Author Topic: Watches  (Read 253131 times)

Offline Nicoliverpool

• French Pie Eating Champion 2007
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We shall not be moved
Re: Watches
« Reply #240 on: July 4, 2010, 06:54:06 pm »
Got that the other week, love it:

Yanks out

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #241 on: July 4, 2010, 07:34:07 pm »
I realise they are not to everyones taste, but...

Got a small plain gold case Cartier tank about 25 years ago, perfect for suited up occasions, iconic, discrete and classy and women do notice them in my experience. I noticed Hansen started wearing one a few years ago but don't know if I should take that as a good or a bad sign.

But I really like old mechanical watches,  and am fortunate to have a small collection of mostly 30's-40's classics.

For very special occasions, I have an obscure 30's American understated deco style tank in rolled gold case that my Dad bought for his Dad while in New York back in 43 when he was waiting for a 'Grey Ghost' to bring him and around 14000 others back to the UK after his training in Canada. Cheapish movement but still ticks like a dream.

For daily wear I tend to use a 1942/3 Orator chrono with 18ct Rose Gold case and a 17j Landeron movement, though I have a slightly smaller almost identical one but with a Venus movement. Both pretty discrete and unflashy but comfortably oozing real classic quality and good taste unlike so much of the new stuff, and they retain their price really very well, especially now that wealthier Chinese are starting to get interested in classic watches.

I'm after one of these at some time...but they are rare and few were made back in the 40's.

But for out and about and when it might get rough, I either use a Seiko military chrono, very plain but as good as it gets and pretty indestructable (this particular one I have even went through Telic) or an astonishingly cheap Tchibo TCM branded one, stainless with a black face, which for £24 brand new is just outstanding and quite possibly one of the all time bargains. Surprisingly, one of the better electronic movements in it as well so must have been a loss leader as it was only on sale for a couple of months about 7 years ago round about the time when they first started up here in the UK.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #242 on: July 4, 2010, 08:29:48 pm »
That Cartier watch is stunning...how much would one of those be? I'm guessing I would only be able to get a used one...any idea of price range?

Been saving up for a watch-for-life for nearly 12 months now.
JFT97

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: July 4, 2010, 10:00:20 pm »
She's (still) a beauty...
« Last Edit: July 4, 2010, 10:03:32 pm by Mal »
@ManifoldReasons

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #244 on: July 4, 2010, 10:11:33 pm »

You should be able to  get a very good condition one secondhand for around £550 upwards depending upon condition and providence, ie with genuine invoice and certificate etc, though also dependent on the particular face and model type and movement. I'd budget perhaps 8-900 for an excellent example. Not a bad price considering and you'd have no problem getting it back if you have to sell it, but some do go for a lot more. The problem these days is the fake ones can be very good if you don't know what you are looking at, so you do have to beware, especially some of the ones on ebay that start bidding at say £1, though the winder is often obviously wrong as the blue glint gem on the genuine one is pretty hard to fake.. There are fake certificates and boxes on ebay these days to put your fake in. Also look out for the straps as a genuine Cartier strap is around £130(!) which should put things in perspective.
I'd always try a good reputable watch shop first, they have the most to lose from selling counterfeit ones, and make sure you absolutely insist on evidence of providence before parting with your cash.

Offline Robert_B

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: July 4, 2010, 10:31:58 pm »
She's (still) a beauty...

I love it. Absolutely classic.

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: July 4, 2010, 11:25:44 pm »
Just bought one of these.

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: July 5, 2010, 01:08:14 am »
We have a winner. Gulley's Cartier is absolutely gorgeous. GinKop, check this one out - http://www.watches.co.uk/watch.php?wid=0857P
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #248 on: July 5, 2010, 11:21:27 am »

I love Fossil watches, this one being similar to the one I own now but mine has a square face.

nice that one!

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #249 on: July 5, 2010, 11:28:35 am »
some nice vintage watches on here

http://www.bogoff.com/wrist/wrist.html

Offline Andy G

• has just had sex. Possibly with Martin Tyler
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • They shot the wrong bloody Kennedy
« Reply #250 on: July 5, 2010, 11:49:20 am »
This is my favourite watch I have ever seen, and I love it:

Emancipate your selves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline Lee-Block105

• Still refuses to sleep with the moderators to get a custom title
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 14
« Reply #251 on: July 5, 2010, 09:25:12 pm »
If your looking for a replica drop me PM with the name serial number, will be able to supply a lot cheaper then the sites posted on here.
Ticket Exchange Trade Count 300+

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: July 5, 2010, 09:33:23 pm »

Got it a few years back cant remember exactly what it cost, but was a few hundred.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: July 5, 2010, 09:38:41 pm »

nice. have to find somewhere that sells more breill watches

Offline steviek

• Kemlynite
« Reply #254 on: July 5, 2010, 09:45:53 pm »
got myself a mondaine for xmas last year.

Its a beauty....classic piece.

http://www.watchshop.com/mens-mondaine-big-size-watch-a6273030311sbb-p99931470.html

The new swatch colour codes are pretty fly, and a snip at £30

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: August 1, 2010, 11:22:30 am »

gettin this for me 18th  ;D can't wait.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline chrisG

• Anny Roader
« Reply #256 on: August 3, 2010, 08:21:16 pm »
Boss watch that stevensr123

Still loving my Skagen. But one day I will get that Rado I want

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #257 on: August 3, 2010, 10:44:52 pm »
Sold my whole collection earlier this year and bought myself these two mofos.

How much did each of them set you back?
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #258 on: August 3, 2010, 10:46:24 pm »
If your looking for a replica drop me PM with the name serial number, will be able to supply a lot cheaper then the sites posted on here.

Dont see the point in fake watches - They cost quite a bit for counterfeit good
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline sisterbliss

• Legacy Fan
  • Out now The Goodison Persecution Complex
« Reply #259 on: August 3, 2010, 11:25:55 pm »
nice. have to find somewhere that sells more breill watches

These are a good authorised Breil dealer and have bought a couple of Breil's from there plus the added bonus they have a sale on.

http://www.firstclasswatches.co.uk/breil-c-22.html?page=4
Try to sit on the fence and you're quickly exposed as a fraud, hiding your true feelings but fooling no one.

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #260 on: November 15, 2010, 11:27:49 pm »
Came into a bit of money and want to treat myself. £500 max is my budget. At the mo really liking this Gc one for £475

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: November 16, 2010, 12:40:37 am »
Came into a bit of money and want to treat myself. £500 max is my budget. At the mo really liking this Gc one for £475

Is it automatic/clockwork? To my mind, if you're spending more than a couple of hundred for a watch that basically just tells the time (no altimeter etc.), you should get a "real" watch, i.e. non-quartz from an actual watch manufacturer, not a fashion designer.

I have an Omega Constellation that my dad bought me for my graduation, but there's not a day goes by that I don't wish he'd splashed for the automatic over the quartz. It's a beautiful watch and all, but I can't help thinking it's just a Swatch movement in a posh case :(
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: November 16, 2010, 05:35:02 am »
I love my tag, it's almost never off me wrist and when i actually don't have it on, my wrist just feels too bare without it. I know people think it's stupid to spend so much money on a watch, but it will probably last longer than me in life ( If i look after it properly) and  it will always remind me of me dad l. so it's worth the amount of money IMO.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #263 on: November 16, 2010, 11:31:50 am »
Is it automatic/clockwork? To my mind, if you're spending more than a couple of hundred for a watch that basically just tells the time (no altimeter etc.), you should get a "real" watch, i.e. non-quartz from an actual watch manufacturer, not a fashion designer.

I have an Omega Constellation that my dad bought me for my graduation, but there's not a day goes by that I don't wish he'd splashed for the automatic over the quartz. It's a beautiful watch and all, but I can't help thinking it's just a Swatch movement in a posh case :(

Stupidly assumed it was automatic - it's not. :( The ones i like that are automatic are way above my price range

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #264 on: November 16, 2010, 07:28:19 pm »
So i have a couple of watches, and im going to add to my collection. Not too expensive just a nice every dayer for work and after.

Got it down to these 2, though i think i prefer the Tissot (i already have a Tissot T-Touch) So whats Rawk's opinion?

THIS

OR THIS

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: November 16, 2010, 08:16:25 pm »
The Tissot is nicer.

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #266 on: November 16, 2010, 08:36:42 pm »
Tissot for me too

I really wanted a new watch but now am stuck for what to get. Only things within my price range i dont like the look of. And the ones i like are break the bank jobs (for me)

Anyone have any ideas for an automatic for 500 - round face with additional chronograph.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 08:38:40 pm by buzzing »

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: November 16, 2010, 09:28:18 pm »
Ta lads. I decided about an hour ago to defo go for the Tissot. Its £80 cheaper online than it is in Goldsmiths too. Bonus.

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #268 on: November 16, 2010, 09:56:10 pm »
How much is that one? Got a link?

Edit: Ignore - That one is also quartz
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 10:17:30 pm by buzzing »

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #269 on: November 16, 2010, 10:11:44 pm »
I won a bit of money in Vegas so bought this one from the Hugo Boss store in Caesers Palace.  I have an Omega for 'best' so this is just for knocking around in....

In for a week, Out for a month....Duncan is a Tampon!

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: November 16, 2010, 10:57:29 pm »
I don't think I'll ever understand why people pay serious money for watches that aren't made by serious watch companies.

I know plenty of people who've spent big money on watches from fashion designers, and invariably the wathes have been utter shit. Even relatively cheap watches. A friend bought a Fossil watch at the outlet for about 60 quid, and pretty though it was, by the time we'd ridden back home (two hours), it was already falling apart.

I suppose it's related to the "Porsche bike" phenomenon where the name is far more important that actual quality.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #271 on: November 16, 2010, 11:26:39 pm »
Still wearing the one I got for my 21st from my parents which is this one:

Although the face on mine is white rather than black.

Might look at a new one for every day though. Had a really nice Sekonda one that my brother got me for my birthday about 3 years ago (after I lost another Sekonda one in Dublin a few days previously), was just a simple one with a leather strap, which did eventually break with the strain, at the buckle side but I got a good year's consistent wear out of it.

I might look at getting another one for every day and try and save the Guess one for special occasions. Thing with Sekonda is too that the prices aren't too steep but they're great quality.
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #272 on: December 2, 2010, 10:07:02 pm »
Whats Mont Blanc like...decent watches or just fashion brand?

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: December 2, 2010, 10:15:54 pm »
I don't think I'll ever understand why people pay serious money for watches that aren't made by serious watch companies.

I know plenty of people who've spent big money on watches from fashion designers, and invariably the wathes have been utter shit.

I agree, I wouldn't buy a shirt or a pair of jeans made by Omega.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: December 2, 2010, 11:07:02 pm »
Wondering whether to get one of these mental things:

(Time's about 1:50 on them by the way  :P)
« Last Edit: December 2, 2010, 11:09:04 pm by BazC »
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #275 on: December 3, 2010, 01:10:31 am »
Wondering whether to get one of these mental things:

I'm starting to quite like the style of some of the steampunk watches. The more subtle ones like this one are intriguing and remain reasonably elegant.

Unlike the seriously weird and wacky ones like this...

I believe this sort of strange stuff has quite a following in Japan though I suppose it would only take a Beckham to be seen wearing something like this one and everyone will jump in.

Offline willss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: February 25, 2011, 09:06:35 pm »
I like the tag watches but even the cheap ones are out of my price range.  Where's the best place to get one of these?

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #277 on: February 26, 2011, 10:19:29 pm »
Got this beauty off the Missus for my 50th, I'll need to work on my guns now as it weighs a ton:

G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #278 on: February 27, 2011, 12:26:39 pm »
Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean. Had one before, very foolishly sold it so I had to buy it again.

'It'll whisper to them of Liverpools five glorious European Cup victories"

Offline Terry_Tibbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: February 27, 2011, 12:56:53 pm »
I'm not one for spending loads on watches and still use the Tissot I got off the parents for my birthday 22 years ago as my main day to day watch with the Flightmaster as the occasional alternative and the Waveceptor for knocking about and weekend wearing.