Author Topic: Loris Karius  (Read 327557 times)

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
Re: Loris Karius
« Reply #2720 on: September 13, 2017, 07:20:53 pm »

It's 'gaffes' btw, but that's a really good point - we need to adjust to the idea of footballing 'keepers, just like we had to adjust to the idea of footballing defenders.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2721 on: September 13, 2017, 07:24:27 pm »
Important game, but a real opportunity for Karius tonight against Sevilla. Time to show his worth.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline wellred82

• Now considers himself properly educated around the significance of his birthday.....
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2722 on: September 13, 2017, 07:25:27 pm »
Basically he's Jurgen's man so Jurgen wants to force him to stick no matter how shaky he is. Could backfire though as he's never shown anything to suggest he's good enough for this level and it can't be good for Migs's confidence either.

Our defence is under enough scrutiny as it is so we shouldn't be looking for new problems where they don't exist.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #2723 on: September 13, 2017, 07:46:23 pm »
It's 'gaffes' btw, but that's a really good point - we need to adjust to the idea of footballing 'keepers, just like we had to adjust to the idea of footballing defenders.
Cheers mate. The irony of spelling gaffes wrong :D

Come on Karius. Have a blinder son!
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #2724 on: September 13, 2017, 07:47:32 pm »
Basically he's Jurgen's man so Jurgen wants to force him to stick no matter how shaky he is. Could backfire though as he's never shown anything to suggest he's good enough for this level and it can't be good for Migs's confidence either.

Our defence is under enough scrutiny as it is so we shouldn't be looking for new problems where they don't exist.
#positivity

Offline RedorRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2725 on: September 13, 2017, 07:52:21 pm »
0-1 after 6 mins

Offline peterstone

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2726 on: September 13, 2017, 07:53:57 pm »
Not Karius' fault. How many chances do you need to clear a football

Lovren  :butt

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2727 on: September 13, 2017, 07:56:56 pm »
We're barely into the game, can you at least contain yourselves until half time?

Offline Stockholm

• Main Stander
« Reply #2728 on: September 13, 2017, 08:00:00 pm »
0-1 after 6 mins

Kind of hard to blame Karius for that one.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #2729 on: September 17, 2017, 12:55:45 pm »
We're shaky anyway, get him in, get him over his nerves, get him settled and he'll be a better keeper than Mings for years

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2730 on: September 17, 2017, 01:04:56 pm »
0-1 after 6 mins

The goal wasn't his fault.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #2731 on: September 17, 2017, 01:34:31 pm »
Notice how Dyche pushed up forcing Mignolet to kick it long, then they dominated the aerial transitions? That was a useful tactic to use against us. Even though we had Solanke on - probably our best attacker in the air - we struggled against it. Mignolet didn't seem to have a solution to that problem, I wonder if Karius would given how keepers in Germany are coached specifically to play against being pressed like that.

I saw a video recently of a Bielsa team playing - I think it was Lille from a year - ago and how they used their keeper against the pressing sides. He was playing low arc balls into areas where we could overload and press to quickly regain it. With 3 players pushed on the keeper and defenders there was big spaces between the lines to play into like this. In open play, the center backs split and the forward pushed up on them to prevent an out ball. The #6 instead of dropping deep to collect and blocking the space in front of the keeper dragged his marker to one side. The keeper strode out with the ball into that space in open play a good 25 yards before finding a pass though the lines or playing a ball over the top for their pacey player. It was very interesting to watch and the keeper clearly had some massive cojones!

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #2732 on: September 17, 2017, 02:17:36 pm »
He was playing low arc balls into areas where we could overload and press to quickly regain it.

Exactly what Karius was doing last time

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #2733 on: September 18, 2017, 08:18:58 am »
What we really could do without is a stadium full of people who shit themselves and then shout about it. You're meant to be the fucking red army, act the part soggy arses.

This is bound to rattle a few on here.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #2734 on: September 18, 2017, 08:19:42 am »
About Karius. You'd have to think that the decision to play him in the CL is Klopp phasing him in for next season.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #2735 on: September 24, 2017, 03:44:28 am »
https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho/status/888355944962285569

Hadn't seen this before. Ryan Kent making it his goal in life to prepare Karius for crosses in the Premier League. :D That is an absolute wand of a left foot. Looks like Karius got rattled while punching it away too.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #2736 on: September 25, 2017, 11:16:35 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YN6xraYlZBo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YN6xraYlZBo</a>

The last question is interesting as I wasn't aware of it. Apparently had a similar first season at Mainz where he struggled for form when he started out but then grew into the role.

It looks similar but it's a bit different. He learned to see the positives in all situations, even the negative moments. You need to learn from them. He feels strong to use that, push on, play well now and use this chance. He doesn't worry about anything, just learns from all these experiences last season and all the seasons before.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2737 on: September 26, 2017, 12:24:07 am »
Karius is boss.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #2738 on: September 27, 2017, 12:46:59 am »
This is not a post match topic for hyperbolic shite.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2739 on: September 27, 2017, 12:53:22 am »
This is not a post match topic for hyperbolic shite.

Can we talk about his lovely hair at least?  There's surely no arguments about that?

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2740 on: September 27, 2017, 12:55:59 am »
The posts about Joe Hart have been removed.

Offline Elisha S

• talkin' 'bout my g-g-generation...
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #2741 on: September 27, 2017, 01:02:17 am »
Are we still barred from saying  he isn`t that good?

Mignolet would have got a hand to that free kick.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2742 on: September 27, 2017, 01:27:08 am »
You are asked to post ephemeral shite like that in the post match topic. That way, longer lived topics like this remain readable.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #2743 on: September 27, 2017, 01:32:10 am »
Interesting thing on that freekick - Spartak put a screen of 3 players to obscure Karius' view. But they put them on the wrong side of the wall. Which means I believe Karius thought the ball was going where the screen was and positioned himself more to cover the right post than the left. Because why put a screen there if you don't plan to shoot that side?

If you go and watch Coutinho's free kick tonight, or the one against Arsenal last season, you will see what I mean with how you place the screen. You put it where you plan to shoot to obscure the keepers view until the last minute. If the keeper doesn't see the ball until it's over the wall, usually by then he is already beaten due to the pace of the ball.

So he either tries to be clever guessing where the shot will go, or just simply positioned himself wrong. Either way it was a bad error and cost us which was a shame as he did the other little things right. But that doesn't matter when we concede.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2744 on: September 27, 2017, 01:39:17 am »
Feel for the lad right now. I think he looks so much steadier and confident right now compared to last season, but he will just get judged on conceding that goal (yes he should have saved it). He needs a run of games and I'd be tempted to start him in the premier league. I think he's a very talented  keeper, but his development is happening in very public glare and scrutiny.

Major thing is he looks more focused, isn't dwelling on the ball, and the defence seems comfortable with him behind them. Good thing is Klopp isn't a knee jerker and has the strength to back him.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2745 on: September 27, 2017, 04:35:45 am »
It'd be a lot more comfortable for him if we just scored the 4 or 5 goals per game we should be. Obviously goes for Simon too. But all keeper errors look better on the flipside of a big positive win.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline gloves

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2746 on: September 27, 2017, 04:51:20 am »
A lot of criticism over Karius for his starting position on the free kick but I think his position was fine. If you look at the picture he isn't that far across to his right. He is just slightly to the right of central. He just seems to react late - maybe he didn't have a good sight of the ball? It looks like they tried to block his view. But considering the free kick does finish more central than towards the corner ... I think he should save it. Also doesn't look like he got enough spring into his dive to get across. Maybe that's a consequence of the late reaction too.

Sorry, that was a long winded way of saying I thought his original positioning for the free kick was fine for those commenting otherwise haha!  :)

Offline sempi

• Sees Harry Styles Everywhere
  • Kopite
  • Gary, Gary Mac, he's got no hair but we don't care
« Reply #2747 on: September 27, 2017, 05:20:14 am »
A lot of criticism over Karius for his starting position on the free kick but I think his position was fine. If you look at the picture he isn't that far across to his right. He is just slightly to the right of central. He just seems to react late - maybe he didn't have a good sight of the ball? It looks like they tried to block his view. But considering the free kick does finish more central than towards the corner ... I think he should save it. Also doesn't look like he got enough spring into his dive to get across. Maybe that's a consequence of the late reaction too.

Sorry, that was a long winded way of saying I thought his original positioning for the free kick was fine for those commenting otherwise haha!  :)
You're still wrong, he is the one who supposed to position the wall.

Offline Frizzo

• Having a Bad Hair Life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2748 on: September 27, 2017, 05:24:34 am »

Yeah but he doesn't position the opposition players that are blocking his view.

Would have like to see some of our lads roughing their screen up a little more.

That split second when the ball leaves the boot is so crucial and he clearly didn't pick it up.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2749 on: September 27, 2017, 05:48:42 am »
It'd be a lot more comfortable for him if we just scored the 4 or 5 goals per game we should be. Obviously goes for Simon too. But all keeper errors look better on the flipside of a big positive win.

We shouldn't be scoring 4 or 5 goals per game nobody does that. We should be keeping more clean sheets.

Offline gloves

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2750 on: September 27, 2017, 06:07:12 am »

The wall is fine where it is but I was referring to the position in goal that he is standing and not where the wall is positioned.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #2751 on: September 27, 2017, 06:14:04 am »
The wall is a little too central for me. His positioning behind the wall is poor. And he is flat-footed and reacts too late to the free-kick. Probably because he is unsighted due to his poor positioning. Basically, he's at fault for their goal.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2752 on: September 27, 2017, 06:35:47 am »
Maybe a step to the left regarding the wall but it wouldn't have made much difference. The positioning is is fine from wall and keeper.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2753 on: September 27, 2017, 06:44:31 am »
I think he was too close to his goal line, a step forward would have cut down the angle and maybe got a hand on the shot.

Offline CIDER_RED

• Main Stander
« Reply #2754 on: September 27, 2017, 06:52:35 am »
Nice header later on.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2755 on: September 27, 2017, 06:56:43 am »
I can only remember 4 moments he was involved in. The free kick which has been talked about, a shot second half that's straight at him strangely decides to punch it but he did come out quickly for that header and got a decent punch on one of their crosses.

Offline gloves

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2756 on: September 27, 2017, 06:59:22 am »
I think he was too close to his goal line, a step forward would have cut down the angle and maybe got a hand on the shot.

This is a good shout. I wonder if it would still have got past him given his apparent late reaction to the shot though?

Offline dramared

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #2757 on: September 27, 2017, 07:17:53 am »
When watching last night (live and one replay) I just thought it was odd how it went past him. His arms were not fully extended and he didn't appear to push them to full extension as the ball was at him.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2758 on: September 27, 2017, 07:30:38 am »
He's waited until he sees the ball not gambled on it. He is probably caustious of the player trying to wrong foot him putting it the other side if he steps across early.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #2759 on: September 27, 2017, 07:38:46 am »
Surely at that level every keeper knows where to position their wall ? Or does it depend on the taker? If stevie G or coutiniho are lining it up, would you even bother 😁
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.