leaving Atletico now? I think he is on loan, isn't he? And they have the transfer ban.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7050 on: May 29, 2016, 08:57:31 am »
Was really hoping they'd do it last night, partly for him. Would much rather have seen Pepe and Ramos crying after the game...

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7051 on: May 29, 2016, 10:15:45 am »
He was appalling last night to be honest. I did feel sorry for him . No luck on his side.

Online Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #7052 on: May 29, 2016, 11:02:02 am »
So he's a free agent now isn't he?

Sign him up.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #7053 on: May 29, 2016, 11:07:18 am »
When the camera cut to him just standing there crying it really got me. I adored him, like many did, and he left in not so great circumstances. He was one of the top strikers in the world and he had seen the man who he came here to play for shafted out of the club by two new cretinous owners and then replaced by Hodgson ffs. Yes we got Kenny in and Suarez was bought to partner him but it was too little too late by then, his mind was made up. He said a couple of shitty things in his opening interview with Chelsea like the 'big club' remark but I don't think he meant that in a snide way. He has shown that he still cares for the club and really regrets his decision to leave, I'd consider him a former Liverpool striker before a former Chelsea striker.
Me too mate, and it seemed different to a lot of players' tears after a loss - he looked like he was in real emotional pain, it wasn't just a physical release from a tired defeated athlete. The sense of disappointment in himself, and one last chance of glory with his hometown club having slipped through his fingers at the very last act - at the hands of their detested derby rivals Royal Madrid and all - was just palpable. It genuinely touched me to see that.

I also share your views on him in general - he is a former Liverpool FC beloved world-class star striker first and foremost, there is still love and warmth there for him. Holding onto petty bitterness is so pointless, he quite clearly was not the sole architect of his demise. I don't hate Suarez for moving on and up (nor even for wanting to), and I don't hate Torres for downgrading to them lot for an obviously very unhappy, unappreciated and unfulfilling period in his career and life. In fact, I want them both to maintain close connections with us going forward - charity events and the like. That what-could-have-been team up of theirs at Anfield was something magical.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #7054 on: May 29, 2016, 02:10:32 pm »
So he's a free agent now isn't he?

Sign him up.

Is he seriously available on a free now? Interesting....

Offline Claude Cat

• Sworn Enemy of Pawed Dog!
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #7055 on: May 30, 2016, 03:24:47 am »

:-\

was gutted for him to be honest

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7056 on: July 29, 2016, 11:14:48 am »
Watching him play against Spurs, I still feel really sorry for him. (to a point). Like Michael Owen (who I don't feel one bit sorry for) he pretty much ruined his career by one poor decision. We may have done well to sell him when we did because he never has seemed to be the same player, but whether that's becuase he lost it physically or mentally who knows.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #7057 on: July 29, 2016, 12:05:09 pm »
Watching him play against Spurs, I still feel really sorry for him. (to a point). Like Michael Owen (who I don't feel one bit sorry for) he pretty much ruined his career by one poor decision. We may have done well to sell him when we did because he never has seemed to be the same player, but whether that's becuase he lost it physically or mentally who knows.
both maybe
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #7058 on: July 29, 2016, 03:35:58 pm »
Yea I think he could still have been a devastating striker (albeit a very different type) even if he had lost it somewhat physically, if he was in the right frame of mind/supported well (e.g. at Anfield). I think his demise was as much (if not more) mental as it was physical.

By the way, at their very peaks, who was better? Alan Shearer or Fernando Torres?
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7059 on: July 29, 2016, 03:43:03 pm »
To be fair he was having a pretty poor season by his standards up until the January where we sold him. I remember him struggling performance wise until those two goals against Chelsea and the couple at Wolves but a lot of us assumed his performances were either down to Hodgson or that his mind was elsewhere more than anything. In hindsight I think it's obvious that his body had broken down on him even then, and while he might have carried on scoring at a steady rate he would never have been the same player as he was between 2007 and 2009.

I think Liverpool fans in general overplay his decision to move to Chelsea as the reason it all went to pot. I suppose it is understandable that fans try to rationalise it and paint it as "poor fernando, haunted by his mistake". At the end of the day he's another player who decided to jump ship, and despite the downturn in his form he still went on to win more with that shower of shite than he would've done here. I doubt he's crying himself to sleep at night watching that "gracias mate" advert on youtube.

Offline SMASHerano

• Provides nothing extra. Average poster.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
« Reply #7060 on: August 16, 2016, 05:20:35 pm »
“I didn’t have that time. I was 27 years old. I did not have time to wait. I wanted to win. Here we are five years later and they are still trying to build – around the same position in the league as when I left.”

:)

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/torres-liverpool-portrayed-traitor-felt-11757393

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7061 on: August 16, 2016, 06:09:59 pm »
Yeah we get that he was ambitious blah blah blah.But how hard it would have been to wait for another six months rather than moving in the last day of January?

As if his entire career would have been ruined if didnt decide to fuck of a hated rivals on the last minute of winter transfer window.Seriously how thick some footballers are  :butt

Finally after him moving from Chelsea started to like him again slowly and then he comes up with this nonsense.

Offline U13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7062 on: August 16, 2016, 06:45:45 pm »
Yeah we get that he was ambitious blah blah blah.But how hard it would have been to wait for another six months rather than moving in the last day of January?

As if his entire career would have been ruined if didnt decide to fuck of a hated rivals on the last minute of winter transfer window.Seriously how thick some footballers are  :butt

Finally after him moving from Chelsea started to like him again slowly and then he comes up with this nonsense.

Did you miss the part of the article where he states that Liverpool were having negotiations with Chelsea prior to  him discussing his future?

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7063 on: August 16, 2016, 06:55:47 pm »
He put a transfer request in days before the window shut to go to one of our biggest rivals and it was Liverpool who made him the villain? Can't follow his logic there.

Offline seal75

• Kopite
« Reply #7064 on: August 17, 2016, 07:05:11 am »
Can someone tell him to shut up?
He's a traitor and we don't want him to talk about Liverpool.
"Ni pour, ni contre. Bien au contraire!", Coluche.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7065 on: August 17, 2016, 08:23:25 am »
Can someone tell him to shut up?
He's a traitor and we don't want him to talk about Liverpool.

Do you think hicks & Gillet, Purslow and co were making the right decisions at the time for the club?  It was a disaster.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7066 on: August 17, 2016, 08:51:47 am »
Did you miss the part of the article where he states that Liverpool were having negotiations with Chelsea prior to  him discussing his future?

Not that I don't believe him, but he is trying very hard to paint himself as the victim here. The truth, as always, is probably somewhere in between.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7067 on: August 17, 2016, 09:56:30 am »
“I didn’t have that time. I was 27 years old. I did not have time to wait. I wanted to win. Here we are five years later and they are still trying to build – around the same position in the league as when I left.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/torres-liverpool-portrayed-traitor-felt-11757393

Just to play devil's advocate here. He does have a point.  And to throw it back at him, I don't think him staying would've made a difference either...

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7068 on: August 17, 2016, 10:00:47 am »
He put a transfer request in days before the window shut to go to one of our biggest rivals and it was Liverpool who made him the villain? Can't follow his logic there.

If life would be that simple, but if it makes you happy...

Maybe at least try reading to entire article in the Echo first..
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7069 on: August 17, 2016, 10:05:35 am »

Do you think hicks & Gillet, Purslow and co were making the right decisions at the time for the club?  It was a disaster.

All 3 had left the club prior to that window and the quotes suggest it was days before the deal we spoke to Chelsea, not months.

This is what Kenny had to say in the days before the move....

"Everybody was disappointed that he left the club," Dalglish said. "Most disappointing was the timing, but we move on. The football club will always be here, and no person is bigger than this football club.

"The club and the owners did everything we possibly could but it was not to be, so he moved on. He's playing for someone else now. The most important people are the people at this football club."

I know which one I trust.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7070 on: August 17, 2016, 10:07:52 am »
This is what Torres said after the move...

"I felt from last summer that I needed to do a step forward in my career and for my ambition as a footballer," Torres said. "I am joining a team that is at the top level. There is not another level after Chelsea.

Chelsea have the chance every season to win all the trophies that they play for, so when you have the chance to play in a team like this, you cannot say no."

Offline Sibierski Nazário

• Extremely precious about CR7
  • Kopite
« Reply #7071 on: August 17, 2016, 10:13:03 am »

He's right though about us still being in the same position in the league as when he left, look at the team he's currently playing for and what they have achieved in the last four years, compare their progress to us in the last four years and he's bang on the money about us being around the same league position as five years ago.
Greatzman >3
AUbamumyingyang >3

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7072 on: August 17, 2016, 10:19:16 am »
He's right though about us still being in the same position in the league as when he left, look at the team he's currently playing for and what they have achieved in the last four years, compare their progress to us in the last four years and he's bang on the money about us being around the same league position as five years ago.

Ignoring the fact that since he left we were a point away from the title, won the league cup, been to a European final, an FA Cup final and aother league cup final.

Where as he's been, well, shite.

Maybe if he stuck about once the new owners and manager came in he'd have seen a difference, but his quotes above say it all...

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #7073 on: August 17, 2016, 10:21:51 am »
Ignoring the fact that since he left we were a point away from the title, won the league cup, been to a European final, an FA Cup final and aother league cup final.

Just bear in mind you're dealing with a wum.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7074 on: August 17, 2016, 10:52:44 am »
Book release coinciding with a bit of PR detailing some of the 'reasons' why he left Liverpool. Ask any top class player who has left us in recent years and you get (1) Issues with management or ownership (2) Double the wages on offer (3) CL football etc etc etc

Modern day football and unless you are Carra and SG, who both nearly left for various football reasons as well, I don't see what Torres owe us at this stage with the exception of a bit of grace and I don't see him bad mouthing the fans. Right now you have the likes of Lucas willing to graft for us anytime he is selected but nearly every window in the past 5 years there has been numerous reasons why we need to move on from him. Players may be fickle but feck me us fans are not far behind.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7075 on: August 17, 2016, 11:18:56 am »
He chose to leave to try and guarantee trophies, rather than staying to fight for trophies.

He somewhat achieved that by winning the Champions League and the Europa League, but he played very, very little part in either of those successes.

It's up to him to decide whether it was worth it. For me, I would rather be an integral part to less success than be a bit-part to a lot of success. It is much more meaningful that way. 
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7076 on: August 17, 2016, 11:39:43 am »

Where as he's been, well, shite.

Maybe if he stuck about once the new owners and manager came in he'd have seen a difference, but his quotes above say it all...

We have won a league cup.  That's it.  You're ignoring that fact.

Torres has gotten himself a CL, a Europa league and a FA Cup winners medals.  Last season we lost in the Europa League final while Torres lost in the Champions League final, playing with his boyhood club.

We got 50m for Torres at a time when that was a LOT of money for a footballer.  It was a good deal for us, and Torres got the trophies he craved and likely wouldn't have achieved here.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7077 on: August 17, 2016, 11:43:30 am »

Torres has gotten himself a CL, a Europa league and a FA Cup winners medals.  Last season we lost in the Europa League final while Torres lost in the Champions League final, playing with his boyhood club.

We got 50m for Torres at a time when that was a LOT of money for a footballer.  It was a good deal for us, and Torres got the trophies he craved and likely wouldn't have achieved here.

He got them playing minimal minutes, and contributing even less, then was sent on various unsuccessful loans until last season (and even then he was in and out of the side).

If that's how he wanted to win things, and if he can look back and think he contributed to those wins, then so be it.

Offline LJA

• Main Stander
« Reply #7078 on: August 17, 2016, 11:48:05 am »

Very much this.

I can't blame him for wanting to leave and at his age he made the right choice.

Offline LJA

• Main Stander
« Reply #7079 on: August 17, 2016, 11:49:45 am »
He got them playing minimal minutes, and contributing even less, then was sent on various unsuccessful loans until last season (and even then he was in and out of the side).

If that's how he wanted to win things, and if he can look back and think he contributed to those wins, then so be it.

You come across as really bitter. He scored in the final of the  Europa League final and in the semi final of the Champions League final. I'm sure he feels like he contributed.