Author Topic: Struggling with depression  (Read 619318 times)

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
Re: Struggling with depression.
« Reply #280 on: February 26, 2011, 11:12:16 am »
I think I'm suffering from depression. Literally nothing makes me happy, I cannot remember the last time I felt happy. I did well in my exams a few months ago and got a great GPA, and I felt nothing. I don't know what's wrong with me.

Get to your doctor mate. Honestly, it was the best thing I did after suffering in silence for months.

It's 2 years next week since I was diagnosed with depression, I'm still taking the fluoxetine, but I really want to start coming off it now. Not because I feel 100% better, I reckon I'm about 85-90%, but because I want to know if I can cope without it. I'm on the maximum dose, so it might take a while to wean off them.

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #281 on: February 26, 2011, 11:13:49 am »
When I say "get to your doctor", I don't mean that in a panicky way, just that he/she will have seen hundreds of patients with depression, and is the best person to help diagnose if you have it or not.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #282 on: February 26, 2011, 11:14:53 am »
Maybe you just don't have any fun in your life? From my long experience of depression it's not something you 'think' you have - it's disabling when you do have it. Do you get down in the winter, maybe it's weather related? On the other hand maybe you are depressed. Why is it that you think you might be aside from not feeling happy?

I don't think it's weather related, I quite like the rain or sunshine. Things that should make me happy, like going out with my friends or doing well in school, simply don't. I worry about absolutely everything all the time, especially what other people think of me. Absolutely hate it.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Enemy

• Fairly low-maintenance pritsatoixouphobic.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: February 26, 2011, 11:17:21 am »
I don't think it's weather related, I quite like the rain or sunshine. Things that should make me happy, like going out with my friends or doing well in school, simply don't. I worry about absolutely everything all the time, especially what other people think of me. Absolutely hate it.

Sounds like maybe you should have a talk with your GP before things could possibly get worse for you. Low self esteem (worrying what people think etc) is only the start. I wouldn't recommend just stuffing yourself full of pills though, they're way too over prescribed in my opinion. Ask your doctor about all the options available and decide which one will help you the most in the long term. It might not be anti-depressants, it might be anti-anxiety meds, or might be counselling or CBT. Either way it's something to talk about and hopefully you'll feel reassured afterwards. :)
Enemy, at that time, and now, I cant think of anything good to say about her. She's still being a c*nt

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #284 on: February 26, 2011, 11:18:08 am »
Thanks, I will.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Rusty

• loser mate whose french is a little.....Rusty.....n'est-ce pas?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: February 26, 2011, 03:29:08 pm »
Also do you have an occupational health department that he can see/talk to about it? It sounds like you and your work colleagues are trying your best not to make the situation any worse than it already is. When I was being slack as hell and it was a struggle even to get out of bed some bitches in my office would tittle tattle about any 5 minutes I missed of work (despite always doing my job well when there) and it really, really didn't help at all.

To be fair we used to have a running joke when he either didn't turn up, or would be asleep at his desk - though in our defence, that was before most of us knew he had depression/realised how serious it could be. Generally now we're a bit more understanding, but it does get hard to be understanding when he doesnt show up for a whole week, with no word about it, and the rest of us have to pick up his slack.

to be honest I don't know what steps he's taking to get it sorted, he may have talked to the boss/lab manager but I don't know the ins and outs and don't feel comfortable about asking him direct - hence why i was trying to get a bit of a better idea on RAWK.

Cheers for all the responses.

He's made Kaizer wet himself with excitement then cry when he realises all in one post. Ban him? Knight him in the new year's honours!

Offline Sri Sudachan

• Utterly Lubberly but can't believe it's not buddha....
  • Legacy Fan
  • เบื่อๆๆๆๆๆๆๆๆๆ
« Reply #286 on: February 27, 2011, 11:28:50 am »
I worry about absolutely everything all the time, especially what other people think of me. Absolutely hate it.

What you think about yourself is far more important than what people think about you.
2000-2003-2004-2005-2007

Nothing to do with football but
    We won it five times!

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: February 28, 2011, 12:45:06 pm »
Okay I didn't know which thread to add this post to so this thread seems appropriate. I didn't want to start a whole new thread about my BS.

Does anybody have any experience with generalised anxiety? Since about June last year I've been constantly on edge and a bit of a nervous wreck. I constantly catastrophise everything and worry. My thought patterns are completely negative and I feel lik my head will explode because of the circles it's running round in.

Everytime my phone rings I expect to answer it and hear someone is dead. Everytime I drive past a junction I expect a car to come carooning from a side street and smash into the side of me. Everytime I walk anywhere I expect to be stabbed, raped, murdered, beat up. Nothing all that bad has happened to me that I can recall to trigger all this off. I just don't feel able to cope with real life at the moment because of it.

I've been to see the GP and got some BETA blockers to help me calm down, sometimes they work but they're not fantastic. I've waiting for some CBT/Psychology but it's a long time coming and I just feel like I need help NOW and I want to scream out for it all to stop.

Anyway, any thoughts, any ideas what to do in the meantime while I wait for the NHS to help me out? Any replies appreciated. :)
Enemy, at that time, and now, I cant think of anything good to say about her. She's still being a c*nt

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #288 on: February 28, 2011, 12:57:05 pm »

Okay I didn't know which thread to add this post to so this thread seems appropriate. I didn't want to start a whole new thread about my BS.

It's not BS , it's rumination which is a big factor in depression / anxiety / stress .

It's a vicious circle and feeds the depressive cycle .

Don't know if you've ever looked into it , but there's a a therapy called mindfullness which can be used to treat both stress and depression . It deals largely with thought processes and how to deal with / control them. 

There are quite a few books on the subject , one of which is on Amazon and titled ' The Mindful Way Through Depression ' . May or may not be for you , but worth checking out.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 01:02:34 pm by Spongebob Redpants »
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: February 28, 2011, 01:04:07 pm »
It is to do with meditation? I am a somewhat kind of Buddhist but I never make time to meditate and I'm sure that would help. I'm just really fed up of my brain, it would be nice to go on holiday and leave it behind.

Offline Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: February 28, 2011, 01:11:32 pm »
Look up counselling services in your area, you might have to pay but they'll discuss this with you and you'll only be paying what you can afford, or in some cases they're charity organisations that only expect a nominal contribution (lots of places have similar services).

Sounds like talking a little bit about the issue might help you more than the medication option.

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #291 on: February 28, 2011, 01:12:22 pm »
It is to do with meditation? I am a somewhat kind of Buddhist but I never make time to meditate and I'm sure that would help. I'm just really fed up of my brain, it would be nice to go on holiday and leave it behind.

It is indeed . Plenty of people experience ' chatter ' , where the mind is constantly bomarding the mind with thoughts , often irrational .

This is a short article from About.com , which gives a brief outline of the ideology.

About.com - Mindfulness

The entire idea of mindfulness or being mindful; is complete engagement in the present moment. It is a state where you are not thinking, reflecting, judging, or deciding, but are instead simply experiencing the things currently in your available experience. It has roots in Buddhist philosophy and has been gaining widespread attention in the treatment of anxiety disorders including Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). The following is an overview of the principles of mindfulness and suggestions on how you can apply it for yourself starting right now.

Philosophy
In general, we are largely unaware of our present moment, and often operate on “auto-pilot” to some degree. Part of this is adaptive. If we were completely aware of our moment-to-moment experience at all times we would fail to use our past to inform our present, and we would be incapable of making decisions for our future. However, there are times where completely engaging yourself in the present is desirable, helpful, and adaptive. Fortunately, we are capable of achieving this, but it requires practice. Once achieved, mindfulness can provide a richer life experience and can be instrumental in helping one reduce and control anxiety and worry.

Elements of the Mindfulness Attitude
There are 7 elements of the mindfulness attitude that are required for someone to achieve a mindful state:
1. Non-Judging: taking the role of an impartial observer to whatever your current experience is. This means not making a positive or negative evaluation of what is happening, just simply observing it.

2. Patience: cultivating the understanding that things must develop in their own time.

3. Beginner’s Mind: having the willingness to observe the world as if it was your first time doing so. This creates an openness that is essential to being mindful.

4. Trust: having trust in yourself, your intuition, and your abilities.

5. Non-Striving: the state of not doing anything, just simply accepting that things are happing in the moment just as they are supposed to. For people from Western countries like the United States, this tends to be one of the more difficult components.

6. Acceptance: completely accepting the thoughts, feelings, sensations, and beliefs that you have, and understanding that they are simply those things only.

7. Non-Attachment: avoidance of attaching meaning to thoughts and feelings, or connecting a given thought to a feeling. Instead, let a thought or feeling come in and pass without connecting it to anything, observing them exactly as they are.
How To Use This
Since GAD is built primarily on the inability to control anxiety and worry, achieving a state where these are all present can provide tremendous relief and a new perspective on anxiety provoking situations. The best way to practice mindfulness is to find a comfortable position (laying down, sitting comfortably, etc) and relax your breathing. After a brief period of time, start observing everything that is happening inside and outside of you with the peaceful mindfulness attitude.

After 10 minutes see how you feel. Were you able to let anxiety provoking thoughts pass without attaching them to others? Were you able to find a new appreciation for the complexity of the environment you are in? Were there new things that you noticed about yourself? Do you feel more relaxed and at peace? If so then you were able to become mindful, but for most people the first try can be frustrating. Taking at least 10 minutes everyday to practice can have a fantastic payoff and can become an important tool in managing your anxiety and leading a more fulfilling life. Try it for a week and see if there is a difference. For additional information on the historical roots of mindfulness check out this page.
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline Lucas21

• A Better Future
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Half of Everything is Luck
« Reply #292 on: March 18, 2011, 08:43:30 am »
I am starting to struggle. My head is everywhere, just broke up with my girlfriend/best friend of 7 years last night. My blood pressure is at hyper tension levels. I have to go for an ultrasound today at 4pm to inspect a lump on my testicle. Worried sick. We broke up to try better ourselves, I've been unemployed since I tore my ACL last year. Nothing has come around. We were doing a TEFL Course with our destination supposed to be Japan( prayers and thoughts to them all). My close friends have moved away, I don't drink, smoke or do any drugs. Feel like I have no outlet or anyone to talk to. I'm 24 and scared shitless, lonely, depressed and anxious. Just wanted to get this off my chest

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: March 18, 2011, 09:01:01 am »
I am starting to struggle. My head is everywhere, just broke up with my girlfriend/best friend of 7 years last night. My blood pressure is at hyper tension levels. I have to go for an ultrasound today at 4pm to inspect a lump on my testicle. Worried sick. We broke up to try better ourselves, I've been unemployed since I tore my ACL last year. Nothing has come around. We were doing a TEFL Course with our destination supposed to be Japan( prayers and thoughts to them all). My close friends have moved away, I don't drink, smoke or do any drugs. Feel like I have no outlet or anyone to talk to. I'm 24 and scared shitless, lonely, depressed and anxious. Just wanted to get this off my chest

Thoughts are with you man, that's a horrible situation. It doesn't help right now but do know it does get better. When you split up with somebody you feel sick to your stomach, have trouble sleeping and all sorts but it eases over time. It's cheesy as hell but time does heal.

What about your family situation?

Offline Lucas21

• A Better Future
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: March 18, 2011, 09:16:33 am »
Thoughts are with you man, that's a horrible situation. It doesn't help right now but do know it does get better. When you split up with somebody you feel sick to your stomach, have trouble sleeping and all sorts but it eases over time. It's cheesy as hell but time does heal.

What about your family situation?

Family are great, thank God. They loved her too. She's supposed to be bridesmaid at my brothers wedding in a few months. Haven't told anyone because they will be just as gutted.  Her family situation is messed up and one of the main factors. Her mother has a brain tumour and we both helped her so much with rehabilitation, but she has started to turn bitter against her for silly reasons and going back into her shell. Her father however is a self absorbed creep who uses them for money for his gamblinng/smoking/prostitutes.  I detest the man. Treats them like shit. She has another younger brother who is a dote but so innocent to it all. Bawled his eyes out yesterday, hardy chap going on 17.

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: March 18, 2011, 09:23:49 am »
Family are great, thank God. They loved her too. She's supposed to be bridesmaid at my brothers wedding in a few months. Haven't told anyone because they will be just as gutted.  Her family situation is messed up and one of the main factors. Her mother has a brain tumour and we both helped her so much with rehabilitation, but she has started to turn bitter against her for silly reasons and going back into her shell. Her father however is a self absorbed creep who uses them for money for his gamblinng/smoking/prostitutes.  I detest the man. Treats them like shit. She has another younger brother who is a dote but so innocent to it all. Bawled his eyes out yesterday, hardy chap going on 17.

:( Hugs man. When you're ready you should go and see your parents and let them know, they'll be very supportive and whenever you're feeling really lonely and upset because of it they'll be there to help you through it. The best thing you can do right now is not hide yourself away and be on your own a lot, being around people who care, even if it's just sat round with a movie on, is a good way to get through the initial stages.

Offline Lucas21

• A Better Future
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: March 18, 2011, 09:32:11 am »
:( Hugs man. When you're ready you should go and see your parents and let them know, they'll be very supportive and whenever you're feeling really lonely and upset because of it they'll be there to help you through it. The best thing you can do right now is not hide yourself away and be on your own a lot, being around people who care, even if it's just sat round with a movie on, is a good way to get through the initial stages.

Afraid I bottle up everything. Over time perhaps. Bloody ultra-sound is enough to worry about for the day. Thank you so much for replying. Means alot

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: March 18, 2011, 09:34:45 am »
Afraid I bottle up everything. Over time perhaps. Bloody ultra-sound is enough to worry about for the day. Thank you so much for replying. Means alot

Ah I bottle things up too, I don't actually verbalise things much at all but like I say just being in the company of people is a great help even if you don't talk about anything in particular. You just have to get on with normal life.

Best of luck for the ultrasound, I'm sure it'll be alright but keep us informed.

No problem, drop me a PM if you ever wanna vent. It's much easier saying this stuff online than it is face to face.  :)

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #298 on: March 18, 2011, 09:45:21 am »
bloody hell mate, feel for you. I hope the scan gives good results. Thinking of you as ive been there. Best of luck.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #299 on: March 18, 2011, 11:32:33 am »
I feel for you lucas. I remember breaking up with a gf after 3 years - tore me to bits. At that time I used running as a vent - that really helped me. I guess it could be any form of excercise really - you just need to get the blood pumping - and not in the way it does now because of the ultra-sound. By excercising your brain releases endorphines - also known as the "feel-good-hormone". That'll make you a bit happier. However as Enemy says life does go on no matter how shitty things look right now. If you cannot talk to people about it face-to-face feel free to PM me as well to get it of your chest. Often it's a lot easier to talk to someone completely outside your normal daily life about these things.

The ultra-sound - I discovered a lump on my right testicle years back and had it examnined. Noting wrong and nothing to worry about. In fact I was told that lumps often form on testicles for some weird reason (could it be we don't get enough? :) ) so hopefully yours is a case of this. However I truely understand your worries.

Like Enemy and SHF I hope the best for you mate. :wave

Offline Lucas21

• A Better Future
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: March 18, 2011, 12:57:15 pm »
You three people have reduced me to tears with yere words of kindness and I wish to thank all three of you whole heartedly. Life goes on, just feel so messed right now. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to some ramblings. Love :)

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #301 on: March 18, 2011, 01:01:44 pm »
You three people have reduced me to tears with yere words of kindness and I wish to thank all three of you whole heartedly. Life goes on, just feel so messed right now. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to some ramblings. Love :)
Like Bennekov said the lump in your nuts could well be a cyst or simply like a varicose vein which is what they said my lump was. You will be so worried about getting a boner in front of the nurse that you not notice the stress - hard luck though if you get a male nurse.....
If your girl was 'the one' you will find each other again and if she wasn't then you are yet to find her and have that to look forward to. It isn't easy coming out of a long term relationship but things do get easier with time....
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: March 18, 2011, 01:14:10 pm »

Awww bless ya. Internet hug x

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #303 on: March 18, 2011, 01:17:56 pm »
Awww bless ya. Internet hug x
(((((lucas21))))) <--- there ya go, that's how it's done megalolz innit etc :wave

Lucas mate - hope all is well re the check up. Re the break up, it's good to vent. You'll always find comfort in here. The important thing is never to give up hope that things will improve - the invariably do unless you believe they won't - it's called "raising your intention" and can be a powerful tool psychologically.

You'll always have friends in here, you'll never walk alone. Cheesy but true!

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #304 on: March 18, 2011, 01:45:15 pm »

That is what RAWK and Liverpool FC is all about. You'll never walk alone! :scarf

(((((lucas21))))) <--- there ya go, that's how it's done megalolz innit etc :wave

Lucas mate - hope all is well re the check up. Re the break up, it's good to vent. You'll always find comfort in here. The important thing is never to give up hope that things will improve - the invariably do unless you believe they won't - it's called "raising your intention" and can be a powerful tool psychologically.

You'll always have friends in here, you'll never walk alone. Cheesy but true!

Well said 24/7! The intention part is something I've been working on myself and this gentleman has opened my eyes on more than one occasion. I went to a seminar in London 2½ years ago where he was one of the speakers. SO inspiring to listen to him...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9002882253039527684#

His name is Dr. Wayne Dyer.

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: March 18, 2011, 03:50:50 pm »
I wasn't exactly planning on posting but feel that I need to vent a bit.

I'm 18, recently left college and I'm now unemployed (undecided on my future) and living alone. I've had bad acne (puffy face) for over a year now, which has led to severe depression and social anxiety, although I don't want to talk about that right now.
I don't get along with any of my family members really, my mother is with a low-life druggie (may be harsh but this is how I see it) and has 4 children with him and she lacks the willpower/mental capacity to even consider leaving him. I also feel alienated where I live now (my hometown) because I have been bullied in the past and even if I change I believe people will still remember the 'old me'.
I've started smoking cannabis on a daily basis to help me sleep (sleep also helps my acne), which I know I need to cut down on and eventually stop soon. I do no excercise and have about 3/4 friends, even though I know a lot of people.

I'm just at a point in my life where I wake up in the morning and either think 'look, I need to change something and try to be happy' or 'My life is shit, I look like shit, people don't like me, I don't like myself, I'm never going to be happy'. It's a vicious circle, some days I'm optimistic (usually the days when my acne isn't bad) and other days I don't even want to go outside.
I've started to take an interest in music, and was looking for opportunities to dj locally. I'm also hoping to learn to produce but lack the motivation to even try most days.
I'm my own worst enemy and my main problem is that I hate myself, I really do. I've got this acne problem and I'm very underweight. I can't motivate myself to do anything anymore and it's hard when your family is also against you. I generally feel much better about myself on the days where my face isn't as puffy as usual but then I find other flaws in my appearance and end up feeling just as shit, I'm vain, I'm shallow and I want to change.

Have any of you been in the same position as me? At the moment the only thing I'm even somewhat looking forward to is going to university but this won't be until September '12, I should find a job but like I said I don't even want to go outside most days and when I do, my emotions come across in my body language and speech and I end up feeling worse about myself.

Moan moan moan. Thanks for reading...

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: March 18, 2011, 03:52:24 pm »
I wasn't exactly planning on posting but feel that I need to vent a bit.

I'm 18, recently left college and I'm now unemployed (undecided on my future) and living alone. I've had bad acne (puffy face) for over a year now, which has led to severe depression and social anxiety, although I don't want to talk about that right now.
I don't get along with any of my family members really, my mother is with a low-life druggie (may be harsh but this is how I see it) and has 4 children with him and she lacks the willpower/mental capacity to even consider leaving him. I also feel alienated where I live now (my hometown) because I have been bullied in the past and even if I change I believe people will still remember the 'old me'.
I've started smoking cannabis on a daily basis to help me sleep (sleep also helps my acne), which I know I need to cut down on and eventually stop soon. I do no excercise and have about 3/4 friends, even though I know a lot of people.

I'm just at a point in my life where I wake up in the morning and either think 'look, I need to change something and try to be happy' or 'My life is shit, I look like shit, people don't like me, I don't like myself, I'm never going to be happy'. It's a vicious circle, some days I'm optimistic (usually the days when my acne isn't bad) and other days I don't even want to go outside.
I've started to take an interest in music, and was looking for opportunities to dj locally. I'm also hoping to learn to produce but lack the motivation to even try most days.
I'm my own worst enemy and my main problem is that I hate myself, I really do. I've got this acne problem and I'm very underweight. I can't motivate myself to do anything anymore and it's hard when your family is also against you. I generally feel much better about myself on the days where my face isn't as puffy as usual but then I find other flaws in my appearance and end up feeling just as shit, I'm vain, I'm shallow and I want to change.

Have any of you been in the same position as me? At the moment the only thing I'm even somewhat looking forward to is going to university but this won't be until September '12, I should find a job but like I said I don't even want to go outside most days and when I do, my emotions come across in my body language and speech and I end up feeling worse about myself.

Moan moan moan. Thanks for reading...

Have you looked into any music production courses?

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: March 18, 2011, 03:55:01 pm »
Have you looked into any music production courses?

Yes, but going to University to study music production isn't going to change anything. If I can't motivate myself to learn when I'm sitting in my room 24/7 unemployed, how am I going to manage it in University with lectures and (hopefully) a social life?

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: March 18, 2011, 03:59:05 pm »
Yes, but going to University to study music production isn't going to change anything. If I can't motivate myself to learn when I'm sitting in my room 24/7 unemployed, how am I going to manage it in University with lectures and (hopefully) a social life?

Well that's not the right attitude for starters young man!   :P

For example in Nottingham (my city) we have Confetti which is one of the best music uni/colleges in the country (or I'm led to believe so). The lectures are only like one or two days a week, the rest is doing awesome stuff in studios and hanging out being sociable with people on your couurse. If you think you can't motivate yourself then you can't. Maybe you should start by accomplishing little tasks each day, when you're down in the dumps and demotivated even getting small things done can make you very proud and happy.

What I always do when I'm being a complete lazy ass is write a small list of things I should have done before bed that day i.e. put one lot of laundry on, clean two rooms, look up some quick but healthy meals and go out and stock up on the ingredients. Little steps towards getting your life on track and back to normal basically.

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #309 on: March 18, 2011, 04:15:25 pm »
Bear with me, regarding this - this has been a problem for me for years, let me explain.

I have been rather coy to people in the past when they ask about certain subjects – sexuality, personal relationships – or in my case, the lack of one – and people have always asked why I have been so quiet in regards of this.  I came out as bisexual some months ago – much to the relief of myself, and to a lack of surprise to friends and family.

However, there is a dark secret which until now, I have been very reluctant to speak publically about because of the stigma and the shame that I have that I have allowed it to eat inside me for so long – so long after it happened, and yet it still has such a massive influence on my life and the way that I treat and perceive people on a day to day basis.

Recently, it has cost me the friendship of one of the most wonderful, trusting and reliable people I have ever had the privilege to be part of their life – purely because of the anxiety and worry that I had in my head that they were going to take me for a ride, like so many people have done in the past.  It is this, as well as many other examples where I have snapped at other friends in similar circumstances.  Such nonsense has to stop – however as a result of this, I feel that my truth has to come out – so people can try and understand why it is I am the way I am.

Not their fault, if anyone’s fault – it’s mine for not fully recovering psychologically from the mental scars that it has given me. Although I have written to friends about this in the past, it is the first time that I have ever really spoken about what exactly happened to me in such graphic detail.  I have been told that I have to stop playing the victim, this is the first step in doing that, so whoever it was who said that, thanks.

Unfortunately for me, I was abused from the age of 10 to the age of 13, by one of my father’s best friends.  The abuse involved was sexual in nature and did involve intercourse on a regular basis for those three years. I remember the first time, up above the Port of Dover near the Langdon Cliffs – the way that he hoisted me through the sunroof – gave me his binoculars to look at the ships in the dark, whilst he sucked me off.  There was many examples, I remember him driving over to our house unannounced with his then wife, picked myself and my sister up – we went to Dreamland, and then whilst my sister and her wife went off, we went on the Shooting Star, which was back then a loop-the-loop ride (very rare back then), the Dodgems and the like, and then we went into a cubicle, he bent me over and fucked me up the bum for the best part of what seemed like hours but was probably no longer than 20 minutes.

Most degrading of all, at my mum and Dad’s 20th anniversary party back in 1995, when I was in the living room of my own house during the summer holidays away from boarding school, he closed the living room door, sat next to me, and groped me and jerked me off.  In my own home.  And people ask why I am so desperate to leave home. You have that reason now.

The worse part of it all, for me was that at first my parents didn’t believe me – though they did stop him from seeing myself or my sister, which made me think that they knew something was awry – or that perhaps he had previous. At least they stopped him from doing anything else.

The only reason why it went to court, is that I was confided by a friend at school a few years later that he himself was raped by a fellow pupil in the showers – I saw that perpetrator get punished (of sorts) – as well as ridicule from everyone else – one Monday night, I was in the shower room, in tears – when my housemaster saw me and asked what was wrong.  That was when I told him everything.  Over the next few weeks in the build-up to Christmas 1996, I went to the Police in Newport on the Isle of Wight (I was at school, in nearby Ventnor) and they put me into a room, with cameras which I couldn’t see – but they could.  My headmaster accompanied me to the centre to the North of the town, and we spent the best part of four hours there.  Torture doesn’t even describe it.

Anyway, later that day – because they needed to get some form of evidence to show some form of intercourse – the police got an doctor to examine me and to this day – I can remember the jelly impinging into my anus and the doctor opening it up and looking at it with a light – all he could say was that there was some irregularities regarding my anus.

So something had happened, someone would pay surely?

Hmmm. Nope.

The bastard originally got a lawyer who basically thought that the case was open and shut – the bastard was charged on a count of rape and a count of buggery – the court case was suppose to start on the Tuesday – I was suppose to be going and testifying to the court that Tuesday, but because of the fucking around by the defense team, I didn’t testify till the Wednesday – I was a bag of nerves and cracked up constantly during cross-examination by his lawyer – he well and truly got me properly.

He got let off by the jury on the Friday after 40 minutes of deliberations. 40 fucking minutes.

And that was suppose to have been it.

The following Sunday, Princess Diana died in that car crash in Paris – and I will always remember Dad’s first comments on reaction of the news.

“that puts everything we’ve been through into context, doesn’t it,”  Lovely thought that, Dad.  Thanks for cheering me. Wanker.

Within 18 months, Dad had moved out, apparently for financial reasons, but I know the real reasons why, he couldn’t look at me and say that he was there for me, when I needed him the most – he shafted me over royally, when I needed him the fucking most.  The one time, in my life I needed my fucking father there and HE WAS NOT THERE FOR ME.  The Wednesday that I gave my evidence, we got a lift home from the Detective Constable who was leading the case on behalf of the police.  Dad didn’t come home with us, nope.  He went straight to the Rugby Club for Bridge (a retro form of card game, for sadistic headfucks, just like my father).  Nice to get your priorities in order. c*nt.

Now, I haven’t just written the above because I needed to get rid of some steam inside me, but because something good has to come out of my pain.  I need to try and be a force for good – if this blog does any good, if it gets people talking, if it gets people to try and be educated a bit more then all the good, let me throw this thought into the mix. 

Rape victims may experience many emotions such as denial, grief, anger, depression, fear, loneliness and guilt.  I go through most of those feelings on almost a daily basis, it is like a vicious circle of hell.  20% of rape victims become suicidal.  I became suicidal in the build-up to the court case – and on and off for the following five or six years after the court case – two instances I attempted to take my own life, once by hanging myself, from my bedroom door, and secondly and probably the closest – when I was down East Cliff and was near the edge of the cliff, when my sister caught me.  I haven’t been anywhere near that point since then – however, whenever I have had a row with my family regarding my depression and anxiety or with a friend because I think that they are screwing me over, when in fact they are not – that is when I head into shutdown – and it is quite literally a shutdown of the brain, almost auto-pilot.  I always avoid situations when I could bump into the person, not because I don’t want to see them (as much as they don’t want to hear from me) but just in pure shame that I have treated them so badly – so everything is planned ahead so I don’t need to risk seeing anyone.

Yep, even now after all these years – that bastard still has an effect on me.  The effects of child sexual abuse include depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, propensity to further victimization in adulthood, and physical injury to the child, among other problems.  I was bullied a lot during my childhood due to my speech and language problems, which was why I went to boarding school for so long – and still to this day the bullying from some people near where I live continues to happen.

Although I have never been diagnosed with PTSD, I have constantly suffered from the symptoms of PTSD ever since the court case – the constant flashbacks and nightmares, the frustration of years wasted of my life and the anger directed at my family and friends which in itself angers me and makes me angry at myself for getting myself into the position that I am in.

I am going to a specialist counsellor down in New Romney on Tuesday who deals with such people who have dealt with such abuse – that should interesting.  Hopefully, I’ll get something out of it.
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #310 on: March 18, 2011, 04:34:57 pm »
Bear with me, regarding this - this has been a problem for me for years, let me explain.

I have been rather coy to people in the past when they ask about certain subjects – sexuality, personal relationships – or in my case, the lack of one – and people have always asked why I have been so quiet in regards of this.  I came out as bisexual some months ago – much to the relief of myself, and to a lack of surprise to friends and family.

However, there is a dark secret which until now, I have been very reluctant to speak publically about because of the stigma and the shame that I have that I have allowed it to eat inside me for so long – so long after it happened, and yet it still has such a massive influence on my life and the way that I treat and perceive people on a day to day basis.

Recently, it has cost me the friendship of one of the most wonderful, trusting and reliable people I have ever had the privilege to be part of their life – purely because of the anxiety and worry that I had in my head that they were going to take me for a ride, like so many people have done in the past.  It is this, as well as many other examples where I have snapped at other friends in similar circumstances.  Such nonsense has to stop – however as a result of this, I feel that my truth has to come out – so people can try and understand why it is I am the way I am.

Not their fault, if anyone’s fault – it’s mine for not fully recovering psychologically from the mental scars that it has given me. Although I have written to friends about this in the past, it is the first time that I have ever really spoken about what exactly happened to me in such graphic detail.  I have been told that I have to stop playing the victim, this is the first step in doing that, so whoever it was who said that, thanks.

Unfortunately for me, I was abused from the age of 10 to the age of 13, by one of my father’s best friends.  The abuse involved was sexual in nature and did involve intercourse on a regular basis for those three years. I remember the first time, up above the Port of Dover near the Langdon Cliffs – the way that he hoisted me through the sunroof – gave me his binoculars to look at the ships in the dark, whilst he sucked me off.  There was many examples, I remember him driving over to our house unannounced with his then wife, picked myself and my sister up – we went to Dreamland, and then whilst my sister and her wife went off, we went on the Shooting Star, which was back then a loop-the-loop ride (very rare back then), the Dodgems and the like, and then we went into a cubicle, he bent me over and fucked me up the bum for the best part of what seemed like hours but was probably no longer than 20 minutes.

Most degrading of all, at my mum and Dad’s 20th anniversary party back in 1995, when I was in the living room of my own house during the summer holidays away from boarding school, he closed the living room door, sat next to me, and groped me and jerked me off.  In my own home.  And people ask why I am so desperate to leave home. You have that reason now.

The worse part of it all, for me was that at first my parents didn’t believe me – though they did stop him from seeing myself or my sister, which made me think that they knew something was awry – or that perhaps he had previous. At least they stopped him from doing anything else.

The only reason why it went to court, is that I was confided by a friend at school a few years later that he himself was raped by a fellow pupil in the showers – I saw that perpetrator get punished (of sorts) – as well as ridicule from everyone else – one Monday night, I was in the shower room, in tears – when my housemaster saw me and asked what was wrong.  That was when I told him everything.  Over the next few weeks in the build-up to Christmas 1996, I went to the Police in Newport on the Isle of Wight (I was at school, in nearby Ventnor) and they put me into a room, with cameras which I couldn’t see – but they could.  My headmaster accompanied me to the centre to the North of the town, and we spent the best part of four hours there.  Torture doesn’t even describe it.

Anyway, later that day – because they needed to get some form of evidence to show some form of intercourse – the police got an doctor to examine me and to this day – I can remember the jelly impinging into my anus and the doctor opening it up and looking at it with a light – all he could say was that there was some irregularities regarding my anus.

So something had happened, someone would pay surely?

Hmmm. Nope.

The bastard originally got a lawyer who basically thought that the case was open and shut – the bastard was charged on a count of rape and a count of buggery – the court case was suppose to start on the Tuesday – I was suppose to be going and testifying to the court that Tuesday, but because of the fucking around by the defense team, I didn’t testify till the Wednesday – I was a bag of nerves and cracked up constantly during cross-examination by his lawyer – he well and truly got me properly.

He got let off by the jury on the Friday after 40 minutes of deliberations. 40 fucking minutes.

And that was suppose to have been it.

The following Sunday, Princess Diana died in that car crash in Paris – and I will always remember Dad’s first comments on reaction of the news.

“that puts everything we’ve been through into context, doesn’t it,”  Lovely thought that, Dad.  Thanks for cheering me. Wanker.

Within 18 months, Dad had moved out, apparently for financial reasons, but I know the real reasons why, he couldn’t look at me and say that he was there for me, when I needed him the most – he shafted me over royally, when I needed him the fucking most.  The one time, in my life I needed my fucking father there and HE WAS NOT THERE FOR ME.  The Wednesday that I gave my evidence, we got a lift home from the Detective Constable who was leading the case on behalf of the police.  Dad didn’t come home with us, nope.  He went straight to the Rugby Club for Bridge (a retro form of card game, for sadistic headfucks, just like my father).  Nice to get your priorities in order. c*nt.

Now, I haven’t just written the above because I needed to get rid of some steam inside me, but because something good has to come out of my pain.  I need to try and be a force for good – if this blog does any good, if it gets people talking, if it gets people to try and be educated a bit more then all the good, let me throw this thought into the mix. 

Rape victims may experience many emotions such as denial, grief, anger, depression, fear, loneliness and guilt.  I go through most of those feelings on almost a daily basis, it is like a vicious circle of hell.  20% of rape victims become suicidal.  I became suicidal in the build-up to the court case – and on and off for the following five or six years after the court case – two instances I attempted to take my own life, once by hanging myself, from my bedroom door, and secondly and probably the closest – when I was down East Cliff and was near the edge of the cliff, when my sister caught me.  I haven’t been anywhere near that point since then – however, whenever I have had a row with my family regarding my depression and anxiety or with a friend because I think that they are screwing me over, when in fact they are not – that is when I head into shutdown – and it is quite literally a shutdown of the brain, almost auto-pilot.  I always avoid situations when I could bump into the person, not because I don’t want to see them (as much as they don’t want to hear from me) but just in pure shame that I have treated them so badly – so everything is planned ahead so I don’t need to risk seeing anyone.

Yep, even now after all these years – that bastard still has an effect on me.  The effects of child sexual abuse include depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, propensity to further victimization in adulthood, and physical injury to the child, among other problems.  I was bullied a lot during my childhood due to my speech and language problems, which was why I went to boarding school for so long – and still to this day the bullying from some people near where I live continues to happen.

Although I have never been diagnosed with PTSD, I have constantly suffered from the symptoms of PTSD ever since the court case – the constant flashbacks and nightmares, the frustration of years wasted of my life and the anger directed at my family and friends which in itself angers me and makes me angry at myself for getting myself into the position that I am in.

I am going to a specialist counsellor down in New Romney on Tuesday who deals with such people who have dealt with such abuse – that should interesting.  Hopefully, I’ll get something out of it.
Bob, that is truly awful and harrowing. I can't even imagine the pain/anguish/guilt etc you must have felt. I hope you find peace....
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #311 on: March 18, 2011, 04:40:03 pm »

:sad

Sorry to hear all that mate. I can't even begin to fathom what you went through , and will not try. But good to hear you are sorting it out and trying to move on with it. 

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #312 on: March 18, 2011, 05:29:54 pm »
The thing that hurts is that it is those who are the closest who are affected by me, and some of them say to me, stop playing the victim, stop this, stop that - it's not that simple at all.

DON'T BUY THE S*N

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: March 18, 2011, 05:30:40 pm »
The thing that hurts is that it is those who are the closest who are affected by me, and some of them say to me, stop playing the victim, stop this, stop that - it's not that simple at all.

Do they know the back ground story of why you act that way?

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #314 on: March 18, 2011, 05:35:51 pm »
Do they know the back ground story of why you act that way?

They know quite a bit about it - I haven't put it in that blunt terms purely because to me, there is no excuse for how I do sometimes treat my friends and family - the anxiety is the worse, by a country mile, because you cannot control it - and you don't have control of it until you snap - normally at the family or a friend - they have tried to be so supportive but they seem to have given up on me.

DON'T BUY THE S*N

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: March 18, 2011, 05:38:33 pm »
They know quite a bit about it - I haven't put it in that blunt terms purely because to me, there is no excuse for how I do sometimes treat my friends and family - the anxiety is the worse, by a country mile, because you cannot control it - and you don't have control of it until you snap - normally at the family or a friend - they have tried to be so supportive but they seem to have given up on me.

Maybe it's best to explain to some of them what actually went on. It takes a long time to deal with what you have been through. Even many years later, like you have said you are still suffering. Any real friend will understand that.

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #316 on: March 18, 2011, 05:46:12 pm »
Maybe it's best to explain to some of them what actually went on. It takes a long time to deal with what you have been through. Even many years later, like you have said you are still suffering. Any real friend will understand that.

There is a part of me which thinks that they have probably heard enough heartache from me to last them a lifetime, they've already heard a lot - which is probably barely scratching the surface of what happened, that above was from my blog, which was the first time I've ever written about it - I find writing about my experiences to be somewhat soothing up to a point - but my mother has said to me recently that she wonders whenever I go out whether or not I'm going to come home.

DON'T BUY THE S*N

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: March 18, 2011, 05:49:55 pm »
There is a part of me which thinks that they have probably heard enough heartache from me to last them a lifetime, they've already heard a lot - which is probably barely scratching the surface of what happened, that above was from my blog, which was the first time I've ever written about it - I find writing about my experiences to be somewhat soothing up to a point - but my mother has said to me recently that she wonders whenever I go out whether or not I'm going to come home.

Writing is always cathartic. Getting stuff out always starts a healing process, maybe not evident now but will be in the long run.

Personally mate I think this part

is by far the most important part of your piece above. Says to me that you understand there are some problems that you are ready to deal with , and are actively seeking help with them. It's a positive start.

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #318 on: March 18, 2011, 06:00:43 pm »
Writing is always cathartic. Getting stuff out always starts a healing process, maybe not evident now but will be in the long run.

Personally mate I think this part

is by far the most important part of your piece above. Says to me that you understand there are some problems that you are ready to deal with , and are actively seeking help with them. It's a positive start.

It's been hard - and it's sad that it's had to take a massive row with my best friend to get me to this point - and that in itself makes me depressed. Can't win!

DON'T BUY THE S*N

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: March 18, 2011, 06:02:10 pm »

Perhaps it would help them to read up on the subject and the psychology behind it if they haven't already and they they can understand your mentally which may seem alien to them.

It's quite common to blame yourself and wonder 'why me' but the truth is this happens to a huge amount of both young men and women and you're not alone in your feelings at all. I work in the NHS and am constantly surprised at the percentage of people who have been sexually abused in childhood, it's sickening to think about.

You seem to be very angry at your dad and that's understandable. What you do need to think about is that your dad is your dad, he loves you no matter what and his avoidance of the situation was probably the only thing he knew how to do when confronted with what happened. I'm sure he feels an immense amount of guilt and feels to blame - it was his friend after all that did this to you.

You're very brave to write about this and talk about it online and in person, it takes a very big person to share something so personal and accepting what has happened and how you feel is a great first step to moving on with your life. The scars may always be there but your determination to make something good of your life is extremely positive. I've known people who have suffered similar things to yourself and some have turned to heroin, some have become criminals and some have managed to live a normal and fulfilling life. This doesn't have to define you as a person.

<3