Author Topic: Drink Better Beer - Belgian, German, Craft, Ales, Lagers all your hoppy goodness in one place  (Read 275944 times)

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
Its as stupid as the cycling ones you see in places like London. Will attract knobheads who hopefully will qualify for a Darwin award.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
Apologies for hurting some people here on so many levels.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 11:37:57 pm by Latenight Surfer »
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Just to compare...

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline viteslesrouges

• Legacy Fan
  • Games : 535. Won : 308. Drawn : 131. Lost : 96
Just to compare...

Spirit consumption can be misleading though.

When I lived in Ukraine I would have 2-300 gm of vodka with my breakfast every day to help with the cold walk to work. :)
You made me forget myself, I thought I was someone else, someone good.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
has anyone ever had that westvleteren belgian beer

is it really that good to warrant paying 60 euro for 6 bottles
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
[/img]
Beating the Brits on both counts and given them a nice little hiding when it comes to downing beer, they probably have us on Wotsits and Quavers though. Bunch of light weights

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Beating the Brits on both counts and given them a nice little hiding when it comes to downing beer, they probably have us on Wotsits and Quavers though. Bunch of light weights

The Italians aren't much for the sauce, are they?

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
The Italians aren't much for the sauce, are they?
You need the equivalent wine map before you start dismissing the Italos, Frenchies, Spanishes and Portuguezers.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
You need the equivalent wine map before you start dismissing the Italos, Frenchies, Spanishes and Portuguezers.

True.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.

Agreed.

My consumption of wine, beer, and spirits could raise the figures in most countries.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Off to this tomorrow night in fantastic surroundings , eight of us should be a good night , been to a few a good few years ago . A couple in the holiday inn hotel in St johns precinct and once in the crypt of the catholic cathedral

http://www.stgeorgeshall.liverpoolbeerfestival.com/

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
True.
Id hazard a guess that our wine consumption has shot up since 2010. Mine has anyway.
Let's be honest, these are the countries that know what they're doing with regards to the good stuff.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
I was at a craft beer do in Meath on friday night

Kentucky has some great stuff

i tried some of their 10% pumpkin ale

great way to end the night. lovely stuff

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
did anyone have some christmas beers?

Rosey nosey and sanity claus?

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Just had some Ballest Point Sculpin Grapefruit IPA. Splendid stuff, natural grapefruit aroma and flavour in the extra IPA.

Sipping on a Highland Brewery Oatmeal Porter and tending my grill. Yes it is mid January but it is also 56 degrees and Brats were on sale...

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
did anyone have some christmas beers?

Rosey nosey and sanity claus?

Always get a selection of Belgium Christmas Beers from 'Beers of Europe'. Great service, order on line and it's there in 48 hours.

Anyhow a question....

I had a Blue Moon last night for the first time. When I poured it into the glass there was a lot of dark specks floating around which eventually settled into quite a sediment at the bottom. Is this normal? It tasted fine, though because it was my first I had nothing to compare it with.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Always get a selection of Belgium Christmas Beers from 'Beers of Europe'. Great service, order on line and it's there in 48 hours.

Anyhow a question....

I had a Blue Moon last night for the first time. When I poured it into the glass there was a lot of dark specks floating around which eventually settled into quite a sediment at the bottom. Is this normal? It tasted fine, though because it was my first I had nothing to compare it with.
i wouldnt think so

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
My in-laws bought me a selection of Brooklyn brewery beers for Christmas. I decided to start with the black chocolate stout on Christmas day. Got half way down the first one and thought there was a bit of a kick to it. Couldn't believe it when I looked at the bottle to see it was 10%.

Nice beer though and even better that I've found out my local off licence stocks it.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
My in-laws bought me a selection of Brooklyn brewery beers for Christmas. I decided to start with the black chocolate stout on Christmas day. Got half way down the first one and thought there was a bit of a kick to it. Couldn't believe it when I looked at the bottle to see it was 10%.

Nice beer though and even better that I've found out my local off licence stocks it.
i had founders dark penance the other night. 2 bottles. VERY hoppy and strong. when finished i noticed it was 9%

had some black perle porter too. that was lovely

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Spent New Years at a cottage in Coniston.. Pint of Bluebird XB every day blows the cobwebs away, probably my favourite draft ale.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA

I remember paying £7 a bottle for that in town about 4 years ago.  Thankfully it's loads cheaper than that online now.

Gorgeous stuff.

I've been enjoying the benefits of having a Brew Dog pub in town.  Some of the stuff I've had in there as a "taster" has been fantastic, so I'm looking forward to getting a full serving next time I'm in.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

Brooklyn Black Chocolate is one of my all time favourite beers. Shame it is only seasonal, that 10% can sneak up on you quick.

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!

Fantastic beer! No more, no less. I love that stuff!

Offline ncred

• ble
  • Anny Roader
I had their "Black Ops" last night (from 2013).  Really hid that 11.5% well.

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3Sm8JM-K1dc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3Sm8JM-K1dc</a>

Fake advert, but made me buy a bottle  ;D
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
Went in The Cross Keys in Chester on Friday. They brew some great Ales in there.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Anybody been to this place?

http://www.sedgleymanor.com/historical/crooked_house.html

On the edge of the Himley Estate lies the The Glynne Arms (more popularly known as the Crooked House or The Siden House). It is a house that has suffered badly from mining subsidence. It lies on what was the divide between Sir Stephen Glynne's land and that of the Earl of Dudley.

Glynne removed too much of the coal that lies underneath with the obvious result. As the result of an optical illusion, without even taking a drink, beer bottles can really be seen to roll up the table!

Some years ago, the pub was shifting and sinking but buttressing prevented further damage but left it tilted some 15 degrees out of true. Doors, floors and windows all sit at odd angles to one another, causing patrons difficulty upon entering the pub and walking to the bar.

The sloping floor creates an eerie illusory sensation, making drinkers feel drunk after only a pint or two.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
The Globe must be it's little sister.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline ncred

• ble
  • Anny Roader
is BrewDog the biggest 'craft' beer company in the UK?  I live in the US and don't know a ton about brands from England, and wanted to know how the 'craft' beer scene was over there.

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
is BrewDog the biggest 'craft' beer company in the UK?  I live in the US and don't know a ton about brands from England, and wanted to know how the 'craft' beer scene was over there.

Id definitely say the most commercial. They've opened their own pubs now.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3Sm8JM-K1dc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3Sm8JM-K1dc</a>

Fake advert, but made me buy a bottle  ;D

Ha ha. That was my goto beer when I lived in Portland - guilty pleasure in the home of craft beers - there's an interseting story behind the survival of PBR.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/22/magazine/the-marketing-of-no-marketing.html

Offline ncred

• ble
  • Anny Roader
Id definitely say the most commercial. They've opened their own pubs now.
thanks.  BrewDog and Sam Smith's are really the only UK 'craft' beers that I see over here.  I'm guessing that will change.

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
Off to Bratislava in 2 weeks so hoping to sample a few of their microbreweries, heard good stuff.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Enjoyed Victory's Golden Monkey last night after the match.

The 9.5 above can sneak up on you!

Offline ncred

• ble
  • Anny Roader
anybody a fan of sours here?  I'm just starting to get into them...

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
anybody a fan of sours here?  I'm just starting to get into them...

I presume your parents are still buying your alcohol / you've just turned 18 ??

;)

Offline ncred

• ble
  • Anny Roader
I presume your parents are still buying your alcohol / you've just turned 18 ??

;)
ha, wish I was that age.  When I first started drinking, I tried a sour or two and really didn't like it.  Of course my tasebuds continued to develop and I gave them another chance recently.  Really liked it.  Doesn't hurt that there are a lot more breweries over here (east coast of US) that brew some really good sours.

What are everyone's favorites?  I don't know much of the Belgian stuff so would love some recommendations.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
id some founders 9% recently

was called dark pennance

way too strong. didnt enjoy it, i didnt look to see what strength it was when i bought it