Author Topic: European and World Champion and all round Big Man Joseph Dave Gomez  (Read 775498 times)

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
Re: England International Joseph Dave Gomez
« Reply #2520 on: October 24, 2018, 11:19:27 pm »
Please keep him playing through the middle. Compliments VVD so well and his pace is such a huge asset through the middle catching up to fast paced strikers

Offline Poet

• He IS a poet! And he truly knows it! He's a new member; fresh fire from old ember. No idiot or fool, for he follows Liverpool. A CT gift from heaven! Well, actually, from 24/7...who's taller than 5' 11"!
  • Kopite
    • Sui-Juris
« Reply #2521 on: October 24, 2018, 11:24:29 pm »
This lad and VVD make me feel a certain way each time they step onto that field. "They make everything look like clockwork" as my old man put it tonight. He's certainly a gem.
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2522 on: October 25, 2018, 12:15:41 pm »
Has a footballer ever returned from an ACL injury and displayed this level of physical performance? It seems to have made him quicker if anything!
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2523 on: October 25, 2018, 12:23:30 pm »
Please keep him playing through the middle. Compliments VVD so well and his pace is such a huge asset through the middle catching up to fast paced strikers

This please.

Up there as the best centre back pairing in football right now. Can only see them getting better over time too. if you're picking a centre back pairing for team of the season so far in England, these two are in it.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2524 on: October 25, 2018, 02:47:57 pm »
Well better than John Stones.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #2525 on: October 25, 2018, 02:49:24 pm »
His back pocket must be getting very heavy now.  Loads of top class attackers stuck in there.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #2526 on: October 25, 2018, 05:41:31 pm »
His back pocket must be getting very heavy now.  Loads of top class attackers stuck in there.
I hope he's changing his shorts for every game, so there would always be room for one more.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2527 on: October 25, 2018, 08:02:26 pm »
Personally i think he's a part of the best defence we've had at the club since Alan Hansen threw on his shorts for us.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #2528 on: October 26, 2018, 12:32:32 am »
Early discussions about a new deal taking place to reward his form is a good move from the club. He deserves it, hopefully plays his whole career here.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline cipher

• Kopite
  • Southport & Toronto
« Reply #2529 on: October 26, 2018, 02:38:15 am »
I posted numerous time last year about Gomez being our future CB and the impact that VVD would have on him when that signing was taking place (best 75M ever spent by any team!).  However, I have to admit I've been surprised by how quickly Joe's taken to this position.  I was thinking he may get 15-20 games this year in the middle with next year being the start of that central partnership for years to come.  Today, I'd be hard pressed to name a better central partnership than him and VVD in the Premier League.

Just thinking about these two locking up those central positions for at least the next 6-7 years brings a huge smile to my face.  It's one of the key factors to having a consistent championship level team.

The exciting/scary part is he's just starting and is going to get even better!
Raúl barely had a kick. The nearest he got to greatness was when he shook Gerrard by the hand.   Times - Mar 10,2009.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2530 on: October 26, 2018, 03:57:47 am »
Speedy Gomez

Online Kansti

• Legacy Fan
  • Stargazer
« Reply #2531 on: October 26, 2018, 04:06:25 am »
Cheat code.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2532 on: October 26, 2018, 06:09:50 am »
Definitely prefer him at CB than RB.  Sometimes you roll the dice and you get lucky, looks like we have here.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2533 on: October 26, 2018, 07:52:56 am »
According to the Echo, the club is due to put him on a better contract, as Klopp feels he has earned it. We need to tie him to the club for years to come.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #2534 on: October 26, 2018, 07:58:23 am »
Has Contract until 2022.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #2535 on: October 26, 2018, 02:03:47 pm »
Klopp talking about how the players decided Van Dijk should be captain in the absence of Hendo and Milner, made me think. It is common now for the armband to go to the longest serving player, and with Joe being so young, chances are, he's going to be that player at some point.

So anyone want to have a guess when he will first be made club captain? I'm going for 2021-22.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2536 on: October 26, 2018, 02:13:29 pm »

So anyone want to have a guess when he will first be made club captain? I'm going for 2021-22.

I can see Alexander-Arnold being captain before him. Local lad and all that.

Good news to reward this guy with a better contract, he absolutely deserves it.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2537 on: October 26, 2018, 02:24:07 pm »
I can see Alexander-Arnold being captain before him. Local lad and all that.

Good news to reward this guy with a better contract, he absolutely deserves it.

Joe has seniority, and centre backs are given the armband more often, but I could see that.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #2538 on: October 26, 2018, 02:38:21 pm »
The surprise of the season. I thought he was good but I didn’t realise he was so effing good. He knows he’s good too, which is essential for a centre half. I love his self-belief.
He purrs, doesn't he? We all thought that he'd be a young player getting a chance to learn from quality like Van Dijk and show signs of what he can be. Instead he's matched that level with an almost effortless air about his play, striding forward with style and conviction, playing well-weighted passes to feet and, my oh my, when he switches on that pace! Attackers who are clean through end up losing the ball without Joe even having to tackle them. It's such an asset to have; we must be the only team in the league who, because of the incredible pace of our back four and the dominance of Alisson, can play a preposterously high-line whilst, effectively, leaving no space in behind it.

Two things that have particularly impressed me - I had no idea he was so good on the ball. I had an inkling that RB was making him look less classy a player than he is, but it's not just that his limitations were more highlighted there, it's that he actually excels at a type of run/pass that you need to be in the centre to use to it's greatest effect - those quick, vertical passes to feet that remove lines and that you used to love about Lucas. So much so that when he's played at RB this season he's looked even more effective there, too, I think just from having more confidence, and perhaps because his team-mates understand more about the kinds of passes he can play.

The second thing was something I noticed against Partizan. Clearly he's a well-built lad, but for a CB he isn't the tallest. You can see with Van Dijk that natural athleticism combined with hard tactical work added to a 6'4" frame makes pretty much unbeatable in the air (as opposed to Matip who is even taller, but lacks the athleticism and isn't quite on the same tactical level, so can still win a lot in the air but can't really win it to great effect, headers are won but not directed). Gomez hasn't got that advantage and can't simply outreach every opponent, but what he can do is employ a little snidiness. I noticed quite often that he was pinning Partizan forwards by holding their arms, using his superior strength to hold them and then timing to win the headers. It's great. I might be going way overboard here but I think there are shades of Cannavoro about him - a CB of only 5'8" or so who nevertheless rarely got beaten in the air because everything else about his game was so good, including knowing how to hinder opponents without drawing the eye of the referee.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 02:41:32 pm by hesbighesred »
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2539 on: October 26, 2018, 02:42:17 pm »
He purrs, doesn't he? We all thought that he'd be a young player getting a chance to learn from quality like Van Dijk and show signs of what he can be. Instead he's matched that level with an almost effortless air about his play, striding forward with style and conviction, playing well-weighted passes to feet and, my oh my, when he switches on the pace. It's such an asset that we must be the only team in the league who, because of the incredible pace of our back four and the dominance of Alisson, can play a preposterously high-line whilst, effectively, leaving no space in behind it.

Two things that have particularly impressed me - I had no idea he was so good on the ball. I had an inkling that RB was making him look less classy a player than he is, but it's not just that his limitations were more highlighted there, it's that he actually excels at a type of run/pass that you need to be in the centre to use to it's greatest effect - those quick, vertical passes to feet that remove lines and that you used to love about Lucas. So much so that when he's played at RB this season he's looked even more effective there, too.

The second thing was something I noticed against Partizan. Clearly he's a well-built lad, but for a CB he isn't the tallest. You can see with Van Dijk that natural athleticism combined with hard tactical work added to a 6'4" frame makes pretty much unbeatable in the air (as opposed to Matip who is even taller, but lacks the athleticism and isn't quite on the same tactical level, so can still win a lot in the air but can't really win it to great effect, headers are won but not directed). Gomez hasn't got that advantage and can't simply outreach every opponent, but what he can do is employ a little snidiness. I noticed quite often that he was pinning Partizan forwards by holding their arms, using his superior strength to hold them and then timing to win the headers. It's great. I might be going way overboard here but I think there are shades of Cannavoro about him - a CB of only 5'8" or so who nevertheless rarely got beaten in the air because everything else about his game was so good, including knowing how to hinder opponents without drawing the eye of the referee.

Good points and a good post but Gomez is 6'2 , so whilst he isn't Van Dijk who is  6'4, he certainly isn't Cannavaro either.

Btw Lovren is the same height as Gomez

Offline TealC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2540 on: October 26, 2018, 02:45:10 pm »
Lad is an absolute unit

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2541 on: October 26, 2018, 02:48:34 pm »
He purrs, doesn't he? We all thought that he'd be a young player getting a chance to learn from quality like Van Dijk and show signs of what he can be. Instead he's matched that level with an almost effortless air about his play, striding forward with style and conviction, playing well-weighted passes to feet and, my oh my, when he switches on that pace! Attackers who are clean through end up losing the ball without Joe even having to tackle them. It's such an asset to have; we must be the only team in the league who, because of the incredible pace of our back four and the dominance of Alisson, can play a preposterously high-line whilst, effectively, leaving no space in behind it.

Two things that have particularly impressed me - I had no idea he was so good on the ball. I had an inkling that RB was making him look less classy a player than he is, but it's not just that his limitations were more highlighted there, it's that he actually excels at a type of run/pass that you need to be in the centre to use to it's greatest effect - those quick, vertical passes to feet that remove lines and that you used to love about Lucas. So much so that when he's played at RB this season he's looked even more effective there, too, I think just from having more confidence, and perhaps because his team-mates understand more about the kinds of passes he can play.

1) It was Red Star not Partizan.

2) He's 6' 2". That's a good height for a CB. He just looks a tad on the short side standing next to 6' 4" Virgil Van Dijk.

Apart from that, good post. :)
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #2542 on: October 26, 2018, 02:49:46 pm »
Joe has seniority, and centre backs are given the armband more often, but I could see that.

Depends how you class seniority - TAA has been at the club since he was knee high to a grasshopper. :D
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2543 on: October 26, 2018, 02:51:23 pm »
Good points and a good post but Gomez is 6'2 , so whilst he isn't Van Dijk who is  6'4, he certainly isn't Cannavaro either.

Btw Lovren is the same height as Gomez
That is a wee bit taller than I thought he was! Still, the main point of the comparison was to say that Gomez is using other tools against opponents he can't physically dominate. It makes him a very complete footballer.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2544 on: October 26, 2018, 02:52:13 pm »
1) It was Red Star not Partizan.
Hahaha. Thanks. Partizan? Why did I have that in my head? Dear oh dear, embarrassing. My apologies to the Red Star fan who posts on here!

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2545 on: October 26, 2018, 03:03:34 pm »

Good post. He looked like a decent little full back when he arrived. It was easy to forget then that he was so young. Then having been out so long with injury, he was almost a forgotten man. We were looking at him as an option at full back, and maybe someone who might be better served as a centre back, (although not here, seemed to be the implication.)
Last season, with Clyne out, he was alternated with Trent at full back, and pretty quickly ended up behind the younger man in the pecking order. There were still shouts that he should get a run in the middle, maybe on loan.

It is so easy to forget just how young he still is. Starting centre backs at this level just don't come along at twenty one. But since being brought in to replace Lovren he has been nothing short of a revelation. He is still learning the game. He is probably still growing (in breadth if not height) and he is working with Jurgen Klopp., playing and training with Virgil Van Dijk, getting the best education the game can provide. He is already one of the best defenders in the league, it is hard to imagine how he can still improve, but good defenders always do.

We are so fortunate to have this lad here. What would he cost us now? When you see a tug boat like Maguire slapped with a £75m fee, you have to wonder how much Gomez is worth.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2546 on: October 26, 2018, 03:17:24 pm »
What would he cost us now? When you see a tug boat like Maguire slapped with a £75m fee, you have to wonder how much Gomez is worth.
Christ. When you put it like that...

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #2547 on: October 26, 2018, 03:45:22 pm »
The surprise of the season. I thought he was good but I didn’t realise he was so effing good. He knows he’s good too, which is essential for a centre half. I love his self-belief.

Yeah, this is what's great to see. He has really come out of his shell, and has shown the confidence to collect the ball and slalom past a couple of players even when close to his own box.

Klopp has improved many young players and Gomez looks to be another, but it can't have done him any harm watching Virgil cruise around the pitch mopping up attacks with such an air of superiority. It's not very long ago (one year?) that I watched our CB's with mounting anxiety whereas now it's a pleasure to see how they win the ball and distribute it.

Nothing better than seeing young players come into the team and grow.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 03:48:02 pm by redtel »
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2548 on: October 26, 2018, 04:19:18 pm »
And the cherry on the cake is that he counts as "club-trained" now, too.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline simbo

• Kopite
« Reply #2549 on: October 26, 2018, 04:59:23 pm »
Good post. He looked like a decent little full back when he arrived. It was easy to forget then that he was so young. Then having been out so long with injury, he was almost a forgotten man. We were looking at him as an option at full back, and maybe someone who might be better served as a centre back, (although not here, seemed to be the implication.)
Last season, with Clyne out, he was alternated with Trent at full back, and pretty quickly ended up behind the younger man in the pecking order. There were still shouts that he should get a run in the middle, maybe on loan.

It is so easy to forget just how young he still is. Starting centre backs at this level just don't come along at twenty one. But since being brought in to replace Lovren he has been nothing short of a revelation. He is still learning the game. He is probably still growing (in breadth if not height) and he is working with  Klopp., playing and training with Virgil Van Dijk, getting the best education the game can provide. He is already one of the best defenders in the league, it is hard to imagine how he can still improve, but good defenders always do.

We are so fortunate to have this lad here. What would he cost us now? When you see a tug boat like Maguire slapped with a £75m fee, you have to wonder how much Gomez is worth.
When was he quickly behind Trent in any pecking order?

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2550 on: October 26, 2018, 05:06:01 pm »
When was he quickly behind Trent in any pecking order?

Last season. Trent established himself as first choice right back, ahead of Joe. For the first few months of the season, Klopp was alternating between the two. It's not that long ago...
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
  • No longer a teenage Rafa, still no goatee.
« Reply #2551 on: October 27, 2018, 06:05:06 am »
Last season. Trent established himself as first choice right back, ahead of Joe. For the first few months of the season, Klopp was alternating between the two. It's not that long ago...

True. Joe did make a few mistakes early on last season but it's clear Trent is a right back and Gomez a centre half. Joe can do a job there but isn't a natural like AA.

Him and VVD look impregnable. Our goals conceded tally is superb in any side but one that focuses on attack and leaves spaces like ours? Shows how good these boys are.

What are they, 20, 21, 27 and 25? Next 5 years should be sound.
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

Offline CN23

• Has one so long that he can't hold it himself......yeah right.....
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #2552 on: October 27, 2018, 07:49:04 am »
Definitely prefer him at CB than RB.  Sometimes you roll the dice and you get lucky, looks like we have here.

The CB position was the one we originally bought for...

Offline dirks digglers

• Kopite
« Reply #2553 on: October 27, 2018, 07:54:36 am »
Our best player along with Gini this season in my humble opinion. Not only good on the ball, which you could actually see when he originally played LB pre injury, but startling recovery pace, to the extent he looks like he’s actually giving attackers a head start deliberately.
If you can’t understand it without an explanation, you can’t understand it with an explanation.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2554 on: October 27, 2018, 08:00:53 am »
Our best player along with Gini this season in my humble opinion. Not only good on the ball, which you could actually see when he originally played LB pre injury, but startling recovery pace, to the extent he looks like he’s actually giving attackers a head start deliberately.

You can see the advntage in having that pace when you see Sakho looking like he was running through treacle trying to catch up with "fleet footed" Tosun last week, and Sakho isn't particularly slow either, just difficult to catch a player once he has a head start.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #2555 on: October 27, 2018, 08:44:12 am »
I know, I know, it's the Daily Mail, but this was a good interview. He comes across really well

'I couldn't cook so the canteen ladies would pack my meals': Liverpool ace Joe Gomez opens up on adapting to life away from his family home, love for his childhood sweetheart and Jurgen Klopp telling him to lose 'beach body'

Dressing rooms after a victory are fine places to be — they are what footballers live and work for. But at Liverpool last season it was not always like that, especially if you were a defender.

‘I remember the Man City game here,’ recalled Joe Gomez, glancing over his shoulder across Anfield.

‘We were 4-1 up with about five minutes to go and won 4-3.

They had a header that hit the side-netting and you ask yourself how you would have felt if that had gone in.

‘It takes something away from the joy. It should have been easier so it’s not always nice after.’

A ticket to watch Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool was arguably the hottest in the land last season. At times, you could get a tennis score as easily as a football result.

It was thrilling but pointed to vulnerability. Liverpool drew 3-3 at Sevilla in the Champions League after leading by three after half an hour, for example. They beat Roma 7-6 on aggregate in a semi-final they had led 5-0.

‘We had a few games where we let things slip and a team that wants to win the Premier League can’t have that,’ said Gomez.

‘In Seville, we needed to manage the game but couldn’t keep the ball and got intimidated. I was like: “What is going on?”.

‘When that happens it feels like a slippery slope and once one goes in you can start panicking. It feels like it’s out of your control and you are going to concede again.

‘Last season we struggled with set pieces and when we lost the ball we could be vulnerable.

‘We would concede a corner and think: “Please let them not score from this. Just don’t score here”. Maybe it accelerated my learning, We have all had to learn if we are going to improve.’

Gomez is still only 21 and it is rare to hear a young player talk so openly about a fundamental issue. But it is hard to argue. Really good teams don’t play on the hoof and so far this season there have been signs that Liverpool are moving to the next stage of development.

On Saturday they face Cardiff at home and may cut loose. But they have been more circumspect in their recent play, scoring a relatively modest 16 goals in nine league games while conceding only three.

Last Saturday at Huddersfield, Gomez played at right back in a Liverpool defence that looked resolute in a game where the team struggled to control possession.

‘We are not a less attacking team this season, it’s a matter of being conscious of game management and the manager is making sure we stay switched on,’ he explained.

‘We take pride in those games now. He used to yell at the top of his lungs. Now he doesn’t need to.

‘So we have to continue that stubbornness and not think we have to score three or four times to win. Keep the ball better late on and make better choices. See the game out. That is what we need if we are going to challenge for the title.’

As a kid in Catford, south London, Gomez used to take the 160 bus to training at Charlton’s academy. It could be scary at night and Gomez and his mates, Kasey and Josh, used to call it the ‘frontline’.

‘It wasn’t the safest and I would be on edge sometimes,’ he nodded.

‘Somebody might want to steal your phone. It wasn’t ridiculous, no knife crime or anything, but it wasn’t always pleasant.’

The number 75 bus from home to school was better. Largely because that was where he met his girlfriend, Tamara.

‘I didn’t have much chat, I was quite quiet,’ he said, bashfully. ‘But it was all about Blackberry messenger back then. I started messaging and talking and we got to know each other.’

This is important because if it wasn’t for Tamara, Gomez might not have coped in his early days at Liverpool. We sometimes make the mistake of presuming that wealth and a degree of fame make footballers immune to the stresses that affect other young people, but they don’t and Gomez learned this quickly.

Only just 18 when Brendan Rodgers signed him, Gomez went from the security of his family home — three sisters and one brother — to an apartment on his own in Liverpool’s Sefton Park.

‘We just packed my car and drove up,’ he recalled. ‘Tamara stayed the first night but was at university in London. She would come up every weekend but, that apart, I was by myself.

‘It is a lot to cope with. I had no exposure to it. I couldn’t cook. I could put a pizza from Iceland in the oven but that was it.

‘So a lot of the time I would take food home from the training ground to heat up.

‘The ladies there — Carol and Caroline — would pack my meals and I would microwave them. They were brilliant to me, so nice.

‘You take home the lunch so it could be the same meal twice, but I didn’t care. I loved their sweet potato.

‘The biggest thing for me was coming from a family of seven and having to suddenly get used to my own company all the time.

‘You go home after training and overthink everything because you have nothing to distract you and I struggled with that.

‘I would dwell on things. I am very much a boring guy anyway. The lads here give me stick for that. So I just went home, thought about stuff and did nothing. There is never a point where you think “I don’t want to be here” because you are at an amazing club with amazing people. You have an opportunity that many kids would dream of. You know what you are doing it all for.

‘But it was hard at times, those first two years, I won’t lie.’

What Gomez doesn’t mention is the cruciate ligament injury he suffered playing for England Under 21s only seven games into his Liverpool career. He didn’t play at all between October 2015 and January 2017. Life in that apartment must have been lonely.

‘I won’t dwell on the injury as it’s behind me but back then the only release for me was when I was on the pitch or training,’ he said.

‘And when that is replaced by the physio room then it gets even harder.’ 

Gomez is religious and was offered help and support by Liverpool’s club chaplain Bill Bygroves. ‘He always offered for me to go round to his house and helped with the transition,’ he said.

‘This club does little things like that really well. The small details. But I guess the main thing was Tamara. In the week I would be down and would look forward to her coming up. She is here now and we live in Formby. That is the boring life the lads talk about.

‘I still took food home until last summer but now Tamara is here, so maybe not so much. But I know Carol and Caroline are still there for me if I need them!’

Gomez was clocked at a top sprinting speed of 21.6mph during Liverpool’s win at Leicester this season. Injury, it seems, has not slowed him down.

‘Virgil van Dijk is quick and he has hit some good speeds, too,’ nodded Gomez.

‘Obviously Mo Salah and Sadio Mane are fast. Mo and Virgil have bantered about having a race but I think a few of us would fancy ourselves. Not that the sports science team would allow it!

‘I think over the first 10 yards me and Virgil would be looking at Sadio and Mo’s backs. But we may claw some back towards the end.’

The young Gomez was always fast but was gangly, too, and a little uncoordinated. Having failed his first Charlton trial at the age of 10, he was soon in the system and usually playing in age group teams with boys much older.

Liverpool, encouraged by chief scout Barry Hunter, wanted to sign him when he was 16 — 18 months before he made his first team debut for Charlton.

But his father, Gus, and long-term agent, John Morris, felt it was too soon.

At that point, Liverpool had already identified Gomez as a central defender.

Hunter and his staff were further convinced of this when they watched him battling big Cardiff striker Kenwyne Jones in a Championship game when he was only 17. But, developed by Charlton’s experienced academy heads Steve Avory and Paul Hart, the teenager was initially held back by his dislike of heading the ball.

Hart was a centre half for Brian Clough at Nottingham Forest and later brought England defender Jonathan Woodgate through the youth system at Leeds.

‘He threatened to not let me play until I sorted the heading,’ said Gomez. ‘If it wasn’t for him I may not be here. He wasn’t shy about telling me. Everyone in my team knew about it!

‘There are times when I found the criticisms difficult but they were the best thing for me.

‘It wasn’t just football. The way you conduct yourself, rules and attitude.

‘Heading definitely wasn’t my best attribute and my body language showed that. So I just had to change. Now I thrive on it. Back then I wasn’t how a proper defender should be.’

Gomez has worked hard at his football and his mental approach to the game. At Charlton, he was introspective if he made a mistake, even in training.

‘It affected me more than it should have,’ he nodded. ‘I would like to say I have the balance now but every mistake tests you, doesn’t it?’

Physically, the young defender has grown into his frame to the extent that Klopp instructed him to actually try and lose some muscle. ‘He called it my beach body,’ said Gomez, laughing at the memory.

An ankle injury last spring required surgery and cost Gomez a place in the Champions League final and England’s World Cup squad. Asked if he watched the tournament, Gomez winced and replied only: ‘Yeah.’

That experience was clearly painful but he is firmly part of Gareth Southgate’s plans now. The England manager is known to have already identified him as a possible future leader, and he was one of the star turns in the recent 3-2 win in Spain, while BBC pundit Garth Crooks has said Gomez reminds him of the great Bobby Moore.

Gomez has politely laughed that comparison off but this is a young footballer committed to improvement. With a whole summer off this year, Gomez spent precisely one week away from Liverpool’s training ground.

‘I had a week in the Maldives and apart from that I was in,’ he smiled. ‘And that week was because of Tamara really. If not she would have eaten my head off.’

Aware that there are now at least five Liverpool defenders competing for four places in Klopp’s team, Gomez is not fazed.

‘That level of competition was previously missing,’ he said. ‘We went through a phase that if we had injuries, all of a sudden Lucas Leiva was playing at centre back.’

Another clean sheet on Saturday would help the Liverpool cause and the transition towards dependability. It needs to come.

In the 1978-79 season, Bob Paisley’s Liverpool won the old First Division title by conceding 16 goals over a 42-game season. In 21 games at home, Liverpool scored 51 times and conceded only four. Can that ever happen again?

‘I don’t know,’ replied Gomez, blowing out his cheeks. ‘In a league with this level of competition it’s probably far-fetched — 16 is ambitious and it’s still early. But we should definitely aspire to be renowned for defending, as well as attacking.

‘The front three here has one of the best reputations in the world. If we could have that reputation at the back as well then just think what kind of team we could be.’

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6321955/Liverpool-ace-Joe-Gomez-opens-adapting-life-away-family-home.html
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2556 on: October 27, 2018, 09:01:43 am »
One of those interviews that reminds you that footballers are just human.. and that most of them are just normal people..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2557 on: October 27, 2018, 09:25:13 am »
Every game he plays I feel like I am just hoping he doesnt suffer any serious injuries after the last one. That just shows how important he is and what a career he could have.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #2558 on: October 27, 2018, 10:00:19 am »
‘The front three here has one of the best reputations in the world. If we could have that reputation at the back as well then just think what kind of team we could be.’

That is frightening and exciting and so bloody cool coming out of the mouth of a 21 year old. Joe Gomez is the future of this fantastic football club. Wow!
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2559 on: October 27, 2018, 10:22:35 am »
Great inteview and I especially liked the bit about when he first came here about how the club would look after the small details. It's always interesting knowing how hard it is for some players to settle at a club like this. It reminds you that sometime they just need a bit of time to adjust to things.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"